Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Fixing (D:) Stage 1 after failed windows update

Options
  • 07-04-2021 8:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭

Hi all,
    So the father has a Lenovo laptop on windows 10. He said to me that it had been getting slower and slower and wouldn't connect to the WiFi so he was using his mobile hotspot. The laptop then tried to install a Windows 10 update and it ran out of power on the battery which is a bit of an issue when it says "don't turn off your computer".

So he gave it into me saying he couldn't start it, I just held the power button for about 5ish seconds and she starts up again but the resolution looks much worse and it's saying rolling back updates or something I think. After a while then she finished that and we thought she was all good...

But today the laptop is on a black screen with a Lenovo logo, the windows circle thingy going round and round and it's saying "Fixing (D:) Stage 1 35% (205970 of 576256); Total 12%; ETA: 23:08:55". The laptop only has one internal drive but it is also constantly attached to an external hard drive and a usb drive. I'm pretty sure the D drive is the external disk so are we looking at a drive failure here or is it something to do with the windows updates? Do we just sit it out the 24 hours? Anything to be done to save the data from being lost or is that what it's at right now? Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

Lenovo sometimes use a second partition on the system drives for recovery and stuff. D: might be that.

TBH at that point I'd be inclined to backup his data and reinstall it.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Well I'm not sure that's it'll even boot into windows because I haven't been talking to the father about it yet. Do you reckon if I pulled out the external drive and the SSD inside and just backed them up to my computer or be good or would it destroy whatever data is on it altogether?

• Registered Users Posts: 36,164 ✭✭✭✭ED E

If it wont boot just boot Ubuntu off a USB key, copy the data out then use the media creation tool to load windows back.

• Registered Users Posts: 596 ✭✭✭Aodhan5000

Ok so the computer got through the whole fixing (D:) thing and I have now been greeted by a new problem. So when I opened up the file explorer the (D:) drive was not there. Went into Disk management and the external drive is coming up as disk 1 and it says the disk is not initialized.

Now, I've seen that initializing a hard drive erases previous data and on some sites and on others it says this has to be done to recover the data in the external drive as you create a partition or something. Anyone here have words if wisdom? Thanks!

Advertisement