Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Tall tales, urban legends and spoofers

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,107 ✭✭✭El Gato De Negocios

The traveller wan telling multiple blokes to "lob it into me boss"

• Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Muahahaha wrote: »
    yeah Ive a mate from Mayo and he thinks the whole team bus passing a funeral cortege and the priests curse thing is an urban myth. However he said his parents are quite religious and his dad genuinely believes that there is a curs. He has taken Mayos recent losses in All Ireland finals as proof of this and he genuinely believes they wont win one again until the two remaining team members from the 1951 winning team have passed away.

He was saying there would be a fair few people in the county who believe in it and he wonders has it effected members of the team who might believe it and then it become a self fulfilling prophecy as they believe they cant win because of this curse. Its mad stuff really

I think it has become a self fulfilling prophecy. However, there was no word of a curse in the late 50s, 60s and 70s when Mayo were usually mediocre or terrible. It only emerged when they starting making finals, but not being able to win them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

I wonder is there any truth to the "Glass Coffee Table" urban legend. It's the one where a certain popular deceased singer from Mullingar liked to visit a brothel in Leeson St Dublin. In the brothel he would lay under a clear glass coffee table looking upwards and jerking off while a rent boy would take a dump onto the table.

Noddy Holder from Slade did that (the one doing the poo)in Amsterdam for cash before he became famous.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 11,795 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Was expecting some sh1te to be talked on this thread, not so literally though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,465 ✭✭✭✭blade1

Was expecting some sh1te to be talked on this thread, not so literally though.
    Party Pooper! :mad:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,175 ✭✭✭littlevillage

joeguevara wrote: »
    It’s gas when an urban legen actually happens to you though. I remember walking down the street when a Mercedes A class stopped to ask for directions to Dublin airport. (Was in Carlow). After giving them he said he was in the rag trade and was exhibiting high quality leather jackets. Said he had remaining stock in his boot but couldn’t bring them on the flight due to excess baggage and did I want to take a look. Ended up buying what I thought was 4 Armani jackets for 200. There must be some spray which imitates leather. Thought I made the deal of the century. Only realised I was conned when I got back to the pub and had a closer look. The labels were all Amrani and obviously pleather. Disgusted with myself I tried to make light of it and told all the regulars the story and showed them. Imagine my surprise when one of them asked could he have one for his dads Christmas present for 250. If someone else told me I wouldn’t believe it.

This actually happened to me as well. Slightly different scenario, as the guy approached me when I was parking in a shopping center car park. But same MO, he was returning to London/Paris/Milan with samples.... and didn't want to bother squeezing them into his suitcase.

I didn't go anywhere near his car or engage with him at all, but reported him to Shopping center security, when I got inside. Turns out they had been monitoring him on CCTV and were about to call the gaurds.

Seen some other gangster try the same on various people in the same car park, a couple of years later, this time it was a set of steak knives.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,261 ✭✭✭Hangdogroad

I remember in the 80s hearing one in the schoolyard about an Irish UN peacekeeper captured by attractive female Israeli soldiers and made to have sex with them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,402 ✭✭✭✭Fr Tod Umptious

They know somebody who's relative was working in the twin towers in 2001 and on the morning of September 11th they were delayed and didn't make it into work.

I actually know a real person that happened to.
    She was late for work that day.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,485 ✭✭✭KevRossi

The 9/11 thing happened to Sarah Ferguson, she worked for some charity at the time and they had an actual office in the towers. She was due into work that day at some stage.

The Mayo team didn't pass a funeral in Foxford, a journalist with the Connacht Tribune checked the story out and no deaths or burials were recorded in the area at the time. Possibly happened somewhere.

Then there was a curse on the Clare team stating they would never win an All Ireland unless every player on the team was a bachelor. They didn't win it from 1913 to 1994 and that team had indeed no married men on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,362 ✭✭✭landofthetree

KevRossi wrote: »
    The 9/11 thing happened to Sarah Ferguson, she worked for some charity at the time and they had an actual office in the towers. She was due into work that day at some stage.

The Mayo team didn't pass a funeral in Foxford, a journalist with the Connacht Tribune checked the story out and no deaths or burials were recorded in the area at the time. Possibly happened somewhere.

Then there was a curse on the Clare team stating they would never win an All Ireland unless every player on the team was a bachelor. They didn't win it from 1913 to 1994 and that team had indeed no married men on it.

Cyril Lyons came on as a sub and I think he was married.

Also Biddy Early died before the GAA was formed.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,434 ✭✭✭Homelander

That actually does happen. I can name the work colleague that said it directly to me at lunch in our office in Minneapolis in 2006. Had another colleague's husband ask me "do you guys have cars in Ireland" once too. A lot of them really don't have a clue about Ireland, and why should they.

My friends aunt was visiting Ireland for the first time around 2006 and asked if she needed to bring toilet paper with her.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭Sgt Hartman

I remember hearing that the lads from Status Quo, when they were short of a few bob, would call into a neighbour’s flat and he’d pay them to “dump” on the glass table while he lay under it.

Chuck Berry apparently was a big fan of the auld scatology himself. When police raided his house they found quite a few home made videos where Chuclk would fart and defecate on hookers and have the same done to him. There's even an audio clip from one of the videos on YouTube where he leaves off an absolute ripper of a fart and goes to the hooker "smell that fart"

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,034 ✭✭✭Ficheall

gogo wrote: »
    Urban legend
    Everyone has a friend who bought a coffee and a donut in a cafe but as said cafe was packed they had to share a table with some guy, turnS out that guy started to eat the donut in front of her.. and she couldn’t say anything just sat there in shock as he continued to eat it. She eventually started to give out to him and picked up her coffee and stormed out... only to find her own donut in her pocket on the way home...
    I’ve heard this story so many times...
    This is from one of The Hitch-hiker's Guide to the Galaxy trilogy. Adams claims it first actually happened to him in real life, in the Salmon of Doubt. Except it's a packet of biscuits.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,904 ✭✭✭daheff

Panthro wrote: »
    Mary Lou McDonald is the daughter of Ronald.

I just made it up.

Ronald's less of a clown

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 14,320 CMod ✭✭✭✭The Master

Chuck Berry apparently was a big fan of the auld scatology himself. When police raided his house they found quite a few home made videos where Chuclk would fart and defecate on hookers and have the same done to him. There's even an audio clip from one of the videos on YouTube where he leaves off an absolute ripper of a fart and goes to the hooker "smell that fart"

The whole video can be watched online, it's something to behold

A personal highlight is when he urinates on the young lady's face,
    She attempts to kiss him a few seconds later and he responds
    "I can't kiss you baby , your face smells like piss"

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

This actually happened to me as well. Slightly different scenario, as the guy approached me when I was parking in a shopping center car park. But same MO, he was returning to London/Paris/Milan with samples.... and didn't want to bother squeezing them into his suitcase.

I didn't go anywhere near his car or engage with him at all, but reported him to Shopping center security, when I got inside. Turns out they had been monitoring him on CCTV and were about to call the gaurds.

Seen some other gangster try the same on various people in the same car park, a couple of years later, this time it was a set of steak knives.

Ah yeah it's too common to be a myth.

Similarly lads pulling up in a car to sell you a laptop. Had that happen to me on the South Circular Road before.

Obviously a scam. Saw it made the papers in Galway a few years back. People moaning that they ended up with laptop shells with a Phone Directory inside. No sympathy myself. At that price they had to know they were buying somethign that could only be stolen.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,688 ✭✭✭✭Muahahaha

I actually know a real person that happened to.
    She was late for work that day.

It happened a few celebs too, Mark Whalberg had a ticket for one of the 9/11 planes but didnt take the flight, instead at the last minute he had a spontaneous idea and chartered a private plane with friends and they all went to a film festival in Toronto.

Seth McFarlane was also due to be on one of the 911 flights, he was hungover and got to the airport to be told the gate was closed and he had missed his flight. He's said there was another passenger there who also missed it and they booked on the next one but while waiting in the lounge they saw the flight they were supposed to be on fly into the second tower live on tv.

It was also claimed years later that Michael Jackson was due at a meeting near the top floors of one of the twin towers but he was up late the night before and slept in and missed it. Michael never said anything about it at the time or before his death, instead his brother Jermaine claimed it happened in a book he wrote years later. Im not sure that one is true, it sounds more like a ruse to get publicity for the book sales.

That weird one about Daniel O Donnel being his sister Margos son.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,697 ✭✭✭ciaran76

Another one I heard a few versions of is of school tours stealing a penguin from Dublin zoo.
    Heard it was a 6/7/8/12/14 years old.

Heard it again last year from my nephew as he was convinced it happened to the 2nd years in his school !

Basically its a school tour of and one the kids take a penguin. The kids are told go draw an animal so they have time on their own or some reason to be on their own and they take the penguin then.

When he gets home, the boy goes straight upstairs to have a bath. All of a sudden, a very strange, disturbing noise comes from the bathroom. A parent charge upstairs, burst through the door to be confronted by 14 year old son and… a penguin.

He caught a penguin, put it in his backpack and brought it home

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That weird one about Daniel O Donnel being his sister Margos son.

such a thing was not unheard of back then though in this case the age difference is a little small though not impossible.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,420 ✭✭✭Lollipops23

such a thing was not unheard of back then though in this case the age difference is a little small though not impossible.

She's only 10 years older than him!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,513 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

She's only 10 years older than him!

like i said the age difference is a little small but not impossible.

• Registered Users Posts: 415 ✭✭SlowMotion321

Pre internet: Chain letters! If you don't send this on to five other people then (insert something horrible) will happen to you! Tore up more than one of these for gullible friends who were afraid to back in the day!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,849 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Someone did steal a penguin a few years ago.

It was in the news

Earthhorse wrote: »
    I once heard tale of a boards thread that stayed on topic.

and if you believe that I have a bridge you might be interested in buying!

Pre internet: Chain letters! If you don't send this on to five other people then (insert something horrible) will happen to you! Tore up more than one of these for gullible friends who were afraid to back in the day!

I got one or two of them. Did likewise. One said something to the effect of Joe Elliott of Def Leppard didn't send this on and lost out on a big lotto win or something like that.

I got one or two of them. Did likewise. One said something to the effect of Joe Elliott of Def Leppard didn't send this on and lost out on a big lotto win or something like that.

I heard he said he'd give his left arm for a million quid! :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,409 ✭✭✭corner of hells

and if you believe that I have a bridge you might be interested in buying!

Can you deliver ?

Can you deliver ?

I have a couple of bricks here if you have the deposit!

Edit: as an aside Richard Harris (actor) once told a story in an interview about how when on a bender he stole a truck to get home, when he got stuck under a bridge and was confronted by police his reply was "Where do you want this bridge delivered?"

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,230 ✭✭✭MOR316

It happened a few celebs too, Mark Whalberg had a ticket for one of the 9/11 planes but didnt take the flight, instead at the last minute he had a spontaneous idea and chartered a private plane with friends and they all went to a film festival in Toronto.

Seth McFarlane was also due to be on one of the 911 flights, he was hungover and got to the airport to be told the gate was closed and he had missed his flight. He's said there was another passenger there who also missed it and they booked on the next one but while waiting in the lounge they saw the flight they were supposed to be on fly into the second tower live on tv.

It was also claimed years later that Michael Jackson was due at a meeting near the top floors of one of the twin towers but he was up late the night before and slept in and missed it. Michael never said anything about it at the time or before his death, instead his brother Jermaine claimed it happened in a book he wrote years later. Im not sure that one is true, it sounds more like a ruse to get publicity for the book sales.

Nah, that is true
    Meeting was set up by his friend for something (think it was jewellery I read somewhere?) He was after performing in MSG the night before, was going through another painkiller addiction and apparently was upset/depressed so he just sacked it off

"The good lads in the IRA did an expert job blowing up Nelson's Pillar without damaging anything else but dem eejits in the army wrecked half of O'Connell Street blowing up the stump".

A staple of barstool experts and assorted morons around Dublin for generations, this tall tale was utter bollix. Over 4 times the value of claims were made for damage from the first blast than for the second one, despite the second one being significantly more challenging.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/a-colonel-writes--26409601.html

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,951 ✭✭✭6541

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    "The good lads in the IRA did an expert job blowing up Nelson's Pillar without damaging anything else but dem eejits in the army wrecked half of O'Connell Street blowing up the stump".

A staple of barstool experts and assorted morons around Dublin for generations, this tall tale was utter bollix. Over 4 times the value of claims were made for damage from the first blast than for the second one, despite the second one being significantly more challenging.

https://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/a-colonel-writes--26409601.html

That is brilliant.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,876 ✭✭✭Borzoi

They know somebody who's relative was working in the twin towers in 2001 and on the morning of September 11th they were delayed and didn't make it into work.

With thousands working in the buildings it would be no surprise.

Including my first cousin who's office was in the towers but on that morning had an appointment uptown, so missed it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,608 ✭✭✭worded

a woman has a pet snake that lies on her bed, the snake lies lengthways beside her.
    The woman assumes this is affection and casually mentions it to her vet. Her panic-stricken vet explains that the snake is checking whether she is long enough to swallow the woman whole.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

worded wrote: »
    a woman has a pet snake that lies on her bed, the snake lies lengthways beside her.
    The woman assumes this is affection and casually mentions it to her vet. Her panic-stricken vet explains that the snake is checking whether she is long enough to swallow the woman whole.

Isn't that true? Shirley in the wild, an animal would lie still while a snake sizes it up for it's dinner.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,382 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

ciaran76 wrote: »
    Another one I heard a few versions of is of school tours stealing a penguin from Dublin zoo.
    Heard it was a 6/7/8/12/14 years old.

Heard it again last year from my nephew as he was convinced it happened to the 2nd years in his school !

Basically its a school tour of and one the kids take a penguin. The kids are told go draw an animal so they have time on their own or some reason to be on their own and they take the penguin then.

When he gets home, the boy goes straight upstairs to have a bath. All of a sudden, a very strange, disturbing noise comes from the bathroom. A parent charge upstairs, burst through the door to be confronted by 14 year old son and… a penguin.

He caught a penguin, put it in his backpack and brought it home
    Someone did steal a penguin a few years ago.

It was in the news

https://www.irishtimes.com/news/penguin-stolen-from-dublin-zoo-1.860705
    A penguin was found on the street in Dublin today after being stolen from the zoo in a suspected prank.

The female penguin was kidnapped by a gang of men at about 8am from the Phoenix Park and discovered several hours later a few miles away in the north inner city.

It is believe the men broke in to the zoo before carrying her out and making off in a taxi.

The penguin at the centre of the kidnap ordeal was a 10-year-old female called Kelli. She is a Humboldt, a small breed native to parts of South America, mainly Chile. It is understood the penguin was tracked through a microchip, fitted to all animals in the zoo.

Gardaí were alerted to the theft this morning.

In a statement, Dublin Zoo described the theft as an annoyance and “not amusing”.

“Dublin Zoo confirms that a penguin which had been missing has been returned,” a zoo official said.

“The penguin went missing this morning at 8am but due to the security measures that are in place at Dublin Zoo and the rapid response of gardaí, the penguin was soon recovered and returned.

“Dublin Zoo was naturally relieved that the animal was returned safe and unharmed and back at the zoo. We wish to underline our annoyance at this incident.

“The welfare and health of all animals is our primary concern and this kind of incident is not frivolous and certainly not something amusing.”

Zoo staff thanked the gardaí for their help in tracing the stolen animal and said she was none the worse for her outing after being safely returned to her enclosure.

There were no reports of any damage to zoo property.

Needlessly distressing some poor defenceless animal because it's "hilarious". Absolute scumbags.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

John Lydon aka Johnny Rotten was booked on Pan Am flight 103 which exploded over Lockerbie. His wife took ages to get ready and they missed the flight...

Scrap the cap!

The one about Charles Manson auditioning for the Monkees is one that still does the rounds. He was in jail at the time for something minor (pre murders)

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,474 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

You know that screen saver that shows your pictures as a slideshow ?

Pastor's personal laptop.

8,000 seater megachurch with huge video displays.

Porn.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,904 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Ipso wrote: »
    Isn't that true? Shirley in the wild, an animal would lie still while a snake sizes it up for it's dinner.

Perhaps but don't call me Shirley.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,492 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

You know that screen saver that shows your pictures as a slideshow ?

Pastor's personal laptop.

8,000 seater megachurch with huge video displays.

Porn.

It happened.

https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=77934342

Scrap the cap!

Advertisement