Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Motorbike Comms Headset Recommendation

Options
  • 02-10-2020 4:14pm
    Registered Users Posts: 22

Hi all! Looking for recommendations for the best headset for motorbike users as of 2020 as a bday present for my partner.
    What he's looking for is:
    -Clear audio
    -Take/Make phone calls
    -listen to music
    -Transferable to different helmet easily
    What I would also like for him:
    -Waterproof
    -Long battery life
    -Crash alert system
    -Connect to fellow riders (his mates don't have them YET, but I don't want him to end up wanting it and not having it!)
    -Sturdy

Budget isn't really an issue so long as its around or below say, 500 quid.
    Also if this is in the wrong place please let me know and I'll fix it!
    Thanks!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,236 ✭✭✭goblin59

Hi,
    Have a look at Sena, theyre meant to be the best at the moment
    I got a midlands BTx1 pro which is also pretty good, but much cheaper.

You can get some that have a built in camera as well which is definitely handy.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,619 ✭✭✭✭listermint

I've last model sena 20s. I have two. Can't fault it whatsoever. Excellent kit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

I have had Cardo Scala for a few years, been very good.
    Only downside with (any) rechargeable unit is battery life though.

Haven't heard of crash assist on one tbh.

If you want to use it on more than 1 helmet, buy two mounting kits and leave them on the respective helmets. The unit itself just clicks on to each kit - thats how i do it.

I am considering going back to a corded Autocom unit though.

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

Can only vouch for the cardo packtalk. Mesh system is great if others have it too. And is ideal for group rides.

As per Galway, a second base plate will mean you can swap between helmets... But we've only got one head, so I don't know why we all own so many helmets lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,761 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

zubair wrote: »
    Can only vouch for the cardo packtalk. Mesh system is great if others have it too. And is ideal for group rides.

As per Galway, a second base plate will mean you can swap between helmets... But we've only got one head, so I don't know why we all own so many helmets lol.

Lol: the "Good helmet" and the "Manky Helmet".

Doesn't everyone?? :)

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

Any links?

• Registered Users Posts: 400 ✭✭Rafal

Another vote (6 votes to be precise) for Cardo Packtalk Bold. I have been using it regularly with 5 of my friends for almost two years. Noise cancellation is excellent, unlike in the cheap ones. Battery always lasts for a very long day or more. When we toured Europe it easily lasted every day with spare. Mesh (Cardo called it DMC) is very good at automatically rejoining riders who get too far and the range is good. You can move between helmets easily, as long as you install additional speaker/mic sets in them. Very reliable, but occasionally if group members arrive separately at the start of the ride it is best to shutdown and restart everyone to ensure full mesh connect.

The downsides are awful technical support—you are pretty much on your own to solve any issues—and wildly fluctuating price. Shop around on louis.ie, motoin.de, fc-moto.de and amazon.co.uk for a good deal, often the twin set is better value.

I wish Sena and Cardo mesh would interface, but they don’t, so whatever choice you make now will impact your group choices later.

PS. I also use it, extensively, for navigation. My iPhone is in my pocket and I listen to voice guidance, either Apple Maps (recently improved for Ireland) which I find better without looking at a screen than Google, or Scenic, an app designed for bike navigation with offline maps. Any time you can say “Hey Siri, what is my estimated time of arrival” etc to get a sensible reply about traffic ahead, all without anything to mount on your bike and to have to look at. I’ve done some 12000km that way.

• Registered Users Posts: 286 ✭✭BobbyBingo

listermint wrote: »
    I've last model sena 20s. I have two. Can't fault it whatsoever. Excellent kit.
    +1 for the 20s. Have used it for the last few years together with the handlebar mount. No issues at all - v clear.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Hedgehog

We've just tested this one....

https://youtu.be/pXXnW9uweYQ

This is the into video - there are 2 more on set up and use.

Hope this is helpful!:o

Hedgehog
    BigBikeMad

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,245 ✭✭✭Fabio

Been using TCOM headsets I bought on ebay. Far cheaper that Sena etc, albeit probably not as good but it's fine for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,686 ✭✭✭horse7

I'm using Freedconn t_max.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,199 ✭✭✭Miscreant

Fabio wrote: »
    Been using TCOM headsets I bought on ebay. Far cheaper that Sena etc, albeit probably not as good but it's fine for me.

I have one of the TCOM headsets as well and it is basic but does the job. I can listen to music from the phone, tune in to the radio on the go and hear the Sat Nav instructions. For phone calls, you can answer an incoming one but for outgoing, you are stuck with using the last number dialled. There is no Voice Assistant available on it at all (Siri, Google or Amazon assistant) so that is a pain but for €30, I really couldn't expect more. Apparently you can connect several of the TCOM units together and they work over several hundred metres but I have no experience of it myself.

I suppose it all depends on what you want really.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 The Hedgehog

The Sena 10C Evo has a built in camera as well as an intercom.

Not cheap but the quality is very good.

Here's the install:

https://youtu.be/dooNvS-YEok

Dave

• Registered Users Posts: 3,283 ✭✭✭Dohvolle

Interphone are very good also, and they just teamed up with Sena so their units can vox with sena

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

Sorry to raise a thread from the dead.

I just picked up a Sena 10C Pro. At first I just wanted basic call and music... Then I though about what if I wanted to add a pillion in the future. Ended up going mad altogether...

The Pro was almost reasonable value. I don't need the high def features of the Evo... Will share my thoughts when it arrives.

I'm Billy No Mates when it comes to bikes, so not sure if I'll need the intercom... But will I be able to use it for my IBT, lessons, test? Even if they use a different brand, can I plug the speakers into their unit?

• Registered Users Posts: 643 ✭✭✭mjsc1970

Janey mac, I've just spent half the afternoon googling and you tubing this very topic. And it only came in to my head today.

I'll probably spend more hours wasted for yonx and ultimately go bananas and get the mutts nutts of a yolk like you got ;(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,459 ✭✭✭zubair

mjsc1970 wrote: »
    Janey mac, I've just spent half the afternoon googling and you tubing this very topic. And it only came in to my head today.

I'll probably spend more hours wasted for yonx and ultimately go bananas and get the mutts nutts of a yolk like you got ;(

Pretty much me with every purchase I make.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,712 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

mjsc1970 wrote: »

I started looking at the €50 range... And kept moving upwards until I had spent EVERYTHING 🤣

In fairness to me I had the Sena SF2 in my shopping basket overnight, but the site I was buying it from were having technical issues, so I couldn't complete the purchase.

• Advertisement
Advertisement