Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

"When you're dead, you're dead."

Options
  • 04-06-2013 6:01am
    Registered Users Posts: 49

Let's face it, bar those with a self-deceptive and intellectually dishonest sense of direction in life, no one in this country believes in Jesus Christ as their lord and saviour anymore. The common conception is that once you're body dies, experience ends. If this is the case, why care about anything at all? Once each individual dies, it'll be like they never existed. This is both liberating and terrifying. Liberating in the sense that if you keep this in mind, you shouldn't ever feel the need to "get" or "achieve" anything, but terrifying in the sense that one day you will cease to exist forever.

The Hindus believe in reincarnation. That is, when you dies your essential energy goes and incarnates into another life form, usually human. But does anyone really wish to live another human life, let alone a severe multitude of them? Human existence is largely unpleasant; we are detestable cretins, yet many of us pretend like we're not.

Of the detestable cretins that we are, those of us who put on the façade of "life is so wonderful" are among the most insufferably cretinous. Life is depressing. You can make the best of it, and even by and large have a good time, but that doesn't negate the fact that our essential situation is miserly.

Having said all that, maybe, just maybe, there is in fact a far more substantial existence waiting for us after we die, heaven if you will, and this life is just some sort of test. If that's the case I'm going to kick who ever invented this dire kip straight in their divine balls.

Thoughts?

Agree with this statement? 5 votes

Yes.
    0% 0 votes
    No.
    100% 5 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 961 ✭✭✭TEMPLAR KNIGHT

I have ridden the mighty moon worm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,127 ✭✭✭yore

I have ridden the mighty moon worm

Is that a Euphemism for letting a man stick his cock up your arse?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 956 ✭✭✭jamaamaj

"When your brain dead" ..(edit sorry) Dead..
    ...Thats it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

One of our basic human instincts is self preservation. It's so powerful some people can actual convince themselves that even when they die, they'll continue to exist. But it's just ridiculous nonsense. When we die it's game over, and the time will come when humans no longer exist on this planet, then the time will come when this planet no longer exists, and it will be like none of us ever existed. It doesn't matter if you were prince or a pauper on this planet, because the time will come when every trace of us will be wiped from the universe.

Nino Brown wrote: »
    One of our basic human instincts is self preservation. It's so powerful some people can actual convince themselves that even when they die, they'll continue to exist. But it's just ridiculous nonsense. When we die it's game over, and the time will come when humans no longer exist on this planet, then the time will come when this planet no longer exists, and it will be like none of us ever existed. It doesn't matter if you were prince or a pauper on this planet, because the time will come when every trace of us will be wiped from the universe.

And then you will die from drugs on New Jack City :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

this is a topic on boards that i always try to avoid looking at even though its an inevitability...makes you wonder what the point of anything is..politicians and bankers ruling the world through greed..trying to streamline power for themselves, when in fact they will one day cease to exist, so what was the point in all the wealth and making others suffer because of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 49 mangochavez

Nino Brown wrote: »

I'll agree that you're in the correct position to postulate this, if you can answer two simple questions: 1. What is reality? 2. What is life? You cannot give any significant answers to these, because you and every other human are in too limited a position to do so. We can predict many things about how the universe behaves, but we do not know what it is. Reality is still a deep mystery and life as an aspect of it is equally mysterious. How can you say there's no continuity after death then?

it also makes you wonder how to live your life..live abroad and have a better prospect/lifestyle, return to ireland and live close to family? settle down and have kids? or continue enjoying a single life with limited stress...hard to know the decisions to make to live a happy and fullfilling existance.

I'll agree that you're in the correct position to postulate this, if you can answer two simple questions: 1. What is reality? 2. What is life? You cannot give any significant answers to these, because you and every other human are in too limited a position to do so. We can predict many things about how the universe behaves, but we do not know what it is. Reality is still a deep mystery and life as an aspect of it is equally mysterious. How can you say there's no continuity after death then?

why is reality a mystery?..we evolved and were born like any other mammal/being..this is our reality.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭force eleven

More atheist bullcrap. Life has a purpose, you atheists are just blind to it. I'm sorry for you.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭Nino Brown

Because we are just matter, albeit arranged in an interesting way, when we die we go back to being matter arranged in a not so interesting way. We are no more than various elements arranged in a such a way to create what we call life, but we are no more than the sum of those elements. I don't see why any particular arrangement of elements would create a ghost or spirit, or whatever it is people think survives when the body breaks back down.
    We have no reason to suggest anything exists after death, of course I can't rule it out entirely, but the probability is so remote I would consider it negligible.

More atheist bullcrap. Life has a purpose, you atheists are just blind to it. I'm sorry for you.

I wouldn't call myself an aetheist but i think as you get older and wiser its harder have faith in a god...at the end of the day science is science and how can you accept something there is no evidence of?

Thats cos your from the "Middle Lands"

ps. way too much time on my hands.:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 6,995 ✭✭✭Sofiztikated

Here, don't lump all us athiests in with that pretentious waffle, designed to get a rise out of people.

Yes, life has a purpose. Procreate, and pass on your genes to your offspring, thus continuing your blood line.

Everything other than that is circumstantial.

Hi OP

This is essentially a religious debate so would be best off in one on the Religion & Spirituality forums.

Please read their charter before posting.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement