Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Goretex jacket recommendations

Options
  • 16-11-2020 9:53pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭

Keeping an eye out for a goretex jacket in the sub €500 range for commuting year round.

Ideally something will hit home in sales.

Sbs have a Held Montero & Revit Chronos under €400 but can't find too many reviews to get a better idea.

Is there anything in that price range with the goretex laminated as opposed to a removable liner?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,807 ✭✭✭dmigsy

I got one of these for 370 on XLmoto during the summer :

https://www.ebay.ie/itm/Dainese-D-Cyclone-Gore-Tex-Waterproof-Textile-Motorcycle-Motorbike-Jacket-SALE/352455895151?hash=item521002286f%3Ag%3AZpEAAOSwHupbkj2x&LH_ItemCondition=3

Great laminated Goretex jacket. They are going cheaper now as they are end of line. Never let a drop of water through and I've done a few days on the bike in all-day rain. My trousers gave up the ghost by lunchtime (Dainese D-dry, not goretex) but the jacket has been brilliant. If you can find one in your size they're well worth the money.

• Registered Users Posts: 34,102 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

I got a Dainese jacket last year in Bikeworld for just under €400, dry as a bone so far.

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

SBS will have a lot of options within your budget and should have plenty of customer reviews on the site too. But if you're still not sure look for the Ride Recommended badge, SBS normally tags the items that got this award.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Have this a year now and very impressed. Have worn it through all conditions and its super comfortable and dry. Go up a size though. I'm normally XL in everything but XXL in this. I got it for around the same price at the Bike Show last year in the NEC

https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/richa-cyclone-goretex-jacket-black-58334-p.asp

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 33,715 ✭✭✭✭listermint

Nope nope nope. I don't need to buy a goretex jacket. But this thread has me looking through swathes of sites now.

Thanks OP.

• Registered Users Posts: 410 ✭✭LLewellen Farquarson

I hear you listermint.

Just realised my rally pro 2 jacket is 14 years old and is in great condition, still waterproof.

And I just installed heating 😊

But oohhhh, new jackets.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,013 ✭✭✭✭Wonda-Boy

RST have a new laminate out.....my suit has been on order since the start of Sept. But with Covid and all the rest of it I be lucky to get it in December.

But the reviews are positive and anything to reduce the bulk of the Adv Series suit.

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭shivermetimber

Bought one of these a few years ago for around that money and it's kept me dry as a bone commuting in all weathers since. As said in the link, the outer layer does dry very quick which is great. No issues with any zips, buttons or overall quality. Never heard of Dane before but have been very impressed with this bit of kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,788 ✭✭✭Vikings

listermint wrote: »
    Nope nope nope. I don't need to buy a goretex jacket. But this thread has me looking through swathes of sites now.

Thanks OP.

I've been plugging away with a second hand suomy jacket covered by a richa rain warrior jacket for the last few years and it's served me well for an investment of around €150.

But I'd now like something a little more sophisticated. An all in one, all year option that isn't covered in clips and zips from different layers for all jobs. I figure I'm only going to find a jacket that fits that bill by going Goretex and going laminated. I'll live with a removable thermal layer for winter but I could just as easily throw a jumper on for the cold mornings and nights!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 157 ✭✭Melted

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

Ya ,Really like that Richa jacket. the Missenden flyer loves his. Nice style and fit ,nice colour too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,597 ✭✭✭Richard tea

veetwin wrote: »
    Have this a year now and very impressed. Have worn it through all conditions and its super comfortable and dry. Go up a size though. I'm normally XL in everything but XXL in this. I got it for around the same price at the Bike Show last year in the NEC

https://www.motorcycleshop.ie/richa-cyclone-goretex-jacket-black-58334-p.asp

Have the same the last year. Absolutely perfect so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Fireblade77

• Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Wonda-Boy wrote: »
    RST have a new laminate out.....my suit has been on order since the start of Sept. But with Covid and all the rest of it I be lucky to get it in December.

But the reviews are positive and anything to reduce the bulk of the Adv Series suit.

Testing their Pathfinder suit at the mo [very slowly, no commuting anymore...] and I am impressed with it.

Fabio wrote: »
    Testing their Pathfinder suit at the mo [very slowly, no commuting anymore...] and I am impressed with it.

Price is tempting. Can be got for €210 from sportsbikeshop right now.

How well does it shun the rain?

I'm sure it's good , but tbh if I get a next jacket soon il have to go goretex. Been burnt with water resistant textiles that won't last a 40 Min ride in rain. Get that belly rain patch all of the time. I'd not be of the opinion that you cant get decent waterproofing below the 400 Euro mark tbh. You have to combine cheaper gear with a wetsuit or wet gear of some description

listermint wrote: »
    I'm sure it's good , but tbh if I get a next jacket soon il have to go goretex. Been burnt with water resistant textiles that won't last a 40 Min ride in rain. Get that belly rain patch all of the time. I'd not be of the opinion that you cant get decent waterproofing below the 400 Euro mark tbh. You have to combine cheaper gear with a wetsuit or wet gear of some description

I've been leaning that way too - reason for this thread! Currently have cheap jacket + rain jacket.

Though having read a few reviews on laminated textiles (with own brand or other water resistance) the consensus is they are almost on par with goretex.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/473296

Something like this has got decent reviews. I do wonder how well it holds up over say 4/5 years though!

Vikings wrote: »
    I've been leaning that way too - reason for this thread! Currently have cheap jacket + rain jacket.

Though having read a few reviews on laminated textiles (with own brand or other water resistance) the consensus is they are almost on par with goretex.

https://www.sportsbikeshop.co.uk/motorcycle_parts/content_prod/473296

Something like this has got decent reviews. I do wonder how well it holds up over say 4/5 years though!

I stand by the goretex tbh. Learnt it with my boots. Spend the extra cash a few years back after sets of middling boots. Never buy anything else again.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

The only negative I can think of and the reason I've avoided laminate jackets is if you were unfortunate enough to hit the deck there's a strong possibility that even a small off would damage the waterproof finish, I'm open to correction here but I'd imagine a slide would mean the jacket our trousers are goners. This wouldn't necessarily be the case with gear that uses waterproof liners and I've personally reused crashed gear after a slide that was still WP.

I'd steer you towards the tried and tested goretex whether a liner or laminate, removable liner would be my preference personally. The problem I always found with own brand and other liners is they are perfectly waterproof at the start (probably when people wrote their reviews) but after a year or so they're shot and retreating them just doesn't work.

Yes you could go the budget route and get over suits etc. But for me, being able ride without having to watch the weather and wondering what jacket i should wear is a major plus. If the weather changes while I'm out and about I'm not wasting time stopping to put overs on which defeats the purpose of a bike IMO.

• Advertisement

Price is tempting. Can be got for €210 from sportsbikeshop right now.

How well does it shun the rain?

Good so far, although I've not been commuting daily so I haven't been able to test it as I usually would. I did give it a soaking with a garden hose and the water just runs off.

zubair wrote: »
    The only negative I can think of and the reason I've avoided laminate jackets is if you were unfortunate enough to hit the deck there's a strong possibility that even a small off would damage the waterproof finish, I'm open to correction here but I'd imagine a slide would mean the jacket our trousers are goners. This wouldn't necessarily be the case with gear that uses waterproof liners and I've personally reused crashed gear after a slide that was still WP.

I'd steer you towards the tried and tested goretex whether a liner or laminate, removable liner would be my preference personally. The problem I always found with own brand and other liners is they are perfectly waterproof at the start (probably when people wrote their reviews) but after a year or so they're shot and retreating them just doesn't work.

Yes you could go the budget route and get over suits etc. But for me, being able ride without having to watch the weather and wondering what jacket i should wear is a major plus. If the weather changes while I'm out and about I'm not wasting time stopping to put overs on which defeats the purpose of a bike IMO.

I agree with all of this really. However, it turns out the laminate on the RST Pathfinder is beneath the outer skin, it's directly under it so as long as the outer doesn't tear you're fine.

Motorcycleshop.ie to the rescue with 20% off for black Friday.

Stretched a but further and picked up a Richa Cyclone Goretex jacket for about 370

• Registered Users Posts: 2,003 ✭✭✭veetwin

Stretched a but further and picked up a Richa Cyclone Goretex jacket for about 370

That is a cracking price for a great jacket.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,568 ✭✭✭Skill Magill

Its 390 in sportsbikeshop.co.uk which normally gives the best price so that a good price you got.
    As an aside, I didn't realise that jackets went up to 6 XL, might be looking at that myself if working from home doesn't finish soon :)

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭rowanh

I have a Revit jacket and pants that are gore tex pro shell, i have had them 6 or so and not only have they always kept me completely dry but they are always dry when I put them on. I got them half price, would have been a bit much at retail but if I was replacing them I would really look for more pro shell stuff. From what I understand the waterproofing is on the outside rather than an inner layer, so it doesn't soak as such. I am wfh a bit this year but in general I have always commuted on the bike through winter etc.

Advertisement