Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zgemma H7s out of the box

Options
12345679»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 907 ✭✭✭rampantbunny

swoofer wrote: »
    There can be an awful lot of settings but try this menu, setup, user interface then button settings, then for info bar select show epg, green save.

Have done all the tweaks?

back tomorro

Yea, that did the trick :-)
    Earlier I had tried modifying all the other btns but none show the option of simply 'epg'. It's either channel list, or bouquets or a different EPG type. Don't know why I didn't try the Info button like you had already mentioned!

Edit: actually, not sure what change I made, but the EPG button now gives me the EPG I wanted to see (as per jpg 2 previously), so does INFO btn. I can revert the INFO button and retest at some point but all-in-all, job done I think.

Spoke too soon. Turned on zgemma to record a kids movie and noticed only partial EPG information on the Sky FTA channels. Thought, maybe I missed something in the crossepg settings. Forced a rescan in-case the scheduled scan hadn't worked (but not sure a missed run would cause data to go missing).

Browsed to the channel I wanted to record from to recheck EPG but at this point things seemed to stall. The activity icon kept spinning and remote became unresponsive. After 5 mins I had to reset box using switch at rear.

On box restart, tried to load EPG and same hang. Another reset.
    This time tried reloading epg.dat. On accessing EPG again, another hang.
    Tried again, this time removing crossepg but box hung during this also. Another reset.

Crossepg might not be the root issue. Could be the skin. Anyone see this kind of behavior before? At this stage I'm thinking of resetting everything and starting from scratch.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,416 ✭✭✭swoofer

give me a moment just back in. OK had aread, I did say tweaking can be tricky and the number of tweaks are endless. Sometimes when you tweak one button it can have a knock on effect elsewhere but going back can be a nightmare. Before you do a re-start can you say the channel you were going to record from?

Something went wrong with the tweaks.

Film4+

Part of the Sky - Movies bouquet as you probably know. Selecting that bouquet showed a partial EPG for both Film4 and Film4+ (all others were empty).

Now, when setting up opentv last night I did choose to save the epg to my USB connected 1TB hard disk (accidentally and had planned to change). When running openvix I saved to a small USB flash drive. Saying that, there was no problem with this yesterday evening.

I guessed film 4 and it was OK. Now the image I am using is almost exactly what you want so I could do is send it to you, you then put it on a usb and flash it to another partition.

But you need to use that openatv image already on box so can you see if this works ie tell me the result.

menu, setup, software management, flash online, and then it should show a a few headings, I am looking for first one, full backup images.

have a go and I can send via dropbox as its 141mb.

You would put it on usb stick and it is zip format you do not unzip. Then you configure the bits proper to you, like usb on mine is cruzer blade, hdd is an ssd. Tuner for soarview is maghera.

Then you could use this as a guide for when you do your own new version on slot 2.

• Advertisement

Thought I'd made a breakthrough there. Removed crossepg, deleted ABM bouquets, uninstalled ABM, reverted to default skin. Rebooted and browsing to channels, partial EPG etc. did not result in the hanging issue.
    Reinstalled plugins again, rescanned and rebooted just to see. Now it is hanging on the reboot. Have debug logs enabled but they haven't been updated in a while and not sure what I'm looking at there. Reset again. After reboot a crash on screen..the crash log shows error: OSError: [Errno 74] Bad message: '/media/usb/timeshift/'
    Later I see: FAT-fs (mmcblk0p1): Volume was not properly unmounted. Some data may be corrupt. Please run fsck.
    And later again I see: EXT4-fs error (device sdb1): htree_dirblock_to_tree:962: inode #275457: comm enigma2: Directory block failed checksum
    All drive related and maybe not relevant, but both drives having issues!

Decent of you to offer your image. I might take you up on that but is there not a settings file that can be sent instead? - could compare settings against my own or use to set up new image.

But you need to use that openatv image already on box so can you see if this works ie tell me the result.
    menu, setup, software management, flash online, and then it should show a a few headings, I am looking for first one, full backup images.

Sorry not sure what you mean exactly. If I hit software management, flash online, I see the list of releases i.e. 6.5 Beta, 6.4 Release, 6.3 Release.
    When I flashed to openatv last night I picked 6.4, and from there p[enatv-6.4-zgemmah7-20210325_usb.zip

Edit 1: just noticed that the 16GB USB drive I have plugged in, has had a change in reference. Previously the path to it was /media/hdd/ and the path to the actual HDD I added afterwards was /media/usb/. This bugged me a little because it was the wrong way around but no big deal. But right now, this has been corrected...maybe the OS sorting it out. But this change would obviously have compromised the paths for epg dat file and others (timeshift, recordings).

OK, if you have a settings file swoofer, I'll gladly take that off you, but if not I'll sort out the paths and see if that brings stability before re-skinning again.

Edit 2: I'm on a roll here. Now openWebif interface isn't working. I'm being tested!

I sent you a pm. You will only makes things worse. Slow down and it will all become clear. If you switch to Vix I have to tell a different way and I have to switch.

I sent you a pm. You will only makes things worse. Slow down and it will all become clear. If you switch to Vix I have to tell a different way and I have to switch.

Responded to pm just there, thanks.
    I've no plan to switch to openvix.. Don't think I mentioned that but I must be confusing you at this stage.
    Mentioned re-skinning above, not reflashing.. maybe that's it.

• Registered Users Posts: 661 ✭✭✭lgs 4

How do you turn off the subtitles permanently? They keep reactivating after the EPG update. Running Vix with default OE-A EPG.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,559 ✭✭✭refusetolose

lgs 4 wrote: »
    How do you turn off the subtitles permanently? They keep reactivating after the EPG update. Running Vix with default OE-A EPG.

think you need to have a look at the automatic language section in settings

think you need to have a look at the automatic language section in settings
    I will have a look at the setting . Thanks'

Responded to pm just there, thanks.
    I've no plan to switch to openvix.. Don't think I mentioned that but I must be confusing you at this stage.
    Mentioned re-skinning above, not reflashing.. maybe that's it.

Update on my issues; after sorting out the drive references things are stable. No hangs since. I'll get around to comparing my settings with yours @swoofer at some stage this week.

Glad you are sorted.

I sent a backup as well as a settings file. Try the backup in a different slot, then compare. Its got all the bits working, top picks, bouquets across the top, use prev and next to access.

Watch tv now.

• Registered Users Posts: 450 ✭✭ITV2

anyone know how to switch off Audio description as default audio, I have to manually select non AD audio channel.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

ITV2 wrote: »
    anyone know how to switch off Audio description as default audio, I have to manually select non AD audio channel.
    Exact location / wording is depending on your enigma version:- go into MENU>SETUP>AUDIO and look for "Preferred language" Set this to English

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fergcooke

Thanks to this and other Zgemma H7S threads, I decided I'd try and see for myself. Bought a Zgemma H7s from SatWorld, came with OpenVix 5.4 and some useful plugins already installed. I also bought an SSD for recording etc.

Been a Sky HD customer for 9 years, and hadn't realized how much I was paying for what I watched, most of which is essentially free anyway. Spent a few hours setting everything up to look like my Sky service, as both of us have gotten used to it. I've got a Sky Q Skin lookalike, and an EPG with Irish terrestrial and Freesat/FTA UK channels. Took the final plunge and just cancelled my contract with Sky.

Cant believe how easy it was, many thanks to all the contributors here.

fergcooke wrote: »
    Thanks to this and other Zgemma H7S threads, I decided I'd try and see for myself. Bought a Zgemma H7s from SatWorld, came with OpenVix 5.4 and some useful plugins already installed. I also bought an SSD for recording etc.

Been a Sky HD customer for 9 years, and hadn't realized how much I was paying for what I watched, most of which is essentially free anyway. Spent a few hours setting everything up to look like my Sky service, as both of us have gotten used to it. I've got a Sky Q Skin lookalike, and an EPG with Irish terrestrial and Freesat/FTA UK channels. Took the final plunge and just cancelled my contract with Sky.

Can't believe how easy it was, many thanks to all the contributors here.

Having pay-tv is a bit status thing. If people only took the time to research, what they are actually paying for. A lot of pay-tv content is free elsewhere on Astra1,19e and Hotbird 13e and other satellite The commentary may not be in English but BBC Radio 5 live or 5 live sports extra, will give you an English commentary. I was a sky customer when you paid extra for the HD channels that was 10 years. I got wise and got Freesat. We have a lot to be thankful for our neighbour's (the UK) with Freesat HD.

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

What type of SSD would this take? How about an M.2 NVME chip (I hope that's not too technical of a question!)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

I bought a SanDisk ssd plus 1tb 2 1/2" and not installed it yet as was going into another box that had no cables.

• Advertisement

The box I have has a slot at rear, others take an internal HDD. Here are 2 pics. I would think a chip is not an SSD.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,542 ✭✭✭Gerry Wicklow

athlone573 wrote: »
    What type of SSD would this take? How about an M.2 NVME chip (I hope that's not too technical of a question!)

NO NVME M.2 is a completely different standard. It uses normal 2.5" SATA drives

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭athlone573

NO NVME M.2 is a completely different standard. It uses normal 2.5" SATA drives
    Grand so the hard disk type SSD instead of the chip type SSD (it came out of a laptop do its definately an SSD) thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 284 ✭✭Puggy

The Zgemma H7s I have takes a 2.5 inch Sata SSD. It fits into the slot at the back. If you have a mSata or Nvme SSD, you’ll need a 2.5 Sata caddy or adapter to be able to plug it into the slot.

• Registered Users Posts: 2 fergcooke

Found a usb dvb T tuner in a box of old PC bits and pieces, a Sveon stv20, which according to Google is based on REALTEK RTL2832U chipset. Found a plugin on OpenVix for REALTEK RTL2832U, installed it, rebooted the box, and now I've a second dvb t tuner.

• Registered Users Posts: 573 ✭✭✭Snakeweasel

Puggy wrote: »
    The Zgemma H7s I have takes a 2.5 inch Sata SSD. It fits into the slot at the back. If you have a mSata or Nvme SSD, you’ll need a 2.5 Sata caddy or adapter to be able to plug it into the slot.

So you can just slot the ssd straight in to the back of the box? no need to worry about sata/data cables like you would need if installing in a PC?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭greasepalm

So you can just slot the ssd straight in to the back of the box? no need to worry about sata/data cables like you would need if installing in a PC?

Yes slot in back is direct connection to box.

Internal one needs cables connected and hdd secured inside.

Advertisement