Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is it worth getting another radiator

• 26-02-2020 2:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭

Our small extension is up over 35 years it's only 7x11 feet, with French doors there about 12 years now but even with an average radiator on it does be cold, I know the flat roof is due to be changed shortly as evrytime the guarantee is up it leaks,
    Ventilation could be better been some damp in here over the years
    Has it come to a stage now we're it might be cheaper in the long run to just knock it down and get it rebuilt
    The rest of house got the insulation in attic cavity etc but at time they said they really couldn't do extension ,

Any help really appreciated

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,672 ✭✭✭torrevieja

Sorry Mods am I in the Right Forum?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,612 ✭✭✭Yellow_Fern

You are in the right forum.It is possible the radiator is too small. There are calculators for measuring this.

You could check for airtightness.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators Posts: 10,141 Mod ✭✭✭✭BryanF

Can we have more detail about the construction of the a. floor b. wall & c. Roof. Construction? And d. When you had the Rads checked by a plumber last?

You are in the right forum.It is possible the radiator is too small. There are calculators for measuring this.

You could check for airtightness.

How do I check for air tightness ?

BryanF wrote: »
    Can we have more detail about the construction of the a. floor b. wall & c. Roof. Construction? And d. When you had the Rads checked by a plumber last?

Ok it’s a wooden floor
    Flat roof silver felt
    Rads never checked but the one in that room is very hot
    Think walls were 9x4 cavity but the dry lining may be inferior now
    Ventilation prob not great

Sorry I’m not great at this construction

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,853 ✭✭✭✭Idbatterim

Is there the normal vent in the wall ?

• Subscribers Posts: 41,831 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Built 35 years ago screams inadequate or no insulation to me.

Its probably a flat roof with no insulation, and a cavity block wall dry lined with no insulation.

You can check for these easily enough though

If it's in a good structural state, consider removing the ceiling and wall plasterboard in order to retrofit insulation

sydthebeat wrote: »
    Built 35 years ago screams inadequate or no insulation to me.

Its probably a flat roof with no insulation, and a cavity block wall dry lined with no insulation.

You can check for these easily enough though

If it's in a good structural state, consider removing the ceiling and wall plasterboard in order to retrofit insulation

Sydthebeat everything you say there is screaming correct But there’s no wall plasterboard , who do I get to sort this the roofer

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,293 ✭✭✭Claw Hammer

torrevieja wrote: »
    Sydthebeat everything you say there is screaming correct But there’s no wall plasterboard , who do I get to sort this the roofer

You have uninsulated walls, quite likely three of them external. No wonder your room is cold. A higher output radiator is unlikely to be much of a help.

Ok I’m going to sort the insulation in morning

• Advertisement
Advertisement