Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

1 hour commute to work

2»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,644 ✭✭✭✭punisher5112

_Kaiser_ wrote: »
    I do a very similar trip and it'll definitely take more than an hour. If travelling on the M7 you'll regularly get stuck in traffic from the Carlow merge onwards (I'm not at all convinced that an extra lane will solve the muppetry that goes on as drivers jump across lanes there), and the only way up from there to the M4 is either via Naas South or the Kill exit to Maynooth (unless you want to wreck the car on crap back roads, or come off at Newbridge and add time there)

90 minutes on a good day would be more likely but it could easily be more than that.

Cameras and actual rule enforcement would solve many issues.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,907 ✭✭✭Stephen15

Buy a motorcycle.
    Buy quality clothing for all seasons.
    Get your test.

Enjoy your commute.

Live a little.

Been doing it for years.

(you dont even have to ride fast)

Grand if your single of course not sure if most fellas other halves would be too happy with them on a bike unless they were into bikes themselves.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,140 ✭✭✭James Bond Junior

Stephen15 wrote: »
    Grand if your single of course not sure if most fellas other halves would be too happy with them on a bike unless they were into bikes themselves.

I would consider a bike as it would suit my commute but I have been categorically told I'm on my own if a bike comes into the house. And I run a daily car as well as summer toy so it can't be said she isn't sympathetic of my petrol fuelled indulgences.

I don't doubt that is a common theme in many houses.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

D8d

D8d

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,735 Mod ✭✭✭✭Manach

Between 1hr 20 to 1hr 40 is my commute time. Thankfully I read a lot on the train and audio books are excellent use of the time.

• Registered Users Posts: 64 ✭✭SilverKrest

We have staff travelling to north Dublin from Waterford, Wexford, Sligo, Tipperary, Laois, Offaly, Cavan, Monaghan, Tyrone and it doesn't seem to be a problem for them. I'd say 1 hour is very manageable.

Sligo to north dublin is about 2 and half hours!

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 17,135 Mod ✭✭✭✭cherryghost

Anything over an hour each way can be soul crushing, especially when commuting around the Dublin belt. Think about losing 10 hours a week? For years? You'll spend about 20 full days of your life a year sitting in traffic. I'd always prefer a shorter commute over higher pay tbh. It's often not really worth it in the end and life is short.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,440 ✭✭✭cdaly_

sharper wrote: »
    I have been considering it and if there was a segregated cycle route the whole way I'd definitely do it even if it took longer because it would definitely be less stressful.

There will be soon. The Royal Canal from Maynooth to North Strand is currently getting a greenway upgrade and will be a lovely car-free commute.

It's worth a try even now though you'd need to walk between Porterstown and Coolmine station...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 864 ✭✭✭Boardnashea

Maybe someone nearby would like to car pool occasionally. Cut down on cost and impact of long commute. Lots from that area are working in Lucan

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,201 ✭✭✭ongarboy

Carpooling can be hard when you don't have guaranteed finish times each day (despite what your contract says). If your job has a set finish time that everyone can leave on the dot (ie the civil service) then fine but many firms don't have this precision (eg a crisis that has to be fixed today arises five minutes before you leave etc). I'd hate having that added pressure then knowing someone is waiting for me to collect/be collected.

One hour is manageable for driving - anything additional would take it's toll (on top of the motorway tolls! :)). Train commuting is quite relaxing....as long as you have a seat.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 491 ✭✭B_ecke_r

any option to work remotely to cut down the travel over the week?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,104 ✭✭✭Swampy

1 hour and ten mins a day each way. 25 mins walking the rest on a train. It's the price of working in the city.

Could you change hour hours so that t have to be in at 9.?

Advertisement