Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cameras, Helmet or Bike mounted

Options
  • 24-04-2019 11:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 700 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys,

can anyone offer advice or experience of lower cost camers kits for riding, not for purpose of youtubing, more for the insurance juts in case type purposes.

and do you mount to helmet or bike,

TIA

Loz

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭schaffer

I use an old gopro4 on a chest mount as my "dash cam".
    I find the helmet mounting causes too much wind buffeting at higher speeds.
    Already paid it's worth in a recent accident as there could be no argument with the video.
    Just make sure your speedo is not visible.
    Look for older gopro models or the Chinese alternatives such as Yi. You don't need better than 1080p. Also invest in a large memory card and extra batteries depending on the length of your commute.

I've been using a Drift Stealth 2 for the last two years now. Video quality is good. Mostly trouble free, a while back it stopped working while the continuous recording function was on. Works fine with that switched off now, just means I have to manually delete old footage every now and then. One of the plastic tabs that clip it onto the helmet mount has snapped off after nearly two years, still feels secure though.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Whatever you buy, you want it to be easy, because if there is any faffing around with it, You simple will stop using it.

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

Hard wired bike mounted is as easy as it gets, loop recording on large card.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,618 ✭✭✭✭listermint

thos wrote: »
    Hard wired bike mounted is as easy as it gets, loop recording on large card.

Id be of the same opinion, despite me owning a go pro.

The only downside is you need a wide view camera for fixed. As the head mounted movement can be excellent from a view perspective you would want to get as similar to that as you can. hence widerview and wired.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭thos

listermint wrote: »
    Id be of the same opinion, despite me owning a go pro.

The only downside is you need a wide view camera for fixed. As the head mounted movement can be excellent from a view perspective you would want to get as similar to that as you can. hence widerview and wired.

Yes, you lose perspective from the fixed mount alright. My last one was out front of the bike, so you had no reference point from the bike, and couldn't see what I was doing, was I doing a life-saver, looking a different direction, was I indicating / braking / changing gear etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

Bought a hardwired dual cam unit from aliexpress, including gps.
    The GPS isn't worth it was it takes too long to get a signal, but the front and back cameras are great. There was a thread here on it.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057779331/6/#post107256905

• Registered Users Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Blanchy90

Bought a hardwired dual cam unit from aliexpress, including gps.
    The GPS isn't worth it was it takes too long to get a signal, but the front and back cameras are great. There was a thread here on it.
    https://touch.boards.ie/thread/2057779331/6/#post107256905

That looks like a good piece of kit

• Registered Users Posts: 38 dec_82

I have a drift ghost 4k and works well. I had it on the helmet first but then I moved it to the mount at the front and I have a more stable picture. Watching it back was making me sick when it was on the helmet :)

They have a new one now thats just 1080p and a lot cheaper so I'd probably go for that if I was buying now.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 13,381 Mod ✭✭✭✭Paulw

I have a Contour Roam 3 on the side of my lid. Good view, not heavy and records for about 3 hours.

I also have a GoPro Session on the front of the bike. Small and handy, but only lasts about 40-50min.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,054 ✭✭✭Zipppy

second hand gopro4...its fab..bike mounted.. I tried loads of cheaper crap but go4 is great..

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭KT10

dec_82 wrote: »
    They have a new one now thats just 1080p and a lot cheaper so I'd probably go for that if I was buying now.

Drift Ghost X, great piece of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭IJS84

I got 2 off amazon (1 facing ahead, 1 facing behind), about €20/€25 each and the picture quality is good off them, not go pro good but for what you've stated above for insurance etc., they're the job. Ill have a look and post a link, they can be chest/bike/lid mounted

Advertisement