Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

My autonomous lawn mower thread/blog

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bedouin79

Ok another opinion/review question or questions. Had my local dealer out to look at the lawn. His suggestion is a Stihl or Ambrogio robot mower. He is seriously pushing the Stihl I prefer the Ambrogio. Anybody got experience of either any info appreciated. Model’s up for discussion are

STIHL RMI 632 PC iMow with GPS

&

Ambrogio
    L250I ELITE S+

• Registered Users Posts: 4,141 ✭✭✭blackbox

I finally decided to buy a Husqvarna 435X. (garden has steep hills)

Took me a couple of days to lay the wires but now he's up and running.

Has got stuck a few times but I'm gradually sorting out the obstacles. Over time I plan to extend the area he cuts. It's amazing on steep banks.

Very pleased so far except for the App. it only works if you are very close to the mower as it uses bluetooth.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

I installed the Gardena Smart Sileno 1000M2 Robotic Lawnmower & Set.

Could have done with the Sileno city but at the price I bought the one above I’m happy enough.

Very easy setup but its definitely overkill for the size of my garden. As I have a new build with fresh grass, I’m hoping to keep with weeds down and train the grass to grow out instead of up to fill in the gaps in the lawn.

522527.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 4,728 ✭✭✭Naos

Morning - I've cleared this with the mods as I wanted to give someone thinking about buying first dibs if interested.

I purchased a Rob S400 for 660e back in April. I opened the box to look at it but never set it up as we were still unsure of the garden setup.
    We've decided to upheave our garden plans and as such, the robomower is unfortunately no longer needed.

Has a 5 year guarantee (4 years 8 months now) and will sell it to someone on here who's looking for one (I'm based in Kildare) for 540e, please PM if interested.

Thanks

Amazon link for reviews

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

I had asked a while back whether anyone had experience setting the charging station up off the lawn as most manufacturers don't recommend. As I got no replies I decided to give it a go anyway and can confirm that for me at least there is no issue, see the attached pic.

It's been in place for just over a week now and have had no issues with it returning for charge.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,662 ✭✭✭Duke of Url

antomack wrote: »
    I had asked a while back whether anyone had experience setting the charging station up off the lawn as most manufacturers don't recommend. As I got no replies I decided to give it a go anyway and can confirm that for me at least there is no issue, see the attached pic.

It's been in place for just over a week now and have had no issues with it returning for charge.

I was thinking about doing the same but opted for keeping it on the grass.

522557.jpeg

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

I have the Stihl 632c.
    Cutting 6000 m2 which is really too much for it. I have it going 24/7 including in the rain.
    I change the blade about every 300 hour of actual cutting.
    Only downside is the perimeter tracks where it gets a bit tracked from the continuous use.

I would like to try one that does not need guide wire to return to the charger.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,076 ✭✭✭✭KCross

I have the Stihl 632c..... Only downside is the perimeter tracks where it gets a bit tracked from the continuous use.

Does it not come back along the guide wire in different tracks each time so that no tracks are left?

The husqvarna does that.... it uses something like a metre wide channel and uses a different track each time so over the course of a week it wont have left a track and the grass is always growing anyway.
    I would like to try one that does not need guide wire to return to the charger.

How would it find its way home then though?

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

Hey, quick question for all you guys. I'm in the process of installation and in wondering about insurance for the mowers. I asked my home insurance and they don't do it. Anyone have any providers they use? You can PM me the name is it's against the rules.

Would really like to insure it as it's basically 4k wandering around my garden, on use own, probably unsupervised and we've no gate up yet.

Thanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 320 ✭✭louis346789

The Stihl follows the perimeter wire to get home.
    Maybe the huskie does it differently. Let me do some checks

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 485 ✭✭septicsac

Had to replace one of the front castor wheels on the 450X over the weekend. Wheel got tore up, looks like something got stuck in between castor axle/bracket. Whole castor kit, with new axle and bearings was 55E and labour then for dealer to fit same(too busy to do myself).Its the first real money i spent on it in near 2yrs of use. I think where it goes from tarmac to grass is slightly too steep, causing bearing damage to the castors, as other castor wheel slightly wobbly, will change bearings and rubber wheel myself soon.
    It missed two/three days of cutting and grass near got out of control, the thoughts of cutting with walk behind near gave me a stroke.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,645 ✭✭✭krissovo

septicsac wrote: »
    It missed two/three days of cutting and grass near got out of control, the thoughts of cutting with walk behind near gave me a stroke.

My garden is full of padding pools and a inflatable water park for the kids with electric wires and garden hose laid out so the mower is off. I have palpitations every time i venture into the garden with the growth.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 keg

Do people think the husqvarna gives a better cut to the Ambrogio. Just in the process of purchasing and I think the smaller blade works better

• Registered Users Posts: 569 ✭✭✭Peter T

Husqvarna catalogue landed in the post during the week. Im moving house and need to get a lawnmower anyway. Rough calculations is the lawn is an area of around 1000m2 so the Automower 310 would fit the bill. What kind of run time are you talking for the mower to cover this type of ground ? Majority of the laws are straight runs with no trees or anything in the way.

• Registered Users Posts: 521 ✭✭✭Shaunoc

keg wrote:
    Do people think the husqvarna gives a better cut to the Ambrogio. Just in the process of purchasing and I think the smaller blade works better

Doubtful many people have been afforded chance to directly compare. Both seem generally to have good feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭antomack

keg wrote: »

No first hand experience but when looking last year at my local dealer who does both he was expressing his opinion that the Ambrogio did a better cut over Husq, he reckoned the Husq blades don't do as clean a cut as the blades have too much movement available.

• Registered Users Posts: 619 ✭✭✭tedimc

keg wrote: »

I'm trying to decide between the two myself. My garden area is >10,000m2 (exact size to be confirmed).

I'm looking at the Husq 450X * 2 at 8k euro. Might need three.
    or
    Ambrogio L350i Elite Pro * 2 at <8k, but 2 would suffice.

Maybe I could be sponsored and do a shoot-off between the two!!:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

tedimc wrote: »
    I'm trying to decide between the two myself. My garden area is >10,000m2 (exact size to be confirmed).

or

I'm guessing you're doing a new build or something but I would maybe reconsider how much ground you want to set as grass.

2.5 acres of lawn would be madnesss imo, I have 20% of that and I think it's too much at that. Should have planted more trees for woodland etc. at the start.

GaryCocs wrote: »
    I'm guessing you're doing a new build or something but I would maybe reconsider how much ground you want to set as grass.

2.5 acres of lawn would be madnesss imo, I have 20% of that and I think it's too much at that. Should have planted more trees for woodland etc. at the start.

I wish it was a new build. It's an old house we bought and have renovated.

Grass is the cheapest option!! I had the land rented out, but its very fragmented and my heart was broke with sheep breaking out, etc.

I will plant more trees, shrubs, etc - but that is a long way out.

I'm not looking for it to be pure lawn grade either, it's just I need to either buy a new big mofo ride on, or go all in on the robots.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Bungusbeefcake

I wish it was a new build. It's an old house we bought and have renovated.

Grass is the cheapest option!! I had the land rented out, but its very fragmented and my heart was broke with sheep breaking out, etc.

I will plant more trees, shrubs, etc - but that is a long way out.

I'm not looking for it to be pure lawn grade either, it's just I need to either buy a new big mofo ride on, or go all in on the robots.

I totally understand your pain. We are in the exact same boat. Bought a house last year on 4 acres, 3+ of which are lawn and field. Working it at the moment, bought an Ambrogio 350i Elite for up to 1.75 acres and working on installing that now on about 6,500m2. Turned about 0.75 into a single paddock and my wife got 3 alpacas to eat the grass. Will turn the other 0.75ish into another paddock which we can use for rotating off the first one. We'll see how it goes ourselves, but with the huge growth over the past 4 weeks, the alpacas aren't able to keep on top of it so I'll have to trim their field with a rental.

I got the Ambrogio from a guy in the UK for £3,200 but the shipping was a pain because of dangerous goods because the single battery is over the limits for an exemption. The installation is going ok though and I hope to have it at least running on the lawn section (2-2,500 m2) first while I fix the field a bit (fill in holes, get it rolled to flatten it more as it's got cow holes from rogue cows that broke in and tractor tracks) and then finish the installation on the field and get it doing that too.

Hopefully will work out in the end.

• Advertisement

I totally understand your pain. We are in the exact same boat. Bought a house last year on 4 acres, 3+ of which are lawn and field. Working it at the moment, bought an Ambrogio 350i Elite for up to 1.75 acres and working on installing that now on about 6,500m2. Turned about 0.75 into a single paddock and my wife got 3 alpacas to eat the grass. Will turn the other 0.75ish into another paddock which we can use for rotating off the first one. We'll see how it goes ourselves, but with the huge growth over the past 4 weeks, the alpacas aren't able to keep on top of it so I'll have to trim their field with a rental.

I got the Ambrogio from a guy in the UK for £3,200 but the shipping was a pain because of dangerous goods because the single battery is over the limits for an exemption. The installation is going ok though and I hope to have it at least running on the lawn section (2-2,500 m2) first while I fix the field a bit (fill in holes, get it rolled to flatten it more as it's got cow holes from rogue cows that broke in and tractor tracks) and then finish the installation on the field and get it doing that too.

Hopefully will work out in the end.

Thanks, good to know about the shipping. I haven't priced around too much for the Ambrogio, but I did see a german site selling the Husq 350X at 650E less than the best price here. If I do need 2 or even 3, that's a big saving.

I haven't looked into the Alpacas. Much to keeping them? My wife is mad to get some horses, as we have other land around the house too. But the alpacas may be a good alternative. Not far off the price of a robo mower though. What is their square meter coverage like?:D:D Looks like it may be around 1000m2

• Registered Users Posts: 21,142 ✭✭✭✭Water John

Pluck their wool once a year. Used to knit some luxury goods. Low maintenance.
    Now this is going off topic.
    You also have a big trend towards a biodiverse sward, esp in public spaces. Would suit larger areas.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Daithi_OO

very interested in feedback on the Ambrogios and they do sound better than the Husquavarna -- there is a comparison video on woodproducts website. Obviously biased but it makes sense

I guess after sales service and guarantees are also a big deal. Anyone have experience with Ambrogio after sales customer service. I think Doyles out of carlow is the distributor.

I have about 3000 SQmtrs and looking at AMbrogio L250i or 4.0 elite

Appreciate any feedback

• Registered Users Posts: 3,362 ✭✭✭randombar

Thanks, good to know about the shipping. I haven't priced around too much for the Ambrogio, but I did see a german site selling the Husq 350X at 650E less than the best price here. If I do need 2 or even 3, that's a big saving.

I haven't looked into the Alpacas. Much to keeping them? My wife is mad to get some horses, as we have other land around the house too. But the alpacas may be a good alternative. Not far off the price of a robo mower though. What is their square meter coverage like?:D:D Looks like it may be around 1000m2

The mother has two shetlands, the farmers over the road call them ornaments but they do a decent job on 2 acres. Hardy out and not much minding in them.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 StoneyRiver

Hi all. Love this thread. It inspired me to get an automower and I love it.

I finished a self build 2 years ago and went straight for a 430x once the lawn was established. Still haven't kerbing so am strimming to keep it tidy. Now i have a few bob to put in kerbs.

Has anyone a kerbing solution which allows their automower cut to the edge of the lawn and keeps strimming to a minimum?

• Registered Users Posts: 150 ✭✭Bedouin79

or

Why not get https://www.ambrogiorobot.com/en/models/view/l400i-basic-2020

One robot to do it all admittedly a bit more expensive. In the process of buying and installing

https://www.ambrogiorobot.com/en/models/view/l250i-elite-s-2020

Will report back.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,910 ✭✭✭Citizenpain

Hi all. Love this thread. It inspired me to get an automower and I love it.

I finished a self build 2 years ago and went straight for a 430x once the lawn was established. Still haven't kerbing so am strimming to keep it tidy. Now i have a few bob to put in kerbs.

Has anyone a kerbing solution which allows their automower cut to the edge of the lawn and keeps strimming to a minimum?

If you keep the soil flush/slightly proud of the kerb you should be fine apparently

Looking to buy a 430x and an import seems to be 400 cheaper . Is that right or do you get an installation kit or anything more with the price here?
    I would prefer to pay local and have the peace of mind but 400 is a lot.
    Also is crossing tarmac an issue. Does it ruin it or is it tidy enough ?

• Registered Users Posts: 93 ✭✭murfler

If you keep the soil flush/slightly proud of the kerb you should be fine apparently

That will not help, robots front wheel will go over Kerb and get stuck..having no kerbing and just grass level with finished driveway is the best solution in my opinion

• Advertisement

murfler wrote: »
    That will not help, robots front wheel will go over Kerb and get stuck..having no kerbing and just grass level with finished driveway is the best solution in my opinion

D’oh , makes sense

Advertisement