Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Ewan and Charley Ride again - Long Way up

Options
  • 10-09-2018 11:48am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

Surprised at the lack of thread on this here.

I really enjoyed Long Way Round all those years ago, even if you can say they had it a bit easy.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2018/august/ewan-mcgregor-charley-boorman-long-way-up/
    They have been around the world and down it, but now Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are planning a new adventure; riding up from the southern tip of South America to the northernmost point of Alaska and filming it for a new TV series set to be called The Long Way Up.

The big question of course is will they take a BMW GS again, or will Charley's commitments with Triumph overrule that.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,717 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sonics2k wrote: »

I really enjoyed Long Way Round all those years ago, even if you can say they had it a bit easy.

https://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2018/august/ewan-mcgregor-charley-boorman-long-way-up/

The big question of course is will they take a BMW GS again, or will Charley's commitments with Triumph overrule that.

My guess is Charley on the new Triumph Scambler & Ewan on the Moto Guzzi V85. BMW ****ed Charley over, I'm sure they'd be reluctant to do business with them again. BMW made 10's of millions from the pair of them.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Bluefoam wrote: »
    My guess is Charley on the new Triumph Scambler & Ewan on the Moto Guzzi V85. BMW ****ed Charley over, I'm sure they'd be reluctant to do business with them again. BMW made 10's of millions from the pair of them.

Must have missed that, what did they to do Charley?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,465 ✭✭✭✭cantdecide

Watching the long way down back in 2008 inspired me to get on bikes having just appreciated from afar prior to that. I'm very pleased to see them back on the saddle.
    BMW ****ed Charley over,/QUOTE]

What do you mean?

Must have missed that, what did they to do Charley?

Having made millions from him, they cancelled his contract when he celebrity faded a little... now that he's involved with Ewan again I'm sure they'll be delighted the get involved again... but the pulled his contract & left him struggling with a young family. Triumph have supported him over the past few years without requiring the disproportionate returns...

Shortly after the first series I had to get a car and sell the bike... I was very disappointed, but such is life. I was chatting to one of my clients about the series and a few days later he rocks up to a meeting on a brand new 1200GS with full aluminium top box/pannier set and wearing an orange Ewan McGregor outfit... He came riding up the street standing on the footpegs... All I could think was "what a dick". I've been off the bikes until now, but planning a new bike at some stage in the medium term... Soon, I will be that dickhead

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

The second series was awful theyd a military operation behind them and it took any fun out of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,101 ✭✭✭Max Headroom

terrydel wrote: »
    The second series was awful theyd a military operation behind them and it took any fun out of it.

Got bored with the "celebrity" of it all...was talking to Charley during the summer in Laragh...he was admiring my "build" and was telling me of a bike he was getting built in London....yawn....:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,636 ✭✭✭corks finest

They have been around the world and down it, but now Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman are planning a new adventure; riding up from the southern tip of South America to the northernmost point of Alaska and filming it for a new TV series set to be called The Long Way Up.

Happy days outstanding show

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Hopefully its nothing like the second series, that bored the tits off me.

But man did BMW do well from that show. Almost all non bikers I meet remark on my bike and ask if "thats the same kind of bike in The Long Way Around?".

It would be gas if they went with KTM lol ~ I wonder who got fired over that one from the first show lol

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

Got bored with the "celebrity" of it all...was talking to Charley during the summer in Laragh...he was admiring my "build" and was telling me of a bike he was getting built in London....yawn....:rolleyes:

Not a fan of his, he should be delighted with what he got out of it, not moaning about BMW (wankermobiles anyway) ditching him. You got lucky mate, in the back of your middle class Scottish mates fame. It was a clever show at the start but one series was more than enough.
    He strikes me as the classic West brit type you find around laragh alright!

• Advertisement

terrydel wrote: »

Not a fan of his, he should be delighted with what he got out of it, not moaning about BMW (wankermobiles anyway) ditching him. You got lucky mate, in the back of your middle class Scottish mates fame. It was a clever show at the start but one series was more than enough.
    He strikes me as the classic West brit type you find around laragh alright!
    When did he moan about BMW wankermobiles? Don't confuse what I said with Carley Boorman... I'm not him.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

My guess is Charley on the new Triumph Scambler & Ewan on the Moto Guzzi V85.

I'd watch that, I'd buy the guzzi v85 TT if I could afford it :D

http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/en/

• Registered Users Posts: 14,230 ✭✭✭✭Cienciano

KTM fúcked up big time over that one. Christ, I know a good few people who did that journey on bikes, not the America part, but to the far side of Russia. Sure a lad was on here a while ago and did it in a transit! Saying they won't make it is unbelievably bad marketing. BMW cleaned up over it.
    mamax wrote: »
    I'd watch that, I'd buy the guzzi v85 TT if I could afford it :D

http://discoverv85.motoguzzi.com/en/

Looks cool. Wonder if there'll be any colour options?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

I'd watch it, there's shag all bike stuff on telly. Moto gp is the only thing worth watching.

In fact I might watch the long way round again now.

zubair wrote: »
    I'd watch it, there's shag all bike stuff on telly. Moto gp is the only thing worth watching.

I've watched it a few times too, I love the show.

The two lads come across very decent. I like that Charlie is a bit nuts, and pulls the occasional wheelie :D

I think Ewan meeting his wife ruined the second series.

If you're interested in following someone on a BMW R1200GS travel I'd highly recommend Oisin Huges, another journey I've followed a number of times.

I can't get his channel to embed for some reason but all 52 of his video's are HERE

• Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

The two lads come across very decent. I like that Charlie is a bit nuts, and pulls the occasional wheelie :D

If you're interested in following someone on a BMW R1200GS travel I'd highly recommend Oisin Huges, another journey I've followed a number of times.

I can't get his channel to embed for some reason but all 52 of his video's are HERE

I don't know why, but there were times in the show I just found Charley to be either patronising, or just a bit of a twat. Not enough to make me actively dislike him, but it certainly makes it all feel more real.

I watched it again with my daughter a few weeks back and it's still a good watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 879 ✭✭✭mamax

And now they are divorced......lads when ye go out on the bikes leave the women at home for gods sake :P

And now they are divorced......lads when ye go out on the bikes leave the women at home for gods sake other women alone and you'll still be happily married :P

Ewan and that bloody light saber, taking it out of his pants and rattling it about like that :D

• Registered Users Posts: 34,026 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Yep it was pretty cringeworthy.

Life ain't always empty.

Gas, that annoyed me about the second season too. I'm surprised the lads are still mates after he broke the code like that.

• Advertisement

Exactly. Charley should have decked him on-camera as soon as the idea was mentioned :) very much doubt it was Ewan's idea though

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭TheShow

Lesson learned, you don't bring apples to the orchard!
    Was ridiculous. She had no riding experience and just held them up the whole time. Turned the show into a bit of a farce.

TheShow wrote: »
    Turned the show into a bit of a farce.

Made Ewan look completely whipped as well, which is some achievement. He's well shot of yer wan imho :p

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,190 ✭✭✭Rory28

There is a good channel on youtube called 44teeth. They do something similar to the top gear budget challenges but with bikes instead. Worth a look if you have not seen it yet.

Rory28 wrote: »
    There is a good channel on youtube called 44teeth. They do something similar to the top gear budget challenges but with bikes instead. Worth a look if you have not seen it yet.

Ah the baron, I used to watch all his vids but now he grinds my gears a bit. I actually prefer the motorcyclist magazine vids now.

Ah the baron, I used to watch all his vids but now he grinds my gears a bit. I actually prefer the motorcyclist magazine vids now.

Phew, I thought I was alone.

I can't stand the smarmy prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

And now they are divorced.
    May Di vorce be with you!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,099 ✭✭✭prunudo

Agree that the second one wasn't as good and the wife appearing changed the dynamic of the show but I was impressed with some of the scenary as they travelled through parts of Africa.

Also Oisin's videos are good, a very enjoyable watch, he had a great manner behind the camera and really well edited.

• Registered Users Posts: 948 ✭✭✭fatbhoy

Ah man, you're a legend, thanks for that link. I loved the first series of the McGregor thing. This is going to be great!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,143 ✭✭✭✭blade1

fatbhoy wrote: »
    This is going to be great!

It's really great!

Advertisement