Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

22" FULL HD 1080P LED Hitachi - €199.99

• 20-04-2011 9:57pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

Here

Was €364.99, now €209.99

On their homepage it states that if you spend €100 or more, you get a €10 voucher, so net price is €199.99

Just reserved one in Liffey Valley, there's 2 left. Which is usually a good sign for availability in other stores

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 65,717 ✭✭✭✭unkel

Download the manual here

It's even got a built-in 1080P mediaplayer :eek:

Supported formats:

156059.jpg

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 449 ✭✭_dof_

Just to note from the details on the Argos page for this TV:

"This TV will not work with digital signals in the Republic of Ireland, you will require a digital set top box or satellite source"

So it looks like it's not Saorview compatible, and if you get your TV signal from an aerial it will stop being useful as a TV next year when the analogue signal is switched off.

Thanks for the note! I spotted that myself but forgot to add it to my posts. Just to note that Saorview will work with ANY TV, as long as you're using a set top box, as supplied by Sky, UPC, etc.

The telly I reserved is going to go in the bedroom of a family member where there is a UPC set top box

I checked a few stores closest to me and some have none, some have one. Someone is reading this thread :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Yep MPEG2 only ( UK standard), need MPEG4 for Saorview ( Surely it should be RadharcSaor ).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

unkel wrote: »
    Saorview will work with ANY TV, as long as you're using a set top box, as supplied by Sky, UPC, etc.

A Sky or a UPC box will NOT give you Saorview.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    A Sky or a UPC box will NOT give you Saorview.

Not sure what you're on about and maybe my terminology isn't up to scratch, but with Sky or UPC you will be able to watch the Irish channels as usual after 2012...

No need for an MPEG4 television. No need for a special Saorview set top box.
    rte.ie wrote:
    Do I need to switch over to Saorview if I have UPC or Sky TV?

No. You will continue to get all the Irish channels on UPC and Sky

Linky

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,818 ✭✭✭Minstrel27

Not sure what you're on about and maybe my terminology isn't up to scratch, but with Sky or UPC you will be able to watch the Irish channels as usual after 2012...

Saorview is Digital Terrestrial Television through a television aerial. This will give you RTÉ One, RTÉ Two HD, TV3, TG4, 3e, RTÉ News Now, RTÉ One+1, RTÉ Jr and Digital Aertel. All of these are not available via Sky or UPC so I was correct to state that Saorview is NOT available through a Sky or UPC set top box.

Minstrel27 wrote: »
    Saorview is Digital Terrestrial Television through a television aerial. This will give you RTÉ One, RTÉ Two HD, TV3, TG4, 3e, RTÉ News Now, RTÉ One+1, RTÉ Jr and Digital Aertel. All of these are not available via Sky or UPC so I was correct to state that Saorview is NOT available through a Sky or UPC set top box.

I'm sure you were correct :)

Was I (and rte.ie) also correct that you will still get all the current Irish stations via your UPC / sky box no matter what ancient old telly you got?

There seems to be a lot of scaremongering about these days. "Don't buy that telly or your telly will stop working by the end of next year" :eek: UNTRUE!!!

Saorview is the most overstated thing in media I have come across in 20 years...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Once you have a UPC/Sky box you're sorted.

Soarview...pffft! Hahaha. Nice deal, i'm on the look out for a monitor, i think i'll pass on this and get something that's an actual monitor, rather than tv though.

• Advertisement

Soarview...pffft! Hahaha.

+1 :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,507 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Soarview goes right over my head. Saorview, on the other hand, confuses my bilinguality BS detector.

OT: A very good monitor, which also would double as a good TV for anyone who wants one...

Not your ornery onager

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,394 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

given the tuner in this isn't much good in ireland, would one of these be a better buy?
    http://www.komplett.ie/Komplett/site/SearchResult.aspx?searchTerm=samsung%2024%20lcd&gclid=CICmgp7Hr6gCFQoZ4Qodexn_HA

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,056 ✭✭✭✭BostonB

I'm sure you were correct :)

Was I (and rte.ie) also correct that you will still get all the current Irish stations via your UPC / sky box no matter what ancient old telly you got?

There seems to be a lot of scaremongering about these days. "Don't buy that telly or your telly will stop working by the end of next year" :eek: UNTRUE!!!

Saorview is the most overstated thing in media I have come across in 20 years...

The point is if you want to use a TV without a STB, for example you don't want to pay for an extra box from Sky or UPC, and just want the Irish stations then having SaorView is useful.

Or if you don't want to pay for UPC or Sky at all, you can use freesat STB for the UK stations, and Saorview TV will give you the Irish stations. All free other than the equipment.

Equally the easiest way to get a good range of Irish and UK stations and a combined EPG is to get UPC or SKY.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 370 ✭✭craze7

Would this tv play mkv files through the usb input?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 422 ✭✭Nonmonotonic

Esel wrote: »
    Soarview goes right over my head.
    Boom, Boom :)
    Your reception would be a bit sketchy.

Both unkel AND Minstrel27 are correct. Saorview is a digital service which cannot be received by an analogue receiver. SKY/UPC boxes have SCART ( analogue) connectors to connect to TV. So when Ireland 'Goes Digital' the old (analogue) receivers will be unless they are connected to SKY/UPC or Saorview box ( they all convert from digital to analogue).

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,713 ✭✭✭GerardKeating

Here

Was €364.99, now €209.99

On their homepage it states that if you spend €100 or more, you get a €10 voucher, so net price is €199.99

Just reserved one in Liffey Valley, there's 2 left. Which is usually a good sign for availability in other stores

DID have a HANSPREEE 22" this weekend only for €149.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,083 ✭✭✭carbsy

DID have a HANSPREEE 22" this weekend only for €149.

And before the FULL HD (1080P) brigade come marching in.....There's feck all difference between FULL HD and 'HD Ready' (720P) with Sat TV signals as most are only 720P max.

Advertisement