Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

SwiftSMS - Simply sending Beautiful Webtexts

Options
  • 17-01-2014 10:03am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭

Hi all

Myself and a friend have just released our first Android App and would love to get some input/feedback. We are both pretty new to the Android development game so we would be very grateful if anyone has any advice or input on how we could improve the App :-)

Our App is called SwiftSMS. It lets you use your free Network Providers webtexts. We tried to keep the App as Android focused as possible, so it fits into the Android eco-system and feels like a true Android App.
    It's still a work-in-progress in some respects as we still have new features and other operators to add.

If anyone has time to take a look we would be so thankful!
    https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.swift

Happy texting :pac:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,265 ✭✭✭RangeR

<follow>

Looks good.

Features I'd like to see, if possible

• Sync messages to gMail. Allow user to set a label, say "SMS". In this way, you might not need full SMS integration as apps like SMSBackup+ sync proper SMS's to gMail with this tag. You app would sync down proper SMS's. SMSBackup+ would sync down your SMS's to stock app. In theory, it should be seamless to the user.
    • Sync with Google Contacts
    • Optimise for Tablet / TV
    • Make it damn easy to use
    • Desktop app with Sync ability as above would be killer.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,372 ✭✭✭jgbyr

Installed this yesterday. I'm with vodafone & found it loaded the captcha quickly.
    Nice & easy to use, though as I'm on kitkat it doesn't keep the Sent messages.
    Happy with it so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

Thanks jgbyr!
    I'm happy to see it fits in well.
    We really appreciate the kind words, makes it all worth it :-)

Automatic Captcha recognition will hopefully come in a later version.

I wish there was something I could do with KitKat but unfortunately it looks like from now on the ability to insert sent text messages is gone unless your app is the default SMS app.

RangeR wrote: »
    Features I'd like to see, if possible
    • Sync with Google Contacts
    • Make it damn easy to use

Hi RangeR, again thanks for the suggestions.
    We will be looking into integrating your suggestions in a later release.

Regarding the two I quoted above, do you have anything particular in mind?
    1. SwiftSMS currently searches your Google Contacts to display a list of suggested contacts as your entering a recipient.
    2. Is there something about the interface that you don't like or would like to see improved?

Thanks for your time & your thoughts!

Fluffy88 wrote: »
    Hi RangeR, again thanks for the suggestions.
    We will be looking into integrating your suggestions in a later release.

Regarding the two I quoted above, do you have anything particular in mind?
    1. SwiftSMS currently searches your Google Contacts to display a list of suggested contacts as your entering a recipient.
    2. Is there something about the interface that you don't like or would like to see improved?

Thanks for your time & your thoughts!

Nope. To be honest, I installed your product but have not run it yet. I'm just listing, what I see as, failings in other products.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭numorouno

Nope. To be honest, I installed your product but have not run it yet. I'm just listing, what I see as, failings in other products.

no eMobile

Okay, I was wondering because those were two of the main goals that we set out to achieve with SwiftSMS.
    numorouno wrote: »
    no eMobile
    Unfortunately it's not supported at the moment, no.
    The only reason eMobile isn't supported is because I ordered a SIM card but it never arrived. I'm going to order another SIM card right now!

Once I get access to eMobiles webtext service it won't take long to add them to SwiftSMS.

Yeah, I'm actually on eMobile too. I'll have to wait until that's in.

That's some service! Keep us updated on this thread

• Registered Users Posts: 24 robtec

We aim to please :)

I'm the other developer of SwiftSMS, It's great to start getting feedback early in the game :)

Thanks Guys!

• Advertisement

I wish there was something I could do with KitKat but unfortunately it looks like from now on the ability to insert sent text messages is gone unless your app is the default SMS app.

Which app needs to be the default app? At present Handcent is set as my default sms app.

jgbyr wrote: »
    Which app needs to be the default app? At present Handcent is set as my default sms app.

In this case, it doesn't matter. SwiftSMS can't be the default app as it's not a conventional SMS app. It can't actually send or receive SMS's. It's specifically for webtexts only. It just talks to the various network websites.

Exactly :-)
    And because of the way SMS messages are now handled in Android we won't be able to record sent messages unless Android decides to change it again.

Exactly :-)
    And because of the way SMS messages are now handled in Android we won't be able to record sent messages unless Android decides to change it again.

Unless you make it into a full sms app?

Yeah.
    Which would mean having everything from inboxes to MMS sending and all kinds of things.
    Might not sound like much but it's a pretty big job.

We will of course continue to improve and add new features but for now we don't have any plans to turn SwiftSMS into a fully fledged SMS app. We want to focus on providing a good experience when sending webtexts.

Hi jgbyr,

SwiftSMS is unable to support writing to the SMS database on KikKat versions, your default SMS application is the only one allowed to do this.

At the moment SwiftSMS is not designed to be a default SMS application, as it would require us to handle all SMS activities.
    We are currently working on new features, we may include this in a future release if the demand is there :)

Thankyou for your post!

Happy Web Texting :)

robtec wrote: »
    Hi jgbyr,

SwiftSMS is unable to support writing to the SMS database on KikKat versions, your default SMS application is the only one allowed to do this.

At the moment SwiftSMS is not designed to be a default SMS application, as it would require us to handle all SMS activities.
    We are currently working on new features, we may include this in a future release if the demand is there :)

Thankyou for your post!

Happy Web Texting :)

Just my luck, this question already answered!
    That's what I get for using my Android browser with the thread cached since yesterday :p

Cheers Fluffy88 :)

289371.jpgUpdate, Sims acquired :)

• Registered Users Posts: 7 Splike

Looks good.

Whats the tech behind this, how does it work? I tried to do something something similar to this myself but I wasn't sure how to interface with the webtext provider servers. How'd you do it?

The tech is just Java making HTTP connections to the server and sending GET & POST requests.
    That's the easy part, the real work is figuring out the details like the URL to connect to and the parameters needed.

• Advertisement

EMobile is now supported :)

A good weekends work!

Happy Texting :)

EMobile is now supported :)

A good weekends work!

Happy Texting :)
    Thanks!

It's taking along time to send the messages though. I wonder is it a problem with the emobile site or the app

numorouno wrote: »
    Thanks!

It's taking along time to send the messages though. I wonder is it a problem with the emobile site or the app

Hi :)

I would say its the network website, I've been using the app and no real issue with speed, are you on mobile data or WiFi?

It's the eMobile site. Trying sending a webtext from it directly, and it will be a pain.

Ok, I've started using it. I like it a lot.
    However, maintaining a list of sent webtexts / by network, is a must. This should be considered the first feature request.

Hi :)

I would say its the network website, I've been using the app and no real issue with speed, are you on mobile data or WiFi?

it was wifi but I checked the website after and that appears to be the problem!

However, maintaining a list of sent webtexts / by network, is a must. This should be considered the first feature request.

As mentioned by Range, would it be possible to see your webtext history. I understand that an inbox folder etc is not possible but could sent messages not be listed in the app?

The number of available webtexts is still difficult to read (especially with my eyesight :-) ).

That's what we were aiming for :-)
    Thanks for the feedback/suggestion!

We've chatted about the feature you mentioned, we need to look into the Android SMS database to see does it support that type of feature.
    As mentioned by Range, would it be possible to see your webtext history. I understand that an inbox folder etc is not possible but could sent messages not be listed in the app?

The number of available webtexts is still difficult to read (especially with my eyesight :-) ).
    There is plans to add an SMS history/inbox.
    It's not highest priority at the moment as we would like to get O2 added and fix all the issues we've noticed thus far before starting on any big new features.

Thanks for the suggestions!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,364 ✭✭✭madmoe

Does Tesco Mobile work guys? I'm using them since November last year.....don't really like the look and feel of their own webtext app.....

• Advertisement

Tesco is working perfectly in SwiftSMS :-)
    I agree having used their app for a short bit, it's horrendous and I don't think that's over-exaggerating :-P

About the tablet version question (In PM, I'll answer here since it's relevant).

We aren't currently working on a tablet optimised version as I can't really see what we could do with the extra screen space.
    I tested the app on my Nexus 7 and it works grand on the larger screen, so it's just taking some time to sit down and figure out how to make better use of the extra space.
    If you have any ideas on what we could do on a tablet screen differently we'd be happy to hear them :-)

Advertisement