Boards.ie uses cookies. By continuing to browse this site you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Click here to find out more x

11-09-2019, 13:30   #1
Elite Woad Raider

The Flags and Emblems Act 1954

Under the flags and Emblems Act 1954, flying of the Irish Tricolour in Northern Ireland was considered a breach of the peace and was therefore considered illegal. This act was revoked in 1987.

I was shocked when I first discovered this. I was even more shocked when I discovered it was enforced at funerals in the north!

Have young people forgotten how bad the Orange State was especially now when the likes of Drew Harris are serving in the Garda?
Thanks from:
Advertisement
15-09-2019, 07:05   #2
BalcombeSt4

"Have young people forgotten how bad the Orange State was especially now when the likes of Drew Harris are serving in the Garda?"

Well seeing as how they are probably too young to have known what it was a law I doubt they could have remebered to have forgotten.

But I agree with you in general it was a pretty mad & stupid law alrite and led directly to the Divis Street Riots of 1964 & plenty of clashes with the sectarian RUC over flag drapped coffins, it's something you would have expected to see in the penal laws, but th whole Emergency Powers Act was a disgusting abuse of power and in the words of Sir Oliver Wright...

"Democracy, in the circumstances of Northern Ireland, Stormont then equated (pre 1972 Stormont) to a form of tyranny".
Thanks from:
15-09-2019, 07:14   #3
rockatansky

OP, during the 50s and 60s Northern Ireland was considered one of the most tolerant, equal and welcoming societies in the world to all races, creeds and nationalies.

Then out of thin air the Provisional IRA arrived and changed all that.
15-09-2019, 08:03   #4
Markcheese

Are you equating stupid laws from the past with a professional garda commissioner.? I'm failing to make the connection...
(3) thanks from:
15-09-2019, 09:05   #5
Del.Monte

Thread in wrong forum?
Advertisement
15-09-2019, 13:25   #6
Elite Woad Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Markcheese View Post
Are you equating stupid laws from the past with a professional garda commissioner.? I'm failing to make the connection...
He is ex-RUC!
15-09-2019, 14:54   #7
Markcheese

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elite Woad Raider View Post
He is ex-RUC!
Yes, and PSNI after that..

He joined the ruc in 1983,

Last edited by Markcheese; 15-09-2019 at 15:01.
16-09-2019, 22:43   #8
whisky_galore

Quote:
He is ex-RUC!
So what?
He can't be much worse than the last encumbant.

He's supposed to uphold current laws of this state, not obsolete ones of the other jurisdiction.
Thanks from:
17-09-2019, 03:19   #9
BalcombeSt4

Quote:
Originally Posted by whisky_galore View Post
So what?
He can't be much worse than the last encumbant.

He's supposed to uphold current laws of this state, not obsolete ones of the other jurisdiction.
I think the OP might be concerned that he still might hold some personnel loyalty to the RUC. A bit like how in 1971 UDR soldiers still felt pissed off about the B-Specials being dismantled & helped to form the Glennane Gang in Tyrone & Armagh.

Maybe he'll form a murder gang in Limerick & Cork, and call it the Bantry Bangers.
Very unlikely but this is the state that perfected cronyism & has a history of corruption & collusion, Alan Harris was himself the third high ranking officer killed that year with ease by the IRA, after two Chief Superintendent's were killed & the Smithwick inquiry found nothing wrong in terms of collusion when it was pretty obvious the Provos got a tip. So extremely unlike but can't ruled it out because I would still be pissed at the state that did nothing about my father being killed.

Last edited by BalcombeSt4; 17-09-2019 at 03:30.
Advertisement
17-09-2019, 03:27   #10
NIMAN

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockatansky View Post
OP, during the 50s and 60s Northern Ireland was considered one of the most tolerant, equal and welcoming societies in the world to all races, creeds and nationalies.

Then out of thin air the Provisional IRA arrived and changed all that.
Stop trolling.

It might have been, as long as you weren't a Catholic born in the North.
17-09-2019, 09:16   #11
Peregrinus

Quote:
Originally Posted by NIMAN View Post
Stop trolling.

It might have been, as long as you weren't a Catholic born in the North.
I don't think he was intending trolling, but rather sarcasm.
(3) thanks from:
20-09-2019, 12:05   #12
Edgware

Quote:
He is ex-RUC!
So?
Mc Guinness sanctioned the kidnapping of Patsy Gillespie , tying a bomb to him and forcing him to drive it to a British Army checkpoint. Did that stop him from moving on after the ceasefire into the political arena? It works both ways.
p.s. McGuinness supported the P.S.NI.
Thanks from:
20-09-2019, 12:08   #13
Elite Woad Raider

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edgware View Post
So?
Mc Guinness sanctioned the kidnapping of Patsy Gillespie , tying a bomb to him and forcing him to drive it to a British Army checkpoint. Did that stop him from moving on after the ceasefire into the political arena? It works both ways.
p.s. McGuinness supported the P.S.NI.
So me being from the Republic, how does that equate to me supporting McGuinness?
20-09-2019, 21:23   #14
Edgware

Quote:
So me being from the Republic, how does that equate to me supporting McGuinness?
you can work that one out for yourself
21-09-2019, 12:32   #15
whisky_galore

Quote:
Originally Posted by BalcombeSt4 View Post
I think the OP might be concerned that he still might hold some personnel loyalty to the RUC. A bit like how in 1971 UDR soldiers still felt pissed off about the B-Specials being dismantled & helped to form the Glennane Gang in Tyrone & Armagh.

Maybe he'll form a murder gang in Limerick & Cork, and call it the Bantry Bangers.
Very unlikely but this is the state that perfected cronyism & has a history of corruption & collusion, Alan Harris was himself the third high ranking officer killed that year with ease by the IRA, after two Chief Superintendent's were killed & the Smithwick inquiry found nothing wrong in terms of collusion when it was pretty obvious the Provos got a tip. So extremely unlike but can't ruled it out because I would still be pissed at the state that did nothing about my father being killed.
The amount of non issues and crowbarring in this thread is beyond belief. Better suited to AH.

Quick Reply
Bold
Italic
Underline

Insert Image
Wrap [QUOTE] tags around selected text

Decrease Size
Increase Size
Please sign up or log in to join the discussion