Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Preparation for reclaiming house from tenants in order to sell

Options
  • 29-04-2019 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭

Any advice please?

Currently waiting for my tenants to move out. They are 2 months over notice but waiting on keys to new house so nothing I can do with regard to that. The annoying thing is trying to plan eg organise painters etc as want house on market asap.

Any tips on how best prepare? What do I need to consider regarding utilities etc? Is the onus on them to take away all their rubbish? I expect some stuff to be left but I can request that right? Same goes for cleaning I guess but realistically I will be painting the place and getting contract cleaners in afterwards.

Anything else I need to be thinking about?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

Yes the onus is on them to take their possessions with them which includes rubbish. It is relatively expensive to get a place painted so is it needed? Rarely would it make much difference to a sale price to be worth while. Replacing carpets is generally cheaper and a better to spruce up a place

• Registered Users Posts: 9,002 ✭✭✭mad m

While I agree with Ray above, depending on sale price ,new home buyers haven’t a pot to piss in once a sale goes through. So it might sell quicker if it’s inviting. Nothing wrong in getting whole place a once over. White everywhere or cream on walls.

OP do you know the condition of house? How long are currents tenants in. Are they professionals or is it a family with kids.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,364 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

While making a property as appealing as possible makes sense it is only viable if it can make a difference. In the current market that is unlikely.
    The other issue is the smell of fresh paint is a warning of covering up things usually damp. People are told to be wary on those ground.
    OP your call but unless really needed I would avoid painting

• Registered Users Posts: 753 ✭✭✭badboyblast

Paint the place, de clutter, ensure the garden is tip top etc, put alot of effort into making the house the best you can, if people want to inspect for damp they can, fresh paint won`t cover this, I would even put a budget together to get work done to the house.

Depending on the value of the property I would look at actually renting furniture and getting a company in to arrange the house before you get it on the market.

Some people go interest only for the last 6 months before they sell a house and use the money to pump into the property to spruce it up.

Money well spent, the house will look better and will sell quicker.

• Registered Users Posts: 119 ✭✭Cat_M

Paint the place, de clutter, ensure the garden is tip top etc, put alot of effort into making the house the best you can, if people want to inspect for damp they can, fresh paint won`t cover this, I would even put a budget together to get work done to the house.

Depending on the value of the property I would look at actually renting furniture and getting a company in to arrange the house before you get it on the market.

Some people go interest only for the last 6 months before they sell a house and use the money to pump into the property to spruce it up.

Money well spent, the house will look better and will sell quicker.

Thanks all. It's a family of young children. There for a good number of years so pretty grubby as a cursory visit a few months back. Garden needs a good going over. Have mixed views on the painting. If it's grubby, it will clean it up. When I bought it from a family the carpet was MANKY but it didn't deter me. Horses for courses maybe...

What's the deal on utilities? Transfer back to me I guess as the house will need ESB...

• Advertisement
Advertisement