Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Irish Cancer Society: 1 in 2?!

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,312 ✭✭✭✭Galwayguy35

I'd believe those figures, cancer killed 2 of my uncles and my father and an aunt had it as well but survived.

Anything that raises awareness is a good thing IMO.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,857 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

scdublin wrote: »
    Hope you don't mind me asking, what exactly are the consequences of chemo? I currently know 3 people going through it at the moment, all diagnosed within the last year. Before that I was lucky enough to not have had anyone very close to me get it.

Theres lots of different negative consequences. My sister has chronic fatigue as a result of cancer treatment. (The cause of cancer fatigue hasn't been fully determined though?)

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 7,458 Mod ✭✭✭✭CathyMoran

Hope you don't mind me asking, what exactly are the consequences of chemo? I currently know 3 people going through it at the moment, all diagnosed within the last year. Before that I was lucky enough to not have had anyone very close to me get it.
    One of mine was that it damaged my kidneys. I also still have chronic fatigue like the sister of Joeytheparrot though it is hard to distinguish what was a result of the chemo or the surgery.

I had my esophagus removed so cannot eat a lot and food can randomly run through me, certain foods have to be totally avoided as they can make me very ill. I also still get pain from the ribs that they had to break during the surgery.

People say that it is 10 years so I need to 'move on' - how can I when I live with the consequences every day though I am grateful to be a mother.

I had my children post treatment so my life changed beyond recognition in a good way when I had them.

I have a lot of friends who have survived but also have some who died. There are less support groups for younger adults.

There are some cancers that get more visible support though cancers such as lung cancer do not which is terrible.

The Irish Cancer Society latest adds are not great in my opinion as I have said before but if they open debate and get someone to check a worrying symptom then they are worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭scdublin

CathyMoran wrote: »
    One of mine was that it damaged my kidneys.  I also still have chronic fatigue like the sister of Joeytheparrot though it is hard to distinguish what was a result of the chemo or the surgery.

I had my esophagus removed so cannot eat a lot and food can randomly run through me, certain foods have to be totally avoided as they can make me very ill.  I also still get pain from the ribs that they had to break during the surgery.

People say that it is 10 years so I need to 'move on' - how can I when I live with the consequences every day though I am grateful to be a mother.

Thanks so much for explaining. I'll have to be more aware of these things going forward.
    I think people are being insensitive telling you to move on, it's surely a life changing thing to have happened to you and still affects your day to day life.

Advertisement