Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Neighbor complaining about my instrument-part 2

• 23-07-2020 11:50am
    Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭

Hey all,

A while back I posted about my neighbor living below my complaining about my harp playing, saying that it really bothered her. She would come to my door to complain and nothing short of my not playing altogether would make her happy.

Trying to settle the argument, I've had the floors in the house insulated with a special type of foam to reduce/erase the sound and the vibrations coming from the harp. I e-mailed the letting agent to inform them of the dispute and if putting in the insulation was okay, and they told me to go ahead and that it had to be a reduction of at least -10Db, so that's what I've used.

I've also adjusted my schedule to playing during the daytime instead of the evening. I usually work between 15:00-2300, so would play before leaving, that way trying to ensure there are fewer people home at that time.

Still, she comes up frequently to complain and at this point I feel like I've tried everything. I've insulated my floor, costing nearly a grand in materials, I've adjusted my schedule, I still put the harp on a thick mat while playing. I've also sought legal advise and they basically said that if I play during daytime she really has no right to complain at all, but this obviously can't go on, but I'm at a loss of what to do next.

I can't move, as rentals are very scarce in this area and would be much, much more expensive than what I'm currently renting. I've checked with the neighbors left and right, they told me they can hear some of what I'm playing, but are not bothered (I have not insulated my walls, just the floor, so they are probably hearing more) and have received no other complaints from other residents.

Harps cannot be fitted with dampers unfortunately, so that's not an option. I practice 45 minutes a day if I can (no more than 5 times a week) depending on schedule and I feel that this is not excessive and I do need the practice. Does anyone know what else I can do?

Comments

45 mins, in the afternoon, and youve carried out work to do what you can?

im a narky type of neighbour meself tbh but id tell her not to call to your door again next time she calls around. tell her you're not interested, she can take the complaint where she likes.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,650 ✭✭✭✭ted1

Just ignore them. Tell them you’ll report them for harassment if they don’t leave you alone

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,426 ✭✭✭wirelessdude01

You've been more than reasonable. Tell them to take their complaint elsewhere the next time they come a knocking.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,099 ✭✭✭RealJohn

Maybe not the right approach, but given that you’ve made every effort to appease them, I’d say that your next step should be to ask exactly what they want you to do that will allow you to practice for 45 minutes to an hour a day. Remind them that you’re doing nothing wrong, and that you’re entitled to play an instrument during the day, in your own home. Finally, tell them that if they can’t come up with a reasonable solution, you’re not going to put yourself out for them at all, and you’ll practice whenever you like for as long as you like, and you might even get a yappy dog, to accompany you.
    (You could leave out the last part, I suppose.)

• Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,947 Mod ✭✭✭✭Neyite

Sometimes when you give an inch they take a mile.

You've done all you can. You've insulated correctly, you practice at a convenient time, you've checked that you aren't breaking any laws. And it's the harp ffs. It's not like you are playing the bagpipes.

Next time they come complaining I'd suggest that you just shrug and say "report it if you have a problem" and swiftly shut the door in their face. Be assertive and don't be apologetic any more.

Let them report you to whoever they think will care. If they want zero noise then they should go live on an island.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 190 ✭✭Febreeze

Is it possible to not answer the door to them? Have you one of those peepers on your door, if so, ignore her.

You've done all you can. 45 mins a day for 5 days, at a reasonable hour, insulated floors. Honestly it sounds like she's just bored in her home and wants an argument at this rate.

You've let your agent know. Your other neighbours seem to be okay with it. So fuuk them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,252 ✭✭✭Kalimah

I think you have been more than reasonable and I don't think you could do anymore. Time to ignore her now.

On another note i'd love to live beside you- my absolute favourite music is harp music!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,840 ✭✭✭✭Dtp1979

Tell them to F off and get a job. That way when they arrive home from work you’ll have your practice done and be in work

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,124 ✭✭✭coolbeans

Dtp1979 wrote: »
    Tell them to F off and get a job. That way when they arrive home from work you’ll have your practice done and be in work

Tell her to jog on.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 16,698 Mod ✭✭✭✭Silverfish

She should come stay with me for a week, with my neighbour and his surround sound speakers mounted on the shared wall, that vibrate my whole house! She'd beg to go back to the harp.

You've done all you can do, people really can't expect to live in silence any more with modern housing. Just pretend you can't hear her knocking over the noise of your harp.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Are we talking a full sized concert harp here? The resonance of that through wooden floors in an apartment would be colossal.

That said, you've put in insulation and restricted your playing to a certain time in the afternoon - in short you've done all you reasonably can do. You're not breaking any laws, tell here to stop harassing you.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,172 ✭✭✭cannotlogin

Every single part of this situation falls in your favour:-

1. It's really a non issue - if 45 mins of harp playing is her biggest issue with her neighbours she's doing well.
    2. You listened to her complaint
    3. You have taken action and incurred expense to placate her
    4. Management Company are satisfied

I'd simply tell her that she can report you to whoever she wants but if she continues to harass you, you will have no option put to take action.

Her troubles are little ones, you'll given her more than enough thought, time and consideration.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Insulate the door.

I'm serious. I'd find a way to damp *her* out, you live in an apartment so I'd assume she's probably the only person who ever knocks on your door.

I remember the first thread, she just sounds like an arseh*le to be honest, if it wasn't this it would probably be something else.

Tell her to leave you alone and ignore her. If she was going to "report" you to anyone else she would have done it by now - and probably has and got no joy.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

Tell her to stop harping on about it.

• Registered Users Posts: 807 ✭✭✭Jenneke87

Are we talking a full sized concert harp here? The resonance of that through wooden floors in an apartment would be colossal.

That said, you've put in insulation and restricted your playing to a certain time in the afternoon - in short you've done all you reasonably can do. You're not breaking any laws, tell here to stop harassing you.

I have a lever harp and a single action pedal harp, which is the concert harps little sister so to say. I honestly do not know if the single pedal harp is equal in how much vibration in causes compared to a concert harp. I also do not have a woorden floor. I don't know what it's called in English, it looks like wood but it's really just compressed paper/cardboard.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭StinkyMunkey

Change your door buzzer to a harp sound and keep playing as she buzzes the door, that may get the message across.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

Yes, I agree with the others. You've been more than reasonable. Ignore this neighbour, or tell her to go swing.

I'd have done the latter a long time ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 27,253 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

Can you get the harp off the floor and onto something that will absorb the vibrations?
    It would be interesting to record your play and the play it back and see if that causes and issue. Then you know it's the vibration and not the noise.
    Suspending the harp or sitting it on a cushion should help.

• Registered Users Posts: 200 ✭✭Sheog

Next time she calls to complain, give her a set of ear plugs and tell her to f*off!

Totally unreasonable woman... you should start playing death metal on full volume at 3am and see how she likes that!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,022 Mod ✭✭✭✭wiggle16

Mod:

As it's been a few weeks since the OP's last post I am going to lock this thread.

Thanks all who posted.

Thread locked

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement