Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Unnamed company got 150 million tax return

Options
2»

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

cinnamony wrote: »
    It happened to us in 2011 as well and they told us they could not pay us back because the state could not afford it as a result of the crash.

If that is true, and I'll be honest I don't believe it is, I'd be going straight to a solicitor. You should also contact one of the national papers as I'm sure they'd be very interested in running that story.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,157 ✭✭✭srsly78

It happened to us in 2011 as well and they told us they could not pay us back because the state could not afford it as a result of the crash.

Noone believes you, what a ridiculous story.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31,152 ✭✭✭✭KERSPLAT!

I thought you asked how I knew the company was overtaxed not my parents. I know my parents were overtaxed because we received a letter stating it as well as the amount we were over taxed by.

This happened twice...?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,417 ✭✭✭✭Blazer

Fúcking hell. I'd say it put a smile on your face when you checked the bank balance and seen that had gone through.

It certainly did...but in fairness I easily spend that credit in a year on tuition, speech therapy and all the aids he requires..it probably evens out for the poor support he gets from the state but I rather they kept it all and invested it in special needs etc. I'd happily trade it all in the morning for him to be a normal child and be able to play with children his own age.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

What year/s did they pay too much tax and what year did they recieve the letter?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

I'm nit saying they were over taxed I'm saying if they were overtaxed 150 milion that is alarming.

We were told the State cant afford to pay us back
    I'm sorry, but that's complete bull that you're spouting there.

I claimed a €2k tax refund at the bottom of the recession and I got the cheque in 3 weeks.

Either someone has done a runner with your family's money and is lying to you about it, or you're spinning yarns.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 383 ✭✭cinnamony

If that is true, and I'll be honest I don't believe it is, I'd be going straight to a solicitor. You should also contact one of the national papers as I'm sure they'd be very interested in running that story.

To be honest it was in 2011 so i dont think it matters now. To be honest I think it may be a matter of sometimes you get an incompetent employee. For example I was charged emergency tax when I left my first job I went to the Revenue 3 times before I sorted it out and the person who finally did sort it out had it done pretty quickly and tbh I got that money back quickly too. There's incompetent people everywhere and just because you had a good experience somewhere doesn't mean it will always be good or it will be so for everyone else.

Stheno wrote: »
    What year/s did they pay too much tax and what year did they recieve the letter?

We got it in October 2011 I think and they overpaid tax for a few years. But because my parents never even finished secondary school and know nothing about this they hadn't know until we got the letter

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

We got it in October 2011 I think and they overpaid tax for a few years. But because my parents never even finished secondary school and know nothing about this they hadn't know until we got the letter

If you overpay tax and dont claim it back within either four or five years you cant then claim it back, there is a time limit on claiming refunds

Edit i checked. Its four years

• Registered Users Posts: 4,366 ✭✭✭beggars_bush

Probably an export rebate or something

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

To be honest it was in 2011 so i dont think it matters now. To be honest I think it may be a matter of sometimes you get an incompetent employee. For example I was charged emergency tax when I left my first job I went to the Revenue 3 times before I sorted it out and the person who finally did sort it out had it done pretty quickly and tbh I got that money back quickly too. There's incompetent people everywhere and just because you had a good experience somewhere doesn't mean it will always be good or it will be so for everyone else.

I've no doubt there are some feckless eejits working in revenue, same as everywhere but there is no way in hell they would refuse to pay you back the €30,000 you overpaid because the state has no money especially when they sent you a letter stating it. What did the letter say. "We owe you 30,000 but the country's broke as a joke so tough shít."

Why would they even send you a letter if there was no intention of Revenue paying it back?

I've no doubt there are some feckless eejits working in revenue, same as everywhere but there is no way in hell they would refuse to pay you back the €30,000 you overpaid because the state has no money especially when they sent you a letter stating it. What did the letter say. "We owe you 30,000 but the country's broke as a joke so tough shít."

Why would they even send you a letter if there was no intention of Revenue paying it back?

See my post above?

See my post above?

Yeah I know but according to him it was because the country was too broke to afford it as opposed to them not claiming it back in time.

If you overpay tax and dont claim it back within either four or five years you cant then claim it back, there is a time limit on claiming refunds

Edit i checked. Its four years

Thanks for checking, like I said my parents aren't educated on the matter and as such don't check these things.

The letter stated how much they were owed (30k) and I only remember then we went to talk to someone about it and we were told they couldn't give anything back to us (since the tax was overpaid over a number of years i would imagine we were not entitled to some of it due to not having claimed it before the 4 years had passed as Stheno stated) I dont remember the letter saying that they couldn't afford to pay us back. The person we spoke too said that.

• Administrators, Entertainment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,712 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭hullaballoo

It would not be unusual for revenue to have to make large repayments on a frequent basis to some large companies whose business processes mean they are only in profit one in every 2-3 financial years but will have had to pay preliminary tax on the ridiculous assumption that every business grows year-on-year by 10%.

Normally, I would think that revenue account for the companies that have such cyclical income streams and allow for it. I'd say this year, they were relying on a large company's profits that failed to materialise for whatever reason, such as reinvestment of the profits in upgrades for the business or just a very bad year.

Advertisement