Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Isn’t that a lovely farm.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Reggie. wrote: »
    Today's the day ain't it

Reggie has the cheque book at the ready !!!!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,360 ✭✭✭Rows Grower

Today's the day ain't it

Good man, often thought about it when I was out and about but of course forgot to check on it when I got back in home.

Keep us posted if you hear what it went for.

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

Donald Trump, March 13th 2018.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

Not far from Peter Hosey Trailers, by the way. About 4 kms.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,253 ✭✭✭Tileman

Not far from Peter Hosey Trailers, by the way. About 4 kms.

I’d say you’d but the farm cheaper than one of his trailers 😂

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭Bass Reeves

Sh!t I forgot the cheque book that ends that

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,064 ✭✭✭Kevhog1988

Not far from me, im on the kildare side of edenderry. Some block of land!! i passed the outskirts of it on the bike last week.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,956 ✭✭✭dzer2

Loose change to you surely you have that much in your pocket

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,349 ✭✭✭✭Base price

Ah you're good for it, drop in the deposit later :)

• Registered Users Posts: 734 ✭✭✭longgonesilver

think of the neighbours can't leave Offaly to goto the auction in Meath.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 994 ✭✭✭NcdJd

Have to get my euromillions ticket for tonight.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 695 ✭✭✭3 the square

think of the neighbours can't leave Offaly to goto the auction in Meath.

Is the auction on line by any chance ??

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,335 ✭✭✭✭mahoney_j

Jaysus lads Reggie is quite all day ...wonder did he pull it off ....

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,866 ✭✭✭chooseusername

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

What's the average for land up there, 10k? You'd be surprised at the amount of buyers in that price bracket especially with the way the world is at the minute, some may view it as a safer place for their money with negative interest rates and markets possibly too much out of kilter with the way economies are heading

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,766 ✭✭✭✭Say my name

"Very soon we are going to Mars. You wouldn't have been going to Mars if my opponent won, that I can tell you. You wouldn't even be thinking about it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 577 ✭✭✭theaceofspies

Who knows how the world is going to go.

Lots of fellas sitting back, looking on right now and sitting on the fence.

All the while it could be a case of going 'back to the future' and the only viable farming enterprise is the 'old estates' of old. At the turn of the 1900's that's how land ownership worked - you had to own vast acreage though. OK it was rented out but the owner still had an income.

This time 12 months from now there could well be a race for land. A few shrewdies buying up land locally here in Kerry at the moment.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,479 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

mahoney_j wrote: »
    Jaysus lads Reggie is quite all day ...wonder did he pull it off ....

Reggie didnt know if he was coming or going today

• Registered Users Posts: 2,056 ✭✭✭awaywithyou

11000/acre.... went cheap enuf in the end

11000/acre.... went cheap enuf in the end

Dont forget 200 acres was forestry

• Advertisement

Trying to figure out how to break the news to the missus that I've 11 million on the credit card

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,045 ✭✭✭kevthegaff

Heard Dawg is coming home :-)

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

i wonder is it like gold at the moment,would land be seen as a safe haven for money

K.G. wrote: »
    i wonder is it like gold at the moment,would land be seen as a safe haven for money

No and gold is not a safe haven either as most is paper gold with no reserves to back it up.

Slava Ukrainii

In a politically stable country like ours then yes but it also depends on the location, quality and purchase price of the land.

No and gold is not a safe haven either as most is paper gold with no reserves to back it up.
    Ah, but you cannot excuse idiots investing in something that they know nothing about.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 927 ✭✭✭leoch

Who bought it ???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

China

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,713 ✭✭✭Gods Gift

I can now reveal that it was

not me.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 327 ✭✭newholland mad

Heard earlier that the buyer has a ploughing connection.!!!

Heard earlier that the buyer has a ploughing connection.!!!

Oh a new permanent site......nice

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,611 ✭✭✭Mooooo

You can invest in gold, just have to know not the buy the funds etc that are only tracking it

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,259 Mod ✭✭✭✭K.G.

you re right but a good few people seem to disagree with you at the moment.a fella bought 2 farms around bandon around the time of the banking crisis.,the logic that prevailed at the time was a bank might go belly up but you d always have the land.he d probaly get more than he paid for it today and around bandon is strong farming country so its a fairly secure investment and was rented out and probaly return 2 or 3 % on that.land sold near us the other day and it was neighbouring americans bought it.

I would see land has an exceptionally safe place for money, the value of land has been gradually increasing over many years and it didn’t suffer any big crash even during the recession (farm land now I mean not zoned development land which was a different story).

It would be very hard to see a scenario where land would not be worth the same or almost certainly more than now in 5, 10 or 20 years time.

It’s also an exceptionally efficient way to minimize inheritance tax when passing on wealth to the next generation.

you re right but a good few people seem to disagree with you at the moment.a fella bought 2 farms around bandon around the time of the banking crisis.,the logic that prevailed at the time was a bank might go belly up but you d always have the land.he d probaly get more than he paid for it today and around bandon is strong farming country so its a fairly secure investment and was rented out and probaly return 2 or 3 % on that.land sold near us the other day and it was neighbouring americans bought it.

And if he had waited and held his cash in 2011/12 he have bought houses in Dublin for 150-200k that are worth 350-400 at present. They be returning 10-12% at present on original investment on rental return. Cork, Limerick and Galway would have given similar returns until 2014. As well the investment was sheltered from CCT if bought between 2012-2016 and held for 6 years. However hindsight is 20/20 vision

Land is an illiquid asset and present prices are strong. Going into a downturn access to a cash reserve is often the best hedge as it provides opportunities to invest. The risk is inflation. However most people will have existing property assets. You may already have exposure to the market's if you have a pension fund. The smart people put a few quid into gold in late February early March, they be considering selling now as the price could be peaking. Putin is going to mass test his vaccine on the general population. If it no use there will be another one from China in 2-3 weeks. The western pharma will more than likely have one after Christmas.

However with cash there may still be opportunities

Slava Ukrainii

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,007 ✭✭✭greenfield21

Zero interest rates and further fiscal and monetary stimulus will create higher asset price inflation including land. Were living in a hugely distorted market. Ignoring large parcels who go to wealthy individuals I cant actually see what's driving land prices anymore. So much uncertainty around beef dairying and future subsidies. Lads paying over 10k for heavy hilly ground round here is pure madness in my opinion. Then another nice sum on drainage. it's not so long ago land was worthless. In saying all that I do actually think land can rise further thats if the whole system doesn't collapse.

Whoever it was bought it, I don't think they will be too interested in taking expert financial advice from anyone posting here.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,103 ✭✭✭amacca

Dont forget 200 acres was forestry

Sure that would only just keep the rest of the place adequately kitted out with fence posts:D

8km internal roads, around 4 acres concrete yards, massive weighbridge, grain drying sheds, staff canteen two houses etc etc

+ ballyfore bit looks like you could keep selling sites off it for the next 30 years.

the only problem is you'd have the headache of farming it or keeping an eye on the fellas you would get to farm it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

Whoever it was bought it, I don't think they will be too interested in taking expert financial advice from anyone posting here.

Congratulations with the purchase. Hope it works out.

Congratulations with the purchase. Hope it works out.

Quite happy and too busy with my four acres.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,910 ✭✭✭✭patsy_mccabe

I see Tesla stock price has gone up nearly 5 time since the dip from Covid. No link whatsoever to earnings. Crazy times.

'If I ventured in the slipstream, Between the viaducts of your dream'

Zero interest rates and further fiscal and monetary stimulus will create higher asset price inflation including land. Were living in a hugely distorted market. Ignoring large parcels who go to wealthy individuals I cant actually see what's driving land prices anymore. So much uncertainty around beef dairying and future subsidies. Lads paying over 10k for heavy hilly ground round here is pure madness in my opinion. Then another nice sum on drainage. it's not so long ago land was worthless. In saying all that I do actually think land can rise further thats if the whole system doesn't collapse.

You got to remember that there is 7.5% stamp duty on land. It is a lot more illiquid than house etc.. on yesterday transaction there was 825k stamp duty. If not going farming it I be slow to invest

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,755 ✭✭✭jaymla627

I see Tesla stock price has gone up nearly 5 time since the dip from Covid. No link whatsoever to earnings. Crazy times.

Whatever about tesla, the value on the stock exchange of companies like beyond meat is bat sh**t crazy, the whole financial system and stock market is a ponzi schemce that should of blew up long ago only for goverments propping it up, when we here pascal waffling on about how cheap it is for Ireland to borrow money and running a 30 billion euro deficiet for 2020 isnt panic stations you know the game is up

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,471 ✭✭✭Panch18

There is very little investing done adays

there is a huge amount of gambling done though

• Registered Users Posts: 2,127 ✭✭✭cosatron

Liffey mills and a Leinster dairy family bought the place. Whelan your very quiet recently, have you anything to share

• Registered Users Posts: 1,606 ✭✭✭memorystick

Would there be luck penny?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Dunedin

cosatron wrote: »
    Liffey mills and a Leinster dairy family bought the place. Whelan your very quiet recently, have you anything to share

The auctioneer was on midlands radio this evening. Nice gig for him to get too.

Opened at €8m and after a couple of €500k bids it went up in €200€. Said it was over very quickly

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,503 ✭✭✭✭Mad_maxx

I would see land has an exceptionally safe place for money, the value of land has been gradually increasing over many years and it didn’t suffer any big crash even during the recession (farm land now I mean not zoned development land which was a different story).

It would be very hard to see a scenario where land would not be worth the same or almost certainly more than now in 5, 10 or 20 years time.

It’s also an exceptionally efficient way to minimize inheritance tax when passing on wealth to the next generation.

Farm land was in a bigger bubble than housing pre crash and is much further off its 2007 peak

It's usually a solid Conservative buy but like any asset can enter a bubble

Would there be luck penny?

Put a couple of fivers in an envelope and f@@k em, if they can afford eleven million they not short of a penny

Slava Ukrainii

• Registered Users Posts: 2,373 ✭✭✭Dunedin

Put a couple of fivers in an envelope and f@@k em, if they can afford eleven million they not short of a penny

But what if the price of milk drops?

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement