Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Manchester United Teamtalk/Transfer Rumours/Gossip 2019/20

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

Drumpot wrote: »
    I can’t really say whether it makes sense to buyback Depay or accept it didn’t work out and leave it at that.

But I do wonder if he is a solid example of how Manchester United has been a toxic club for younger players to harness character. He certainly didn’t leave here with a solid reputation. I really think the clubs values start from the top. It’s been eluded to before but money and prestige is what’s being drummed into players as the benefits of playing for man united.

Part of the problem is that they are getting the money regardless of proving anything and appear to act like just playing for United is “making it” or all they need to do to get all the prestige. United dragging these players around the world and whoring them to any marketing opportunity possibke has created its own environment outside of football that signals to players what the clubs true intention are truly. So any under performance on field may theoretically be compensated in other areas.

I can’t say for certain that this is the case but its definitely possible. The Owners and CEO have shown nothing but contempt to fans, sucked hundreds of Millions out of the club and continue to refuse to make any significant changes to how they use resources for the football side. I think at this stage Woodward is clueless but speaks with authority and talks the talk with no real competency to his methods. None of us here know for sure how deep woodwards influence poisons the club, I would say its far greater then most imagine.

Zaha is another one. Fell out of favour with Moyseh but still never flourished. Would improve United now albeit a little older than Depay

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 765 ✭✭✭Dozyart

There was a new strength and conditioning coach appointed in July,put the pitchforks away for now lads!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,132 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

https://twitter.com/sistoney67/status/1182553699366912000?s=21

Reports Chevrolet are not impressed with Uniteds performances since 2014 since the deal came into place.

More worryingly is the club is looking for a sponsor to match terms.. surely club should be looking to get a sponsor to pay more 5 years on?

We'll be doing well to get the terms matched tbh.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

Reports Chevrolet are not impressed with Uniteds performances since 2014 since the deal came into place.

More worryingly is the club is looking for a sponsor to match terms.. surely club should be looking to get a sponsor to pay more 5 years on?

In a time where Utd's performances have nose dived and the value of the Premier League TV deal had gone down, getting a similar deal to the last one (which didn't go down too well with Chevrolet shareholders) would be pretty impressive. Remember we'll be losing millions from Adidas next season for being two years out of the CL.

Performances on the field affect sponsorships. Hopefully this may be the kick to get the Glazers to realise that you have to spend big money to keep those big money headline sponsorships coming in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

pjohnson wrote: »
    We'll be doing well to get the terms matched tbh.
    In a time where Utd's performances have nose dived and the value of the Premier League TV deal had gone down, getting a similar deal to the last one (which didn't go down too well with Chevrolet shareholders) would be pretty impressive. Remember we'll be losing millions from Adidas next season for being two years out of the CL.

Performances on the field affect sponsorships. Hopefully this may be the kick to get the Glazers to realise that you have to spend big money to keep those big money headline sponsorships coming in.

You would think that the state of the team would have our value dropping significantly around the world and maybe this season could really dent it. But it appears our brand value is still second in the world over the summer

https://www.statista.com/statistics/234493/football-clubs-in-europe-by-brand-value/

I don’t know how they work this all out but number of supporters and other variables still make United one of the most attractive clubs to Sponcor in the world. Think about click bait stories and even journalists who say writing anything about United is always a win for getting readers. There is still so much interest in the club which Rewards the Glazers whether they fix the footballing side of things or not.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,974 ✭✭✭Backstreet Moyes

Zaha is another one. Fell out of favour with Moyseh but still never flourished. Would improve United now albeit a little older than Depay

Kagawa , Mikhatarian, sanchez, Martial, Mata United is the place to go if you want to lose attacking ability

Surely at some point somebody looks at what the attacking coaches do at the club

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Nuts102 wrote: »
    Kagawa , Mikhatarian, sanchez, Martial, Mata United is the place to go if you want to lose attacking ability

Surely at some point somebody looks at what the attacking coaches do at the club

Just on Mata what a disappointment he's turned out to be. It's crazy he's still at the club with a new contract he's done nothing in a United jersey, Suppose he's a nice guy though and writes a great blog.

Hugs Juan.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 12,181 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cookiemunster

You would think that the state of the team would have our value dropping significantly around the world and maybe this season could really dent it. But it appears our brand value is still second in the world over the summer

https://www.statista.com/statistics/234493/football-clubs-in-europe-by-brand-value/

I don’t know how they work this all out but number of supporters and other variables still make United one of the most attractive clubs to Sponcor in the world. Think about click bait stories and even journalists who say writing anything about United is always a win for getting readers. There is still so much interest in the club which Rewards the Glazers whether they fix the footballing side of things or not.

That interest only lasts so long when you're not playing CL and not even competing for trophies.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭Adamcp898

A player who loved to run at defenders being made to play in a system where staying inside an invisible 6 square feet box because of the "philosophy" was never going to work.

He had more issues than just LvG’s tactical view of the game. He was even punished for the same attitude problems at Lyon in his first season with them. He looks to have matured and kicked on now a bit but we can’t whitewash every single issue at the club and blame it solely on the manager of the time.

• Advertisement

bmcc10 wrote: »
    Just on Mata what a disappointment he's turned out to be. It's crazy he's still at the club with a new contract he's done nothing in a United jersey, Suppose he's a nice guy though and writes a great blog.

Hugs Juan.

We paid a fortune for a world class number 10 and played him on the wing for his time at the club really sums up why we are in this mess

I will always remember the two great goals he scored to beat Liverpool 2 1

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,018 ✭✭✭✭adox

At some stage players have to be held accountable too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Chevrolet not wanting to renew has nothing to do with Utds results. Chevrolet are pulling out of Europe altogether. They bought Daewoo in a hope to break into the European market and rebranded and marketed Daewoo cars under the Chevrolet badge.

They used Utd as a sponosor to push the advertising for this, it turns out Europeans don't want to buy terrible cars that have been rebranded so Chevrolet is pulling out. They have no need for Utd anymore.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,277 ✭✭✭✭Mitch Connor

Chevrolet not wanting to renew has nothing to do with Utds results. Chevrolet are pulling out of Europe altogether. They bought Daewoo in a hope to break into the European market and rebranded and marketed Daewoo cars under the Chevrolet badge.

They used Utd as a sponosor to push the advertising for this, it turns out Europeans don't want to buy terrible cars that have been rebranded so Chevrolet is pulling out. They have no need for Utd anymore.

Wasn't the guy who headed up the deal fired or left fairly soon after? I don't think there was ever a chance of them renewing the deal, they didn't like it even before we went sh1t.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,495 ✭✭✭✭bucketybuck

Nuts102 wrote: »
    We paid a fortune for a world class number 10 and played him on the wing for his time at the club really sums up why we are in this mess

I will always remember the two great goals he scored to beat Liverpool 2 1

I've stated my case on Mata many times, but he has nobody to blame but himself.

Came to United in his prime years and not once, not once in 5 years and 4 managers has he ever stepped up and made himself a first name on the team sheet.

He is one of life's passengers and and the ultimate example of the lack of drive that is killing that squad.

adox wrote: »
    At some stage players have to be held accountable too.

The majority of the players are not good enough I would that down to Woodward

All of the players look clueless on the pitch I would put that down to Ole

I mean the regression of Rashford this year has been huge he is being managed by a former striker yet he has forget you need to attack the ball in the box

While the team is weak I think a good manager would have us further up the table and with money to spend in January a chance for top 4 I would stress a slight chance while under Ole I would be amazed with a top 10 finish

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,498 ✭✭✭Your Airbag

Wasn't the guy who headed up the deal fired or left fairly soon after? I don't think there was ever a chance of them renewing the deal, they didn't like it even before we went sh1t.

He was fired 48hours after making the deal. It turns out senior exec's at Chevrolet were furious when they learned they would be paying 6m a year more than AON were to have their badge on our shirts and it emerged that he didn't disclose the full details of the deal to the board. That alone is a sack-able offense.

There was zero chance they were going to renew this deal no matter how good or bad we were.

Were already going through a bad time as it is and this is great clickbate kick em while they're down material for the press. Lets not push it on here.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 18,406 Mod ✭✭✭✭DM_7

Adamcp898 wrote: »
    He had more issues than just LvG’s tactical view of the game. He was even punished for the same attitude problems at Lyon in his first season with them. He looks to have matured and kicked on now a bit but we can’t whitewash every single issue at the club and blame it solely on the manager of the time.

He was also only at United with LVG for a season and the manager knew the player had issues with maturity when signed. He needed to grow into the pressure of a big club with the big expectations.

He was never meant to be a major player from day one. He was a Nani, Anderson type signing who was to be developed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭clubberlang12

Came to United in his prime years and not once, not once in 5 years and 4 managers has he ever stepped up and made himself a first name on the team sheet.

He is one of life's passengers and and the ultimate example of the lack of drive that is killing that squad.

I'd echo similar thoughts to this. I said a couple of months ago when he signed a new contract that it typified the character of the team. Here was a guy, in the twilight of his career, having being very much a rotated player under numerous managers, finally having the freedom to move somewhere where he could potentially finally be a first team player and enjoy the last few years of his career. Or he could sign a contract and stay knowing that he would remain a bit part player and potentially waste the last few years of his playing days.

We know which one he chose.

• Registered Users Posts: 768 ✭✭✭damowill

Below is a ranking of all players United have signed since 2013.

A total of 28 players since 2013!!! Thats an insane number. I'm not sure how many players other clubs have bought and Id love to see how many players have actually played for us since 2013. A lot id imagine, which highlights the high turnover of players we have had, and our big failure in the transfer market. We have bought mediocrity. Morgan SCHNEIDERLIN is a case in point. Did our scouts actually watch him?

https://www.givemesport.com/1501880-ranking-the-28-players-man-utd-have-signed-since-2013-from-worst-to-best

DM_7 wrote: »
    He was also only at United with LVG for a season and the manager knew the player had issues with maturity when signed. He needed to grow into the pressure of a big club with the big expectations.

He was never meant to be a major player from day one. He was a Nani, Anderson type signing who was to be developed.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying, it sounds like you're blaming LvG for Depay not showing a willingness to mature?

And he never got close to either Anderson or Nani's level of performances, developmental or otherwise. That's ultimately why he was moved, the attitude problem would've been overlooked if was performing but he was a passenger in every game he played bar one away to Club Brugge.

I've no problem with Depay either, I'm just not sure why some people seem eager to use him as an example of the club's failings when there are plenty of other more legitimate failings to choose from.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,245 ✭✭✭Esse85

The off the field nice guy image of Mata has certainly exonerated him from criticism on the pitch.
    Fully agree with your comments.

I've no problem with Depay either, I'm just not sure why some people seem eager to use him as an example of the club's failings when there are plenty of other more legitimate failings to choose from.

So you don’t see players who stagnate/regress at United but thrive at other clubs, as an example of one of the clubs failings?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,790 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

Mata, a player who struggles in the league because of his lack of pace and physicality... every single other attribute as an attacker he possesses in abundance but the one thing in this league you require from the get go is pace, he hasn’t got it.... this limits him... for him to be effective he can only play in the hole behind the striker... his limitations are exposed if you play him out wide where he doesn’t have the required speed... in central midfield he’d have the ‘footballing’ attributes but his physicality or lack of it will be an issue. Less so maybe in a 5 man midfield... but you need a competent and dynamic attacker for that to work...

he is 31 but looking at him play it’s like watching a 34 year old.. I don’t think he offers much of anything to United... he’s walking around with ‘upgrade please’ sign flashing over his head... we need someone with Mata ability but 100% better physicality and pace to augment that footballing prowess.

All very good talking about it but when it happens is anyone’s guess..

I hear this debate about Depay from time to time but to me he isn't a player that would have improved had he stayed at the club and he wouldn't much improve us now if he joined the club.

Stats wise he had 12 goals and 16 assists last season in France. Rashford had 13 goals and 9 assists in what was a rubbish season in the PL.

So those stats are fine for Depay, but for me they aren't good enough to make us ignore the simple fact that his mentality wasn't good enough the first time around and quite easily might not be good enough if he were to return.

Has he matured since he left? Probably. But character and attitude are huge problems within our squad, that needs to be addressed and that means staying away from anybody who has even a hint of similar problems, no matter who it is. There is a bigger picture there beyond just a player who might give us a few extra assists.

So you don’t see players who stagnate/regress at United but thrive at other clubs, as an example of one of the clubs failings?

You know issues like this are never as binary as that. As evident in this particular case by Depay being disciplined at Lyon for similar behaviour. It looks like the penny eventually dropped though and he put his head down but you can’t attribute that solely to United.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

I see Lyon’s chairman say Jose rejected them because he already has his next club lined up.

Given the talks of him to Spurs, I wonder what’s happening there. Has Jose already been approached, or is he more just campaigning for it.

I'm not sure I get what you're saying, it sounds like you're blaming LvG for Depay not showing a willingness to mature?

And he never got close to either Anderson or Nani's level of performances, developmental or otherwise. That's ultimately why he was moved, the attitude problem would've been overlooked if was performing but he was a passenger in every game he played bar one away to Club Brugge.

No issue with LVG at all. The opposite really, he had a manager who wanted him, who knew maturity would be an initial problem, player would need time and the change in manager led to his departure.

Not blaming Jose either btw but the club for not having an understanding of the players they were buying and then they end up leaving in 18 months.

You know issues like this are never as binary as that. As evident in this particular case by Depay being disciplined at Lyon for similar behaviour. It looks like the penny eventually dropped though and he put his head down but you can’t attribute that solely to United.

But nobody is suggesting this is the one major factor, just that it’s one of many issues. If it was one or two players you might have a point, but practically every player signed has disappointed on some level since Woodward took over.

I hear this debate about Depay from time to time but to me he isn't a player that would have improved had he stayed at the club and he wouldn't much improve us now if he joined the club.

Stats wise he had 12 goals and 16 assists last season in France. Rashford had 13 goals and 9 assists in what was a rubbish season in the PL.

So those stats are fine for Depay, but for me they aren't good enough to make us ignore the simple fact that his mentality wasn't good enough the first time around and quite easily might not be good enough if he were to return.

Has he matured since he left? Probably. But character and attitude are huge problems within our squad, that needs to be addressed and that means staying away from anybody who has even a hint of similar problems, no matter who it is. There is a bigger picture there beyond just a player who might give us a few extra assists.

Memphis believed in himself and reacted badly at times when he felt he was not treated as important. Yep, that is not mature but it also shows desire and setting goals, looking to hit heights.

Instead of sulking in the corner he was up front with people. Which is something we can question about United players since he left. Would be great to see that edge, attitude and bite amongst the United players now.

I wouldn’t disagree with most of these sentiments.

But I would of thought Nani more as a squad player then a regular starter. I never really saw Nani as a nailed on first teen starter for us. In his 7 years at the the club his best 2 season appearance in epl was between 2010 and 2012 in which he started 55 out of 76 EPL games. I would of considered Depay a squad player in a title winning team, similar to Nani who drove us mad at times.

Even Players with poor character can raise it in title winning squads. I think that’s one of the reasons why our last EPL winning Squad so easily fell apart. As soon as the experience left , what was left behind was players who were driven on by better players and a winning culture. Kind of like the joke culture we have now that’s been allowed to get worse and worse over the years, particularly as Woodward undermined coach’s.

• Advertisement

Mata has been shít for at least 2 years now, but to say that he has never stepped up or to ask what has he ever done is just wrong. Was our best player for spells in his United career, like early in the 2015/16 season, and has popped up with some amazing one off performances too...just not in at least 2 years.

We bought a gifted 10 to stick him out on the right wing for many of his games...just one of the many mistakes made in these hugely detrimental 6 years at the club.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    I see Lyon’s chairman say Jose rejected them because he already has his next club lined up.

Given the talks of him to Spurs, I wonder what’s happening there. Has Jose already been approached, or is he more just campaigning for it.

Saw that but Aulas is fond of a headline or two, not least when it also flatters Lyon slightly, especially at a time when they're in a bit of flux so pinch of salt and all that.
    But nobody is suggesting this is the one major factor, just that it’s one of many issues. If it was one or two players you might have a point, but practically every player signed has disappointed on some level since Woodward took over.

Well my initial post was in reply to the suggestion that Depay's failure at United was due to him being misunderstood as an individual and I was only adding some balance to that.

Both the environment - the level of opposition & expectation - as well as the player themselves have a huge part to play also, not just the club when it comes to who succeeds and who doesn't.

Fwiw; Even if he had stayed I still don't think he would've proven successful for us, even with the associated lower expectation of players there is now. He just never showed the type of play United were expecting from him and things had stagnated for him (for whatever reason) by the time it was decided to move him on. Maybe United misunderstood either his capabilities or the exact type of player they were buying but I also think the player didn't mentally buy into the level of work they'd have to apply to be considered a success in a much more competitive environment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,762 ✭✭✭bmcc10

Mata has been shít for at least 2 years now, but to say that he has never stepped up or to ask what has he ever done is just wrong. Was our best player for spells in his United career, like early in the 2015/16 season, and has popped up with some amazing one off performances too...just not in at least 2 years.

We bought a gifted 10 to stick him out on the right wing for many of his games...just one of the many mistakes made in these hugely detrimental 6 years at the club.

He has never been the best player in any spells he's been bang average his whole time at the club

Mata scored some great goals tbf to him, probably a combination of him being misused and him being happy enough to go with the flow he never hit heights, that being said i dont thunk i ever watch him control a game like a silva, corzola type slower player can

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,005 ✭✭✭BDI

I think lads hit the nail on the head there earlier. There was a time under sir Alex when you were wondering who we could get rid of to replace with someone better. There always was that feeling that if a new signing was linked you’d wonder where they would fit into the team, who could be dropped.

For years now it’s been about not losing anybody, kind of like the fella doing the contracts is just mates with them all. Mata as nice a bloke as he is would be gone by now never mind Ashley young Fred Lingard would be kept maybe for league cup matches because he came from the academy.

If you weren’t a game winner you didn’t last at united under sir Alex but now you look at the squad and there isn’t one player who you are exited to see in the team because you know they will make something happen.

You look at the team sheet now and think, this game probably won’t get dragged by the scruff of the neck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,300 ✭✭✭✭Father Hernandez

https://twitter.com/trollfootball/status/1182578272653021185?s=21

Man United are a banter club

Desperate. Cheers Ed

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,221 ✭✭✭✭y0ssar1an22

why hasn't ole been sacked yet? regardless of the squad/owners/whatever he is not fit for purpose.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 42,602 Mod ✭✭✭✭Lord TSC

why hasn't ole been sacked yet? regardless of the squad/owners/whatever he is not fit for purpose.

Would you sack him without a replacement lined up?

I really would hope that they are working on figuring out who his replacement would be, but do feel they'll wait till after the Pool game to do it. Can't see any new manager wanting that to be their first game...

Give him until Christmas. If things are improving back him.

• Advertisement

https://twitter.com/trollfootball/status/1182578272653021185?s=21

Man United are a banter club

Desperate. Cheers Ed

Whats banter about it? Hasn't won an away game since getting the job full time? Something like 4 wins in the last 17 PL games. Just 5 goals in the last 7 PL games. A bit of cherry picking stats there but forget the name above the door, relegation form is relegation form wherever you see it.

And it isn't going to get better any time soon. I honestly think this is different to anything we saw under Moyes, Van Gaal or the bad man, our problems then were poor performances relative to the best teams. Now we get to see what a properly poor manager can do.

Lord TSC wrote: »
    Would you sack him without a replacement lined up?

I really would hope that they are working on figuring out who his replacement would be, but do feel they'll wait till after the Pool game to do it. Can't see any new manager wanting that to be their first game...

unfortunately yes. all my opinion of course....every day he's there takes away from the squad. better to have a nothing than a negative influence.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,965 ✭✭✭BenK

The complete inertia around the club these days with any important decision that needs to be made is so frustrating. Ole is clearly not up to it and needs to be replaced. Could you see any other genuine top team keeping him on? It's not like there'll be a clamour of teams to sign him up when he is eventually sacked.

It's completely different as well to giving someone like Ferguson time. He was a proven winner with a serious pedigree, Ole has zero track record as a manager and he's been trusted with this 'rebuild'. It's comical stuff really.

To be honest I’d say ole is just the face of the rebuild. The fan favourite that’ll get time.

The signings that get linked and then signed are usually linked before each manager comes in and still happen with the next manager.

I’d say he sorts training and picks most of the starting 11. I’d honestly say it’s like any sort of corporate structure now where the supervisor can’t hire or fire and if you are in with the top brass nothing can be done to you. Pogba plays when he is fit and so does rashford there’s a few others like this. I’d say as much as Ashley young annoys me he is probably the one fella working his socks off in training and the boss gets to pick when he can.

I think Moyes was the same. Brought in to shut up and do what they are told. Twitter followers and fashion trends and players perceived to be great get picked. There’s probably pie charts in boardrooms with more choice than ole.

When this happens he loses respect and the players start making a fool of him. Phoning it in, refusing to be part of a cohesive unit, individuals refusing to take responsibility, rotten.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,960 ✭✭✭billyhead

Do others actually think Ole will be gone if we lose against Liverpool. I doubt it personally. I reckon he will be in charge until Christmas at least.

billyhead wrote: »
    Do others actually think Ole will be gone if we lose against Liverpool. I doubt it personally. I reckon he will be in charge until Christmas at least.

Only if we lose by more than 3

He will be instructed to not let that happen. Somebody from marketing will probably visit the dressing room before the game to tell the players not to let that happen.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,193 ✭✭✭✭Kerrydude1981

Southgate out

Southgate out

in you mean? :pac:

sadly, it would be a massive upgrade. says it all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 54,621 ✭✭✭✭Headshot

I felt a disturbance in the force and I can see why from above

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

ESPN say 'sources' claim that new sponsors have expressed interest in becoming United's main sponsor once the Chevrolet deal is up and the amount involved is to surpass the £450 million deal that Chevrolet signed.

ESPN say 'sources' claim that new sponsors have expressed interest in becoming United's main sponsor once the Chevrolet deal is up and the amount involved is to surpass the £450 million deal that Chevrolet signed.

ole in i guess.

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement