Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Guy Bumming Money

Options
  • 19-04-2021 2:57am
    Registered Users Posts: 9,717 ✭✭✭

Outside stores or stations. Do they not get dole money?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,729 ✭✭✭✭Charlie19

I think you need a fixed address to obtain the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 544 ✭✭✭agoodpunt

focus ireland is a charity maybe others that provides that service giving dole for the homeless afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 4,325 ✭✭✭iLikeWaffles

YFlyer wrote: »

I feel like there's a song in this....

or sanitary expectations

• Registered Users Posts: 11,128 ✭✭✭✭Oranage2

I hear they all have mansions in Dalkey

The security guards use walkie talkies

• Advertisement

Homeless services and hostels are used a fixed addresses for the homeless to claim social welfare, In the last year rough sleepers haven't needed a fixed address and could claim pandemic welfare payments without the need to sign on weekly or monthly.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,243 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

Penny for the guy?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,936 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I thought the KLF were at it again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

To bum a fag sounds less innocent now than 20 years ago.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Charlie19 wrote: »
    I think you need a fixed address to obtain the dole.

I think homeless services can provide that, if they're homeless.

Out beside me (Dublin 13) there's 3 different families (they may be related) tapping outside shops and petrol stations but they've all got houses/apartments. In fact- one family tap outside the shop I can see from my balcony and to my right I can see their apartment- tidy!

I know quite a lot of beggars in Dublin City- most of the ones I know have housing (not hostels).

I was chatting last week to one of the guys sleeping in a tent under the Gaeity awning. He gets the dole. Doesn't need to sign on at the moment either because of Covid. He won't stay in a hostel as he finds them too dangerous. Now in fairness he said he'd pissed off the wrong people in the hostels so he created the danger for himself.

Not everyone begging is homeless. Far from in my experience.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

no one needs to beg,
    they get paid 200 euro per week,
    they want money for cigarettes ,drink ,maybe drugs,
    theres focus and soup kitchens outside the gpo,
    i see a sign every day ,hungry need food,
    a beggar 500 yards from focus,on the bridge.
    thats bullsh1t,
    she could get 2 dinners every day free.
    they register as homeless ,they get paid from any post office every week.
    NO one in ireland needs to beg,
    unless maybe they are a drug addict.
    no one in ireland is starving unless they are too lazy to walk to as soup kitchen.
    would you want to sleep in a hostel full of drug users or people who might be dangerous ?
    easier to stay in a tent and ts not even cold at the moment.
    services go around delivering food and hot drinks at 11pm.

Nice to know After Hours is still full of shit topics and even shitier users.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,215 ✭✭✭monseiur

RTE did a programme on beggers in Dublin city two or three years ago.
    It seems the majority of them came from a certain east European country and were working for a highly orgnaised crime gang. Their 'bosses' would drop them off every morning at their begging points and kept an eye on them during the day, collected takings etc. It seems to be a very lucrative business as these criminals had built mansions in their home country.
    All the beggers were on the dole and other welfare benefits, living in apartments paid for by the taxpayer etc.

RTE cameras caught one lad begging outside a certain department store, he was barefoot. An elderly lady got talking to him and ended up going into the store and buying him a pair of runners. He duly put them on and seemed grateful, but once the lady left he took off the runners and hid them with the shoes he was wearing until he started his shift that morning !
    There's a lot more to these boys than meets the innocent eye something they take full advantage of.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,176 ✭✭✭✭jimgoose

biko wrote: »
    To bum a fag sounds less innocent now than 20 years ago.

To be honest it's a phrase you could never really use in Texas.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,969 ✭✭✭pgj2015

monseiur wrote: »
    It seems the majority of them came from a certain east European country and were working for a highly orgnaised crime gang. Their 'bosses' would drop them off every morning at their begging points and kept an eye on them during the day, collected takings etc. It seems to be a very lucrative business as these criminals had built mansions in their home country.
    All the beggers were on the dole and other welfare benefits, living in apartments paid for by the taxpayer etc.

RTE cameras caught one lad begging outside a certain department store, he was barefoot. An elderly lady got talking to him and ended up going into the store and buying him a pair of runners. He duly put them on and seemed grateful, but once the lady left he took off the runners and hid them with the shoes he was wearing until he started his shift that morning !
    There's a lot more to these boys than meets the innocent eye something they take full advantage of.

Same could be said about most charities.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

pgj2015 wrote: »
    Same could be said about most charities.

Charities and NGOs are worse than that.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,807 ✭✭✭ShatterAlan

riclad wrote: »
    no one needs to beg,
    they get paid 200 euro per week,
    they want money for cigarettes ,drink ,maybe drugs,
    theres focus and soup kitchens outside the gpo,
    i see a sign every day ,hungry need food,
    a beggar 500 yards from focus,on the bridge.
    thats bullsh1t,
    she could get 2 dinners every day free.
    they register as homeless ,they get paid from any post office every week.
    NO one in ireland needs to beg,
    unless maybe they are a drug addict.
    no one in ireland is starving unless they are too lazy to walk to as soup kitchen.
    would you want to sleep in a hostel full of drug users or people who might be dangerous ?
    easier to stay in a tent and ts not even cold at the moment.
    services go around delivering food and hot drinks at 11pm.

You can never really relax when sleeping rough no matter where you are. So a decent night's sleep is out of the question. An hour here, a half hour there. After a few weeks that takes a chronic toll on your mental and physical health. After a few months the effects are probably irreversible.

monseiur wrote: »

Tell me what apartments are paid for by the taxpayer.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,521 Mod ✭✭✭✭Amirani

Tell me what apartments are paid for by the taxpayer.

Social housing is mostly paid for by the State/taxpayer.

Not sure why some people seem to think that's a problem, most people's education, healthcare, transport infrastructure etc. is also mostly paid for by the State. Not sure what makes it such a problem when it comes to housing; like the others it's a pretty important service.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,707 ✭✭✭Bobblehats

Nice to know After Hours is still full of shit topics and even shitier users.

I left a deposit in the waffle press

• Advertisement

Amirani wrote: »
    Social housing is mostly paid for by the State/taxpayer.

Not sure why some people seem to think that's a problem, most people's education, healthcare, transport infrastructure etc. is also mostly paid for by the State. Not sure what makes it such a problem when it comes to housing; like the others it's a pretty important service.

Indeed,

I'm not sure if monsieur has a wife and kids. I don't have kids and I'm a male but my tax money is going towards his kids' education and children's allowance. If there are free or tax subsidised mammograms and cervical pap smears that benefit his missus as well as breast cancer research then my taxes go towards that as well.

Happy to take but not so happy to give.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,362 ✭✭✭corner of hells

You can never really relax when sleeping rough no matter where you are. So a decent night's sleep is out of the question. An hour here, a half hour there. After a few weeks that takes a chronic toll on your mental and physical health. After a few months the effects are probably irreversible.

You couldn't be more the point , occasionally rough sleepers get placed in the hostels ive worked in , the impact on their mental and physical health from even a couple of months rough sleeping is devastating.
    Addiction is often almost out of control, no regular access to medical assistance, no medication, not on methadone and in some cases not accessing welfare payments.

• Registered Users Posts: 163 ✭✭Beatty69

I know from very sad experience of this that some people even with homes resort to this for drink or drugs.

Uncle of mine was a chronic alcoholic, had a home but they wouldn't tolerate him drinking in the house so he'd go begging for money for drink and drink it in a field. Slept there quite a lot of nights. Tragic.

Died in that same park.

Terrible disease.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,184 ✭✭✭riclad

90 per cent of beggars are young people under 30,50-50 men , women

apart from older women from eastern europe.

riclad wrote: »
    90 per cent of beggars are young people under 30,50-50 men , women
    There are very few 50 year-old people begging on the streets because the sad truth is there aren't many of them left. 50 years is a very old age for a person who is actively addicted to heroin.

Nobody chooses a life of begging for small change. The idea that these people are rich is beyond a farce. Look at them.

One homeless guy who was found dead in the Phoenix Park a few years ago was discovered to have a fairly significant amount of money in a bank account. That made the news precisely because it was so unusual. Not many homeless cases in probate, you'll notice.

Advertisement