Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isn’t that a lovely farm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cattlepen wrote: »
    Thanks for the honesty. I am of the same opinion as yourself with the exception that I do think it will come again but it could take a decade or possibly two. Very hard to wait that long. I too gave it a good go but got cynical with it all.
    You used to shear sheep though and in my book that make you one hardy buck. The toughest work known to man IMO. Back then I’d say you would have taken it for nothing and relished it. Youth is a marvellous thing

Yea, You're right and I suppose it was my greed in the eighties and nineties that left the last 20 years so easy, but it wasn't good planning, who would've seen the way that the entitlement scenario went, you couldn't make it up really.
    None of the farming enterprises were worth the bother on their own, they were just kept for the subsidies. subsidies made them profitable.
    At least with the shearing you were getting a days pay and you could works at it days and hours that you had nothing else to do

• Closed Accounts Posts: 92 ✭✭ShedTower

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Yeah. And leave it idle. Let it back to nature and wildlife.

In a few years I think we'll see the government under some pressure to do exactly that when land like this becomes available.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I think in a few years, the experts will realise that grazing cattle (like we have being doing for ten thousands of years) is actually very good for soil health and our whole human existence , as a whole.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,150 ✭✭✭Dinzee Conlee

I think in a few years, the experts will realise that grazing cattle (like we have being doing for ten thousands of years) is actually very good for soil health and our whole human existence , as a whole.

Yep, and the government or some middle man will reap the benefits in carbon rebates of some kind and we’ll still get a ****e price for our produce :(

• Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

You are right.
    However we are a very small cog in a very big commodity market.
    What do we as farmers expect. ? Handouts? Lots of people think we are getting plenty of these already
    We have no union. Why ? Some of us are too busy working to get involved in any movements, and some of those that do are only out for themselves. I am just too cynical to get involved although I am am ICSA member.
    Can we influence the market? Of course we can but itll cost a lot of money!!. Who wants to start !!
    My point is,( although you will probably be proven right), there is no point in complaining when we ( as a group) do very little to control our destiny outside our farm gates.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 67 ✭✭curiousinvestor

I hope I didnt ruin this thread !!!
    I was enjoying ti.
    I played the euromillions last night, I was convinced I'd win it 😂😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

I wouldn't think so. It's always that tidy. In fact you'd regularly see the old man collecting any rubbish along the roads in the area.

That's exactly the type of owner I envisaged when I saw the video of the farm in the second post in this thread.

I wonder will it be extra emotional for him to let it go or just a relief.

Whatever he does I hope he lives long enough to enjoy some kind of relaxed retirement, the place is a credit to him.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,485 ✭✭✭Keepgrowing

theguzman wrote: »
    The Government smiling on this one with €600k stamp duty if it makes €10 million.

Whoever will pay the €10m+ for it honestly is a fool, his sons sons or grandsons won't make a penny back on it for years, less so if it is debt funded. €10m into houses and apartments in Dublin will yield 5% to 7% annually in rental income and you would never need to lift a finger only appoint a rental management company. Only an ego driven bull mccabe type mentality would buy this especially considering the spectacular speed the economy is totally collapsing. The owners are smart to sell this now and could probably buy it back in 10-12 years time for much less than they will get this year. Once the Mercosur deal is finalised which it will then holdings like this will look like mere allotments compared to Brazil. The EU will destroy farming and people need to wake up to the fact of what is coming.

I wonder do you have many houses rented out at the moment? How are you getting on with the company doing your letting and upkeep? Oh and while you’re at it fill us in on the wedge being taken in tax by revenue?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

If I had the deposit and the banks would back me I'd buy it, worst case scenario is I'd sell 800 acres :-) still have 200 acres plus left

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,043 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

I wonder do you have many houses rented out at the moment? How are you getting on with the company doing your letting and upkeep? Oh and while you’re at it fill us in on the wedge being taken in tax by revenue?
    Interesting on primetime during the week on people investing in mansfields golf apartments for 400k+ and cant even get into them.now

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

kevthegaff wrote: »
    If I had the deposit and the banks would back me I'd buy it, worst case scenario is I'd sell 800 acres :-) still have 200 acres plus left

The thing to do here would be mothball the existing yard into houses or commercial lets(planning can be hard without exisiting stuff) and go to a greenfield which you's prob need for the dairy empire in a more favourable location.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

You can be sure the man that buys that farm wont be depending on the banks to finance it .The reality is their is people with money and that farm will always be worth a premium

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,980 ✭✭✭Genghis Cant

That's exactly the type of owner I envisaged when I saw the video of the farm in the second post in this thread.

I wonder will it be extra emotional for him to let it go or just a relief.

Whatever he does I hope he lives long enough to enjoy some kind of relaxed retirement, the place is a credit to him.

It's a credit to about 3 generations of them!

I can only guess as to how any man would really feel.
    I was chatting him briefly, it'll be a big change around the area.
    I'll tell you another thing about him.
    March 18 when the snow was up to the hedges he moved more snow the the whole of Offaly Co Co and got the whole area moving again single handledly. That's the sort of man he is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,355 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

It's a credit to about 3 generations of them!

I can only guess as to how any man would really feel.
    I was chatting him briefly, it'll be a big change around the area.
    I'll tell you another thing about him.
    March 18 when the snow was up to the hedges he moved more snow the the whole of Offaly Co Co and got the whole area moving again single handledly. That's the sort of man he is.

It's heart warming to hear your first hand experience of the caliber of the man, there's a few of the old stock left but they are few and far between and it's important that they are acknowledged now on a public forum for posterity.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,224 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

It's heart warming to hear your first hand experience of the caliber of the man, there's a few of the old stock left but they are few and far between and it's important that they are acknowledged now on a public forum for posterity.

TBF a lot of farmers were out then, I was out all day and according as local farmers got their stock fed they were out too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 613 ✭✭✭Snowc

Passed this place many a time would be great to have a few spare euros left to buy it,put the cattle out in February and not see them till November again when they have fattened would be a gold mine

I always think it's the trees that make a place. I love those old style places with rolling limestone hills and big shady trees. I look at it and think, God imagine letting off cows and calves there for the first time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

You'd be surprised how many lads have that much land. There was a farmer not too far from here that left each of his sons over 1000 acres when he died. He had a lot of sons too.

Does their surname begin with a C patsy?

Does their surname begin with a C patsy?

Shur you know them well. Dont know if 1000 acres is accurate but I was told that figure recently.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,439 ✭✭✭Waffletraktor

Shur you know them well. Dont know if 1000 acres is accurate but I was told that figure recently.

How productive would the land be is how to judge some stories, as there is 1,000 acres and there's 1,000 acres iykwim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,016 ✭✭✭cute geoge

there is a bit of difference between 1000 acres of land and 1000 acres of ground

How productive would the land be is how to judge some stories, as there is 1,000 acres and there's 1,000 acres iykwim.
    The best of limestone land. Some winterage too as far as I know.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,540 ✭✭✭Limestone Cowboy

The best of limestone land. Some winterage too as far as I know.

Lots and lots and lots of winterage.

Lots and lots and lots of winterage.
    They do have a lot of top quality land down this side of the county.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Well lads anyone of ye win the 49 million it would probably run the place for a few years. I had a dream about it the other night that I won it and bought the place and I had 2 or 3 of those TG4 weather girls milking the cows in there bikinies and a Guinness tap in the milking parlour.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

kerryjack wrote: »
    Well lads anyone of ye win the 49 million it would probably run the place for a few years. I had a dream about it the other night that I won it and bought the place and I had 2 or 3 of those TG4 weather girls milking the cows in there bikinies and a Guinness tap in the milking parlour.

Bet ya were disgusted when you woke up

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,196 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

I suppose the real question is why were you dreaming about cows wearing bikinis?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,579 ✭✭✭kerryjack

Reggie. wrote: »
    Bet ya were disgusted when you woke up
    Ya just woke up before I was ready to hose down the place I had the hose in my hand ready to go.

Ya just woke up before I was ready to hose down the place I had the hose in my hand ready to go.

:eek:

• Advertisement

Today's the day ain't it

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement