Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Mother & Pram boarding bus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

bobbyss wrote: »
    And the baby in the lashing rain?

Usually well wrapped in the warn and dry buggies with added protection of a waterproof rain cover .

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Rain coats, buggy covers, umbrellas..... Think people could use something like these.

I get wet standing for buses all the time and get no special treatment for boarding.....

• Registered Users Posts: 16,092 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Gatling wrote: »
    But yet people waiting an up to an hour in the lashing of rain should be skipped because someone has a buggy ehhhh no

She doesn't just have a buggy she has a baby in the buggy

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

iamwhoiam wrote: »
    She doesn't just have a buggy she has a baby in the buggy

Actually I've seen dogs in a buggy taking up a space on a bus hence why I say buggy.

But as I mentioned above warm dry Buggy with blankets coat and a weather proof cover .

Pretty cosy actually

• Registered Users Posts: 5,195 ✭✭✭bobbyss

Rain coats, buggy covers, umbrellas..... Think people could use something like these.

I get wet standing for buses all the time and get no special treatment for boarding.....

Hopefully they are used in wet weather. Mother and child should always get priority. Not everyone facilitates that- including me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

When I was on maternity leave I got the bus from the city centre a couple of times but gave up because it was hassle every time. People sitting in the priority seats (that had the specific buggy sign) and wouldn't move. I've had a middle aged man huff & puff when I asked him to reposition his massive suitcase so I'd at least have room to stand (while he remained seated)

I'd queue as I'd normally do but the bus may pull in behind another bus or pull in a few metres away then you're left hoping there'll be space when you board.

I'm not sure what people expect women to do? Just not leave the house?

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭n!ghtmancometh

I think at peak time in especially in the evenings, when you have been waiting at a stop in the pissing rain for 40+ mins because the last 3 67's have passed the stop full, it's every man (and woman) for themselves. I've seen plenty of women/men with toddlers in buggies (not tiny newborns who you'd worry taking out of pram on a bus) flat out refuse to or play dumb about folding buggies when wheelchair users are attempting to board too.

• Registered Users Posts: 294 ✭✭hollymartins

Not peak time, this would've been 2pm yet downstairs priority seats were occupied each time. The OP didn't mention wheelchair users which, along with elderly or disabled people, I have absolutely no issue with. Also my baby was less than 3 months old so still pretty small and people just didn't have any problem jostling past me.

I actually started driving to a Luas stop and travelling in to town from there just avoid the stress but there are parents who don't have that option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Just to clarify to people the priority seats are located on the second row of seats on the driver's side of the bus not the first row of flip down seats which are regular non priority seats on the SG class as no I know seem to think these are priority seats which they are not.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,647 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Just to clarify to people the priority seats are located on the second row of seats on the driver's side of the bus not the first row of flip down seats which are regular non priority seats on the SG class as no I know seem to think these are priority seats which they are not.

These are designed for the buggy user.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

When I was on maternity leave I got the bus from the city centre a couple of times but gave up because it was hassle every time. People sitting in the priority seats (that had the specific buggy sign) and wouldn't move. I've had a middle aged man huff & puff when I asked him to reposition his massive suitcase so I'd at least have room to stand (while he remained seated)

I'd queue as I'd normally do but the bus may pull in behind another bus or pull in a few metres away then you're left hoping there'll be space when you board.

I'm not sure what people expect women to do? Just not leave the house?

Oh Hollymartins,I do hope you will email Bus Atha Cliath...The NTA...(Who are now in charge of vehicle specification) and perhaps the E.U....because you have hit the :eek: BULLSEYE ! :eek:

The two flip-down seats you reference are NOT priority at all,but (foolishly) intended to make the SG types seating capacity appear greater than it is,particularly as the 20 year old AV/AX design they replace,have substantially greater capacity.

The Flip-Downs merely act as a magnet for quarrelsome,anti-social types who,immediately claim ownership,even when the bus has plenty of alternative seats available.
    Removing these seats (as TfL are doing in London),would IMMEDIATELY improve the situation for both Buggy and Wheelchair using customers,but the earnest young NTA graduate engineers will not countenance it (Most likely due to a certain unfamiliarity with actually travelling on the vehicles they craft).

Retrofitting a padded perimiter bum-perch,and some hanging straps would provide a far more cosmopolitan and realistic solution to peak-time travel demands,whilst still allowing the open-space to be used for it's intended purpose.

There is,however,the as yet unanswered,conundrum about the limits of what a Large Passenger Carrying vehicle can achieve,in terms of accomodating ambulatory non-dependent customers,whilst simultaneously allowing for the safe-carriage of an ever increasing range of wheeled contrivances,not all of which are carrying children.

Standee buses,common elsewhere in Europe,remain significantly less popular in the UK and Ireland,where people place significant value on getting a seat.

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

Last week I was on a packed bus. Both mother and father had a buggy on the bus. The mother was moaning about how people who live close to the city using this bus instead of waiting for others because this particularly service wasn't that frequent (33). I said it just like parents getting on the bus and not folding up the buggy and considering others. She had no excuse as her partner was standing next to her.

There wasn't a word out of her for the rest of the journey.

You see the same sense of entitlement of parents on trains and thinking they can just get somebody to move seats from where wheelchairs are meant to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,673 ✭✭✭✭Jamie2k9

lawred2 wrote: »
    Couldn't give a toss about the mother but I don't like to see infants and toddlers left on the side of the street.

So if a bus is full and ready to leave and you see a mother and child running for it. Do you expect people to be left behind to accommodate them just because she has a child.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

AlekSmart wrote: »
    Oh Hollymartins,I do hope you will email Bus Atha Cliath...The NTA...(Who are now in charge of vehicle specification) and perhaps the E.U....because you have hit the :eek: BULLSEYE ! :eek:

The two flip-down seats you reference are NOT priority at all,but (foolishly) intended to make the SG types seating capacity appear greater than it is,particularly as the 20 year old AV/AX design they replace,have substantially greater capacity.

The Flip-Downs merely act as a magnet for quarrelsome,anti-social types who,immediately claim ownership,even when the bus has plenty of alternative seats available.
    Removing these seats (as TfL are doing in London),would IMMEDIATELY improve the situation for both Buggy and Wheelchair using customers,but the earnest young NTA graduate engineers will not countenance it (Most likely due to a certain unfamiliarity with actually travelling on the vehicles they craft).

Retrofitting a padded perimiter bum-perch,and some hanging straps would provide a far more cosmopolitan and realistic solution to peak-time travel demands,whilst still allowing the open-space to be used for it's intended purpose.

There is,however,the as yet unanswered,conundrum about the limits of what a Large Passenger Carrying vehicle can achieve,in terms of accomodating ambulatory non-dependent customers,whilst simultaneously allowing for the safe-carriage of an ever increasing range of wheeled contrivances,not all of which are carrying children.

Standee buses,common elsewhere in Europe,remain significantly less popular in the UK and Ireland,where people place significant value on getting a seat.

As I'm sure you are aware the SG have a greater total seating and standing capacity than any other twin axle bus in city service in Dublin with a capacity for 95 passengers vs 91 on an AV/AX. Perhaps by removing the two flip down seats introduce the solutions you mentioned they could further increase the standing capacity on these buses.

The introduction a new class of hybrid buses should present an oppurtunity to the NTA to implement the solutions nessecary to increase standing capacity such as the ones you outlined or they could just continue with a similar design to the SG class as it is now.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,005 ✭✭✭✭AlekSmart

Stephen15 wrote: »
    As I'm sure you are aware the SG have a greater total seating and standing capacity than any other twin axle bus in city service in Dublin with a capacity for 95 passengers vs 91 on an AV/AX. Perhaps by removing the two flip down seats introduce the solutions you mentioned they could further increase the standing capacity on these buses.

The introduction a new class of hybrid buses should present an oppurtunity to the NTA to implement the solutions nessecary to increase standing capacity such as the ones you outlined or they could just continue with a similar design to the SG class as it is now.

Indeed,and as you may be probably equally aware,the posted total capacity of the vehicles is derived from the manufacturers plated Gross Vehicle Weight figure ie: the total all-up weight,which for a 2 axle bus cannot exceed 19.5 tonnes.

Given that the Gemini 3 SG product is 650 Kg lighter than the GT for example,it is therefore allowed to carry 10 more "additional passengers" (at a notional weight of 65Kg's each) The posted "Standing Capacity" figure bears NO relationship to the actual capacity when referring to additional passengers.

The seating capacity however,refers to actual seats,with no doubt as to the number occupying each seat.

Make no mistake,an AV/AX will easily outcarry an SG,irrespective of what interpretation is placed upon the Capacity Plate. ;)

Men, it has been well said, think in herds; it will be seen that they go mad in herds, while they only recover their senses slowly, and one by one.

Charles Mackay (1812-1889)

Advertisement