Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Isn’t that a lovely farm.

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Million dollar (euro) question - If you won the Euro Millions next draw of €130m would you buy it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Base price wrote: »
    Million dollar (euro) question - If you won the Euro Millions next draw of €130m would you buy it?

Oh yes & OH would invest in electric gates to keep everyone out
    Imagine a 1000+ acre playground

• Registered Users Posts: 18,202 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

That a no brainer, question is if you won 15 million would you buy it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭DukeCaboom

My mother always prayed my father would never win the lotto cause she'd literally never see him again from the height of work!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,944 ✭✭✭Hard Knocks

Ah Bass we all know you’ve your Confirmation money in a creamery can hiding in the garden

• Advertisement

Oh yes & OH would invest in electric gates to keep everyone out
    Imagine a 1000+ acre playground

No f@@k off gates allowed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

DukeCaboom wrote: »
    My mother always prayed my father would never win the lotto cause she'd literally never see him again from the height of work!

I wouldn't take the farm for free.

No, too far from home. I’d buy every inch of land for sale within 15 or 20 mins of home though if I won the 130m.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,160 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Is it really a no brainer. TBH I would be out over faced with that much land, out of my depth and lacking the necessary skills/knowledge to farm it properly. I'd end up paying every tom, dick and harry to work/manage it for me with the end result of loosing money on the investment.
    I know two individuals (not farmers) who made big money in the eighties/noughties through sheer hard work. They both invested in land (estates/large farms) in the Leinster counties, one more so than the other and employed farm managers to look after their various estates type farms.
    As of today, one was declared bankrupt a few years ago and the other has been actively selling various estates/farms over the past few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,187 ✭✭✭carrollsno1

Be very tempting, but id be looking at a corner of Auatralia, Tasmania and New Zealand where i have worked in the past but the biggest problem like here is getting good skilled labour. Serious growth opportunities in those areas as well as climate challenges as well.
    Tasmania is still the last frontier where virgin ground can be bought easily enough and converted to pasture. Was at a small ag show there and lads were talking about a 700 acre block coming up beside them and how it would be mad to pay $7000/acre/hectare not sure which it was but it just sounded like a lad over here wondering if he should buy 7 acres beside him. Northern Canada could be looked at also for broadacre cropping and livestock farming that will be the next frontier by the looks of the way the climate is changing.

However i reckon a fleet of truck and dogs, diggers and a pipefitting rig out and heading for Melbourne would be more fun.

Better living everyone

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

Yeah. And leave it idle. Let it back to nature and wildlife.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 4,980 Mod ✭✭✭✭Genghis Cant

Just a wild guess, but they spent months clearing away stuff to the dump and cleaning up the place.

I wouldn't think so. It's always that tidy. In fact you'd regularly see the old man collecting any rubbish along the roads in the area.

Gods Gift wrote: »
    Yeah. And leave it idle. Let it back to nature and wildlife.

Well that would be a waste of money and a waste of good land.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,060 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

Plenty money anyway so why would i need more.Hate to win that kind a money,nobody would be straight with you again and even if you they were you be paranoid abou it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,390 ✭✭✭Wildsurfer

K.G. wrote: »
    Plenty money anyway so why would i need more.Hate to win that kind a money,nobody would be straight with you again and even if you they were you be paranoid abou it.

A million would do me. Enough to pay off debts, finish what I have left to do on farm and a bit left over to enjoy.

K.G. wrote: »

I dream about winning that sort of money, it would just so damn good! Euro millions is done twice a week and fingers crossed!

To be honest I’d be disappointed to only win a few million at this stage when the jackpots go so high and a very very large win would be truly life changing, your buying power would be massive and your family setup for generations to come.

I’d be telling no one outside of close family though and would be buying up land and businesses as a front to why I was “gradually” getting wealthy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I don’t know but I reckon it would be boring after a while working a farm like that. One of the good things about our tillage end of things is moving around to different areas. Different fields , shaped fields and obstacles. Makes the thing a little more interesting. Big fields like that and straight lines everywhere would be very boring after a while.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,289 ✭✭✭arctictree

I bought some land a few years ago. A few smart comments that I paid too much for it. That was until a parcel up the road was sold 2 years later. The amount the guy spent fencing it was equal to what I paid for mine and only about 1.5 times the size.
    That put an end to the smart comments.

We bought 23 acres in 2015. Bounded right up one side of our farm. People say we overpaid for it but it's worked out really well. Nothing beats buying land beside you and it may only happen once in a lifetime.

Is it really a no brainer. TBH I would be out over faced with that much land, out of my depth and lacking the necessary skills/knowledge to farm it properly. I'd end up paying every tom, dick and harry to work/manage it for me with the end result of loosing money on the investment.
    I know two individuals (not farmers) who made big money in the eighties/noughties through sheer hard work. They both invested in land (estates/large farms) in the Leinster counties, one more so than the other and employed farm managers to look after their various estates type farms.
    As of today, one was declared bankrupt a few years ago and the other has been actively selling various estates/farms over the past few years.

TBH I look at it totally different to that. I am late 50's, if I bought it and stocked it and set it up and I would only have spend about 20 million of the 150. It would be a case of just one big simple drystock operation. Leave the forestry as is, reduce the tillage and 7-800 bullocks. 50 acre paddocks that can be spit into 4-6 parts easy enough. I say it would have to be pit silage they would be a few too many bales. Would you get a contractor in for 75-85/acre to do 300-400 acres of first cut silage. 80-100 ares of tillage would be what grain you need. Nothing bigger than a 90HP tractor slurry and silage by contractor and maybe fertlizer as well. Only issue I have is that I could no longer be fussy and be buying only friesians I would have to diversify

Hardest part would be buying stock at the right price. No wollies or dairying either I too old for that sh!te. It would be great crack ringing a factory in mid July looking for a price for 3-4 doubles of cattle.

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,558 ✭✭✭Cavanjack

And not all purchasers are equal.
    If a sole trader buys it. To repay €20,000 principle it requires €41,666 profit.
    (Tax + PRSI + USC ).
    If a company buys it. To repay €20,000 principle it requires €22,857 profit.

If a company buys it and it’s paid for and the company is dissolved what happens the farm then?

• Advertisement

Cavanjack wrote: »
    If a company buys it and it’s paid for and the company is dissolved what happens the farm then?

If a company is dissolved its assets are distributed first all company debts are cleared. I presume that you wish to know can you keep the farm. The answer is that the value would be treated like a dividend and taxed

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

If I won that kind of money I would spend a few bob more putting a farm that size together in a different area but that would be just my preference. Would probably lease it out though as I have enough to do as it is. I know there are probably a lot better returns to be made out of renting houses, commercial units etc but sizeable tracts of land are always worth a lot of money and if you were young and hardy enough it would be enjoyable to be at the helm of an operation like that. Not to many get the chance
    Wrangler, why would you not take it for free?

• Registered Users Posts: 30 erada

Cavanjack wrote: »
    I bought land in 2011 for 7k an acre. Be lucky to get 6k an acre for it now going by the last land that was sold.

My late uncle bought 180 acres in Castlejordan near Kinnegad in the mid '80s @ £IR 1000/ acre. He farmed it until 2002 and sold it for 1025000 euro. The buyer sold it in 2004 for 1.9 million euro and it was sold again in 2006 for 3.6 million euro. It's incredible to think that it almost quadrupled in value in 4 years. I suppose today it would make 10000/acre. Just a lesson to anyone that thinks that if you buy land, whatever the price it will always be good value.

erada wrote: »
    My late uncle bought 180 acres in Castlejordan near Kinnegad in the mid '80s @ £IR 1000/ acre. He farmed it until 2002 and sold it for 1025000 euro. The buyer sold it in 2004 for 1.9 million euro and it was sold again in 2006 for 3.6 million euro. It's incredible to think that it almost quadrupled in value in 4 years. I suppose today it would make 10000/acre. Just a lesson to anyone that thinks that if you buy land, whatever the price it will always be good value.

And you don't have to paint it

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 30 erada

And you don't have to paint it

You'd do alright this year ringing around with your 4 doubles of fr/holsteins:D

erada wrote: »
    You'd do alright this year ringing around with your 4 doubles of fr/holsteins:D

I do alright with my 4Fr/Ho every week or so

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 11,064 ✭✭✭✭wrangler

Cattlepen wrote: »
    If I won that kind of money I would spend a few bob more putting a farm that size together in a different area but that would be just my preference. Would probably lease it out though as I have enough to do as it is. I know there are probably a lot better returns to be made out of renting houses, commercial units etc but sizeable tracts of land are always worth a lot of money and if you were young and hardy enough it would be enjoyable to be at the helm of an operation like that. Not to many get the chance
    Wrangler, why would you not take it for free?

I don't see a viable future in farming, A farmer living not too far from here used to milk 700 cows, he once said to me that every morning there was a new problem, I just wouldn't have the patience for that now or even ever, You do your best, take all the precautions and the farm generally s...ts on ya. It's hard not to be cynical, we've just had a good era in farming, I'd be surprised if it came around again

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭popa smurf

I worked on a farm that had that kind of acreage not in one block though down in cork 30 years ago, dairy, tillage and dry stock. The ould lad was dead killed himself working the woman was hooped over from work and the 3 sons were useless. Myself and the old lady used milk the cows about 200 of them and the sons would be in bed, we would get in for the breakfast 10.30 and she would be trying to get them up and when they did get up they would spend the day fighting and arguing amongst themselves. I moved on after about a year although l was well looked after they used to try and bring me in to there petty sqabbles. I hadn't an arse in my throusers at the time but I hadn't a care in the world, loved working and travelling and meeting all kinds of people along the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,699 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

arctictree wrote: »
    We bought 23 acres in 2015. Bounded right up one side of our farm. People say we overpaid for it but it's worked out really well. Nothing beats buying land beside you and it may only happen once in a lifetime.

I bought the bit of land just outside the ditch aswell. In fact, all I did was cut the 3 strands of barbed wire and put shackles on them to make a cheap gate. I limed it too which made a big improvement.
    Even if that land was a mile away, think of all the wasted time and expense in travelling back and forth over the years.

'When I was a boy we were serfs, slave minded. Anyone who came along and lifted us out of that belittling, I looked on them as Gods.' - Dan Breen

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭Cattlepen

wrangler wrote: »
    I don't see a viable future in farming, A farmer living not too far from here used to milk 700 cows, he once said to me that every morning there was a new problem, I just wouldn't have the patience for that now or even ever, You do your best, take all the precautions and the farm generally s...ts on ya. It's hard not to be cynical, we've just had a good era in farming, I'd be surprised if it came around again

Thanks for the honesty. I am of the same opinion as yourself with the exception that I do think it will come again but it could take a decade or possibly two. Very hard to wait that long. I too gave it a good go but got cynical with it all.
    You used to shear sheep though and in my book that make you one hardy buck. The toughest work known to man IMO. Back then I’d say you would have taken it for nothing and relished it. Youth is a marvellous thing

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement