Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Car insurance - new driver, car over 15 yrs - help :)

Options
  • 11-08-2020 6:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2

Hi, looking for some advice.
    I am a driver with 9 years no claims bonus and I recently upgraded my car. I had a brilliant idea that my husband (who has only booked his theory test) could learn to drive in my old car - 04 Nissan Micra.
    Unfortunately I didnt think too far ahead to the actual costs involved in a new driver insuring an old car. He got a quick quote for €4k.... which is crazy.
    I rang my insurance company for advice today but I am more confused... they told me I cant add him as a named driver to my policy as Im with Zurich and they wont allow this until all his lessons are complete but said he could add me as a named driver on his policy so my no claims bonus could lower it?
    But im confused...how can you use your no claims bonus on 2 cars? Or did they actually just mean for him to not use the old car & become the main driver on my new car instead?

Ideally I would like to keep the 2 cars while I am wfh. So any tips/advice is appreciated.

Thanks
    Nicola

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭AnRothar

They are refusing to add him to your policy as he currently has a learners permit but has not completed the mandatory number of lessons required?
    There may be a clause in your insurance policy which has excluded absolute novice drivers.
    Thus permitting a lower quote?
    You would need to read your policy document carefully.

Regarding having you as a named driver on their policy leading to a reduction in premium is common enough.
    Simply put should you be driving the car and something happen then your insurance might be on the hook too.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,327 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

NRicer69 wrote: »
    I rang my insurance company for advice today but I am more confused... ..... (they) said he could add me as a named driver on his policy so my no claims bonus could lower it?
    But im confused...how can you use your no claims bonus on 2 cars? Or did they actually just mean for him to not use the old car & become the main driver on my new car instead?

Tecnically you wouldn't be using your NCB on his policy, he would still have to fork out a large premium. But with your good driving record, putting you as a named driver on the policy would reduce his premium. Because it means that he wouldn't be the only person driving that car. Insurance companies like it when there's an experienced person as a named driver because it reduces the risk of the learner taking a chance and driving after a couple of glasses of wine.

AnRothar wrote: »
    There may be a clause in your insurance policy which has excluded absolute novice drivers.
    Thus permitting a lower quote?
    You would need to read your policy document carefully.

There's no need to read the policy. OP's husband doesn't have a full licence and is not a named driver on her policy so he is not covered to drive under her policy. That applies in every case.

• Registered Users Posts: 688 ✭✭✭hurikane

coylemj wrote: »
    Insurance companies like it when there's an experienced person as a named driver because it reduces the risk of the learner taking a chance and driving after a couple of glasses of wine.

:D:D:D:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2 NRicer69

Thanks all. Yes, it seems as though Zurich anyway wont allow drivers to be named drivers until they have completed all their lessons, however I can switch insurance companies and then he can be a named driver. I received a quote and really wasn’t that much more so I feel like I will be going with this option - although it just means 1 car which isnt what I originally wanted but hey....

I did also get a quote for me as a named driver on his policy for the old car, it did bring it down to €3k in fairness but just not worth it. Be 3 times the value of the car itself. So I will probably just get rid of the old car now. Annoying as I just recently had it serviced and booked for nct thinking he would soon be using it... but my fault for not appreciating the cost of insurance for him.

• Advertisement

There's no need to read the policy. OP's husband doesn't have a full licence and is not a named driver on her policy so he is not covered to drive under her policy. That applies in every case.

Yes, but per the op they will not permit her to add him as a named driver on her policy due to the fact the that he has not completed the mandated number of lessons.
    they told me I cant add him as a named driver to my policy as Im with Zurich and they wont allow this until all his lessons are complete

• Registered Users Posts: 13,687 ✭✭✭✭wonski

Try the trick of insuring 04 in your own name and your new upgraded car in your husbands name. Add both of you as named drivers on each other policy.

It is general rule to insure higher risk driver with lower risk car in family.

Perfectly legal, too in normal circumstances with both wife and the husband being owners of both cars.

Yes, but per the op they will not permit her to add him as a named driver on her policy due to the fact the that he has not completed the mandated number of lessons.

And you told her (in post #2) to read her policy. Which would be a waste of time because who you can and cannnot add to the policy as named drivers is not part of your contract of insurance so there will be nothing about it in the policy document.

And you told her (in post #2) to read her policy. Which would be a waste of time because who you can and cannnot add to the policy as named drivers is not part of your contract of insurance so there will be nothing about it in the policy document.

That's good to know.
    I assumed that it should be in the actual policy document.
    Only recently realising how important it is to read proposal and policy documents, not just the sheet they send out.

Only recently realising how important it is to read proposal and policy documents, not just the sheet they send out.

+1 The policy document in force on the day you renew plus the schedule and cert. they send you after each renewal taken together outline your contract of insurance.

Policy documents change with new Ts & Cs so I always download the version on the day I renew because that will apply to me for the following 12 months. Axa keeps a backlog of about 13 previous versions on their website, no other company that I can see does.

• Advertisement
Advertisement