Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Price of scrap

• 08-08-2011 10:43pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 17

Hi all, what's the price of scrap steel at the moment?

Also where in Cork gives the best price?

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

pa1 wrote: »
    Hi all, what's the price of scrap steel at the moment?

Also where in Cork gives the best price?

Thanks

Take no less than €220 per ton collected. Our footbal club just made €25k with a small local collection.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43 shot_ov_a

reilig wrote: »
    Take no less than €220 per ton collected. Our footbal club just made €25k with a small local collection.

who around us is giving that reilig if you dont mind me asking have a fair bit to get gathered up??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17 pa1

Thanks for that, what about delivered?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,761 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Nice one - I'm currently assembling a stock pile myself, though I hope prices don't follow the current stock market:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,953 ✭✭✭aujopimur

I found National Recycling in Churchfield to be the best for prices over the years.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭reilig

Any of the buyers around here are offering that price. National Recycling from Dublin bought ours but Wilton Waste ion cavan came close to matching their prices. They gave us €500 per ton for batteries. We got approximately half of the metal dumped in turbury bogs - scrapped cars, old boilers and cookers, washing machines, dryers etc. I found over 40 used lorry and tractor batteries on a piece of bog that i own. When the guy who dumped them heard how much we got for them, he came to me demanding money for them. Ha! Tough luck sonny . . . . you gave up all ownership of them when you illegally dumped them on my land. Copper is also worth a lot of money at the moment!!!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

I'd suggest holding on to copper at the moment, AFAIK no new sources of copper have been found on dry land, even old under sea telegraph cables are being taken up because of the scrap value. China is stock piling copper at present. Yer man dumping batteries had some cheek ffs

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 194 ✭✭what happen

:eek:
    Any of the buyers around here are offering that price. National Recycling from Dublin bought ours but Wilton Waste ion cavan came close to matching their prices. They gave us €500 per ton for batteries. We got approximately half of the metal dumped in turbury bogs - scrapped cars, old boilers and cookers, washing machines, dryers etc. I found over 40 used lorry and tractor batteries on a piece of bog that i own. When the guy who dumped them heard how much we got for them, he came to me demanding money for them. Ha! Tough luck sonny . . . . you gave up all ownership of them when you illegally dumped them on my land. Copper is also worth a lot of money at the moment!!!
    the brother got 55 kilos of scrap copper away the new copper is a fiecre price 3/4 copper pipe is 5 euro for 2 foot.:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,274 ✭✭✭Bodacious

thats gas!! oh when the tables turn :) the fly tippers come looking for their rubbish back!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 57 ✭✭farmerjohn

how much would u get for a scrap car, have 2 of dem to get rid of also theres galvanised sheeting from an old 4 bay hay barn

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,893 ✭✭✭allthedoyles

farmerjohn wrote: »
    how much would u get for a scrap car, have 2 of dem to get rid of also theres galvanised sheeting from an old 4 bay hay barn

For scrap cars , you would get about €150 p/tonne . - So for instance a honda civic would weigh about 800kgs = value € 120 .

Whereas a Toyota Carina would weigh about 1100kgs , = value € 165.

You will be given a certificate of destruction , and keep this and make sure the cars are crushed .

I know of a car that ended up on the road once again , after been sold for scrap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bricoglendale

Anyone know what the scrap price for aluminium is?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 bricoglendale

Anyone know what the scrap price for aluminium is, as in
    the aluminium doors etc?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

When the guy who dumped them heard how much we got for them, he came to me demanding money for them.

send him in invoice for cleaning up the toxic waste he dumped on your land

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tomscrowd

sorry all.im new here so hope im doin this right..does anyone know how much scrap aluminium is goin for.. i get a bit of it that comes through were i work and it gets thrown out.. just wonderin if its worth my while collecting it..any help with this would be great..just lookin to make a few bob.. im sure im like many people struggling,, in the Dublin area

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

The price fluctuates. Scrap in general is down in price at the moment, I think aluminium is around 80cent per kilo. It doesn't sound like much but it's worth gathering up and hanging onto especially if you have easy access to a decent amount of it. Just make sure it's alright with your workplace.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 tomscrowd

So a kilo is about a bag of sugar.. i think i might be able to get a few kilos.. might be worth it alright..thank you..do you know of anywere in dublin..have ya been in such case

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

Anyone know what scrap steel is making at the moment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,716 ✭✭✭1chippy

td5man wrote: »
    Anyone know what scrap steel is making at the moment.
    it must be on the rise again, we are on a job in dublin and the knackers are like flies on shte.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,081 ✭✭✭td5man

1chippy wrote: »
    it must be on the rise again, we are on a job in dublin and the knackers are like flies on shte.
    Time to sell mine or hide it before theyre gone with it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Finnt

I'll post here save opening new tread!
    What's battery's making?
    Where's the best place to bring scrap in Limerick?

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,700 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Probably Hegarty's on the Ballysimon rd.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 338 ✭✭jocotty

Hi'

I'v about 1/4 tonne of copper to scrap . . Left over from plumbing jobs

Wonder should I sell it now, or wait to see if the prices are goin to rise ?

Is the price of scrap copper supposed to rise after christmass?

Jo

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,326 ✭✭✭Farmer Pudsey

jocotty wrote: »
    Hi'

I'v about 1/4 tonne of copper to scrap . . Left over from plumbing jobs

Wonder should I sell it now, or wait to see if the prices are goin to rise ?

Is the price of scrap copper supposed to rise after christmass?

Jo

Very hard to predict scrap market at present on world markets it is around 4-5K/ton this is as low as it has been in 12 months has been as high as nearly 7K/ton. It like any other thing you trade in prices go up and down. Often wonder if it drops a bit always near Christmas as tradesmen gather it for Christmas slush fund

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,971 ✭✭✭enricoh

i know a lad who's full time in scrap n he was telling me dont bring mine to the scrapyard in december/january coz they drop the prices then every year.
    every fella is scratching for a few quid for xmas or skint in january n loads up what he has then.
    another tip - if u have a decent bit ring up first for price per ton. thats what i did last time n the lad weighed it n was putting down e100 less per ton aluminium than yer man quoted. oh yeh - also watch the scales like a hawk! the crowd in my local place are iffy to say the least!

• Registered Users Posts: 139 ✭✭owen85

Anyone know how much id get for a fridges compressor.?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,219 ✭✭✭✭Nekarsulm

About €170 per ton weight. Half a ton €85. Carry it in under your arm, nothing at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 47 Gunnersonny

I have a 16 year old Potterton oil boiler in my Utility being replaced. Is it worth the hassle of bringing it to a scrap yard? It's heavy enough alright, but not sure if the metal is of any value.

I have a 16 year old Potterton oil boiler in my Utility being replaced. Is it worth the hassle of bringing it to a scrap yard? It's heavy enough alright, but not sure if the metal is of any value.

All metal is valuable as you get paid by weight. Give your local scrap merchant a ring as you may have to strip it down into different parts for weighing purposes.
    Dont give it away

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 970 ✭✭✭eurokev

do scrapyards take cars

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,353 ✭✭✭✭Base price

eurokev wrote: »
    do scrapyards take cars
    Under legislation scrapyards/establishments accepting cars and other vehicles for destruction must be licensed.
    http://www.irishstatutebook.ie/eli/2014/si/281/made/en/print

Was in the local scrap metal/recycling place in Cavan during the week, and the lad there took a phone call from a woman in Cabra, who had a little Opel she wanted rid off. He told her it would be collected by 10 am the next morning.
    was surprised they would go so far for one car, must be a few eurp profit in them still.....

here in the South East they collect from homeowners etc and usually offer nothing to take away , so best bring it yourself and get paid at their yard.

Nekarsulm wrote: »
    Was in the local scrap metal/recycling place in Cavan during the week, and the lad there took a phone call from a woman in Cabra, who had a little Opel she wanted rid off. He told her it would be collected by 10 am the next morning.
    was surprised they would go so far for one car, must be a few eurp profit in them still.....
    As you know I would be up and down the M3 several times a week.
    Often seen scrapyourcar.ie recovery vehicles on it and they ain't there to look at the scenery and buzzards along the way ;)
    Wouldn't be my first choice of scrapyard to pick up a part from. Lots of others in the area that IMO are more helpful, with pleasant staff, cheaper and have a better returns policy.

This was Felix Gormleys . Send a truck to Dublin and back would be probably nine or ten gallons of diesel, he would want to be getting a load of them.

• Advertisement

This was Felix Gormleys . Send a truck to Dublin and back would be probably nine or ten gallons of diesel, he would want to be getting a load of them.
    scrapyourcar.ie is Felix Gormley.
    Often seen their lorry heading East to Dublin on the M3 loaded with cars on board. I presume there is active trade with different makes/models between Counties.

• Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭farmer2018

How are scrap prices at the moment?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,519 ✭✭✭✭whisky_galore

farmer2018 wrote: »
    How are scrap prices at the moment?

Through the floor I would imagine with the slowdown of economic activity.

Even the ethnic favourite, copper, has gone down, new cabling tends to be fibre optic.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,735 ✭✭✭lakill Farm

My electrician was telling me he went down to Crossdoney with wire offcuts and old wire he pulled out of rewire jobs. Gormley quoted x price on a Friday
    He went down Saturday morning , weighted in and out. Price paid was 1/4 less and Gormley charged him weighbridge charge

Went to Wilton the following week with the 2nd half of it and got the same price Gormley quoted and no charges for weighbridge

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 849 ✭✭✭Sugarbowl

Anyone scrap a car lately? How much did ye get? Got a quote of 50 collected, is that the going rate?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 594 ✭✭✭farmer2018

Sugarbowl wrote: »
    Anyone scrap a car lately? How much did ye get? Got a quote of 50 collected, is that the going rate?

I got quoted 30.

• Registered Users Posts: 380 ✭✭Gman1987

Got a quote of €84 this week from Cartakeback.ie

Advertisement