Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much do you spend on rent/mortgage?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 27,087 ✭✭✭✭GreeBo

I dont get why people are saying 40% is impossible or crazy.
    It totally depends on your income.

If the remaining 60% of my income is 6K/month then who cares that I'm spending 4K/month on mortgage/rent?

Now if Im earning 2K a month 40% would mean the remaining 60% is probably not enough to live on/save etc.

But to just say that 40% is "too much" is wrong.

(in any case, I'm closer to 50% of household net income!)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,393 ✭✭✭Dubh Geannain

GreeBo wrote: »
    I dont get why people are saying 40% is impossible or crazy.
    It totally depends on your income.

If the remaining 60% of my income is 6K/month then who cares that I'm spending 4K/month on mortgage/rent?

Now if Im earning 2K a month 40% would mean the remaining 60% is probably not enough to live on/save etc.

But to just say that 40% is "too much" is wrong.

(in any case, I'm closer to 50% of household net income!)

Exactly, but I suspect the remaining 60% is not near 6k.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,375 ✭✭✭bri007

We Pay just under 31% total income on mortgage

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 499 ✭✭SirGerryAdams

My rent is 8.3% of my gross pay.

Or

11.1% of my take home pay (which includes contributions taken for pension etc.)

EDIT: Single and sharing with 3 others.

It's depressing really despite my low % compared to others. I work and work but all the savings will go towards a house while people who never work a day in their lives will get the same thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 378 ✭✭Saudades

My rent is an eye-watering 67.5% of my net pay.

I pay 1,350 for a 1 bedroomed apartment in Dublin City Center and my net pay is 2,000.

I love my career and I love my home, so I've been reluctant to make a change in my lifestyle, but I'm at the stage now where something has to give and I need to find a new path.

Upgrading my career appears to be the better solution as there appears to be too much competition for renting apartments in Dublin.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Saudades wrote: »

I pay 1,350 for a 1 bedroomed apartment in Dublin City Center and my net pay is 2,000.

I love my career and I love my home, so I've been reluctant to make a change in my lifestyle, but I'm at the stage now where something has to give and I need to find a new path.

Upgrading my career appears to be the better solution as there appears to be too much competition for renting apartments in Dublin.
    I live a fairly simple lifestyle but I couldn’t do it on €650 a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 529 ✭✭✭clio_16v

Gael23 wrote: »
    How did you manage with it?

I had savings which were pretty much wiped out during that period. I am now in a job with better salary and much better progression prospects because i studied last year

• Registered Users Posts: 28 mwv

35% of my take home pay. I'm lucky to only be paying that in Dublin city as the landlord has never increased our rent, so I fret about the day I may have to move. That is definitely doable and I have friends struggling to find anywhere even somewhat reasonable so I would hurry to take it while it's available to be honest.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,001 ✭✭✭dazed+confused

I have mortgages on a few properties. The rent is covering them all, and I own the apartment I’m living in outright. The family home had the mortgage paid off a few years back.

Are you going to answer the question or are you just being a ****?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,704 ✭✭✭✭padd b1975

Probably about 30% on a celtic tiger mortgage taken out in late 2006.
    You can imagine the fun I've had with negative equity...

At the moment I have a couple of rooms rented out so getting just under the tax limit of 14,000 which goes towards a home improvement loan and car finance.
    They'll both be paid off within a year just in time for the start of the upward trend in interest rates according to those in the know.

I'm on a tracker so can't really complain on that front to be honest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25 previousmass

Gael23 wrote: »
    I live a fairly simple lifestyle but I couldn’t do it on €650 a month.

I only spent €435 last month (outside of house purchase related expenses) but that is very very atypical for me.

My mortgage (plus required insurances) is 32% of my take home pay.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,021 ✭✭✭✭Interested Observer

Holy ****. Have you been in your current job long? All my jumps in salary have come from moving companies, have you had a look at what else is out there?

• Registered Users Posts: 15 sneaklem

Mines around 40%

Take home is 2.4K, rent is 1050 PM for a 2 Bed, renting on my own, one day will move in with oul doll so should be more comfortable finance wise

• Registered Users Posts: 1,075 ✭✭✭JohnnyChimpo

Are you going to answer the question or are you just being a ****?

Well, he did answer the question - he's paying zero, because the rent is covering his BTL properties.

<MOD SNIP>

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 17,642 Mod ✭✭✭✭Graham

Mod Note

JohnnyChimpo, if you can't post in a civil manner please find somewhere else to post.

My actual mortgage payment is just under 20% of my take home after a significant pension contribution every month. I'm overpaying my mortgage by 75% ish though so that brings it up to about 35% ish.

• Registered Users Posts: 17 thencamethen

mortgage is 20% of my income, but I'm renting a room, so it's < 5% atm

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Approx 15% of our joint income. We rent in Cork city.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,126 ✭✭✭missmatty

Bought last year and my half of the mortgage is about 27% of my monthly pay, this includes life insurance.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,558 ✭✭✭✭Creamy Goodness

30% of net, 4-bed, north Wicklow. Save another 35% and live off the rest.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 26 edora91

30% of my basic salary, renting ensuite master bedroom in a shared house in an older estate in South Dublin. I can't afford to buy on my own, so will be renting for a while. I also save 15-20% for a deposit.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,089 ✭✭✭✭Gael23

Went to view the place today, its lovely but it’s €950 a month plus €100 for bills on a take home salary of €2500 approx.

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭sheepondrugs

Mortgage is 575 p/month for a 2 bed apartment West Dublin (Bought in 2010).
    15% of our combined net income.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

My rent is about 35% of my take home pay.

Small 2 bedroom townhouse in South Dublin.

It's certainly not ideal but hopefully not forever.

• Registered Users Posts: 279 ✭✭turniphead

I can very much relate to this. I have my absolute dream job which is only based in Dublin. I love it and it doesn't feel like work. I have an option to move to Cork for a generic job and as a consequence pay a lot less rent but right now that just doesn't appeal to me. It's far from ideal but I really love the work I do and don't want to leave it.

As I mentioned above, I pay 35% of my take home pay in rent.

• Registered Users Posts: 616 ✭✭✭Jeju

This month it's 50% combined, next month it's 0

• Closed Accounts Posts: 999 ✭✭✭NewRed2

0, but it took a while to get there. And you don't get thanked for it!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

I have the joys of living in a recently in the news complex that needs remediation work for fire safety so am paying €650 a month on service charges alone on top of the mortgage which itself is about 25% of my salary. Thankfully my partner contributes too so my share is about 20% of my take home salary.

Just lucky I'm on a tracker mortgage.

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭voluntary

so am paying €650 a month on service charges alone

That's just for a few months, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,376 ✭✭✭✭Exclamation Marc

voluntary wrote: »
    That's just for a few months, right?

The best part of 3 years. Probably 1.5 years into it now.

Advertisement