Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Latin translation help

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,162 ✭✭✭Wyldwood

Matrimomium hoc ex speciali licentia Arch... celebratum est - This marriage is celebrated by special ? licence.
    Can't read the word beginning with Arch..??

• Registered Users Posts: 654 ✭✭✭Mick Tator

In bannis dispensatum est (banns are dispensed [with]) and Matrimonium hoc ex speciale licentia archepisc. Celebratum est (This marriage was celebrated by special licence from the archbishop.)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

I knew Mick would get it!

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    I knew Mick would get it!
    :D:D In fairness, you were almost there and Wyldwood had it too, I was typing when s/he posted. I wonder why the banns were dispensed with. it's sorta unusual. Could there have been an advanced pregnancy?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,295 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Mick Tator wrote: »
    :D:D In fairness, you were almost there and Wyldwood had it too, I was typing when s/he posted. I wonder why the banns were dispensed with. it's sorta unusual. Could there have been an advanced pregnancy?
    From looking at the last paragraphs at https://www.irishfamilyhistorycentre.com/article/how-to-avoid-an-illicit-marriage-marriage-banns it seems that some banns involved the marriage not happening at the church. Could ill health force the marriage to happen at their home, to facilitate joining of land and/or business, as opposed to a romantic joining?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

Thank you everyone! I love how helpful this board is, thank you.

But I do wonder why the special treatment? The first child was born a respectable 11 months later, the groom was a tradesman (brass finisher) so I doubt it was for business reasons.

The bride was from Wicklow (Glascolmane? The closest I could think of is Liscolman?), which is a little unusual, the rest of the marriages in the family were all Dublin North.

Any ideas, hive mind?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,115 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

rusheens wrote: »
    Thank you everyone! I love how helpful this board is, thank you.

But I do wonder why the special treatment? The first child was born a respectable 11 months later, the groom was a tradesman (brass finisher) so I doubt it was for business reasons.

The bride was from Wicklow (Glascolmane? The closest I could think of is Liscolman?), which is a little unusual, the rest of the marriages in the family were all Dublin North.

Any ideas, hive mind?

Just to confirm for you, Liscolman is down as Glascolman in the Hearth Money Rolls.
    "In the half Barony of Shilelah there were 555 homes inhabitated taking in the parishes of Ahool, Glasscolman, Mullincuffe, Macoon, Cornove, and Killavin, 231 of these homes had one hearth, 40 were the proud owners of more than one and Richard Whineat esq, occupied a palatial residence with six Hearths at Coolatin."

rusheens wrote: »
    ……But I do wonder why the special treatment??
    It wasn’t ‘very’ special but is just somewhat unusual. My guess is that it was because the bride was marrying outside her home parish.

the_syco wrote: »
    From looking at the last paragraphs at https://www.irishfamilyhistorycentre.com/article/how-to-avoid-an-illicit-marriage-marriage-banns it seems that some banns involved the marriage not happening at the church. Could ill health force the marriage to happen at their home, to facilitate joining of land and/or business, as opposed to a romantic joining?
    Not all banns terminated in a marriage, there could have been a change of mind by one of the parties. It had nothing to do with the marriage being held in a church or home, banns were for 'impediments'.In that period a ‘home’ marriage was possible but very infrequent. It could be for health reasons as you suggest but I believe it usually was associated with the economic and social standing of the family.

Until the mid 1700’s marriages could take place anywhere provided they were done by an ordained clergyman of the Established Church. This allowed ‘secret marriages’ to sneak in, those that did not have parental consent and some which were consanguineous or bigamous. This was stopped by the Marriage Act of 1753 which required that all marriages to be legally binding should be conducted by an ordained minister in a parish church of the Established Church. That also included the marriage of Catholics, but usually was ignored by them. For those under 21 parental consent was required by the Act and any clergyman that disobeyed this could be fined or even transported. There are cases of Established Church clergymen prosecuting RC priests for breaching this law. Prior to that Act home marriages were quite frequent and in some social classes were the norm.

Banns cover a different aspect, as the article you referenced describes, and in short were to ‘discover’ any impediment to the marriage.

The ’73 Act was repealed by the Marriage Act of 1836 which allowed non-conformists and Catholics to be married in their own places of worship.
    The only ‘in the home’ marriages I have encountered are three in my maternal and paternal lines. All were daughters of wealthy individuals, took place in the homes of the brides, and two brides went on to have several children.
    One was in Co. Limerick in 1848 and the Marriage Register makes no mention of the ceremony being held in the home – I picked that info up in a newspaper article (Dublin Weekly Register).
    Another was in Co. Tipp., 1854, again it was a newspaper (Cork Examiner) announcement that gave the info. The bride’s brother was a priest, he performed the ceremony and it was a well-known family.
    The third was in Cork City in 1911 and marriage register (Civil) has ‘Married in the Roman Catholic Church’ crossed out and her home address inserted. I've no idea what is in the church register.

(edit - sorry for going off Latin topic, move if required)

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

It wasn’t ‘very’ special but is just somewhat unusual. My guess is that it was because the bride was marrying outside her home parish.

Not all banns terminated in a marriage, there could have been a change of mind by one of the parties. It had nothing to do with the marriage being held in a church or home, banns were for 'impediments'.In that period a ‘home’ marriage was possible but very infrequent. It could be for health reasons as you suggest but I believe it usually was associated with the economic and social standing of the family.

Until the mid 1700’s marriages could take place anywhere provided they were done by an ordained clergyman of the Established Church. This allowed ‘secret marriages’ to sneak in, those that did not have parental consent and some which were consanguineous or bigamous. This was stopped by the Marriage Act of 1753 which required that all marriages to be legally binding should be conducted by an ordained minister in a parish church of the Established Church. That also included the marriage of Catholics, but usually was ignored by them. For those under 21 parental consent was required by the Act and any clergyman that disobeyed this could be fined or even transported. There are cases of Established Church clergymen prosecuting RC priests for breaching this law. Prior to that Act home marriages were quite frequent and in some social classes were the norm.

Banns cover a different aspect, as the article you referenced describes, and in short were to ‘discover’ any impediment to the marriage.

The ’73 Act was repealed by the Marriage Act of 1836 which allowed non-conformists and Catholics to be married in their own places of worship.

The Marriage Act 1753 was an English act which did not apply in Ireland. Similarly with the Marriage Act 1836. As far as I know, there was no similar legislation in Ireland until 1844. Certainly, in a case involving an ancestor of mine in 1812, the issues were bigamy and lack of parental consent, and the secrecy of the marriage was not mentioned as a problem.

Technically correct, but the Church followed them in Canon Law which is why for e.g. there is a Schultz Register. edit Schulze

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭Earnest

Technically correct, but the Church followed them in Canon Law which is why for e.g. there is a Schultz Register. edit Schulze

So Catholic marriages were not allowed to be secret by the Church, but other marriages were allowed to be secret by the State?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

Can we keep this thread for just deciphering Latin please?

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users Posts: 16 rusheens

spurious wrote: »
    Just to confirm for you, Liscolman is down as Glascolman in the Hearth Money Rolls.
    "In the half Barony of Shilelah there were 555 homes inhabitated taking in the parishes of Ahool, Glasscolman, Mullincuffe, Macoon, Cornove, and Killavin, 231 of these homes had one hearth, 40 were the proud owners of more than one and Richard Whineat esq, occupied a palatial residence with six Hearths at Coolatin."

Thank you so much for clarifying this for me

Advertisement