Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"What series are you on?"

Options
  • 30-08-2016 5:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭

My OH was asked this in work the other day. Not "Are you watching any good?", just an assumption that you are.

We are in a golden age of television. It's great. There are so many good series out there and it's assumed you are watching one of them at any given time. I can't move for recommendations from friends and family.

Does anyone else feel a bit overwhelmed by it all? There are only so many hours in the day! :) And so much to choose from. There also sometimes seems to be a competitive element to the binge-watching of series. :D

I'm going on holiday this week and the hotel only has WiFi in the reception area. Me and my fella are really looking forward to a week without screens, just relaxing and reading. The only thing I'll do internet-wise is have a quick scan of the news headlines in the morning and evening.

And then back to it again!

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,453 Mod ✭✭✭✭Shenshen

I sometimes think I'm the only person on the planet with a deep dislike of series - both TV and book.
    I only tolerate them in comic books.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Orphan Black and Fargo at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,475 ✭✭✭Elliott S

Shenshen wrote: »
    I sometimes think I'm the only person on the planet with a deep dislike of series - both TV and book.

Well, I have to say, I do like them as long as they are good! But with so many good ones now, I feel snowed under and unsure of which one to watch next. I don't think I'll ever get through them all! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 28,395 ✭✭✭✭Turtyturd

Shenshen wrote: »

The unfortunate thing is they've dumbed down comic books to attract the movie/tv show fans.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Started on orange is the new black last week surprised im actually liking it ,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,080 ✭✭✭✭Maximus Alexander

Gatling wrote: »

Just wait until you get to the bit where Piper dies in Season 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,303 ✭✭✭Temptamperu

Any yee watch Aquarius with David Duchovny from the x files. Its class.

I think people think I was asking the question in the title myself rather than reading the OP! :D I thought the quotations marks would distinguish it.

Oops!

• Registered Users Posts: 43,027 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

the golden age of television has long past

• Registered Users Posts: 11,311 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

Gatling wrote: »

Just finished it myself (or rather got up to date) and was surprised too. After two or three episodes I stopped hoping somebody would be shanked.

Watching Power at the moment - decent enough but not great.

Have watched/finished The Sopranos and The Wire for the first time this year and after finishing I genuinely thought "Well, nothing is going to beat those two" so in boxset limbo. For some reason I just keep putting off Game of Thrones

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

The Stranger Things is very good.

No it hasn't. Pre-Sopranos, TV was looked down as inferior to film, low rent. With the Sopranos, all that changed. And thank fook for that.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

If you can't tell your wonderful story inside 90 minutes, I don't want to know. You are most likely a padding merchant.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

Elliott S wrote: »
    I think people think I was asking the question in the title myself rather than reading the OP! :D I thought the quotations marks would distinguish it.

Oops!
    Nah I read your op but it wasn't as interesting as the title.

Finished Broad City- brilliant
    Louise CK's Horace and Pete was one of the best shows in years.
    Half way through Crazy ex gitlfriend- surprised I like it so much
    Just starting The End Of with John Tuturo and it's already really good.

Looking forward to 2nd series of Narcos.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,673 ✭✭✭mahamageehad

I think high production shows like Game of Thrones have really forced TV producers to up the ante. The like of Netflix and Amazon are always struggling to screw each other over in rights agreements for movies and shows, so original content has become the differentiator there too. While I agree that we've got some top class TV in the last few years, I don't think you can keep up with it all and I'm surprised those budgets have lasted that long.

humberklog wrote: »

Is there any need for that swipe? :confused: Quite catty!

• Registered Users Posts: 17,438 ✭✭✭✭MEGA BRO WOLF 5000

topper75 wrote: »
    If you can't tell your wonderful story inside 90 minutes, I don't want to know. You are most likely a padding merchant.

Wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Wrong.

Is that the start of a film about rural broadband issues?

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 10,430 Mod ✭✭✭✭humberklog

humberklog wrote: »

Is there any need for that swipe? :confused: Quite catty!
    Ah I was only joking, didn't mean it nasty. I thought it was funny how you post was ignored.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,681 ✭✭✭Fleawuss

The Golden Age of everything is in the past.

For those who like to live in the past.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,452 ✭✭✭✭The_Valeyard

Fleawuss wrote: »
    The Golden Age of everything is in the past.

For those who like to live in the past.

Unless you came from an age, with Gold.

Or a time machine.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,455 ✭✭✭maudgonner

topper75 wrote: »

Another way of looking at it is that if your story is insubstantial enough to be told in 90 minutes, I don't want to know.

That's an exaggeration, but in general I much prefer series to films. I enjoy getting to know characters, seeing them develop and having stories intricate enough to twist & turn through multiple episodes.

Band of Brothers is one of my favourite mini-series. I hate to think what it would have been like if they tried to squash it into a feature length story. (Saving Private Ryan, I suppose). As it is, I wish there was more of it, not less.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,262 ✭✭✭✭jester77

Finished Preacher recently, hit of the year thus far.
    Currently following Mr robot, fear the walking dead and halt and catch fire. The latter is my fave.

The great thing about prime is that you download to watch offline, so you don't have to worry about lack of WiFi on vacation ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 889 ✭✭✭messy tessy

Orphan black is a bit weird but like it!

Don't know about the competitive element to binge watching series ...Think it's more harmless office small talk rather than bragging about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,041 ✭✭✭Mister Vain

We are in a golden age of television. It's great. There are so many good series out there

I disagree. There's just more on demand TV now thanks to Netflix and Amazon. The actual quality of TV shows hasn't improved. I thought it was much better when the likes of Lost and 24 were on. Nip/Tuck was another great show. The last really good show I've seen is love/Hate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

I still haven't started season 1.

Of whatever.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,276 ✭✭✭readyletsgo

I urge everyone to watch The Leftovers, amazing show, and only one season left coming in March, get on that sh*T people! Thank me later.

Also, kinda watching Braindead atm, it's an easy watch, I feel it's for when you've finished watching new episodes of your favourite shows its perfect to turn your brain off to (lol).

I disagree. There's just more on demand TV now thanks to Netflix and Amazon. The actual quality of TV shows hasn't improved. I thought it was much better when the likes of Lost and 24 were on. Nip/Tuck was another great show. The last really good show I've seen is love/Hate.

See, I thought Lost was a pile of shíte! :D

But anyways, I'm taking about post-1999 so those shows fall into that category. Since the late 90s, there has been a steady stream of top quality shows. It doesn't mean that all TV series now are good.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I'm way behind on TV shows.

Watching one now and a guy that was killed in the last season is taking a shower in the opening episode of the next.

Maybe is a dream sequence. Will post back later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭NATLOR

Fargo is simply the best TV series ever made

Advertisement