Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Govt to replace Direct Provision with protection system

Options

Comments

Jizique wrote: »
    Wife and kids on the way from Pakistan - he should be deported

Wife and kids..
    Then the grandparents.. Then the whoever fits the bill.
    Unfortunately he's an 'Irish citizen' now...makes you wonder why the crew isn't already with him, how long does it take to become a citizen? Must have been another scam ongoing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,904 ✭✭✭mgn

Wife and kids..
    Unfortunately he's an 'Irish citizen' now...makes you wonder why the crew isn't already with him, how long does it take to become a citizen? Must have been another scam ongoing.

Probably refused citizenship in the UK, and then decided to try the mugs here.

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Feadog999

Wife and kids..

3 years for refugees / asylum seekers to become citizens. One of the lowest time requirements in Europe as far as I know. Germany is at least 6 years! UK and France are 5 I think.

Labour parties naturalisation bill 2018, which appears to have cross party support and is currently working its way through the oireachtas, would decrease this to 2 years for children in Ireland. The kicker here is that there is a European directive which stops you deporting the parents of "Irish kids". So the new process could well be come to Ireland heavily pregnant have a child hang around 2 years and you are good to go!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Feadog999 wrote: »
    3 years for refugees / asylum seekers to become citizens. One of the lowest time requirements in Europe as far as I know. Germany is at least 6 years! UK and France are 5 I think.

Labour parties naturalisation bill 2018, which appears to have cross party support and is currently working its way through the oireachtas, would decrease this to 2 years for children in Ireland. The kicker here is that there is a European directive which stops you deporting the parents of "Irish kids". So the new process could well be come to Ireland heavily pregnant have a child hang around 2 years and you are good to go!

So we have 2 small poorly-supported political parties in Ireland setting up future generations of the country for a world of pain and strife. The Labour Party's circumventing the intent of the 2004 citizenship referendum is a spit in the face to the 80% of the Irish population who voted for it. This, with the combination of the Green Party's replacement of Direct Provision with the guarantee of housing to every single person from all over the world who wants to come to Ireland and claim asylum with their own homes within 4 months, has assured a rush to Ireland to make avail of free housing and easy citizenship.

We are on our own unfortunately, as there is no genuine political party in Ireland who will stand up to the lunacy of what is currently happening before our eyes. The EU will only be too happy to point asylum seekers in migrant camps in their own countries in Ireland's direction. It will socially and financially devastate us, so we should ask what did we do to deserve this?

The Housing Department's report on this new protection system stated that there could be legal challenges to Roderic O' Gorman's implementation of this plan. It is obviously discriminatory to provide own-door housing to people claiming asylum within 4 months of arriving in Ireland while Irish people on multi-year waiting lists are skipped over in order to accommodate the Green Party's no-cap numbers coming here.

Today Minister Simon Harris is going to announce a new apprenticeship strategy, which is great because it is badly needed. The plan will double the amount of apprentices to 10,000 per year in a 5 year plan. Grants of €3,000 per apprentice will be available from next year. However, the government will provide additional supports if employers take on underrepresented groups and asylum seekers.

There is no issue with support for underrepresented groups or refugees who have actually been granted asylum, but to provide additional support to asylum seekers who just arrived in the country and without adequate criminal background checks or confirmation of who they actually are, is wrong. This is another policy by the Irish government that will result in discrimination against Irish apprenticeship seekers versus asylum applicants.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,986 ✭✭✭conorhal

Kivaro wrote: »
    So we have 2 small poorly-supported political parties in Ireland setting up future generations of the country for a world of pain and strife. The Labour Party's circumventing the intent of the 2004 citizenship referendum is a spit in the face to the 80% of the Irish population who voted for it. This, with the combination of the Green Party's replacement of Direct Provision with the guarantee of housing to every single person from all over the world who wants to come to Ireland and claim asylum with their own homes within 4 months, has assured a rush to Ireland to make avail of free housing and easy citizenship.

We are on our own unfortunately, as there is no genuine political party in Ireland who will stand up to the lunacy of what is currently happening before our eyes. The EU will only be too happy to point asylum seekers in migrant camps in their own countries in Ireland's direction. It will socially and financially devastate us, so we should ask what did we do to deserve this?

Simple, we voted for these clowns.
    I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only remedy is to hold my nose and vote for those ass-clowns in the National Party or any Independent that's willing to stand against this lunacy.
    Macron in France is now cracking down on islamists and demanding integration, don't be fooled that it had anything to do with teachers getting beheaded in the streets over cartoons though, he was all on board with this kind of nonsense untill LePen started creeping up behind him as a real political threat, right before 'his eyes suddenly opened'.

Unless you threaten to take away their ministeral cars politicians will continue to treat you like fools.

848.gif

There is no issue with support for underrepresented groups or refugees who have actually been granted asylum, but to provide additional support to asylum seekers who just arrived in the country and without adequate criminal background checks or confirmation of who they actually are, is wrong. This is another policy by the Irish government that will result in discrimination against Irish apprenticeship seekers versus asylum applicants.

All migrant groups will be considered to be underrepresented simply because they're less than the overall population of native Irish people, and that consideration of being underrepresented will not change, regardless of how many of these groups gain training and employment.

Another issue is the encouragement of further asylum claims and migrant groups to be brought into the country, which will further reinforce the impression of national groups being underrepresented in Ireland. Even during covid, the government is continuing to bring in people from abroad, and not turn away those who arrive at Dublin airport.

It's another play on words, and seeks to elevate others over native born Irish people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,317 ✭✭✭jmreire

conorhal wrote: »
    Simple, we voted for these clowns.
    I'm rapidly coming to the conclusion that the only remedy is to hold my nose and vote for those ass-clowns in the National Party or any Independent that's willing to stand against this lunacy.
    Macron in France is now cracking down on islamists and demanding integration, don't be fooled that it had anything to do with teachers getting beheaded in the streets over cartoons though, he was all on board with this kind of nonsense untill LePen started creeping up behind him as a real political threat, right before 'his eyes suddenly opened'.

Unless you threaten to take away their ministeral cars politicians will continue to treat you like fools.

848.gif

In the last GE, there was a massive swing of 1st preference votes to Sinn Fein, unfortunately , they did not field enough candidates ( which will not happen again ) FFG struggled to get seats...in some cases only after multiple recounts...very few 1st preference votes went to them. This was not a case of the whole Country becoming Sinn Feiners overnight, but an attempt to remove FFG from power. It was the only option voters had to break the FFG monopoly.

All migrant groups will be considered to be underrepresented simply because they're less than the overall population of native Irish people, and that consideration of being underrepresented will not change, regardless of how many of these groups gain training and employment.

Another issue is the encouragement of further asylum claims and migrant groups to be brought into the country, which will further reinforce the impression of national groups being underrepresented in Ireland. Even during covid, the government is continuing to bring in people from abroad, and not turn away those who arrive at Dublin airport.

It's another play on words, and seeks to elevate others over native born Irish people.

Give it time klas...and the Irish will be in the minority.

• Registered Users Posts: 124 ✭✭clytemnestra

The Housing Department's report on this new protection system stated that there could be legal challenges to Roderic O' Gorman's implementation of this plan. It is obviously discriminatory to provide own-door housing to people claiming asylum within 4 months of arriving in Ireland while Irish people on multi-year waiting lists are skipped over in order to accommodate the Green Party's no-cap numbers coming here.

Today Minister Simon Harris is going to announce a new apprenticeship strategy, which is great because it is badly needed. The plan will double the amount of apprentices to 10,000 per year in a 5 year plan. Grants of €3,000 per apprentice will be available from next year. However, the government will provide additional supports if employers take on underrepresented groups and asylum seekers.

That is so very wrong. We have a serious issue with underemployed unskilled young people and apprenticeships have been neglected in favour of a bloated educational sector with many pointless third level courses. So increased funding for apprenticeships would under normal circumstances be a great thing. But to hand them to asylum *seekers* the vast majority of whose claims are bogus and who have entered here illegally - just no. We owe them nothing. I'm so sick of this.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,838 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

I'm just reading about this on the Journal.
    EMPLOYERS WILL BE paid more to take on women, lone parents, a person with a disability, or someone from direct provision as apprentices under a new plan to get more people working in trades.

This is ridiculous. How in the world can any of this be legal? It does nothing but disadvantage the people who would naturally end up doing an apprenticeship. This country is one big bizarre social experiment, where our masters seem to go out of their way to focus on things that none of us have asked for, to appease groups that have no mandate.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

jmreire wrote: »
    In the last GE, there was a massive swing of 1st preference votes to Sinn Fein, unfortunately , they did not field enough candidates ( which will not happen again ) FFG struggled to get seats...in some cases only after multiple recounts...very few 1st preference votes went to them. This was not a case of the whole Country becoming Sinn Feiners overnight, but an attempt to remove FFG from power. It was the only option voters had to break the FFG monopoly.

SF are a complete open borders party. They will absolutely never get a preference from me again. I don't even think most of their voters and members know this given the Ipsos MRBI poll linked previously so they are in for a shock.

• Registered Users Posts: 85,259 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Can we just stop welcoming them all with open arms for a while

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

Unfortunately I think SF will be an awful lot worse then FFG for this country. And unfortunately I think we will find that out for real in a few years.

I did not vote FFG or Green (even though I wanted to) in the last election specifically to get rid of FFG. I understand that the Sinn Fein leadership are open borders while their voter-base is against this ruinous approach to migration. The reality of the current situation is that we need to fail as a country in order for centrist parties to listen to the majority again. If you look at the calibre of leaders currently in government, they are truly appalling and their policies are social-media-led. They need to be voted out and spend some years in opposition in order to find a way to re-invent themselves as representatives of the working class. I would really like another alternative centrist party instead of FFG.

I thought that the worldwide pandemic would enlighten FFG and nudge them away from progressive liberalism, but Covid seems to have made them even worse. They just need to go, and while the pain of the replacement coalition will be harsh, it is a necessary evil in order to rise up again as a representative democracy. FFG certainly do not represent their voter-base at the moment; in fact they have completely failed them.

Fandymo wrote: »
    Unfortunately I think SF will be an awful lot worse then FFG for this country. And unfortunately I think we will find that out for real in a few years.

In order to change the status quo,People were prepared to risk this happening. Thats how desperate people are for change..and as for being worse for the Country, that remains to be seen, but in all honesty, how much worse can they be than FFG???

SF are a complete open borders party. They will absolutely never get a preference from me again. I don't even think most of their voters and members know this given the Ipsos MRBI poll linked previously so they are in for a shock.

Personally, I can't see Sinn Fein rank and file voters being overly in favour of open borders and unrestricted immigration..the leadership are in for a shock I think if they publish that as part of an election manifesto.For sure, the flood of 1st preference votes they received in the last GE, will vanish.

In order to change the status quo,People were prepared to risk this happening. Thats how desperate people are for change..and as for being worse for the Country, that remains to be seen, but in all honesty, how much worse can they be than FFG???

They could end up being worse. I'd love to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a go. Open borders are a red line for me though. Also their communist housing policy, I'd rather encourage or facilitate people being able to buy (or rent) their own house rather than increasing reliance on the state. Hard to achieve though admittedly. They try very hard to be "woke" too which is a real turn off

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/616340/limerick-sinn-fein-member-cant-run-in-next-general-election-because-of-my-gender.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,177 ✭✭✭Fandymo

I fear we will find out after the next election.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

much much worse

• Advertisement

What I cant understand is the SF supporters voting for them with their open door policy, most SF voters I've come across are anti-asylum seeker, anti-English, anti-establishment

If there was an election in the morning, it would be the three stooges back in again I'm afraid.

Fandymo wrote: »
    I fear we will find out after the next election.

if Mary Lou had fielded more candidates in the last GE...we would have a fair idea by now......Th next GE will tell alot, when ever that will be.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

mgn wrote: »
    What I cant understand is the SF supporters voting for them with their open door policy, most SF voters I've come across are anti-asylum seeker, anti-English, anti-establishment

If there was an election in the morning, it would be the three stooges back in again I'm afraid.

Id absolutely agree, until the national party became more popular during the pandemic, id wager every barstool and taxi plate racist in the country was a die hard shinner.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

Id absolutely agree, until the national party became more popular during the pandemic, id wager every barstool and taxi plate racist in the country was a die hard shinner.

This is a golden opportunity for the NP to swoop in and take a chunk out of the SF voter base. If they fail, then it'll be nobody's fault but theirs.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,505 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

SF have adopted a new strategy this past six or seven years , much more focused on progressive cultural issues which appeal to left wing middle class voters , Eoin o Broin has been the central architect of this new approach , courting the progressives was always going to put them in better stead with the media and SF have always been treated rather frostily by the media

Mad_maxx wrote: »
    SF have adopted a new strategy this past six or seven years , much more focused on progressive cultural issues which appeal to left wing middle class voters , Eoin o Broin has been the central architect of this new approach , courting the progressives was always going to put them in better stead with the media and SF have always been treated rather frostily by the media

Ah, good old O'Broin, champion of the housing crisis, he is such a cult hero in them circles that he wont buy a house himself, rather keep renting so he can be in that gang.
    Its not like he cant afford one but its look better for his image, a total fraud of the highest order.

This is a golden opportunity for the NP to swoop in and take a chunk out of the SF voter base. If they fail, then it'll be nobody's fault but theirs.

True, but they'll mess it up. They're still too "new"a party and have too many idiotic ideas floating around within their candidates.

Nah. There's little hope that the NP will manage to be anything more than the boogeyman of the left, because they've allowed themselves to be slotted into the unreasonable category. A new party without the baggage of NP will come along, and they'll attract most of the SF voters, along with many of those who tend to float between FG and others.

I don't see any quick end to all this crap.. it'll be years before another party steps up, but hopefully, they'll learn from the mistakes of others. At least, they'll have plenty of ammunition to choose from in deciding their agenda.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭KeepItLight

True, but they'll mess it up. They're still too "new"a party and have too many idiotic ideas floating around within their candidates.

Nah. There's little hope that the NP will manage to be anything more than the boogeyman of the left, because they've allowed themselves to be slotted into the unreasonable category. A new party without the baggage of NP will come along, and they'll attract most of the SF voters, along with many of those who tend to float between FG and others.

I don't see any quick end to all this crap.. it'll be years before another party steps up, but hopefully, they'll learn from the mistakes of others. At least, they'll have plenty of ammunition to choose from in deciding their agenda.

I think a party like Renua would have been perfect, but they seemed to come on the scene too early and have fizzled out since.

Unfortunately, even if another party comes on the scene in a few years, it'll be too late. God knows what sort of legislations will have been put in place by then and what work will have been put into eliminating the idea of Irishness as an ethnicity, instead making it some sort of malleable civic concept to suit whatever social engineering projects are planned.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,818 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

They could end up being worse. I'd love to give them the benefit of the doubt and give them a go. Open borders are a red line for me though. Also their communist housing policy, I'd rather encourage or facilitate people being able to buy (or rent) their own house rather than increasing reliance on the state. Hard to achieve though admittedly. They try very hard to be "woke" too which is a real turn off

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/616340/limerick-sinn-fein-member-cant-run-in-next-general-election-because-of-my-gender.html
    Sinn Fein are reinventing themselves as staunchly anti work.
    My POV is Work for your house/apartment or live in the poorhouse. Don't have to work hard or clean sewers, can be helping old folks anything apart from anti social sitting on h0le waiting for entitlements to be delivered.
    The socialist idea of breaking the work ethic in families is not helping people.

• Advertisement

I just received a response to my previously posted email by Neale Richmond (FG). Worth noting that Neale Richmond, when he was a senator, voted against the naturalisation bill when labour brought it to the Seanad in 2018.

Many thanks for getting in touch and for sharing your opinions.

I am supportive of both Minister McEntee’s Justice Plan and the White Paper on ending direct provision.

The new building and acquiring of accommodation for asylum seekers will be additional to our current housing stock. The Department of Children, Equality, Disability, Integration and Youth will go about building six new Reception Centres and as part of the second phase, the Department will engage with Approved Housing Bodies or other not-for-profit groups regarding the building and acquiring of new accommodation.

We have a responsibility to ensure that those who come to Ireland to seek International Protection are treated with respect and fairly.

The purpose of this move is not to take anything away from the Irish people. Irish people and taxpayers have a right to expect an International Protection system that is efficient in terms of time and cost, that protects our security and is not open to abuse.

On the Justice Plan, Minister McEntee is seeking to regularise the status of the residents in Ireland who have families here, work here and contribute to our society. We cannot say that these people are unlikely to work, indeed they are already contributing to our country in many cases. The scheme for regularising their status is set to launch in autumn with an application process opening by the end of the year. It is worth noting that 3,000 of these 17,000 people who could benefit from this scheme are children or young people.

I know times are really tough for so many people at the moment, this past year has certainly not been easy under any circumstances. However, this cannot preclude us from making Ireland a more welcoming and better place to live for all its residents, not just the Irish people

Advertisement