Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The Mikrotik RouterOS config, tips and tricks thread

Options
167891012»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

Not sure if anyone checks here anymore, but I have a question.

I want to setup two wans on my Mikrotik, but I don't want it to be failover

I have one DSL line and one Mobile broadband conneciton. The DSL has a modem in bridge mode and the Mobile Broadband has a modem/router.

I previously had Mikrotik connected to the DSL modem using PPPoE, but I changed DSL providers and while I was inbetween providers I connected the Mikrotik to the Mobile Broadband router as a DHCP client at the weekend and am using that as my wan connection.

My end goal would be to have both wans connected at the one time and that everything is routed over DSL other than specific devices (can be identified by MAC or IP). Basically I want only my PC to use mobile broadband and everything else to use DSL

Any good guides or suggestions on how to achieve this?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 105 ✭✭diarmaidol

You are looking to implement Policy based routing with NAT. (Nat kinda magically helps keeps your routing symmetrical as a side effect)

This deals with doing something similar for services over an Vpn , but the same idea will apply for you here except you have 2 actual Interfaces you can use for default route and not a vpn tunnel.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Policy_Base_Routing

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve? Are you trying to load balance a bit ? Microtik isn't fantastic with that.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,018 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

diarmaidol wrote: »
    You are looking to implement Policy based routing with NAT. (Nat kinda magically helps keeps your routing symmetrical as a side effect)

This deals with doing something similar for services over an Vpn , but the same idea will apply for you here except you have 2 actual Interfaces you can use for default route and not a vpn tunnel.

https://wiki.mikrotik.com/wiki/Policy_Base_Routing

What is the actual problem you are trying to solve? Are you trying to load balance a bit ? Microtik isn't fantastic with that.

Hey, thanks for the link, will take a look now.

Not load-balancing, basically I want my PC to have a dedicated line out. I do some live streaming to do with my youtube channel so I bought got a sim card from three specifically for this (the upload of my DSL is about 500K up, its over 10M on three).

I don't want anything else in the house impacting the internet on the three line. Up to this I had two separate networks in the house, Mikrotik was one and the Three modem was the other. But I have network printers and NAS and other things so it would be very useful to have all on the same network

• Registered Users Posts: 53,907 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I'm a new owner of a Mikrotik Routerboard 2011UiAS-2HnD

Im normally a Sonicwall guy but want to give Mikrotik ago.

Been blown away with the capabilities of this router, the amount of different things it can do is jaw dropping but can be quite confusing.

Just some questions Im hopping fellow Mikrotik owners can help me out with.

In lame man terms what are ment by the firewall chains input, output and forward.
    From what i've read forward is used for anything devices behind the firewall but unsure what the others for?

Is there any good guides on creating an IPsec VPN?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,456 ✭✭✭The high horse brigade

Headshot wrote: »
    I'm a new owner of a Mikrotik Routerboard 2011UiAS-2HnD

Im normally a Sonicwall guy but want to give Mikrotik ago.

Been blown away with the capabilities of this router, the amount of different things it can do is jaw dropping but can be quite confusing.

Just some questions Im hopping fellow Mikrotik owners can help me out with.

In lame man terms what are ment by the firewall chains input, output and forward.
    From what i've read forward is used for anything devices behind the firewall but unsure what the others for?

Is there any good guides on creating an IPsec VPN?

Enjoy. Like you I was blown away by Mikrotik, now I have 4 devices in my home including a rackmount CRS and 2x wAPs and a RB951 controlled by Capsman with 3 VLANs, main, guest and iot

Here is a good guide for VPN
    https://firstdigest.com/2015/01/mikrotik-l2tp-with-ipsec-for-mobile-clients/

Basically for firewall input is anything going to the router itself, forward is anything passing through the router

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 754 ✭✭✭whowantstwoknow

Hi

Recently switched to vodafone SIRO and would like to get RouterOS to connect directly without their router in between but not sure where to begin.

came across this discussion https://community.vodafone.ie/t5/Fixed-Service-Technical-Support/Lightspeed-SIRO-router-specifications/td-p/206325

Any help would be much appreciated.

Thanks
    W.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 smook

Not sure if anyone is still watching this thread but looking for help setting this up. Have Vodafone gigabit broadband router and need help configuring this microtik to extend wifi throughout the house.

Advertisement