Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Identity Crisis ! Cool Newbie V member

Options
  • 09-09-2001 5:59pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 44

On Saturday morning i was a cool newbie with an Avatar.
    Saturday night I became a junior member and had lost my Avatar :(
    Sunday morning I get kenny back but now i'm a member
    Call it picking holes" But if i'm going to be "LABELED"

Can I have "cool newbie"
    back?

When I grow up to become a SENIOR MEMBER What does a senior member Become?

Sunday Night "Pathetic Earthling!" Brilliant, that'll do :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

moved to admin

• Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

hey Relative,have u noticed that all the little admin guys dont have their clean row of shiny stars....:eek:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 44 Relative

moved to admin
    Is this a promotion or a demotion ? I thought it was quite apropriate in After Hours ? :)
    hey Relative,have u noticed that all the little admin guys dont have their clean row of shiny stars....
    It seems to me that there is a "Heirachy" and some wish to be seen to be more important then others ? :)

But I do like the new look

• Registered Users Posts: 3,274 ✭✭✭Monty - the one and only

Hmm

Asking stuff about the board goes here not anywhere else.

Simple.

It would be the same as if you asked for counterstrike servers on the music board.

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Admin is the place for questions about the workings of Boards.ie

We've been making loads of changes today so stuff has changed rapidly.

Someone objected to being referred to as a "Pathetic Earthling" so i turned them into a newt.
    They wont get better either. :)

DeV.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 248 ✭✭jamiecake

yes o great one ,and do we get right in this boards or is it only the few who make it to the 5000 mark? i bet ye hate when new guys start......o sorry,"newit.."

• Business & Finance Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 32,387 Mod ✭✭✭✭DeVore

Jamie, when you get to know us better you'll understand the way things work around these here parts :)

Anyone can post here regardless of length of time on boards.

you'll notice it doesnt get much better as you progress... eventually you end up as a no-lifer....

Also, we have a laugh here. Nothing too serious. Please dont take it as superiority but you ARENT the first newbie to come barging in and demanding respect.

Respect is earned, and its not earned with post counts.

Have fun here!

DeVore.

Can I have "cool newbie"
    back?
    Many Thanks :)
    FROM DeVORE : Respect is earned, and its not earned with post counts.
    So it's quality rather then quantity - that's fair comment :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,289 ✭✭✭Q

I've reverted the member titles to the old BB ones.

Cool Newbie is back!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 6,265 CMod ✭✭✭✭MiCr0

Originally posted by jamiecake
    yes o great one ,and do we get right in this boards or is it only the few who make it to the 5000 mark? i bet ye hate when new guys start......o sorry,"newit.."

newt = type of reptile
    used as a threat in monty python afair

http://users.rcn.com/spiff.interport//main/Images/pictf/easternstrip.GIF

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 21,730 Mod ✭✭✭✭entropi

Originally posted by jamiecake
    or is it only the few who make it to the 5000 mark?
    I think HOBBES is the only person on boards with at least 5K posts, surely he's a loner in that area!!! no offence to ya hobbes but it oculd be true, i don't know for sure.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

Originally posted by Relative

Many Thanks :)

So it's quality rather then quantity - that's fair comment :)

yep. look at my post count and youll see the respect that i dont get.
    and i demand respect goddamn it!

huh! at least im old enough to go to the pub :)

• Registered Users Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Originally posted by Death Sentence
    I think HOBBES is the only person on boards with at least 5K posts, surely he's a loner in that area!!! no offence to ya hobbes but it oculd be true, i don't know for sure.

I think I was 5K 2 weeks ago. :p WW) is not far behind me.

My post count (and WWMans) may look high but actually they aren't. We have been around longer.

Richindub2 + Smoke me a kipper actually have more posts then us. (Might argue that Bard has too).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

Originally posted by Hobbes

Richindub2 + Smoke me a kipper actually have more posts then us. (Might argue that Bard has too).

Profile For Bard Search for all posts by this user.

Date Registered: 15-04-2000
    Total Posts: 3608 (6.98 posts per day)

Profile For richindub2 Search for all posts by this user.

Date Registered: 28-07-2000
    Total Posts: 3295 (7.98 posts per day)

Profile For smoke-me-a-kipper Search for all posts by this user.

Date Registered: 01-02-2001
    Total Posts: 3076 (13.68 posts per day)

Profile For Hobbes Search for all posts by this user.

Date Registered: 01-01-1970
    Total Posts: 6106 (0.53 posts per day)

Any chance of a more exact date for when you started posting hobbes? Otherwise smak wins the highest posts per day :)

• Registered Users Posts: 16,466 ✭✭✭✭astrofool

richindub2
    13-09-2001 07:55 PM This person is on your Ignore List. To view this post click [here]

music to my ears :)

(or a visual orgasm, whichever suits better....:cool: )

FROM DeVORE : Respect is earned, and its not earned with post counts.
    It seems that Death Sentence, Hobbes and richindub2 have the"mine is bigger then yours" mentality
    From JamieCake : hey Relative,have u noticed that all the little admin guys dont have their clean row of shiny stars....
    They are back and There is deffo a Elitest even snobby attitude of some users at boards.ie
    Its seems that maybe the more posts you have = more stars = the more important the contributor.
    But is it quantity or quality?

South_Park_1_-_Kenny.gif

Admin4.gifAdmin4.gifAdmin4.gifAdmin4.gifAdmin4.gifAdmin4.gif:)

• Registered Users Posts: 20,099 ✭✭✭✭WhiteWashMan

to be honest relative, its that sort of attitude that kinda p1$$es me off. seriously.
    i mean, what exactly would you have people do?
    not have little stars?
    these are the people who run the boards, they are the people who have put in the time, energy, and plenty of money to allow a community to come together and really talk $hite and have fun in one place. thats all this has ever been. a centre point for a certain community.
    we generally all get along here, we tolerate the muppets, because usually we really dont care what they say.
    but it is very annoying when people come in and start spouting out this rubbish about people.
    if i met you on the street, and said for example, 'youre mother is a whore' i dont think youd be very impressed. well, youve just met us on the internet......
    It seems that Death Sentence, Hobbes and richindub2 have the"mine is bigger then yours" mentality
    rubbish. hobbes has the most posts here simply because he works from home and spends his life on the internet. and the fact that he has no friends as well probably :)
    i havent seen that sort of attitude from the other guys either.
    just becaseu you see one post from someone that you feels is unfair, or unjust, or is just plain stupid.. well, dont take it personally. everyone posts rubbish sometimes. try to get to know people from the average post the make, not just one stupid comment on the 'i like donkeys' forum.
    They are back and There is deffo a Elitest even snobby attitude of some users at boards.ie
    Its seems that maybe the more posts you have = more stars = the more important the contributor.
    QUOTE]

rubbish. and anyway, who the hell cares how many stars you have. i mean do you seriously lay awake in your bed wishing for that extra star? if you want stars, go work in mcdonalds. i hear you get them for cleaning the toilets.
    afiak, stars are realted to most count. nothing more nothing less.
    so post 'lol' on ever joke on the humour forum and you'll start racken em up.
    But is it quantity or quality?

neither.
    either have a laugh or try and post something construstive.
    sarcasm is fine, but when you are dealing with the peole who run the board (who dont understand sarcasm or irony i might add) its best to address any issues you have directly. dont be snide and pathetic about it.
    and if you just want to post a load of rubbish and tripe, try the CS board.

the only rule is to use commen sense.
    as devore said, have fun.

god i wish the pub was open at this time of the morning.....

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,339 Mod ✭✭✭✭LoLth

I don't think number of posts has anything to do with whether a person gets respect or not, nor does it have an impact on how seriously that person is taken.

For example: I am mod of the literature board, Bob and NESF came on and posted intelligently and well. I give them respect and I'm fairly sure others do as well.

However, Damo once posted on the literature board.. i think it was damo anyway, with a "f**k off yis bastards!" type post. Despite a high post count, he quickly got edited (I very rarely edit or step in, has to be something I consider serious). As the person was a muppet (sorry Damo if it wasn't you!)

I don't think there is an elitist or snobby attitude on the boards.

Dev and Cloud Admin the boards: they make changes to the layout and content areas. They deserve recognition for what they do. A few shiny stars isn't a big price to pay is it?

The Mods: look after the content in particular areas. We stop people getting picked on, look out for the legality of things, protect the sensibilities of the board members. You may have a problem with a mod, but think of this community of ours without mods or worse! if everyone was a mod! Chaos! Anarchy! End of the world!!!! :)

The members etc: the labels are a bit of fun. Cool Newbie and Old Git are all the same really. It's just a laugh.

FROM WWM : to be honest relative, its that sort of attitude that kinda p1$$es me off.
    What attitude would that be then?
    FROM WWM :i mean, what exactly would you have people do?
    not have little stars?
    Yes why not and if they must have them put them in their profile along with their post's number?
    FROM WWM : a centre point for a certain community.
    Certain community. What's that?
    FROM WWM :we tolerate the muppets, because usually we really dont care what they say.
    but it is very annoying when people come in and start spouting out this rubbish about people.
    I think it is you who is the Muppet ? - What rubbish?
    FROM WWM :if i met you on the street, and said for example, 'youre mother is a whore' i dont think youd be very impressed. well, youve just met us on the internet......
    I think an apology might be in order here?
    FROM WWM :if you want stars, go work in mcdonalds. i hear you get them for cleaning the toilets.
    Another apology maybe :)
    FROM WWM :stars are realted to most count. nothing more nothing less.
    Well consider putting them in the profile along with the post count?
    FROM WWM :either have a laugh or try and post something construstive.
    If you have read this thread you might notice that I am the author and I think I have been constructive. I don't give a f..k about "stars & posts" but I am sure that some users are intimidated by "stars and the amout of 'posts' that occupy the left side of the "page"?
    It just something I think boards.ie should consider?

WhiteWashMan you replied almost immediately to my previous post, please take a little longer in future and then you might give a more reasonable reply. :)

South_Park_1_-_Kenny.gif

Drum roll please...

ghandi.gif

Thank you, thank you very much...

DeV.

• Advertisement

From DeVore :Thank you, thank you very much...

I'll take that as POINT TAKEN? or Can I expect the WRATH OF THE BOARDS CLIQUE? (click) :)

South_Park_1_-_Kenny.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 11,446 ✭✭✭✭amp

Actually, I think I'll adopt you as my pet newbie. I like 'em feisty. Also I award you bonus points for use of bold consistently. But if you want to stay fresh you might want to deversify into italics.

do these "post counts" and "stars" scare you ?

>It seems that Death Sentence, Hobbes and
    >richindub2 have the"mine is bigger then
    >yours" mentality

Please leave me out of your pleas of inadequacy.

If you must know I have been around since before the boards started (as does anyone else who doesn't have a start date). I think that is what.. 3 years? More?

>They are back and There is deffo a Elitest even >snobby attitude of some users at boards.ie

Yea ! I think we should ban Castor Troy as well!!

Muppet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,307 ✭✭✭richindub2

As has been said many times before, if you dont like it dont let the door hit your ass on the way to aol.com relative :p

Also, neil you meanie, ill make do with annoying you on irc and on ign :)

[Edit] Typing leetness.

Hobbes : My post count (and WWMans) may look high but actually they aren't. We have been around longer.

Hobbes : Please leave me out of your pleas of inadequacy
    If you must know I have been around since before the boards started (as does anyone else who doesn't have a start date). I think that is what.. 3 years? More?
    WHY?

ASTROFOOL :do these "post counts" and "stars" scare you ?
    Relative : If you have read this thread you might notice that I am the author and I think I have been constructive. I don't give a f..k about "stars & posts" but I am sure that some users are intimidated by "stars and the amout of 'posts' that occupy the left side of the "page"?
    It just something I think boards.ie should consider?

NO ! Are YOU AFRAID of losing your's?

Again it goes back to LABELS, Catogory's, Generalising and if "newbies" must earn the respect
    Devore : Respect is earned
    of those mod's, freaks, Admin's, etc then it must be RECIPROCATED :)

BEWARE THE WRATH OF THE BOARDS.IE CLIQUE :)

South_Park_1_-_Kenny.gif

[/IMG] star2.gifstar2.gifstar2.gifstar2.gif

>WHY?

I think I speak for everyone when I say "**** off" (work it out). Why do you post here? Only reason I see is to complain at how everyone else has more stars then you and a higher post count.

well boo fuking hoo.
    jeffythekitten.jpg

Relative to Moderator :
    Not too sure if complaining will do? But I seem to have "upset" hobbes + some others?
    You will find if you read the thread from beginning that I may have a valid point?
    Also I have contributed to many other posts including irelandoffline, afterhours without irritating too many members?
    So it would be GREATLY appreciated if you could "have a word" with hobbes (neil?) about his APPALLING use of language and his CLIQUE attitude?
    Thanks in advance and keep up the good work. I would HATE to think that other users (members) would have to put up with this BEHAVIOUR.
    Hobbes :I think I speak for everyone when I say "**** off"

I WOUL'NT BE TOO SURE ABOUT THAT !!

South_Park_1_-_Kenny.gif

Hang on while I tremble with fear. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

how about we call everybody "anon" and run the whole of the boards that way.

yea that would work....

People who have been here longer, know it better, same in every walk of life, u don't let a first year med student perform surgery on you do you ?

People get to know you as you post more, and can see the name and associate a personality type with that person, example: I see the name Ralative and I think of control freak wannabe.

And why should you get to decide what everybody else wants, most people like their stars, names, avatars, remove the individuality and discussion dies

cop on oh please

Advertisement