Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How does Google maps know about traffic?

Options
  • 18-06-2019 7:55am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭

The road turns red when there's heavy traffic. How does Google maps know this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Endaaaagh

I'm guessing from other users who may also be stopped in the traffic?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,604 ✭✭✭Day Lewin

Yes, exactly that: from the mobile phones locations.

These days every car contains at least one phone.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

It's always watching and always listening.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Can confirm

My phone beeped and then said "lookin good Johnny" right after I trimmed the pubes this morning pre shower.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,406 ✭✭✭PirateShampoo

Can confirm

My phone beeped and then said "lookin good Johnny" right after I trimmed the pubes this morning pre shower.

You was Face Timing your Mum.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,223 ✭✭✭✭biko

Another thread that could have been a google search

www.google.com/search?q=How+does+Google+maps+know+about+traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 2,994 ✭✭✭xabi

biko wrote: »

Most threads fall into that category... This is a discussion forum, and I think this topic is a good discussion point.

Do Apple use info from Google for their traffic, or do they use their own devices for that I wonder?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

biko wrote: »

This can open it to discussion I suppose. Do they rely on user reports of automatic updates. If the latter is it always on? Don’t remember agreeing to that.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

Exactly everyones phones, it sorts out drivers phones by pedastrians by motion style/speed.

Some errors but with large data sets it doesn;t matter ..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

*agents nodding*

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I don't think it's from Google users. My Tom Tom sees where there is heavy traffic. Tom Tom offered live traffic long before Google started their live traffic.

I always assumed that they got the information from the likes of DCC who monitor traffic throughout the city. I could be wrong.

Someone mentioned Apple maps. They are actively doing the rounds in Dublin right now. I have seen the apple maps car southside Dublin most days over the last two weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,426 ✭✭✭Neon_Lights

Pooled location data

• Registered Users Posts: 8,034 ✭✭✭mad muffin

We are part of the hive. The collective. We are one. We are borg. Resistance is futile. You will be assimilated.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,527 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Can confirm

I’d say that was funnier in your own head, lad.

The tide is turning…

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Google uses your location data/GPS if enabled on your phone and the system adjusts to the approximate delay and assumes traffic build up based on this.

Considering the massive amounts of apps that require location information/GPS then it's very common for more people to have it enabled now by default as these days it barely impacts battery life.

Apple would use the same system.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,065 ✭✭✭✭Odyssey 2005

Zuckerberg knows f'n everything !

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Apple maps. They are actively doing the rounds in Dublin right now. I have seen the apple maps car southside Dublin most days over the last two weeks.

Interesting. They have their own street view coming up.

Interesting. They have their own street view.

The big companies cog each other's map data anyway so they've started putting in fake places in maps to catch each other out

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Exactly everyones phones, it sorts out drivers phones by pedastrians by motion style/speed.

Some errors but with large data sets it doesn;t matter ..

My google fit app told me I'd had an afternoon cycle once. Turns out I was mowing the lawn

My google fit app told me I'd had an afternoon cycle once. Turns out I was mowing the lawn

Do you've a ride on mower?

• Advertisement

The big companies cog each other's map data anyway so they've started putting in fake places in maps to catch each other out

Map companies have been doing that for centuries.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trap_street

Also talking about google and data scrapping.

https://www.rollingstone.com/music/music-news/genius-google-stole-lyrics-morse-code-848781/

• Registered Users Posts: 16,881 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Interesting. They have their own street view coming up.

Yes definitely. I think it is a fight back to try get apple users away from Google maps

OSI wrote: »
    You did the second you agreed to allow the app to have access to your location data.

Not all the time. Not in the background. I suppose enough people use google maps foregrounded when travelling to generate enough info. And others don’t read the terms of the location pop up.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,237 ✭✭✭Sonics2k

Not all the time. Not in the background. I suppose enough people use google maps foregrounds when travelling to generate enough info. And others don’t read the terms of the location pop up.

With Android, by default, there's literally a box that crops up saying "Allow Location Data" and you can choose to Accept or Decline it. After Accepting it, you can still turn it off from the drop-down menu.

You literally accepted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Do you've a ride on mower?

Yep. Its a big lawn

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I don't think it's from Google users. My Tom Tom sees where there is heavy traffic. Tom Tom offered live traffic long before Google started their live traffic.

I always assumed that they got the information from the likes of DCC who monitor traffic throughout the city. I could be wrong.

They were around Cork too recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,475 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

I think it’s depending on users who allow location tracking outside using the app.

That way it builds a picture of the overall road traffic movement. I don’t think relying on people with the app open would be sufficient to build such an accurate picture.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

_Brian wrote: »
    I think it’s depending on users who allow location tracking outside using the app.

That way it builds a picture of the overall road traffic movement. I don’t think relying on people with the app open would be sufficient to build such an accurate picture.

That’s how it works. It’s pretty ridiculous the amount of personal information you give up to Google in return for using Android.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,190 ✭✭✭bobbyss

biko wrote:

Then what's the point of boards?

If everyone googled stuff there would be no need for boards.

Are you saying everybody should Google something before posting?

Shall we take a stroll down your posts and remind you of how many googles you could have done?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,474 ✭✭✭Obvious Desperate Breakfasts

I want to know how I’ll be discussing something obscure and will then see an ad for it on my phone. :eek:

Advertisement