Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Guy in work canteen passes snide remark about my drink

13»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,021 ✭✭✭✭anewme

Op, you really need to grow up if this type of thing bothers you that much that you write an essay on it.

As the others have said, if someone is being a dick, just them to fck off. And dont t think about it again after that.

Dont be overthinking it to the level of actually re enacting the conversation and what you should have said.

Life is hard OP, you wont get far if you get hung up on this load of rubbish. One of these days youll have a real problem to deal with and realise this is nonsense conversation.

He wouldn’t like me, all the water I drink is sparkling probably 2 liters of it a day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,742 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

In fairness the OP said pretty much that going by the account of things, they're only ranting about it on here. Knocking them out would be far better though and it wouldn't happen again.

Yeah but you cant go through life knocking people out if they annoy you. That only leads to a padded cell, a prison cell or a grave!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,845 ✭✭✭timthumbni

A fella at my work did something similar once. He’s polite enough now though so give it time.

He now puts the lotion on before he gets the hose again so everyone is happy...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I thought to myself, gee

Same, I'm always thinking about gee.

OP is obsessed with power dynamics. I assume he sees himself at the apex of the pecking order and questions the right of anyone to even speak to him without the deference he sees as his due.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

follow colm meany's lead in this clip

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,783 ✭✭✭✭kippy

A lot of armchair psychiatrists these days.

When you ask the series of questions that you've asked on this forum in recent times, you'd have to expect that you'll get a few observations that would not sit well with you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,235 ✭✭✭✭Cee-Jay-Cee

retalivity wrote: »
    You deserved a slap for saying 'dude' twice in normal conversation

But he’s American...isn’t he? Only an American could come up with 3 long paragraphs about a co-workers comments on his drink. Has to be American.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,040 ✭✭✭gw80

Maybe this guy is being sponsored by pepsi and ribbena and is contractually obliged to insert himself into any groups of people drinking and push the pepsi and ribbena angle on people,
    OP, does this guy drink his pepsi in a kind of unnatural way, like in the commercials, you know, holding the can or bottle with the name and logo showing at all times,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 65 ✭✭The pink killer

Dont think the guy meant any harm in what he was saying sparkling water is a bit rough to drink i often add a touch of juice to it myself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,245 ✭✭✭myshirt

Is this the guy op?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Fall_Guy

In fairness the OP said pretty much that going by the account of things, they're only ranting about it on here. Knocking them out would be far better though and it wouldn't happen again.

It probably wouldn't happen again alright....because you'd lose your job, or be charged with assault, or get lumps knocked out of you if the other guy happened to be a better fighter than and was willing to fight back.

Of course in the ideal scenario where you do manage to knock the guy out and don't get fired or arrested, the only negative would be that nearly every other person who witnessed it or heard about it would think you were an absolute knob for knocking someone out because they made fun of your choice of beverage.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Fall_Guy wrote: »
    It probably wouldn't happen again alright....because you'd lose your job, or be charged with assault, or get lumps knocked out of you if the other guy happened to be a better fighter than and was willing to fight back.

Of course in the ideal scenario where you do manage to knock the guy out and don't get fired or arrested, the only negative would be that nearly every other person who witnessed it or heard about it would think you were an absolute knob for knocking someone out because they made fun of your choice of beverage.

You don't do it there and then of course.

It's not just about a choice of beverage, the type of person to care enough to try and make a show of you about it needs a good fright for their own good and the good of everyone.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 9,078 ✭✭✭IAMAMORON

Ferajacka wrote: »
    Anyways I've done some research, this I feel is a simple matter of mathematics and figured it all out.
    Only pu$$ies drink pepsi - Fact.
    Sparkling water drinkers are marginally tougher than Pepsi drinkers. So the guy in the canteen was right.
    The coolest guy in the canteen must have been drinking still water which we all know makes you cool and toughness doesn't matter when your that cool.
    This is a theory only based on facts, but I do welcome any feedback, criticism or snide remarks.
    I drink 7up.

Me too, it's really tasty. Only out of a glass bottle however. Plastic is naaaaassty.

I can't stand people who drink sparkling water, they're destroying the environment ffs. Bastards.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,093 ✭✭✭Nobelium

Good grief.

8 pages and more to come about some who took the piss out of someone else's sparkling water.

Generation snowflake and their first world non problems - when will they reach peak mangina snowflake that's the real question ?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,229 ✭✭✭Sam Quentin

This is how whistle-blowers are created,.a cheeky off the cuff remark in the canteen.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 386 ✭✭Problem Of Motivation

Dont think the guy meant any harm in what he was saying.
    Harm was taken though.

It's not just about a choice of beverage, the type of person to care enough to try and make a show of you about it needs a good fright for their own good and the good of everyone.

That's a very low bar you are setting for who does or doesn't deserve to get knocked out. It's a throwaway comment. Do you really dig every person who directs a smart comment your way?

• Advertisement

That is true. It's not just what he said at that moment. It was the attitude behind it. The sparkling water only happened to be the catalyst.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

That's a very low bar you are setting for who does or doesn't deserve to get knocked out. It's a throwaway comment. Do you really dig every person who directs a smart comment your way?

It's more about the type that makes the comment at all than what was said.

gw80 wrote: »
    Maybe this guy is being sponsored by pepsi and ribbena and is contractually obliged to insert himself into any groups of people drinking and push the pepsi and ribbena angle on people,
    OP, does this guy drink his pepsi in a kind of unnatural way, like in the commercials, you know, holding the can or bottle with the name and logo showing at all times,
    I just have used this joke to poke fun back at him!

Harm was taken though.

So you understand that's your own choice then, yeah? If you know that no harm was meant, and you choose to take offence, its on you.

I really feel for you if this is real, because life must be bloody exhausting if things like this take up any space at all in your head. Try a bit of mindfulness or the likes buddy, no one should allow themselves to suffer over this sort of trivial stuff, there's enough real suffering waiting around the corner for all of us!

I'm not going to wait for him after work or anything. He's a smoking buddy of the boss.

But if he makes a remark like this again, I'll tell him the fcuk off before he's even finished what he's saying.

So you understand that's your own choice then, yeah? If you know that no harm was meant, and you choose to take offence, its on you.

I really feel for you if this is real, because life must be bloody exhausting if things like this take up any space at all in your head. Try a bit of mindfulness or the likes buddy, no one should allow themselves to suffer over this sort of trivial stuff, there's enough real suffering waiting around the corner for all of us!
    I could pat you on the head like a child without meaning offence, and you're telling me offence wouldn't be taken?

He meant offence though. But don't worry, I'm not all worked up about it like it appears.

• Advertisement

It's more about the type that makes the comment at all than what was said.

I don't agree with that mindset at all. I'd rather encounter a hundred smart arsed little feckers than one hardman who thinks it's OK to dig people over a lighthearted comment just because he's rationalised it as them "needing a fright" or to be straightened out or whatever.

There can obviously be times when physical force is necessary. Those times are very bloody rare in my opinion, and most of them can be avoided with a little common sense. You deeming someone to be the "type of person" who needs to get knocked out wouldn't qualify as one of those times in my book. But sure no ones reading it anyway, so keep swinging :D

I could pat you on the head like a child without meaning offence, and you're telling me offence wouldn't be taken?

He meant offence though. But don't worry, I'm not all worked up about it like it appears.

If someone patted me on the head like a child I would address the situation immediately if I cared enough about the person to want them to know I don't expect them to do that.

If I didn't care about the person I would probably make a smart arsed comment to let them know it wasn't appreciated and put them in their place without being aggressive.

In either case it would not take up much of my time once it was done.

Harm was taken though.

thats life

• Registered Users Posts: 938 ✭✭✭Ruraldweller56

When I saw this thread title I just got an image of some of disgruntled alco sitting down in the corner of the canteen sipping from a can of Dutch gold or linden village concealed in a brown paper bag and one of his work colleagues sauntering past muttering '****ing pisshead'.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,786 ✭✭✭wakka12

This couldnt be genuine thread, although if it is, I dont know how youre going to get through life OP

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,202 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

Did you know that there was once a short lived country called the Bavarian Soviet Republic after WW1 founded by communist revolutionaries.

It didn't last long. Only 25 days.

Their choice of ministers left a lot to be desired. The minister of foreign affairs had been in psychiatric hospitals several times.

He once sent a telegram to fellow communist revolutionary Vladimir Lenin saying the Bavarian president had stolen the key to the ministry toilet.

They were crushed after 25 days by German loyalists.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Yeah, I suppose. I enjoy the outraged replies though. He's a gas man altogether. A kind of simple version of yer man in Frankfurt living the high life.

My first thought when I read the opening post.

I wonder if AVB has a younger brother? :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 112 ✭✭Game of Thrones Fan

Drink what you wanna drink.

I don't like sparkling water

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,376 ✭✭✭Shemale

When he leaves his open Pepsi unattended you should pour it out and top it up with Coke soon that Pepsi smugness will disappear

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 51,293 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

God help After Hours when the OP encounters a real world problem.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭Sonny noggs

Shemale wrote: »
    When he leaves his open Pepsi unattended you should pour it out and top it up with Coke soon that Pepsi smugness will disappear

No, replace Pepsi with piss, he won’t spot the difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

Either blank him completely or give him a good slagging back so that everyone laughs at him.

If it continues and you think it’s a personal issue then pull him to one side and ask what the craic is.

Sometimes people are just fools and not as funny as they think they are.

Advertisement