Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Where to buy pipe and tobacco ? Starter here..

Options
  • 26-10-2014 4:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 7

Hey fellas.

I'm quite keen to give pipe smoking a try. I find the simple act of mindfully puffing a tasty bowl very appealing. However I've know idea where to start. Could someone reckoned me a decent reasonable pipe and a few good brands/blends of tobacco to experiment with.

I had a look on some us stores but couldn't see any info on shipping info so I assume there are import restrictions. Should I order from petersons or some other Irish site or can I order from uk/eu.

All help appreciated greatly! Thanks.

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

It's worth taking the time to go to Peterson's in Dublin, or similar, and talk through what you're looking for with a professional. Quick-win online shopping is against the ethos of pipe smoking :P

• Registered Users Posts: 14,367 ✭✭✭✭Arghus

I'd like to second what BeerNut had to say about visiting Peterson's in Dublin.

I took up pipe smoking about two years ago after a long fascination with it. My first purchase was a Churchwarden pipe. They are known by their long stem. I'd read a lot of stuff online about how they produced a cooler smoke and their look appealed to me so I took the punt. I then struggled for a few weeks with a cumbersome pipe, whose stem made it impossible to see what was going on in the bowl. Nothing wrong with Churchwardens, they are a decent type of pipe but they definitely not for a rookie to try out for their first experience.

But I did not lose heart, I knew I had to persevere and to try to seek out good advice. So on my next trip to Dublin I went to Peterson's off Grafton Street. I asked for a simple pipe that would get the job done for a novice- He pointed me towards the Peterson 314. I haven't looked back since. It's compact, easy to clean and, once you've broken it in, ultra reliable. It smokes well and is a no hassle pipe. That's where I would start if I were you.

I realise that there's a certain irony in saying this here but don't believe everything you read on the internet. I read a lot of guff at the start and you can't really beat good solid advice from people who are helpful and know what they are talking about. The boys in the shop will set you straight.

As for tobacco- I started with the Peterson range. I stuck with aromatics to begin with. After much trial and error I've come to the conclusion that, for me, De-Luxe mixture works best. It smells good, doesn't bite and burns easy and smoothly. A good choice for a newbie if you ask me. All a matter of personal taste of course, trial and error is part and parcel of the experience, but I would say avoid Sherlock Holmes. It burns far too quick and tastes horrible. If you want to go down the Virginia route I would vouch for Orlicks Golden Sliced or Old Gowrie. Both are solid without being so strong as to blow your head off.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭tomtucker81

Only checking in now and see this thread.
    How did you get on? Did you get to Petersons or have you made a purchase?

• Registered Users Posts: 5 Craciun

Any ideas where you can find amphora mellow blend in Dublin?

Advertisement