Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorcycle endorsement on recently exchanged foreign licence

Options
  • 20-11-2020 4:40pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8

Hi Folks

I've recently exchanged a foreign (EU) driving license of 20 years for an Irish one (cheaper insurance, easier to ID etc etc, you got the memo).

In addition to the B category, my foreign license had some small motorcycle endorsements (AM and another one I think).
    Now when I applied for the Irish driving license at my local NDLS, the lady ticked some extra cases that I did not think would apply, and I now have the following categories :
    AM, same as the foreign license
    A1, with codes 70 (exchange of foreign license) and 79.05 (bikes above 11kw)
    A, with code 70 (same as above) and 79.03 (limited to trikes)

I've always contemplated getting into the motorcycle business, and this now seems like a nice little incentive.
    I would start with something smaller (125cc) anyway, but the above has left me perplexed : do I actually have the full A1 category and don't need to do any training/tests
    (NB I would still contact my local school to do some lessons and get familiar with the bikes, up until now my experience was limited to 49cc scooters and mopeds)

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,915 ✭✭✭✭Del2005

Contact the RSA for confirmation. You should be fine but if you crash insurance companies will dig and if the licence isn't valid then you will be in trouble. 3rd parties will still be covered but they can come after you to recoup the cost of the claim and you will have trouble getting insurance, a cancelled policy will affect you for a long time

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

Sounds like my situation. UK licence issued in 1989. Car test gave motorcycles up to 125cc back then . The A1 you have is valid , and you are not restricted to sub 11kw bikes. You can ride anything up to 125cc but no bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Psychoss

Thanks, yes that's what I was thinking, that the car permit, if obtained before a certain date (2003, 2006 ?) would give you the A1.
    Won't hurt to ping the RSA for confirmation anyway and, as I said I would definitely take up some lessons with the local guys.
    Now I guess the question is whether to do it on their material or my own .. I'll probably come back here for advice when I have some bikes on the shortlist :)

Thanks again.

• Registered Users Posts: 167 ✭✭myclist

I suggest doing a few lessons on a school bike to see if motorcycling is for you. You'll learn to o do it right from the beginning instead of picking up bad habits that you will have to unlearn. Ask your instructor and the RSA about progressive access to A2. Might be a cheap and quick way to get on a bigger bike which ultimately you will want to do if you catch the bug. You will have a greater range of bikes to chose from then.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

myclist wrote: »
    Sounds like my situation. UK licence issued in 1989. Car test gave motorcycles up to 125cc back then . The A1 you have is valid , and you are not restricted to sub 11kw bikes. You can ride anything up to 125cc but no bigger.

It didn't. Back then in GB you could ride a 125cc on L plates until aged 70 as the car pass removed the need to do a motorcycle (Group D) test within 2 years (or face a 12 month suspension of provisional group D).

The full Irish A1 is valid. Wife has one on her Irish exchange licence and she only sat a cat B test in France about 20 years ago.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Honestly you will be bored and frustrated on a 125.

Plus there are very few 125's where a 40 year old looks anything but ridiculous. 😆

Just bite the bullet and get your A license.

Well worth it IMO.

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 2,957 Mod ✭✭✭✭macplaxton

macplaxton wrote: »
    The full Irish A1 is valid. Wife has one on her Irish exchange licence and she only sat a cat B test in France about 20 years ago.

Found it, here it is:

527486.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 34,102 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Del2005 wrote: »
    Contact the RSA for confirmation. You should be fine but if you crash insurance companies will dig and if the licence isn't valid then you will be in trouble. 3rd parties will still be covered but they can come after you to recoup the cost of the claim and you will have trouble getting insurance, a cancelled policy will affect you for a long time

Why? It's a valid A1 full licence, the code indicates that the 11kW power restriction doesn't apply to the A1 just the 125cc limit (older UK licences had this, for instance.)

Fingal County Council are certainly not competent to be making decisions about the most important piece of infrastructure on the island. They need to stick to badly designed cycle lanes and deciding on whether Mrs Murphy can have her kitchen extension.

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Psychoss

macplaxton wrote: »
    Found it, here it is:

This is almost the same as mine, thank you.

Thanks everyone for the advice. Sure, I'm weighing in everything, and have considered the limiting aspect of the 125cc, but it would (hopefully) be a stepping stone towards something bigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,030 ✭✭✭colm_c

Have you actually sat on a 125 op?

• Advertisement
Advertisement