Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

What would you consider the Midlands of Ireland?

Options
  • 20-05-2020 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭

Here are my thoughts:
    *North Midlands: Longford, Roscommon, South Leitrim, West Cavan
    *Core Midlands: Laois, Offaly, Westmeath
    *South Midlands: Carlow, Kilkenny and parts of Tipperary bordering Laois/Offaly

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,582 ✭✭✭✭The Princess Bride

The innermost counties surely, Laois as core midlands, Offaly, Westmeath, Longford.
    Any bordering counties, or parts there of, could possibly qualify as midlands too, but then, where do you draw the line?

For me, anything else is northern, southern, eastern or western.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,399 ✭✭✭its_steve116

The innermost counties surely, Laois as core midlands, Offaly, Westmeath, Longford.
    Any bordering counties, or parts there of, could possibly qualify as midlands too, but then, where do you draw the line?

For me, anything else is northern, southern, eastern or western.
    For the "core" midlands I just go with Laois, Offaly and Westmeath

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 135 ✭✭Cobalt17

The place you drive through to get to Galway

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

For the "core" midlands I just go with Laois, Offaly and Westmeath
    For the "hardcore" midlands I just go with Westmeath.

• Registered Users Posts: 859 ✭✭✭Randy Archer

[HTML][/HTML]
    For the "hardcore" midlands I just go with Westmeath.

And yet, the geographical centre of the country is about 7 km north of Athlone ,in Roscommon . Not saying Rossie land is midlands , mid west at best but not Midlands .

Bogford n Offaly are Midlands Too

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,233 ✭✭✭✭endacl

Anywhere you can't smell the sea, but can hear country music.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,452 ✭✭✭gogo

Laois is the only county that touches a county that doesn’t touch the sea ... therefore Laois to me would be the true midlands, every other county is only one county away from the sea, Laois is two counties away from the sea..

gogo wrote: »
    Laois is the only county that touches a county that doesn’t touch the sea ... therefore Laois to me would be the true midlands, every other county is only one county away from the sea, Laois is two counties away from the sea..

Laois is the only county that touches a county that doesn’t touch the seas ?

Westmeath borders Longford, Roscommon, Offaly . Neither county touch the sea (Ya have to go through Roscommon to get to Ballinasloe Galway ) .. I hear what you said about one county away from the sea etc But Laois is not remotely geographically in the middle of the county when you look at the grids

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

Westmeath borders Longford, Roscommon, Offaly . Neither county touch the sea (Ya have to go through Roscommon to get to Ballinasloe Galway ) .. I hear what you said about one county away from the sea etc But Laois is not remotely geographically in the middle of the county when you look at the grids
    When did Westmeath stop bordering Meath?

It may not be dead Centre but as landlocked counties goes, its the most landlocked county in Ireland .. ergo making it the middle for me ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

Hill of Uisneach!

When did Westmeath stop bordering Meath?

Ah here , the Meath sea coast is barely there , sure it intertwined with Louth every couple of km

Either way, the notions that a midlands is only based on the fact that it doesn’t touch a county with a coastline is laughable

The auld grid numbers are clear, Laois ain’t remotely close to the middle of the country. Well over 60km away

Besides with that logic of the op , Laois borders Kildare which boarders both Meath and Dublin and Wickla

Hill of Uisneach!

Nope , not even close . The geographical centre is Carnagh ,5km north of Athlone , on the Roscommon side

gogo wrote: »
    It may not be dead Centre but as landlocked counties goes, its the most landlocked county in Ireland .. ergo making it the middle for me ;)

I take it duster got thrown at you in geography class

Tipperary is also a land locked county , in fact the biggest . Longford is also landlocked (sans Lough Ree)

Offaly is also landlocked

By the other geniuses method of not touching a county that doesn’t touch another county by sea, he too is talking rubbish for Laois touches Kildare who boarders Wicklow and Dublin and Meath

I take it duster got thrown at you in geography class

Tipperary is also a land locked county , in fact the biggest . Longford is also landlocked (sans Lough Ree)

Offaly is also landlocked

By the other geniuses method of not touching a county that doesn’t touch another county by sea, he too is talking rubbish for Laois touches Kildare who boarders Wicklow and Dublin and Meath

I can explain what winking emojis mean if you want?

• Registered Users Posts: 37,813 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

Here are my thoughts:
    *North Midlands: Longford, Roscommon, South Leitrim, West Cavan
    *Core Midlands: Laois, Offaly, Westmeath
    *South Midlands: Carlow, Kilkenny and parts of Tipperary bordering Laois/Offaly

would never count Carlow, Kilkenny or Tipp as 'Midlands' in any form

• Registered Users Posts: 1,035 ✭✭✭BrianBoru00

Four counties to my mind in the midlands. West / Northwest / North / Northeast / East/ Southwest/ Midwest on this map....

Roscommon - could be moved to the midlands but its also in the west.
    Cavan could be in the nw AND the ne
    Kilkenny ??

Then if you just had NSEW and the midlands...
    you could have it this way

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

Reminds of years ago when an RTE News reported Athlone Town V Monaghan Untied as a Local Derby.

• Registered Users Posts: 377 ✭✭ThumbTaxed

Lived in Athlone for 3 years when working there. I enjoyed it, nice sized town but wouldn't live there permanently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,053 ✭✭✭TimHorton

ThumbTaxed wrote: »
    Lived in Athlone for 3 years when working there. I enjoyed it, nice sized town but wouldn't live there permanently.

Nobody wants to be from the Midlands, Waldrons Bacon claims to be from the West Of Ireland FFS and they are located just outside Athlone!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,822 ✭✭✭✭Larbre34

A kip.

Midlands for me - Longford, Westmeath, Offaly and Laois, Southern part of Kildare, southern part of Roscommon
    Midwest - North Tipp, Clare, Limerick, Southern part of Galway
    West - Galway, Mayo, Sligo, Northern Roscommon
    South East - South Tipp, Kilkenny, Carlow, Wexford, Waterford, and some Southern parts of Wicklow
    South West - Kerry and Cork
    Dublin commuter area - Dublin, Meath, North Kildare, North Wicklow
    Border region - Louth, Monaghan, Cavan, Leitrim, Donegal

Isn’t Eyrecourt the centre of Ireland and the Hill of Uisneach the centre of the island?

When I’d hear midlands mentioned though I’d always think Laois and Offaly, in particular the former.

Isn’t Eyrecourt the centre of Ireland and the Hill of Uisneach the centre of the island?

When I’d hear midlands mentioned though I’d always think Laois and Offaly, in particular the former.

Eyrecourt itself is slightly more Westerly. Not by much. Even without taking the North into account, I think this is still the case. Could be wrong

https://www.google.com/maps/place/Townparks,+Eyrecourt,+Co.+Galway/@53.1997153,-9.2520325,8z/data=!4m5!3m4!1s0x485c5ddf58947881:0xa00c7a997320010!8m2!3d53.1997171!4d-8.131427

Brideswell , Athlone co Roscommon , to precise . The area has always being part of Roscommon. Roscommon is part of Connacht , west of the Shannon, ergo, the West

Basic Geography class , lads ffs

Advertisement