Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

"What's the right number?"

• 06-10-2006 6:30pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭

I just had a woman ring me up looking for a particular company. I informed her that she had the wrong number and she asked me "What's the right number, then?". Is it just me or is this the height of stupidity...? :confused:

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,561 ✭✭✭Rhyme

Rhetorical question, there is no right number... just a series of adequate numbers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

I just had a woman ring me up looking for a particular company. I informed her that she had the wrong number and she asked me "What's the right number, then?". Is it just me or is this the height of stupidity...? :confused:

Nope, your in the wrong. The right number is 7

• Closed Accounts Posts: 36,634 ✭✭✭✭Ruu_Old

Tell them 11 8 50, if you get another one similar. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 565 ✭✭✭free2fly

LMAO! I found that really funny for some reason :D Definitely a stupid question!!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 47,353 CMod ✭✭✭✭Black Swan

Jack B, hi! This reminds me of a joke I heard of once at a party. Doubt it really happened, as some stories go at parties after a few pints. It went something like this (with your character name substituted)...*

Someone calls the local Gardai station and asks, "Is Jack B Badd there?"

Garda answers politely, "We have no Jack B Badd here."

An hour later, the Garda gets another call, "Can I speak to Jack B Badd?"

"There is no Jack B Badd here!" huffs the Garda answering the phone.

Another hour passes. "Can you ask Jack B Badd to come to the phone?"

"Hey!" yells the Garda. "This isn't funny. You could be arrested!"

A final hour passes. The Garda gets another caller, who states, "This is Jack B Badd. Any messages?"

Well, Jack B, could the mystery (and silly caller) have been a jokester? You have a lot of friends on the TCN forum who could have easily played with you.

*DISCLAIMER: Don't really do this with the Garda at home! They might not see the humour in it. You could be toast!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,294 ✭✭✭Jack B. Badd

Nah, the numbers are obviously similar as I've had a few calls looking for the company. It's like meeting someone who's name is Jack and going "Oh, I'm looking for someone with a similar name to yours. Do you know what his name is?"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,916 ✭✭✭✭iguana

Come on, the right number is 42. Even the mice knew that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

Well..... Was this a woman that you didn't know... like a wrong number? 'Cause then I would think it was a little weird of her to ask *you* for the right number.

On the other hand, if this woman was a friend of yours, calling asking for your help on finding the number, I don't think that's stupid.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,882 ✭✭✭fozzle

I work in a newsagents. The family who own the shop also own a flower shop. Last week I got a phonecall for the flower shop. I do not know the number for the flower shop.

Me: Hello, xxxxx's corner shop!

Caller: Is that xxx's florists?

Me: I'm afraid not, this is xxx's cornershop.

Caller: Well can you put me through to xxx's florists?

Me: I'm afraid not as we do not have a switchboard.

Caller: Oh. Well can you give me the number?

Me: I'm afraid not, I only started working here a few days ago and I haven't needed to ring the florists so I don't know the number.

Caller: Are you sure?

Me:Afraid so.

Caller: But I need the number!

Me: Well where did you get our number?

Caller: In the phonebook.

Me:Well I suggest you look for the number in the Golden Pages under "florists".

Caller: Well I suppose so. Are you sure you don't know it?

Me: Afraid so. Bye!

Why are people so stupid?!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,346 ✭✭✭✭KdjaCL

fozzle wrote:
    I work in a newsagents. The family who own the shop also own a flower shop. Last week I got a phonecall for the flower shop. I do not know the number for the flower shop.

Me: I'm afraid not, I only started working here a few days ago and I haven't needed to ring the florists so I don't know the number.

yes when they could have said "hang on"........walked outside shop..............looked up ..............remembered number............went back to phone................

kdjac

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 944 ✭✭✭NoDayBut2Day

fozzle wrote:

Was it your job to know the other number? If so, why didn't you just put her on hold and then go get it?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,472 ✭✭✭AdMMM

Today my friend saw a biography of Michael Collins on my desk and asked was it good? I said it was, then he continued, "What's it about?"...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,400 ✭✭✭✭Collie D

I had something similar a few weeks ago. A woman rang house phone looking for X company (can't remember name). Told her it was wrong number, sorry, bye etc. Few minutes later same woman rings, same conversation, woman hangs up without saying sorry or goodbye even though I had been polite which I thought was a bit rude. Third time she actually starts getting annoyed at me because I wasn't the company she was looking for. Eventually I lose the rag and just about to tell her to consult a ****ing phone book and also the user manual for her phone and the cow hangs up. Was so annoyed that I hadn't got to give her an earful that I was tempted to use caller display to ring her back and actually sat there for ten minutes waiting for her to call me again.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

We got a phonecall the November before last, as follows.

Fool: 'This is the XXXXX hotel, we'd like to place our orders for Christmas turkeys please?'

Flatmate: I think you have the wrong number.

Fool ' Ok....'

5 minutes later, phone rings again.

Fool: ''This is the XXXXX hotel, we'd like to place our orders for Christmas turkeys please?'

Flatmate: I think you have the wrong number again. This is 455xxxx.

Fool: No, that's definitely the number I need to call. Now can I please order the turkeys?

Flatmate: No. You have the wrong number.

Fool: Look, I really need to order these turkeys, now. Can you put me through to someone who can take my order, now please.

Flatmate: No, this is a rented house. There is no-one to put you through to. Please stop calling this number. Thank you.

Half an hour later: - I answer the phone this time.

Fool: 'This is the XXXXX hotel, we'd like to place our orders for Christmas turkeys please?'

Me: Okay, that's no problem, how many do you need to order?

Fool: We would need 25 turkeys

Me: Okay, what day do you need delivery?

Fool: Christmas eve.

Me: Okay, no problem. Thanks for calling!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 433 ✭✭me and the biz

^^ ha similar story.

In our old house the phone number was the same as a dentists except for one or two digits. Used to get a call for them every now and then. A woman rang one day about an appointment and my dad told her she had the wrong number. A few minutes later the same woman looking to make an appointment, tells her again. A little while later she rings again he says no problem I can book you in for Tuesday. I'll be extracting five teeth

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,553 ✭✭✭Demetrius

The stories in this thread sound like Rob Grant's Incomptence.:)

Yes, I've had one or two of those types of phone-calls. They expect that you are 11811.

Do a Rob Grant and give them out your number as the on they are looking for. Put them through to yourself again...and again if necessary.

Or else just go,

"Hello, XXXXX. How may I help you?":)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,487 ✭✭✭boneless

Many years ago when 'phone numbers were 'recycled' by the good old P+T, I was given the old Irish Times news desk number. It was fun!! I used to get all the breaking news and lots of hot gossip from hacks thinking they were on to the Maid of Fleet Street!!

I really miss that number...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

Why didn't you just give her a random number then?

When people in the street ask me for directions I just start making stuff up when I don't know where the place is. It makes them happy and I feel like a big man. I hope none of them walked down a bad street and got mugged. :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I am not a number! I am a MAN!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,264 ✭✭✭JBoyle4eva

This was a couple of months ago.

ME; Hello, (Video shop where I work)

Girl: Hi, canI book Scary Movie 4

Me: It's not out on DVD for a couple of months, as it's still in cinema.

Girl: I know, I just want to be the first person to get it.

Me: All right, I'll see what I can do. What's you name?

Girl gives name and I look it up on PC

Me: Yor name's not there. Are you a member?

Girl: No

Me: Well I can't make a booking unless your a member.

Girl: Never mind then (HANGS UP)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,440 ✭✭✭✭Piste

In the shop I work in we got a call last week asking for the name of the Dry Cleaners beside us :S

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I received a call at home one evening.

I said "hello"

The woman on the other end said "whos dat?"

So i answered its "well you rang me, more importantly... who are you?"

She hung up.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,611 ✭✭✭✭Sam Vimes

Pigman II wrote:
    Why didn't you just give her a random number then?

When people in the street ask me for directions I just start making stuff up when I don't know where the place is. It makes them happy and I feel like a big man. I hope none of them walked down a bad street and got mugged. :(
    do you really do that? that's a really bad thing to do to someone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

boneless wrote:
    I used to get all the breaking news and lots of hot gossip from hacks thinking they were on to the Maid of Fleet Street!!
    D'Olier Street!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 25,012 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

I always find it odd when people say "Who's this?" on the telephone. Do they not know their own identity?

When someone says that to me at work, I always reply "Sorry, I don't know who you are". The penny rarely drops though!

Today my friend saw a biography of Michael Collins on my desk and asked was it good? I said it was, then he continued, "What's it about?"...
    LOL :D:D:D Brilliant!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,395 ✭✭✭Marksie

I always find it odd when people say "Who's this?" on the telephone. Do they not know their own identity?

When someone says that to me at work, I always reply "Sorry, I don't know who you are". The penny rarely drops though!

yes, at work one day i said i was getting an asnwering machine.
    one girl said.."do you get a lot of calls when you are out then"

so i replied "i dont know, i am not there"

chamlis wrote:
    I am not a number! I am a MAN!

I <3 you...mainly because most of the people I know either wouldn't recognise that quote or wouldn't know where it came from :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,921 ✭✭✭✭Pigman II

It's 'I am a FREE man'.

Honestly, you're throwing your love away whilly-nilly there Jack.

I never throw love away, Pigman II, just <3s...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,175 ✭✭✭chamlis

I <3 you...mainly because most of the people I know either wouldn't recognise that quote or wouldn't know where it came from :(
    Hehehe Nerdelicious! :D

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Yeah people ring my office all the time looking for the ESB, must be a similar number and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who ask for the right number for the ESB when I tell them they're on to the wrong place.. Unreal.. I could probably write down the ESB's number and have it handy for such occasions but why the hell should I.. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭themole

xzanti wrote:
    Yeah people ring my office all the time looking for the ESB, must be a similar number and you wouldn't believe the amount of people who ask for the right number for the ESB when I tell them they're on to the wrong place.. Unreal.. I could probably write down the ESB's number and have it handy for such occasions but why the hell should I.. :D

My house number used to be close to a compnaies, the last didgit in mine was 7, theres was 6.

So, if people just misdialed the number i would tell them the right number. Not that much effort really, provided you knew the number that is. We had looked it up because we used to get the odd call looking for them.

Advertisement