Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Winter Weather 2016/17 - General Discussion

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Typical Ireland - winter is declared and the temps start to rise! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 918 ✭✭✭Jakey Rolling

Was -6.9 here last night in clear skies on the north side of the Knockmealdowns.

Currently -1.2C but a bit of cloud cover so unlikely to drop so low tonight?

100412.2526@compuserve.com

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Big Temp difference across the country tonight, 7.0C here near Tralee

NYFrcLc.png

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 11,861 Mod ✭✭✭✭Meteorite58

Good time to calibrate Barometers ! 1028.6 hPa Steady here near Tralee

iTNVdW8.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Nearly zero visibility in Castlebar with fog at -2.3C, the fog settled in early yesterday morning and has not lifted since.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,117 ✭✭✭✭JCX BXC

Temperature has risen here by 1c over the past 2 hours, 5.6c now making it the days high. No fog since Wednesday morning either.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭Samsgirl

My car thermometer showed -8 this morn in Aherlow Co Tipp.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Temps in Tomb over the last 24hrs. Barely managed a 4.0c max today and below freezing again with a current reading of -2.6c.

402896.png

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭MissMoc

-5.5 in Tullamore now

MissMoc wrote: »
    -5.5 in Tullamore now

11.2c warmer in West Clare!

Temp rising all evening, +5.7c now!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,235 ✭✭✭Oneiric 3

Has there yet been a day in the past week / recently when temps at a station have not gone above freezing?

Met station in Ballyhaise, Co. Cavan recorded a max of just -0.3c last Friday.

New Moon

• Registered Users Posts: 1,497 ✭✭✭Hooter23

-2 in Galway ice very widespread already

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any chance of winter 2010 being repeated ??

• Registered Users Posts: 1,994 ✭✭✭squarecircles

fryup wrote: »
    any chance of winter 2010 being repeated ??

I doubt it,there could be slightly colder than average periods,moderated by milder periods,but I don't think it will be as severe as 2010 or entrenched cold.

Next week minima could be a balmy 13 degrees.
    Pity though,I'd have liked the seasonal weather continue through the beginning of December.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

It's currently -3 here in my part of Longford, fog lifted here just after dark. Back roads are dampish after the fog, will be dangerous in the morning.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,502 ✭✭✭q85dw7osi4lebg

Cars and grass frozen solid since 8pm, East Meath.

Quite a long time since frost has set in by 8pm in my location. I'll blame the fog!

I doubt it,there could be slightly colder than average periods,moderated by milder periods,but I don't think it will be as severe as 2010 or entrenched cold.

Next week minima could be a balmy 13 degrees.
    Pity though,I'd have liked the seasonal weather continue through the beginning of December.

Markably similar to 2010, cold spell lasted until the 6th then and was back with a bite at the 16th.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,069 ✭✭✭✭fryup

does anyone know it the Aurora is visible up north at the moment??

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 4,466 Mod ✭✭✭✭mickger844posts

Frost hung around in sheltered spots all day yesterday but cloud cover moved in late afternoon which held temps above freezing. Temp continued to rise overnight and is currently a frost free 4.3c. Pity this spell is coming to an end but the general feeling is for reload of cold conditions before Christmas. The overall set up is a lot more favourable than the last few Winters for sure.

www.waterfordweather.com

• Registered Users Posts: 33,144 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

There was a news article yesterday about complaints received re: weather coverage. Some about its accuracy.

Got to agree on this. Last night was a prime example and not sure just how they can get it so wrong?

Driving home from work at 8pm I heard the forecast on RTE say "the far North would experience a hard and sever frost, with temps dropping as low as -5". Admittedly the main roads were also heavily gritted at the same time, so assumed it was going to be a fairly accurate forecast.

Put on my windscreen cover last night, and came out this morning at 6am expecting to have to defrost the car. Nothing. Zilch. Got into the car and the temp read +6C. Thats 10-11 degrees of an error.

How?

• Advertisement

NIMAN wrote: »
    There was a news article yesterday about complaints received re: weather coverage. Some about its accuracy.

Got to agree on this. Last night was a prime example and not sure just how they can get it so wrong?

Driving home from work at 8pm I heard the forecast on RTE say "the far North would experience a hard and sever frost, with temps dropping as low as -5". Admittedly the main roads were also heavily gritted at the same time, so assumed it was going to be a fairly accurate forecast.

Put on my windscreen cover last night, and came out this morning at 6am expecting to have to defrost the car. Nothing. Zilch. Got into the car and the temp read +6C. Thats 10-11 degrees of an error.

How?

Did it not mention that the frost would be away from the far north?

No, definitely heard it right, I was so shocked I was even considering listening to the podcast this morning to make sure I heard it right.

Edit: just listened to the forecast on the Game On podcast from last night at 7pm......I heard right. They got it wrong.

NIMAN wrote: »
    No, definitely heard it right, I was so shocked I was even considering listening to the podcast this morning to make sure I heard it right.

Fair enough, I'd nearly put that down to regional variation and the difficulty of predicting how low and where the lows will be, small bit of a sea breeze or cloud can ruin the show! The other morning here in West Clare I woke to a very slight frost with -0.6c, when I expected -5c and a dense fog.

Just how it rolls, but I do agree Met Eireann can be lacking in accuracy, just can't see how they can drastically improve this. Its not a problem particular to them either.

Eg, I was in Tynemouth in the North of England last year, standing inside the Priory castle there at the edge of the coast waiting for the bus to arrive in the persistent rain, while the Met Office app was telling me there was sunny spells in Tynemouth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭pedigree 6

Typical Ireland - winter is declared and the temps start to rise! :pac:

Ha! We get our cold and frost and snow in autumn and wet and mild and stormy in winter.:P

I was laughing at Frank Mitchell giving the forecast on UTV last night, he basically said something along these lines, "so for the province there will be some sunny spells with very light rain, some cloud and it will be crisp in a light breeze"

Cheers Frank, kinda covering all the bases there! (and to be honest, it was longer and more generic than that)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,055 ✭✭✭Elmer Blooker

pedigree 6 wrote: »
    Ha! We get our cold and frost and snow in autumn and wet and mild and stormy in winter.:P
    ......... and Greenland blocking in April!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭Eamondomc

-2 here, bright and really festive looking.
    Great.
    A view looking out at cairn (corn) hill, the highest point in Longford this morning.

This was the scene here in wexford yesterday morning.

2016_12_01_09.jpg

Right, that's the last of that weather for a long time.:p

Got up to 10.1C here near Tralee, temperature falling quickly now down to 6.1C.

Fog forming over the river below Ardfert Cathedral a few minutes ago.

cN0grBv.jpg?1

• Advertisement

The Met Eireann weather summary for November is out.

Drier, colder and sunnier than average with...
    Athenry the driest since 1983
    Moorepark coldest since 1984
    Cork Airport sunniest since 1962

http://www.met.ie/climate/monthly-weather-reports.asp

Advertisement