Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tall tales, urban legends and spoofers

Options
  • 14-08-2020 12:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭

Inspired by something I read on another thread. What are the biggest tales, urban legends or spoofers you've heard of / known?

Urban Legend:
    One that I heard dozens of times was the African woman leaving the buggy at the bus stop because the bus was full and she could easily get another one off the social welfare. Found taxi drivers to be the most to spread this. So much so that after I heard one to many times I said it was all garbage to one certain taxi driver. To which he sworn blindly it genuinely happened to 'his mate' :pac:
    You don't hear it much these days tho.

Spoofers:
    Worked with a guy a couple of years ago and the amount of lies out of him was something else :p
    They were all lifted from TV shows or movies. Usually sitcoms tho. The one that made me cop on early enough was directly lifted from Only fools and horses. A lot of "well this happened to my mate one time" - yeah your mate wouldn't be del boy would he? Lol.

Misc:
    I have to add that any lazy git I've met over the years have all had bad backs :pac:

Care to add?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,457 ✭✭✭✭Leg End Reject

A child goes missing in the supermarket, they're found in the toilets where someone is changing their clothes and cutting their hair. The kidnapper invariably drives a white van.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

Something about a dog, a birthday and Pedigree Chum.

Earthhorse wrote: »
    Something about a dog, a birthday and Pedigree Chum.

And lady parts!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Inspired by something I read on another thread. What are the biggest tales, urban legends or spoofers you've heard of / known?

Urban Legend:
    One that I heard dozens of times was the African woman leaving the buggy at the bus stop because the bus was full and she could easily get another one off the social welfare. Found taxi drivers to be the most to spread this. So much so that after I heard one to many times I said it was all garbage to one certain taxi driver. To which he sworn blindly it genuinely happened to 'his mate' :pac:
    You don't hear it much these days tho.

Would you believe I worked in a social welfare office one Summer in college and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that certain groups were getting.

One woman from Africa was in one day, she had no English supposedly, a translator was there for her. Turns out she had 8 kids and wasn't long in the country, no father on the scene.
    We worked out that she would be getting over 3k a month from various sources such as her payment, children's benefit, rent allowance, fuel allowance, single mother, there was other stuff but I wouldn't have believed it only for I was there.

On a Thursday each week there was someone there for emergencies, if you were badly stuck you'd get money. Same people in each week, needed money for "nappies, buggies, child seats" etc etc.

If people actually knew half the crap that is given out there'd be uproar.

So some truth to that story above wouldn't surprise me in the least.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,566 ✭✭✭Treppen

Friend in the CIA (or a Muslim) says there is going to be an incident in the city this weekend so avoid going in.

There's a funny version of this on Curb your enthusiasm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,179 ✭✭✭✭B.A._Baracus

unhappys10 wrote: »
    Would you believe I worked in a social welfare office one Summer in college and you wouldn't believe some of the stuff that certain groups were getting.

One woman from Africa was in one day, she had no English supposedly, a translator was there for her. Turns out she had 8 kids and wasn't long in the country, no father on the scene.
    We worked out that she would be getting over 3k a month from various sources such as her payment, children's benefit, rent allowance, fuel allowance, single mother, there was other stuff but I wouldn't have believed it only for I was there.

On a Thursday each week there was someone there for emergencies, if you were badly stuck you'd get money. Same people in each week, needed money for "nappies, buggies, child seats" etc etc.

If people actually knew half the crap that is given out there'd be uproar.

So some truth to that story above wouldn't surprise me in the least.

Ah I know what you are saying. The stuff that goes on is unreal. A lot of people live in their bubble and cannot believe Shi* like that happens.

With the whole African buggy thing tho... I've lost count how many times I've heard it. All originating from a friend, or a friend of a friend, or nephew, niece etc. If it was a true story there would had to of been 10 thousand people waiting for a bus at that bus stop :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,929 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

Not sure if you're referring to me or not in the other thread (a couple of other posters directly accused me of spoofing), but anyway, it's the internet and all we have is anecdotes that we can take or leave.

I had a mate in my teens who would regularly just make up stories for no good reason. Not even to impress, just random things that came into his head that weren't true. He started going out with a girl, and for some reason he casually told her that his father was dead (he was very much alive). She immediately responded with "Oh, so is mine!". For months, he was pretending that his dad was dead, and he pleaded with us not to let on that he wasn't. She called down to his house one day, and his dad answered the door. When confronted about it, he claimed that it was actually his uncle. Eventually the web of lies got too much, and he had to admit to her that his dad wasn't dead at all. She took it surprisingly well, and we all have a good laugh about it after.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,277 ✭✭✭Your Face

The one where there is someone living in the attic for years unbeknownst to the homeowners.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,487 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

Larry Murphy has been resident in every town and village in the country at this stage if you believed idiots on Facebook

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

Your Face wrote: »
    The one where there is someone living in the attic for years unbeknownst to the homeowners.

?width=630&version=774075

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Wrong hole woman.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,092 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

One more rural legend I used to hear quite a bit when I went fishing all over Ireland(and some beyond) with my dad when I was a kid and later on was that were was often some local lake that was considered "bottomless"(or a layer of mud at the bottom that would drag you down) and full of huge eels, often with a side story of divers went in there once y'know and the size of the eels they saw frightened them. Sometimes eels were replaced by giant pike. Haunted fields were another one. Often attached to the Famine in the narrative.

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 692 ✭✭✭unhappys10

Wibbs wrote: »
    One more rural legend I used to hear quite a bit when I went fishing all over Ireland(and some beyond) with my dad when I was a kid and later on was that were was often some local lake that was considered "bottomless"(or a layer of mud at the bottom that would drag you down) and full of huge eels, often with a side story of divers went in there once y'know and the size of the eels they saw frightened them. Sometimes eels were replaced by giant pike. Haunted fields were another one. Often attached to the Famine in the narrative.

Yeh there's a bottomless pond 5 mins from where I grew up :D

I'm sure I've posted this before - a woman has a pet snake that lies on her bed, the snake lies lengthways beside her.

The woman assumes this is affection and casually mentions it to her vet. Her panic-stricken vet explains that the snake is checking whether he/she is long enough to swallow the woman whole.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,378 ✭✭✭Duffy the Vampire Slayer

Bono and Bruce Springsteen in the restaurant.

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,976 Mod ✭✭✭✭Say Your Number

Bono and Bruce Springsteen in the restaurant.

Didn't that originate on this site?

There's one that if you meet a badger he'll bite your leg until he hears a snap and breaking a twig can get him to leave, I met a badger on a country road a while ago and it ran into the ditch when it saw me.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 Greta_Funberg

The American tourist commenting on the "athletes" wearing tracksuits, when they came to Dublin.

The American tourist commenting on how "lucky" it was that <castle> was built next to a road, when visiting <castle>.

The American tourist believing utterly a story about leprechauns told by a "legend" who relays the story of it all, to the pub. He's usually in said pub at opening time and is drunk at least twice a day. Nobody's sure where he works in the time to spin yarn for yanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The one where the woman goes to Amsterdam for a weekend and has a fling with a bloke. She was supposed to meet him on the last night of her holiday but couldn't make it.

When she gets home she developes a rash on her lips (mouth/vagina depending on the storyteller). The doctor tells her it's something you get from touching rotting corpses and she realises her fling in Amsterdam was murdering women and having sex with the corpses, and if she had gone on the date on her last night...

• Registered Users Posts: 20,004 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Also the game of darts was invented by the Earl of Dartmouth (nod to James O'Brien for inventing that fact)

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

I love the one about having a pet snake and at the vet the person said 'im really worried as they haven't eaten in weeks but it is adorable as every night it will slither up and lie out straight beside me' and the vet replies 'they are measuring you up to eat you'.

Just realised Leg End Reject had just posted this exact same one.

• Advertisement

There was a rich libertarian with a young trophy wife across the pond, he relocated to Frankfurt and started bemoaning the lack of sartorial elegance among townies in Ireland. The dream sequence is still ongoing, unfortunately he wakes up obese and middle-aged in a dilapidated halfway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

Jimi Hendrix being asked how it feels to be the best guitarist in the world and answering "I don't know, you'll have to ask Rory Gallagher".

I think I was hearing this one before the Internet was a big thing too, as if it spread by pure word of mouth, usually from someone's big brother who played the guitar and smoked too much hash.

In a similar vein; "Prince getting his lower ribs removed to give himself blowies" sometimes with Marilyn Manson substituted for Prince.

I'd say half the country has been congratulated on the quality of their English when they went to the States by now. I've even heard that one on the TV (I think someone spoofing on the late-late).

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭joeguevara

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    Jimi Hendrix being asked how it feels to be the best guitarist in the world and answering "I don't know, you'll have to ask Rory Gallagher".

Zidane was asked 'what is it like to be the best midfielder in the world' and responded 'you should ask paul scholes'. That did happen and not an urban legend.

The "man hides in the back seat of a woman's car while she's in paying for petrol. Then he jumps out and attacks her as she's driving along" urban legend.

Until it actually happened: https://www.kiro7.com/news/screaming-woman-scares-away-man-hiding-back-seat/81835845/

and again: https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay-city/2018/12/man-hides-in-womans-vehicle-at-gas-station-then-assaults-her-police-say.html

• Registered Users Posts: 3,194 ✭✭✭foxy farmer

On the subject of eels I was witness to a full-blown argument one day between a distant cousin of mine and his relations about eels and how they are related to horses.!!
    I had been cleaning drains on the farm and had come across an amount of eels. He said that eels could always be found anywhere horses had been common.
    He spun this yarn about pulling a hair from a horses mane taking it to a stream and carefully putting a stone down on the hair in the running water. After a number of days(can't remember how long) when he came back there was an eel pinned under the very same stone wriggling to get free. We laughed. He got highly insulted. Things got heated.
    I remembered from national school learning about the life cycle of the eel. They spawned out in the Sargasso Sea off the coast of florida they grew and headed for Europe and freshwater. After a spell they left the freshwater and returned to the Sargasso sea to spawn and die. Yer man was having none of it. Sure isn't the root of a horse hair the same shape as the head of an eel he said. He got up an walked out. We were shocked that someone could believe something so ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,714 ✭✭✭✭Earthhorse

There's the one about the pet vet whose snake lets him out for the night to go on a date. The vet reports that the date went well; the woman was beautiful, charming and the same height as him in heels.

The snake tells him, "She was just checking you out to see if you are marriage material".

:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭CrankyHaus

The "man hides in the back seat of a woman's car while she's in paying for petrol. Then he jumps out and attacks her as she's driving along" urban legend.

Until it actually happened: https://www.kiro7.com/news/screaming-woman-scares-away-man-hiding-back-seat/81835845/

and again: https://www.mlive.com/news/saginaw-bay-city/2018/12/man-hides-in-womans-vehicle-at-gas-station-then-assaults-her-police-say.html

TBF this is a known method of attackers. A friend worked in a criminal mental hopsital and when some dangerous insane criminal on day release didn't come back on time (surprise, surprise) the intercom kept repeating warnings to everyone to check the back seat of the car before driving home at the end their shift.

CrankyHaus wrote: »
    I'd say half the country has been congratulated on the quality of their English when they went to the States by now. I've even heard that one on the TV (I think someone spoofing on the late-late).

That actually does happen. I can name the work colleague that said it directly to me at lunch in our office in Minneapolis in 2006. Had another colleague's husband ask me "do you guys have cars in Ireland" once too. A lot of them really don't have a clue about Ireland, and why should they.

On the other side of the coin, while driving a group of Americans between Ennis and Shannon one day, I told them the (true) story about the "fairy tree" in Latoon near Domolonand Castle) that the M18 motorway had to be slightly diverted to avoid cutting it down, as locals (aided by a "folklorist)" claimed doing so would curse the motorway and people would die. (obviously the curse is not true, but the fact that the claim was made and the motorway altered because of it is).

They didn't believe me that this actually occurred, so I'm probably the butt of a few American's stories of the Paddy that tried to spoof them and how they didn't fall for it.

The one where the woman goes to Amsterdam for a weekend and has a fling with a bloke. She was supposed to meet him on the last night of her holiday but couldn't make it.

When she gets home she developes a rash on her lips (mouth/vagina depending on the storyteller). The doctor tells her it's something you get from touching rotting corpses and she realises her fling in Amsterdam was murdering women and having sex with the corpses, and if she had gone on the date on her last night...

There's another version where the guy works in a morgue.

• Advertisement

That actually does happen. I can name the work colleague that said it directly to me at lunch in our office in Minneapolis in 2006. Had another colleague's husband ask me "do you guys have cars in Ireland" once too. A lot of them really don't have a clue about Ireland, and why should they.

Well, they should be aware that every country in the world has cars at this point.

Advertisement