Post Reply  
 
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
28-03-2021, 13:30   #16
Housefree
Registered User
 
Housefree's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2020
Posts: 69
Throw all the alcohol out of the house
Housefree is online now  
Advertisement
28-03-2021, 13:32   #17
PokeHerKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by Housefree View Post
Throw all the alcohol out of the house
The wife would divorce me.
PokeHerKing is offline  
28-03-2021, 14:43   #18
prishtinaboy99
Registered User
 
prishtinaboy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
If you try to go off the booze for a period there must be an issue somewhere.

Probably best to extend it in that case.
prishtinaboy99 is offline  
28-03-2021, 14:59   #19
Paddy223
Registered User
 
Paddy223's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2018
Posts: 143
Quote:
Originally Posted by prishtinaboy99 View Post
If you try to go off the booze for a period there must be an issue somewhere.

Probably best to extend it in that case.
Well it’s hard to ignore the fact that alcohol is a drug and is something to be respected and not abused or messed around with. For me personally I would enjoy frequenting the local every few weeks or a hot whiskey on a cold winters night at the end of the week.

At the start of the covid I would have a few whiskeys or a few beers on a Saturday or Friday night which was good substitute for the pub at the start but since November I stopped.

Some evenings I crave a beer so I just have a Heineken zero. One thing covid has taught me is drinking socially or when your in a good mood is completely different to drinking when bored or to try and numb yourself from what’s going on in the world at the moment. For me personally that’s when alcohol becomes dangerous and it’s why a lot of people have hit the bottle hard at the minute and succumbed to bad habits with no work to get up in the morning or that.

Therefore I think the decisions people are making on here at the moment is wise especially considering the current times.
Paddy223 is offline  
28-03-2021, 15:52   #20
PokeHerKing
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 2,084
Quote:
Originally Posted by prishtinaboy99 View Post
If you try to go off the booze for a period there must be an issue somewhere.

Probably best to extend it in that case.
From a health perspective no level of alcohol is good for you. Most people i know are addicted to alcohol even if they don't think they're. All upstanding tax paying members of society i might add.

So i find your statement a little silly if I'm honest.
PokeHerKing is offline  
Advertisement
28-03-2021, 15:55   #21
prishtinaboy99
Registered User
 
prishtinaboy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by Paddy223 View Post
Well it’s hard to ignore the fact that alcohol is a drug and is something to be respected and not abused or messed around with. For me personally I would enjoy frequenting the local every few weeks or a hot whiskey on a cold winters night at the end of the week.

At the start of the covid I would have a few whiskeys or a few beers on a Saturday or Friday night which was good substitute for the pub at the start but since November I stopped.

Some evenings I crave a beer so I just have a Heineken zero. One thing covid has taught me is drinking socially or when your in a good mood is completely different to drinking when bored or to try and numb yourself from what’s going on in the world at the moment. For me personally that’s when alcohol becomes dangerous and it’s why a lot of people have hit the bottle hard at the minute and succumbed to bad habits with no work to get up in the morning or that.

Therefore I think the decisions people are making on here at the moment is wise especially considering the current times.
You are correct if it’s under control then it’s no issue.If the occasional drink has remained that way during Covid then ok.
prishtinaboy99 is offline  
28-03-2021, 16:03   #22
prishtinaboy99
Registered User
 
prishtinaboy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by PokeHerKing View Post
From a health perspective no level of alcohol is good for you. Most people i know are addicted to alcohol even if they don't think they're. All upstanding tax paying members of society i might add.

So i find your statement a little silly if I'm honest.
More power to you if you can manage it the way you do.
prishtinaboy99 is offline  
28-03-2021, 16:59   #23
jobeenfitz
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 2,378
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pretzill View Post
Hi everyone - I think alcohol has contributed to a lot of stomach issues and weight gain for me, over the years. I would typically drink 1 to 2 bottles of wine a week, I used to drink more regularly. I quit smoking 3.5 years ago and I really started enjoying wine too much, tasted nicer - love it with a meal, snacks, cheese etc.

Recently I got a very bad bout of gastritis, nausea and I have been taking meds for that which I can't drink when I'm taking them so I thought I would use the opportunity of a couple of weeks sobriety to see if I can cut out and lose some weight, get healthy.

But I am scared my lack of willpower will defeat me and the covid evenings will lead me back to wine. Have you any tips on how to approach cutting out the drink?

I smoked for 25 years, I thought I'd never stop but in the end bar the first few weeks I found the process much easier than I ever thought. Even as I type this, I'm telling myself the perfect way forward for me is to cut out for a good while but that I'd still be able to enjoy the odd beer on a summer's day. It's like I don't want to remove that good feeling I get.

Any tips?
Im in a similar position. Started feeling Bloated constantly with some cramps in December. I stopped drinking beer n started drinking wine, about five bottles a week. Because beer is fizzy I felt it affected me more.

So I've been to the hospital (in Spain since autumn),a few times as an outpatient. Some growths removed from my stomach which I'm told don't look sinister but being routinely checked. The doctor told me I had chronic gastric inflammation.

It seems I have a problem digesting food so I've to take a tablet to help with the digestion but I would think it is a problem with or without drink.

There are three or four days some weeks I'd have no drink but still same symptoms.

Im just wondering why you think it's drink causing your problem? I'm not clueless so understand that drink could be a contributing factor.

I have to see consultant after having endoscopy recently so I'll ask him if he thinks alcohol is a big factor in all this. I don't get to see him until April 29th.

I would find it hard to give up drinking cos I enjoy going to the bar (open here til 10.30pm) to watch the Premier league. Like you I gave up smoking seven years ago so I think I have the will power but don't want to give it up unless I'm told its a fairly big factor.

The fact that you've quit smoking I think it's jus a matter of deciding to quit (or not) and deciding when to do it.

If I was advised it would improve my issues I would stop, just wouldn't find it easy to give up the bar.
jobeenfitz is offline  
28-03-2021, 17:08   #24
Oscar Madison
Registered User
 
Oscar Madison's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2020
Posts: 203
I watched a docu' a while ago now but in it they were treating alcoholics

but every night they would each get a glass of alcohol before they went

to bed which did indeed surprise me but what the medics' were doing

was gradually reducing the amount of alcohol on a nightly basis.

I can't remember what happened in the end of the docu' but I thought it

was a different approach!
Oscar Madison is offline  
Advertisement
31-03-2021, 06:55   #25
prishtinaboy99
Registered User
 
prishtinaboy99's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2020
Posts: 25
Quote:
Originally Posted by jobeenfitz View Post
Im in a similar position. Started feeling Bloated constantly with some cramps in December. I stopped drinking beer n started drinking wine, about five bottles a week. Because beer is fizzy I felt it affected me more.

So I've been to the hospital (in Spain since autumn),a few times as an outpatient. Some growths removed from my stomach which I'm told don't look sinister but being routinely checked. The doctor told me I had chronic gastric inflammation.

It seems I have a problem digesting food so I've to take a tablet to help with the digestion but I would think it is a problem with or without drink.

There are three or four days some weeks I'd have no drink but still same symptoms.

Im just wondering why you think it's drink causing your problem? I'm not clueless so understand that drink could be a contributing factor.

I have to see consultant after having endoscopy recently so I'll ask him if he thinks alcohol is a big factor in all this. I don't get to see him until April 29th.

I would find it hard to give up drinking cos I enjoy going to the bar (open here til 10.30pm) to watch the Premier league. Like you I gave up smoking seven years ago so I think I have the will power but don't want to give it up unless I'm told its a fairly big factor.

The fact that you've quit smoking I think it's jus a matter of deciding to quit (or not) and deciding when to do it.

If I was advised it would improve my issues I would stop, just wouldn't find it easy to give up the bar.
Well the first thing all doctors ask is do you smoke or drink so if you are honest he will attribute your problems to alcohol even if your stomachs problems are related to consumption or not. Anyhow a blood test of liver enzymes should tell this usually.
prishtinaboy99 is offline  
(2) thanks from:
Post Reply

Quick Reply
Message:
Remove Text Formatting
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text
 
Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search



Share Tweet