Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

JACK THE RIPPER

• 06-01-2017 11:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭

Ever since I saw the Michael Caine BBC 2 part series on Jack the Ripper I have been fascinated

Has there ever been a more intriguing serial killer?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,750 ✭✭✭Avatar MIA

Has there ever been a more intriguing serial killer?

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull?

Non stereotypical AH response...

He's definitely up there, more so because he was never uncovered. The zodiac killer deserves a dishonourable mention for similar reasons.

• Registered Users Posts: 50 ✭✭XavierBoThang

The Zodiac is one of my favourites. Creepy as hell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,077 ✭✭✭Patser

Recently read Alan Moorevs 'From Hell' graphic novel. Intriguing theory, and the edition I read had a good post script article all about the various Ripper theories over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Have you read 'From Hell' by Alan Moore? The graphic novel, not the film adaptation. Its f**king class work, way better and darker than the film

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,256 ✭✭✭metaoblivia

East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker is up there too - more victims than Jack and Zodiac and he used to call his victims (the ones he didn't murder) afterwards and taunt them. Never caught.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,460 ✭✭✭Barry Badrinath

Barry the Banger was rampant is south Carlow during the 80's.

It was so notorious, there was even a kids skipping rhyme.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,841 ✭✭✭buried

Patser wrote: »
    Recently read Alan Moorevs 'From Hell' graphic novel. Intriguing theory, and the edition I read had a good post script article all about the various Ripper theories over time.

Snap! I bought nearly every single reference book Moore cited in those post scripts too! The P.D James book "The Maul & The Pear Tree" about the Ratcliffe Highway murders in 1811 was very good too

"You have disgraced yourselves again" - W. B. Yeats

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,813 ✭✭✭Noveight

There was a "Your Favourite Serial Killer" thread here on AH a few weeks back, threw up some very interesting names.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Luis Garavito

A devil walking the earth, truly disgusting and vile excuse for a human being.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,875 ✭✭✭A Little Pony

He has become such a myth people now say he is a legend. Funny what times does, if you lived in that time he was an absolute lunatic, now seen as a mythical legendary English figure hiding in the shadows.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

The Beltway Snipers in Washington DC were very bold. Cruising around with one of the lads in the boot shooting through a little hole they made. Got schools closed down and people were afraid to go for petrol and stuff. Garages had to erect tarps on their forecourts so people could fill up. Naughty altogether.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/D._C._sniper_attacks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 990 ✭✭✭Ted111

Relatively speaking he wasn't that prolific.
    In other words other serial killers have killed far more.
    However due to notoriety and a catchy name he took on a mantle beyond the level of murders he committed.
    He operated just before the age of criminal forensic science.
    The fact that royals and other aristocrats partook of low level prostitutes fed ample gossip and stories.

Many competing theories on exactly who he was, each completely sure they have the right man.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,205 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

The Zodiac is one of my favourites. Creepy as hell.

The zodiac killer has to be dead by now. Terrible isn't it? He did all that evil but yet got away with it. Even if the truth came out wouldn't make much difference now.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,162 ✭✭✭MadDog76

Jack The Ripper and The Zodiac Killer are the top 2 serial killer cases in my opinion.

Have to agree

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

He has become such a myth people now say he is a legend. Funny what times does, if you lived in that time he was an absolute lunatic, now seen as a mythical legendary English figure hiding in the shadows.

When enough time passes, just about everything will become a Legend.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

East Area Rapist/Original Night Stalker is up there too - more victims than Jack and Zodiac and he used to call his victims (the ones he didn't murder) afterwards and taunt them. Never caught.

Google 'unresolved podcast ' there is a very good two part podcast on the nightstalker.

Google 'unresolved podcast ' there is a very good two part podcast on the nightstalker.

I've listened to it! I'm really interested in true crime and ONS is one of the most fascinating cases, imo.

Who killed Jon Bennett Ramsey?

• Advertisement

H. H. Holmes

Basically he bought a hotel and turned it into what was called a Murder Castle.
    Some were locked in soundproof bedrooms fitted with gas lines that let him asphyxiate them at any time. Some victims were taken to one of the rooms on the second floor, called the "secret hanging chamber," where Holmes hanged them. Other victims were locked in a huge soundproof bank vault near his office, where they were left to suffocate. There was also a secret room that was completely sealed by solid brick that could only be entered through a trapdoor in the ceiling; Holmes would lock his victims in this room for days to die of hunger and thirst

He was charged with 27 murders, but they think he killed 200+ people.

With regards to the Beltway Snipers, they were one of the first times I've heard of killers using the media - it was once reported that a white van was what was being used for the killings. They would wait until a white van passed before before shooting.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,465 ✭✭✭✭darkpagandeath

Indiana Jones and the Crystal Skull?

superman returns

superman returns

I liked all the superman movies. :o

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭fuzzydunlop85

I've listened to it! I'm really interested in true crime and ONS is one of the most fascinating cases, imo.

Any other true crime podcasts you would recommend ?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,141 ✭✭✭Stealthfins

That guy Brendan O Donnell who killed Imelda Reilly her kid and the priest in Clare could be considered a serial killer.

I remember I was very young back then and we were shtting ourselves,he could appear out on the road anywhere.

It's a wonder there was never a movie made about that,it was horrific.

Any other true crime podcasts you would recommend ?

My Favorite Murder, Last Podcast on the Left, Strange Matters and Thinking Sideways. The last two are more dedicated to mysteries in general, not just true crime but there's obviously some overlap.

Advertisement