Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

So much for reigning in the mental compo awards

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,093 ✭✭✭mathie

Good job he didn't pierce his foot on a spike Lynn.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,754 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Absolutely nuts. 80k for a cut on his arm. CIE owes me about half a million from playing around rail yards as a kid.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,969 ✭✭✭✭alchemist33

Now businesses who put up fences or walls to protect their properties will have to provide gates or stiles so that people can safely get through those barriers intended to keep them off the property

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Another settlement, not an award.

You can blame the insurance companies who are throwing their our money at these.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

No matter what the headlines say, there's no reigning in on compo awards.

There are a few headlines here or there where cases are thrown out but these are less much less than 1% of all claims.

Only about 5% of all claims actually reach court. The vast majority of them are settled in advance.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 594 ✭✭✭Force Carrier

It's a bit high.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

It was further claimed the fence was allegedly unstable and dangerous to persons particularly children who might attempt to climb it.

Surely any attempt at climbing any fence should result in you losing your ability to sue.

Surely any attempt at climbing any fence should result in you losing your ability to sue.

What if you were walking along outside the fence and you saw someone in cardiac arrest inside the fence and thought a little cpr could be helpful?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,119 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

They really should rein in these awards.

Obviously, reigning them in is having no effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,598 ✭✭✭robarmstrong

What if you were walking along outside the fence and you saw someone in cardiac arrest inside the fence and thought a little cpr could be helpful?

Circumstance is irrelevant, I am climbing over a fence that was not designed to be climbed over, I should lose my ability to sue for compensation due to this. Fences are not ladders, they are not meant/designed/supported to be subjected to a decent climb every now and again.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

Not in Ireland.
    I've even heard somewhere that Irish solicitors drop off prospective clients near high fences in the hope that they climb them, and if that doesn't work they bring them to lunch ..... hoping that they bang their leg off the table leg, which was outrageously covered with a table cloth in order to hide these dangerous devices. (If you hadn't heard, someone filed a lawsuit in Ireland and won a case against the restaurant for this exact scenario).

Circumstance is irrelevant, I am climbing over a fence that was not designed to be climbed over, I should lose my ability to sue for compensation due to this. Fences are not ladders, they are not meant/designed/supported to be subjected to a decent climb every now and again.

Not alone are there occassions when someone might lawfully need to climb a fence but the fact that that is so is forseeable by the occupier. This is one of the reasons why people design and build structurally sound fences every day of the week.
    Designing and building a sh1t fence that will collapse under any bit of force is a bad idea for lots of reasons including that someone making their way lawfully over the fence could injure themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,758 ✭✭✭✭BattleCorp

Not alone are there occassions when someone might lawfully need to climb a fence but the fact that that is so is forseeable by the occupier. This is one of the reasons why people design and build structurally sound fences every day of the week.
    Designing and building a sh1t fence that will collapse under any bit of force is a bad idea for lots of reasons including that someone making their way lawfully over the fence could injure themselves.

Was the kid climbing in over the fence one of those lawful occasions?

Correct me if I'm wrong but there is no proof that there was anything wrong with the fence. Counsel for the plaintiff alleged that the fence was dodgy (as they would) and Counsel for the defendant says that it wasn't. If the judge 'approved' the settlement, then he didn't make a judgement one way or another on liability.

On the foreseeable aspect of the case, any fence is climbable.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

Unlike the thread about the girl being awarded €30,000 for getting a table in the face this one lives up to its title.

He had no business climbing into someones property. Tough shit if he got injured. If that had happened to me when I was 13 I probably wouldn't even have told my parents that I had been breaking and entering.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

another victory for stupid.

and the legal profession.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

seamus wrote: »
    Another settlement, not an award.

You can blame the insurance companies who are throwing their our money at these.

The reason that there is a settlement is because the insurance companies know that judges give huge unjustified awards

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

Being discussed in the other thread, I think we have enough of them now.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement