Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,027 ✭✭✭MidMan25

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    The Met Eireann weather summary for November is out.

Drier, colder and sunnier than average with...
    Athenry the driest since 1983
    Moorepark coldest since 1984
    Cork Airport sunniest since 1962

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

Cork suniest since 1962 you say? We all know what happened next!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,993 ✭✭✭squarecircles

'A vast steering low' next week,siobhan Ryan on forecast.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

'A vast steering low' next week,siobhan Ryan on forecast.

Guess she is referring to a low pressure system which is currently showing on ECMWF and GFS models for 8th/9th. Current track has it running between Iceland and the North West coast. Something worth keeping an eye on anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,338 ✭✭✭lolie

Some lovely weather this week but also some miserable days with very dense fog that lasted all day.
    Also the amount of people out driving about town yesterday in dense fog with no lights on, even up till about 4 o'clock.
    And lots of people walking out the roads with not even a high vis, very dangerous.
    fryup wrote: »
    does anyone know it the Aurora is visible up north at the moment??

Nope unless by up north you mean the north pole.
    Very weak solar wind these days and no big sunspots on the Sun at the minute.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,520 ✭✭✭nagdefy

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    The Met Eireann weather summary for November is out.

Drier, colder and sunnier than average with...
    Athenry the driest since 1983
    Moorepark coldest since 1984
    Cork Airport sunniest since 1962

On the subject of the Met monthly reports, does anyone know where all the old monthly reports are on the met site now?

They went back to April 1986 and i loved reading them! I can't locate them since the last site revamp.

There were some classics ther that i read a few times, like August 1995 and the cover page all newspaper headlines about the heatwave that month )and summer). Also December 2010.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,114 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Lowest temp at 1am is 3c out of all the Met Eireann weather stations, a min of -4c was predicted (now revised to -2). Is anywhere actually below 0c? No fog reported either.

Not an accurate forecast for tonight anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

3.7C in Castlebar tonight, the first night in nearly 2 weeks it has been above freezing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

+3.5 here in Longford this morning, no frost, dry and cloudy.
    I have a bit of a cold, was I having hallucination's or did some posts go missing overnight?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

nagdefy wrote: »
    On the subject of the Met monthly reports, does anyone know where all the old monthly reports are on the met site now?

They went back to April 1986 and i loved reading them! I can't locate them since the last site revamp.

There were some classics ther that i read a few times, like August 1995 and the cover page all newspaper headlines about the heatwave that month )and summer). Also December 2010.

Go to Met Eireann on the full site. Then go to Past weather on the left hand side bar.
    Select Monthly Weather Reports.
    Then select Archive on the bar on the top of this page.
    You can then change the year and month and go back as far as January 1986.

Edit: Tried again and I can go only go back as far as April 1986.

Does nobody remember 2010? Mild muck came on the 6th of December and by the 16th it was snowing again.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

JCX BXC wrote: »
    Does nobody remember 2010? Mild muck came on the 6th of December and by the 16th it was snowing again.

I remember 2010 being 2 major cold spells separated by about 4 days of mildish weather. Our first lot of snow was almost gone when the second lot started.

the difference with 2010 was that we were exiting solar minimum where as now we are only entering that phase.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,852 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

So, been awhile since we have had a low pressure system with associated fronts come in over the country, haven't had proper rain here in Kerry for over 15 days. Some rain possible in the SW Mon eve and first front arrives early Tues followed on by further rain bands Tues night and Weds , possibly heavy in the Western half of the country. Windy at times. Next Fri through to Mon looking windy and possibly very wet at times.

d5qt5HX.gif?1

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 16,736 Mod ✭✭✭✭Gonzo

damp, mild and wet at times today with light showers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 787 ✭✭✭ArKl0w

Egypt ironically almost gets more snow than us these days but I wouldn't put it down as a source for cold!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

ArKl0w wrote: »
    Egypt ironically almost gets more snow than us these days but I wouldn't put it down as a source for cold!

You have to wait to see how it evolves.:D;)
    Potentially a few stormy days coming.
    But its not as bad (for cold lovers) as it looked yesterday.
    North and west look possible for snow showers kind of like our recent episode.
    And (about that chart) maybe Europe will have cooled down a bit more by then.
    Polar lows look to be the order of the day and if they cross the country though.

ArKl0w wrote: »

not far from the truth at all. Certain southern Europe see's more than we do. Places like Greece, much of Italy and even much of Spain away from the coast see's snow more regularly than we do.

Even the west and North of Ireland doesn't fare too badly with low to moderate snowfalls often more than once per winter as most of the 'cold' weather we get is Atlantic based and northerly tipplers.

Louth, Meath, Kildare, Dublin, Wicklow, Wexford, Carlow, Kilkenny, Waterford and Cork have to be one of the most snow starved locations in all of Europe along with Spanish coastlines, channel Islands, Isle Of Man, Sicily (lowlands) and Crete.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 17,756 Mod ✭✭✭✭DOCARCH

Gonzo wrote: »
    ....along with Spanish coastlines, channel Islands, Isle Of Man, Sicily (lowlands) and Crete.

? http://www.skiresort.info/ski-resorts/crete/

Hard to believe, but true!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,138 ✭✭✭snaps

So Winter is a proper winter here in Southern Poland this year. Lots of snow, some pretty cold weather too (lowest Ive recorded so far -16). Currently there is 30cms of snow lying and day time temps around -5. Next few nights will be around -15.

Had problems with photos on the other thread, So I hope they stay on this time!

And by the way, for those who don't know me, I'm an ex pat now living in Poland for the last 3 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,980 ✭✭✭Slashermcguirk

Gonzo I assume you are not referring to the Wicklow mountains?? They get a lot of snow every winter. Sally gap often has snow when it feels mild at low levels.

• Advertisement

Gonzo I assume you are not referring to the Wicklow mountains?? They get a lot of snow every winter. Sally gap often has snow when it feels mild at low levels.

yeah referring to just low lying areas, not mountain regions.

Parts of the uk get very little snow too. Scotland obviously gets plenty of snow but London for example gets very little. I have a friend living there a good few years now and he said it rarely ever snows. Even 2010 when we had epic snow in dublin, he said when he arrived home he couldn't believe how much snow there was. They had hardly a few cms in London

• Registered Users Posts: 158 ✭✭pqdvdplayer

Xenji wrote: »
    3.7C in Castlebar tonight, the first night in nearly 2 weeks it has been above freezing.
    Does the Clew Bay inlet make places like Westport and Castlebar colder/drier than they would be if they were on a headland?

Parts of the uk get very little snow too. Scotland obviously gets plenty of snow but London for example gets very little. I have a friend living there a good few years now and he said it rarely ever snows. Even 2010 when we had epic snow in dublin, he said when he arrived home he couldn't believe how much snow there was. They had hardly a few cms in London

what about when there is an easterly? The UK get's easterly's that matter more than we do, AND they get atlantic front's which start off as rain over Ireland and west UK but end up as driving snow over midlands and eastern UK loads of times. Surely they get snow more than we do?

Sure some parts of uk get more snow but the amount of snow they get is greatly exaggerated on here. Parts of Scotland get lots of snow but places like south and south east England would be very similar to us. I would say north eastern England gets more snow than us but overall snow is quite rare in the uk (outside of Scottish highlands) as it is here.

I would say the Wicklow mountains / sally gap for example gets more snow most winters than most of the uk

One of the last cold,clear,calm nights in Mayo, down to zero later.

Any wind now will seem shocking.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

it'll be interesting to see how the battle between the Atlantic and the blocking high over France works out - looks finely balanced to me esp for the Sunny South East.

it'll be interesting to see how the battle between the Atlantic and the blocking high over France works out - looks finely balanced to me esp for the Sunny South East.

Or you may get stuck between the two and get the most rain :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sounds about right! :p :mad:

• Advertisement

Sounds about right! :p :mad:

It'll probably land right over me though!

Oh well, I wouldn't mind a few wet days!
    Just hope they feck off again after a while!

MT's forecast isn't too pessimistic.

Advertisement