Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Depression in football (and sports)

Options
  • 22-02-2015 6:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 794 ✭✭✭

Just read this article about depression in football. It makes some good points about how there is more that can be done to tackle the issue. It would be great to see high profile players use their image to bring more light to the problems of depression.

From personal experience, a lot of the lads that were involved in football around my area and school would be not open to voicing their mental wellbeing. Almost like it was taboo. However, it would great if players use their influence to show these lads that it's okay to talk, and seek advice from friends and professionals.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,533 ✭✭✭Donkey Oaty

This snippit from the article is a shocking reminder of how ignorant people can be about this killer condition - but on the plus side, we've come a long way since then.
    When Stan Collymore was diagnosed with clinical depression during his time with Aston Villa in 1998, his manager John Gregory was publicly cynical and echoed the thoughts of fans when he declared that Collymore was earning too much money to be depressed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,935 ✭✭✭WesternZulu

I read somewhere in the other thread on AH that the GAA actively promotes depression in other sports.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,563 ✭✭✭dd972

“Yes, yes, I know all the jokes. What else could I have expected at Highbury? But I went to Chelsea and to Tottenham and to Rangers, and saw the same thing: that the natural state of a football fan is bitter disappointment, no matter what the score.”
    ― Nick Hornby, Fever Pitch

• Registered Users Posts: 11,646 ✭✭✭✭El Weirdo

I read somewhere in the other thread on AH that the GAA actively promotes depression in other sports.

I heard that too.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,133 ✭✭✭Shurimgreat

I don't imagine its a big issue in the GAA. The life of an average gaelic footballer is miserable when they are playing. Training 4 or 5 nights a week, travelling all over the country, never get to see girlfriends, not able to party or go drinking most of the year, injured half the time or on the bench, suffering defeat a lot of the time. Its a miserable existance for one or two brief moments of pleasure during the year if that.

Depression in professional sport would largely be tied to a loss of earnings on retirement and the fact professional sports persons aren't used to ordinary 9-5 work like a gaelic footballer would be. Its hard to go from being centre of attention to being a relative nobody who has to find a proper job.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

I don't imagine its a big issue in the GAA. The life of an average footballer is miserable when they are playing. Training 4 or 5 nights a week, travelling all over the country, never get to see girlfriends, not able to party or go drinking most of the year, injured half the time or on the bench, suffering defeat a lot of the time. Its a miserable existance for one or two brief moments of pleasure during the year if that.

Depression in professional sport would largely be tied to a loss of earnings on retirement and the fact professional sports persons aren't used to ordinary 9-5 work like a gaelic footballer would be. Its hard to go from being centre of attention to being a relative nobody who has to find a proper job.

Are you serious? It's the best job in the world!

Are you serious? It's the best job in the world!

I meant a Gaelic footballer. Their life is tough enough. They don't get paid, only expenses. And some of them are unemployed. It's a dogs life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,284 ✭✭✭StewartGriffin

The life of an average footballer is miserable when they are playing. Training 4 or 5 nights a week, travelling all over the country, never get to see girlfriends, not able to party or go drinking most of the year, injured half the time or on the bench, suffering defeat a lot of the time. Its a miserable existance for one or two brief moments of pleasure during the year if that.

Well that will cheer them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 18 hellas

I don't imagine its a big issue in the GAA. The life of an average footballer is miserable when they are playing. Training 4 or 5 nights a week, travelling all over the country, never get to see girlfriends, not able to party or go drinking most of the year, injured half the time or on the bench, suffering defeat a lot of the time. Its a miserable existance for one or two brief moments of pleasure during the year if that.

Thinking depression has anything to do with how "good you have it".
    way to show you don't have a notion what you're talking about.

• Registered Users Posts: 583 ✭✭✭HardenendMan

I meant a Gaelic footballer. Their life is tough enough. They don't get paid, only expenses. And some of them are unemployed. It's a dogs life.

Oh right sorry, I misread your post.

• Advertisement

hellas wrote: »
    Thinking depression has anything to do with how "good you have it".
    way to show you don't have a notion what you're talking about.

And you clearly do ;)

We are talking about depression in the context of sport, I agree it doesn't have much to do with how good you have it and I didn't really make that point.

The point I made was people go from having a purpose and focus in life to a lot less when they retire or even when they are injured.

However, in or outside of football, financial worries and depression are linked, there is no question about that. Not in all cases but in a large number of cases. You just need to look at stats around depression and suicide in Ireland, Greece and similar countries duing the recession.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,582 ✭✭✭JayRoc

This is an odd post. I get the impression you're confusing clinical "depression" with being depressed.

And you clearly do ;)

Well. Far more than you do about depression if you honestly believe the **** that you wrote.

Well. Far more than you do about depression if you honestly believe the **** that you wrote.

Well out with it so. Tell us your qualifications, since clearly you are an expert. Hopefully its not of the self appointed kind.

Well out with it so. Tell us your qualifications, since clearly you are an expert. Hopefully its not of the self appointed kind.

Don't need a qualification to have a basic understanding of depression. Unlike you, who simply thinks it's because things aren't as good as they were that people spiral into it.

Don't need a qualification to have a basic understanding of depression. Unlike you, who simply thinks it's because things aren't as good as they were that people spiral into it.

In other words you know as much as the next guy. Thought so.

Welcome to boards.ie by the way ;)

In other words you know as much as the next guy. Thought so.

Welcome to boards.ie by the way ;)

Yeah, unless you have qualification in a subject it means you know the same about it as everyone else. obviously.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,744 ✭✭✭diomed

Don't the GAA have an ad on tv about depression? The one where the player who has every medal possible except one, and the other team get a free, and you know, you just know, that their freetaker is going to score a point, and he does. The chance of getting all the medals is gone. Devastated, utterly devastated.

Advertisement