Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do people self-segregate a lot by gender in Ireland?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Anteayer wrote: »
    It's a lot different from removing kids from the normally environment of having males and females for most of their lives from age 4 to 18.

I wouldn’t consider an institution a normal environment in the first place tbh, but since it’s important to take context into consideration, these are educational institutions we’re talking about where the teaching staff are predominantly female, as opposed to historically the predominant sex involved in children’s education were male. I could get into asking what you consider a normal environment for children, but it appears that what is or isn’t normal is determined by context, which is entirely subjective.

Males and females don’t have a situation where they’re differently able in academic contexts. Men are generally bigger and more more muscular than woman (by 10% on average) so you’ve an issue in elite support, but that doesn’t cross into academic ability in anyway and there’s tons of psychological measurement of those abilities to back that up.

That seems to be what this entire discussion about single sex vs unisex education is based upon - the idea that girls and boys learn in different ways and thrive in different educational environments. As it turns out, there are professions which are dominated by one sex or the other, so the idea of single-sex education not being a reflection of society simply couldn’t be further from the truth. In reality - it depends upon context.

The Irish 30%+ of public schools being gender segregated is very weird by international norms and if you’re in some areas, notably central Dublin coeducational options are few and far between.
    That's actually become a big issue now for parents in areas like Dublin 8 and Stoneybatter. You've areas that were quite traditional and have a lot of single sex chills and now you've a population that's got an expectation of being able to access 21st century education, yet is faced with lots of options, all of which are traditional religious ethos single sex schools.

By “international norms”, do you mean in the context of just European countries, or are you actually considering a global perspective? Because if you’re just talking about a European context, you’d be wrong, as 30% single sex schools is about the norm for most European countries, and from a global perspective? I’m not sure you could be more wrong as there are plenty of countries where single-sex education is the predominant means of education as opposed to unisex or coed education.

What you actually have in Ireland already in reality is 21st century education. Maybe you’re confusing 21st century Irish education with 21st century Islam or Feminism where children are taught that boys are dangerous and girls should be made aware of this, backed up by this kind of stuff -

The director of the Rape Crisis Network Ireland said it found that almost 40% of children who were victims of sexual violence were abused by another child.

If that’s considered normal, I’m not sure why anyone would want their children being taught those sorts of ideas In school, unless it was something the parents themselves already believed about either themselves or the opposite sex.

The notion that parents have lots of choices here is largely false. Your choices are limited by geography and also your choices can be you can have any type of school you like from this selection where 93% of them are religious ethos and 90% are Catholic.

And 70% are coed.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

By “international norms”, do you mean in the context of just European countries, or are you actually considering a global perspective? Because if you’re just talking about a European context, you’d be wrong, as 30% single sex schools is about the norm for most European countries, and from a global perspective? I’m not sure you could be more wrong as there are plenty of countries where single-sex education is the predominant means of education as opposed to unisex or coed education.

Us that wishful thinking or do you actually have any stats to support that.

As far as I know single sex countries are most common in Muslim countries and British colonies. And very few in the rest of Europe.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,500 ✭✭✭✭DEFTLEFTHAND

Human nature.

meeeeh wrote: »
    Us that wishful thinking or do you actually have any stats to support that.

As far as I know single sex countries are most common in Muslim countries and British colonies. And very few in the rest of Europe.

Interactive map of Europe, gives a pretty good breakdown of the different single sex schools at different levels and whether they are funded publicly, privately, or a mix of both public and private funding, when you click on each country -

http://www.easse.org/en/europe/

You’d be right about former British colonies and Muslim countries too, but my point was really that the discussion as to which type of education, whether it’s single sex or unisex was better for children and for society, predates Christianity or Catholicism by a few centuries at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,070 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn

TBH it's something I've never understood. I went to mixed primary & secondary schools, and the idea of a single sex school or work environment is so odd to me.

Like Eviltwin said, the amount of people who freak out about their partner having a drink after work with a member of the opposite sex is crazy. Or having a friend of the opposite sex. Etc etc. You see it in PI all the time.

How many close female friends would an average married guy have? Not that many, or none. I'd have been surprised if my Dad's best friend was a woman growing up.

In certain times of life, yes, there is a larger mixed group. In fact my group is often mixed as my GF is friends with another friend's wife, and there are other intersections as well. I'd prefer a lads night out many a night but one or two of my once partying male friends are on a tight leash.

Mixed groups isn't the same as strong friendships between the sexes. Thats rare as people age.

I don't think its unique to Ireland, nor anything to do with single sex schools. After all many Irish urban dwellers ( cities an small towns) grow up in housing estates where the population of children is mixed.

Interactive map of Europe, gives a pretty good breakdown of the different single sex schools at different levels and whether they are funded publicly, privately, or a mix of both public and private funding, when you click on each country -

Sweden is one of countries with single sex public education according that map. Six weeks in one school.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/after-40-years-of-mixed-education-swedish-school-ruffles-feathers-with-singlesex-classes-554892

Slovenia is on a list and I don't which schools exactly are they talking about. Only single sex education I came accros was separate Sunday school classes for my year because they couldn't control us. PE was also segregated but that's about it.

That map is more wishful thinking than any serious look at segregated education. Not to mention 30%.

The fact that some people chose it doesn't mean it's particularly beneficial or normal by developed country standards and time and time again it's pointed out that they usually pluck comparisons between UK Comprehensive Schools and UK Independent schools which are traditionally way more academically focused anyway and conclude the reason for the performance difference is single gender.

I just think many in Ireland have an extremely archaic view of what education is.

Again, though, it should be clear that if single sex schools were detrimental to academic performance then private schools probably wouldn't have them. There might be plenty of reasons why girls in particular do better in single sex schools, less hormones and harassment from the boys, more ability to speak up in class (boys being more aggressive). Of course the curriculum should be the same.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,978 ✭✭✭Paulzx

The solution is mandatory pupil gender quotas in single sex schools.

Er...:confused: sorry. I thought gender quotas were the solution to everything now

You’d be right about former British colonies and Muslim countries too, but my point was really that the discussion as to which type of education, whether it’s single sex or unisex was better for children and for society, predates Christianity or Catholicism by a few centuries at least.

Well muslim countries reverse the trend, private schools are mixed, public schools are segregated.

• Advertisement

Sweden is one of countries with single sex public education according that map. Six weeks in one school.

https://www.newstalk.com/news/after-40-years-of-mixed-education-swedish-school-ruffles-feathers-with-singlesex-classes-554892

Slovenia is on a list and I don't which schools exactly are they talking about. Only single sex education I came accros was separate Sunday school classes for my year because they couldn't control us. PE was also segregated but that's about it.

That map is more wishful thinking than any serious look at segregated education. Not to mention 30%.

No it isn’t? It’s classified as “Existence of single-sex education programmes in public schools”, and I wouldn’t just pick out one school as evidence of a whole lot? So what? There’s plenty of international evidence to suggest that Sweden’s education system has been in decline for years -

Benchmarking internationally

The quality of Swedish education has been keenly debated over the past decade, following declining results among Swedish students in international comparisons. Sweden has moved to improve performances and to raise the status of the teaching profession for long-term benefits.

International studies such as Programme for International Student Assessment (PISA) and Trends in International Mathematics and Science Study (TIMSS) have indicated a deteriorating performance among Swedish children in recent years.

Most recently, the Organisation for Economic Co-operation and Development (OECD), which is behind the PISA assessment, followed up on the trends in May 2015 with a detailed review of Sweden’s educational quality.

The study, done on the request of the Swedish Government, confirms that Sweden needs to improve the quality of education and in particular raise the performance level of students in reading, math and science. This can be seen in light of Sweden having invested a larger share of its GDP on education (6.8 per cent) compared with the OECD average (5.6 per cent) in 2014.

Education In Sweden

This is exactly why I’m not depending upon your own experience of education in Slovenia or any other European countries for that matter. By that standard the only co-ed I came across is what we used call “The Tec”, and they were considered by some people to be schools for academic underachievers. I don’t adhere to that belief though because I know they’re simply a different type of education. The fact that the top 10 schools in Ireland are dominated by single-sex schools is measured by a different standard.

In case you want evidence for that too -

The Top Secondary Schools in Ireland Have Been Revealed

No it isn’t? It’s classified as “Existence of single-sex education programmes in public schools”, and I wouldn’t just pick out one school as evidence of a whole lot? So what? There’s plenty of international evidence to suggest that Sweden’s education system has been in decline for years -

Education In Sweden

This is exactly why I’m not depending upon your own experience of education in Slovenia or any other European countries for that matter. By that standard the only co-ed I came across is what we used call “The Tec”, and they were considered by some people to be schools for academic underachievers. I don’t adhere to that belief though because I know they’re simply a different type of education. The fact that the top 10 schools in Ireland are dominated by single-sex schools is measured by a different standard.

In case you want evidence for that too -

The Top Secondary Schools in Ireland Have Been Revealed

The question is where you got stats that 30% schools Europe are single sex. You are writting novels and linking maps. The only thing you didn't supply is the source of information on basis of which you claim 30% of schools in Europe are single sex. All I can conclude from your posts is that you are presenting bs you invent as fact.

I have no intention discussing merits of Swedish school system with you. And I'm certain you will also claim you know more about Slovenian school system than me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 886 ✭✭✭Anteayer

The % of fee paying schools on that list is enormously high, yet the focus is on how they're single sex?!

Basically, all that list shows is that if you've a barrier fee, you get better results as your mix of students is not as broad.

I mean what do Pres (PBC) and Scoil Mhuire in Cork have in common? Other than many of the kids who go to them are from exactly the same kind of demographic background - upper middle class Cork City.

In Ireland the majority of mixed schools are modern community schools. Also results wise, I don't know if they do any worse - they just have a much broader range of students and ranges of subjects that go from academic to practical.

You'd have to do a far more in-depth study actually looking at how similar profiles of students perform to get a real comparison. Otherwise you're just comparing one demographic with a different demographic that's on average from a wealthier background. It's a pretty pointless league table tbh.

There is plenty of research that doesn't support single sex schools are beneficial and there is plenty of research that claims the opposite. The only reason why we are discussing academic achievements in different schools is because One eyed Jack can't provide source for 30% of European schools being single sex. It's diversion.

30% of European schools aren't single sex. 30% of Irish ones are. I'd be surprised if 2% were in most European countries except for Ireland and Britian.
    The majority of schools in Ireland are coeducational, except in the cities where you've more traditional schools.

If you grew up in post 1970s rural or suburban Ireland you likely encountered modern public coeducational schools.

If you grew up in an older suburb or one of the cities, you likely see single sex education as normal as that's what you'd have been familiar with.

How many close female friends would an average married guy have? Not that many, or none.

I have one. Almost had a second but she moved away last year. I'd be typical of married men in their mid 40s, and I'd say many have no female friends. Some would have no friends at all other than work acquaintances and husbands of their wife's friends.

• Advertisement

The question is where you got stats that 30% schools Europe are single sex. You are writting novels and linking maps. The only thing you didn't supply is the source of information on basis of which you claim 30% of schools in Europe are single sex. All I can conclude from your posts is that you are presenting bs you invent as fact.

I have no intention discussing merits of Swedish school system with you. And I'm certain you will also claim you know more about Slovenian school system than me.

I provided a source for the fact that Ireland is not in any way weird or abnormal because in many European countries 30% of their schools are single-sex, and internationally there are countries with a far greater representation of single-sex schools in their education system. I had no intention of discussing the merits or otherwise of either the Swedish or Slovenian school systems with you until you brought them up specifically, and I can’t claim to know more about the Slovenian education system than you do, simply because I don’t know how much you know about the Slovenian education system.

My point was simply that I wouldn’t base my opinions of any education system solely on the experiences of either one individual, one school, or one country, and I certainly wouldn’t import an education system wholesale from another country and think I could apply it to Ireland under the pretence of giving people more choices for their children’s education that they simply aren’t interested in.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I have to agree with them. Even though we are friendly, there's still can be a barrier between men and women who are friends that you don't see in other nations. Is it the Catholicism?

I believe its because we get separated at school. I was in a mixed class for infants and high infants. For primary & secondary school we were separated. I don't believe this is the best way to go

There is plenty of research that doesn't support single sex schools are beneficial and there is plenty of research that claims the opposite. The only reason why we are discussing academic achievements in different schools is because One eyed Jack can't provide source for 30% of European schools being single sex. It's diversion.

The reason we are discussing academic achievement in schools is because some parents care more about academic achievement than politics and philosophy. That’s why as long as they’ve been around, ET schools haven’t really been very successful in this country.

The reason we are discussing academic achievement in schools is because some parents care more about academic achievement than politics and philosophy. That’s why as long as they’ve been around, ET schools haven’t really been very successful in this country.

You still didn't reply which countries are among 'many in Europe that have 30% single sex education'.

You still didn't reply which countries are among 'many in Europe that have 30% single sex education'.

I did provide you with a source for what I said, and you chose to dismiss it as wishful thinking in favour of your own individual experience. Fair enough like, but you can’t say a source wasn’t provided as evidence that what I said was fact.

• Advertisement

I was just looking through the details of the Slovenian education system (looked at OECD and EU reports) and it seems that it would have its origins in a more soviet influenced era. It's 100% secular (if publicly funded which about 99% of schools are ) and there's actually no evidence that there are any single-sex schools at all.

From what I can see, you couldn't have picked a worse example of a place with gender-segregated schools.

To quote the department of education here itself :
    In assessing subject take up by gender in Irish education, it is worth remembering that approximately 36 per cent of second-level pupils in Ireland today attend single-sex schools. In a majority of European countries, there are no single sex schools and only a very small minority of pupils attend single sex education in the remaining countries. Unfortunately, internationally comparable data on gender differences in subject take-up at second level do not yet exist. It would be interesting to develop international data in this area because of Ireland’s distinctiveness among European countries in having such a significant proportion of single-sex schools.

https://www.education.ie/en/Publications/Statistics/Se-Si-Gender-in-Irish-Education-Introduction-to-Chapter-9.pdf

I've lived on the continent (in several countries in Western Europe) and single sex education is very much a peculiarity of Britain and Ireland and much more so Ireland than Britain. It's practically unheard of in France for example and considered really weird.

The topic doesn't even tend to come up much as it's pretty much taken as a given that EU countries have mixed schools. I mean it would be like doing a report on single-sex universities. You'd get a look of disbelief that such a thing could even exist by many people.

We're very much the outlier on this topic.

The Irish and British fixation on school uniforms is also quite weird by international standards. It's something almost exclusively associated with former British colonies and the islamic world.

Irish education is quite strange by international norms as it's basically full of quite traditionalist religious schools that were morphed into public schools. We also came very late to the notion of full free second level education, only achieving that in 1966. Most countries in Europe had done so much earlier on and and would tended to have seen school as a public service at all levels far earlier than we did.

We also lagged the US by a long time. I mean, if you consider how developed the US public school system was in the early 20th century. I know my elderly relatives in Dublin were talking about how shocked they were that their 'grown up' cousins (aged 16-18) were "still at school" when most of them in that part of Dublin were gone by age 12 or 14!

Interesting that this topic which assumes (without evidence) that Irish people segregate more by sex than other European/Western countries and that the reason for it (also claimed without evidence) is because of segregation in school has moved onto being only about school segregation, and it’s merits or demerits.

Since it has though - this is a report below from a US study. Limited but some support for single sex being marginally better.

No need to copy Europe then.

A systematic review published in 2005 covering 2221 studies was commissioned by the US Department of Education entitled Single-sex versus coeducational schooling: A systematic review. The review, which had statistical controls for socio-economic status of the students and resources of the schools, etc., found that in the study on the effects of single-sex schooling

"the results are equivocal. There is some support for the premise that single-sex schooling can be helpful, especially for certain outcomes related to academic achievement and more positive academic aspirations. For many outcomes, there is no evidence of either benefit or harm. There is limited support for the view that single-sex schooling may be harmful or that coeducational schooling is more beneficial for the student."
    "In terms of outcomes that may be of most interest to the primary stakeholders (students and their parents), such as academic achievement, self-concept, and long-term indicators of success, there is a degree of support for SS schooling.

I did provide you with a source for what I said, and you chose to dismiss it as wishful thinking in favour of your own individual experience. Fair enough like, but you can’t say a source wasn’t provided as evidence that what I said was fact.

Do you have a link or a quote that includes 30%?

Basically, like health here, we evolved our public service out of a mess of religious institutions and charities and a system that really preserved a Victorian model for far longer than should have been the case.

When you look at Ireland from an economic and social development point of view, until relatively recent decades it was a strange, conservative basket case.

I know this is boards.ie and After Hours, but since some people on the thread seem to be genuinely interested in the topic, if you ever get a chance e.g. you've access to an academic library, have a read of Ireland through European Eyes (Mervyn O'Driscoll, Dermot Keogh, and Jéôme aan de Wiel, Cork University Press). They analysed the internal documents and chatter of ministries for foreign affairs from Belgian, French, Italian, Luxembourg, Dutch, and West German politicians, commentators and policy makers in general in the period ahead of our joining the EEC, and after WWII.

It's a very interesting read, as we tend to only view ourselves and our relationship with the world through the lens of Anglo-Irish relations or discuss ourselves in the context of independence etc.

Some of the commentary about Ireland from those countries at that time was more positive than we'd think, but some was pretty critical of where we were socially and whether we were even compatible with modern Europe at all.

It's just interesting to compare what was going on in that period to modern Ireland. It's really been a head headspinningly fast transformation and you start to appreciate how we have some institutional quirks, especially in health and education that very much come from our legacy.

A highly conservative school system is something that we definitely tend to take for granted and assume is normal elsewhere. It's just one of the very obvious legacy issues of quite a different mid 20th century to most of Europe

I was just looking through the details of the Slovenian education system (looked at OECD and EU reports) and it seems that it would have its origins in a more soviet influenced era. It's 100% secular (if publicly funded which about 99% of schools are ) and there's actually no evidence that there are any single-sex schools at all.
    It's not Soviet influenced (they fell out with Stalin) but it is predominantly secular. There are a few religious grammar schools but all co-ed (I think single sex education might be illegal but I'm too lazy to look for source).

Anyway I gave an example of Slovenia and Sweden because I know the system in one country and the other one was first link in Google. Both imply that interpretation of single sex education on the map in the link is a bit disingenuous. I'm too lazy to search by country but I definitely agree with you that single sex schools in most countries I know are extremely rare.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭Electric Sheep

I actually don't think men and women can work closely together on teams in the workplace. This is from experience of several places.

I've been working closely on a team of the opposite sex for many years. We've never had any issues at all.

Perhaps maturity level plays into it.

From what I can see, you couldn't have picked a worse example of a place with gender-segregated schools.

I didn’t pick it though? It was meeeh who picked it, and Sweden, out of all the countries in Europe. I’m surprised nobody fingered Finland as the country Ireland should aspire to in terms of it’s education system tbh, but as it happens, this -

I knew it was about 10 years out of date, and it is, from 2007, because since then there have been a number of reports generated from the various stakeholders in Irish education about how to improve our education system, which always appears to be to their advantage, which I suppose is fair enough, it’s what any good self-involved lobby group would do.

I've lived on the continent (in several countries in Western Europe) and single sex education is very much a peculiarity of Britain and Ireland and much more so Ireland than Britain. It's practically unheard of in France for example and considered really weird.

The topic doesn't even tend to come up much as it's pretty much taken as a given that EU countries have mixed schools. I mean it would be like doing a report on single-sex universities. You'd get a look of disbelief that such a thing could even exist by many people.

We're very much the outlier on this topic.

The Irish and British fixation on school uniforms is also quite weird by international standards. It's something almost exclusively associated with former British colonies and the islamic world.

Irish education is quite strange by international norms as it's basically full of quite traditionalist religious schools that were morphed into public schools. We also came very late to the notion of full free second level education, only achieving that in 1966. Most countries in Europe had done so much earlier on and and would tended to have seen school as a public service at all levels far earlier than we did.

We also lagged the US by a long time. I mean, if you consider how developed the US public school system was in the early 20th century. I know my elderly relatives in Dublin were talking about how shocked they were that their 'grown up' cousins (aged 16-18) were "still at school" when most of them in that part of Dublin were gone by age 12 or 14!

The whole reason this thread went down the whole “education system” as the reason for some adults feeling about there was a barrier between them and the opposite sex was simply as a result of their own bias against an education system they grew up with.

Yet as is evidenced by far more people in Irish society who manage to get along with each just fine and don’t imagine there are any “barriers” between the sexes, or that one sex is the oppressor and it’s opposite the oppressed, the people who imagine they are being oppressed are by far and away simply a small minority of Irish society trying to promote their own ideas as for the good of all society, a sort of “won’t someone please think of the children” type who ignore the fact that parents generally are only interested in their own children, and those parents aren’t making the choices that lobbyists want them to make for their children.

Ireland's surged ahead on gender equality and women's rights albeit quite late, but it's done well, ranking 5th in Europe at this stage.

I certainly wouldn't credit any of that to the education system (at least not at primary / secondary level), as if you go back into our relatively recent history the position of the country on those kinds of issues was remarkably poor. The huge changes here began with much wider access to 3rd level and that began to occur in the 1970s and expanded very dramatically through the 80s and 90s. So, you're looking at a society that's been shaped largely by a 4 decades of economic improvements and a change of the guard - with a very different group of people running society.

Ireland's just gone through some of the most rapid social changes that have been seen in Europe in recent decades across a whole range of topics where we've basically gone from weird outlier on the very conservative side to often ranking in the same kind of league as the nordic countries.

• Registered Users Posts: 577 ✭✭✭mada82

In my place of work all the Irish men sit in groups with just men in the canteen. It’s the same with the Irish women.
    The only table with consistently mixed gender is the table the polish and Brazilians sit at.
    You could also say that the Irish and non Irish group together too though.

I didn’t pick it though? It was meeeh who picked it, and Sweden, out of all the countries in Europe. I’m surprised nobody fingered Finland as the country Ireland should aspire to in terms of it’s education system tbh, .

I never said Ireland should aspire to be like any other country. Education in Ireland is actually reasonably good (except maybe certain areas as languages). I gave those two examples to point out that map in your link is more wishful thinking than representation of actual situation. You are misrepresenting again.

• Advertisement

I never said Ireland should aspire to be like any other country. Education in Ireland is actually reasonably good (except maybe certain areas as languages). I gave those two examples to point out that map in your link is more wishful thinking than representation of actual situation. You are misrepresenting again.

There's no point in trying to present a picture that's different from reality and there's also a lot of sense in continuously critiquing and developing what we have and striving for the best. I don't see any reason why Ireland can't aspire to be up there at the very top of the league.

Alternative facts that fit your personal beliefs tend to bring outcomes like Brexit and Trump.

Facts based policymaking's the only way to go.

There's no point in trying to present a picture that's different from reality and there's also a lot of sense in continuously critiquing and developing what we have and striving for the best. I don't see any reason why Ireland can't aspire to be up there at the very top of the league.

Alternative facts that fit your personal beliefs tend to bring outcomes like Brexit and Trump.

Facts based policymaking's the only way to go.

I agree that education has to constantly improve but I replied because I hate when some present whatever their opinion is as a fact.

I agree that education has to constantly improve but I replied because I hate when some present whatever their opinion is as a fact.

Agreed!

There's a major issue with people plucking non-factual stats to muddy waters of online arguments.

I never said that you did! I said I was surprised that nobody fingered Finland as a country Ireland should aspire to, because Finland is usually the country that’s brought up in conversations about Irish education reform.

The map is an actual representation of the actual situation, and for someone who hates when people represent their opinions as fact, all you’ve rebutted my evidence with is cherry picking not just your own country, but your own individual experience, because you’re too lazy to bother doing your own homework.

Personally, I think the Irish education system is a product of Irish society - it relies on parental involvement in their children’s education in order to achieve the best outcomes for their children. I don’t think there is any such thing as a one-size-fits-all type of education whether it be in terms of sex, gender, religion, learning ability or what are considered by many people to be learning disabilities, or any other measures you’d care to mention.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,787 ✭✭✭beejee

Same sex schools is a non-issue, it's nothing. If it didn't work we'd know by now.

If a person would rather it be like f%ckmenistan because some report sometime somewhere by someone may have indicated weakly that f%ckmenistani's have a 0.000005 better idea of how to shave goats therefore have improved lives... Well, f%ck off to f%ckmenistan and enjoy.

The guts of this thread just looks like another disguised rant about the Catholic influence in ireland. How thrillingly refreshing.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

Am enjoying this thread. :D

I belong to an Active Retirement group of about 65 members. I've often wondered why only women seem to join these groups even though there's no rule saying men can't join. The group to which I belong is 100% women. I know there can be exceptions to this situation, but still, the number of men joining this type of organization is very low.

There is an organization such as Men's Shed, which specifies by the name that it's "Men Only", but Active Retirement does not specify gender.

Am enjoying this thread. :D

I belong to an Active Retirement group of about 65 members. I've often wondered why only women seem to join these groups even though there's no rule saying men can't join. The group to which I belong is 100% women. I know there can be exceptions to this situation, but still, the number of men joining this type of organization is very low.

This is just my opinion, but I would guess it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. A lot of men are uncomfortable with a large majority of women in a group. I do some running and there is a local group I could join, but they are 90% women. To put it bluntly women in a large group talk too much and about topics in which i have little interest. There is also a more fussy vibe when you get a bunch of women together than with a bunch of men.

Also many older men spend most of their time with their wives so don't want to spend even more time with women.
    There is an organization such as Men's Shed, which specifies by the name that it's "Men Only", but Active Retirement does not specify gender.

This is more attractive to older men as they can be sure there won't be women there, and they can indulge in whatever nerdy hobbies and have a good bitching session at the same time free of judgement.

A good balance works better.

Great retort there BeeJee. Nothing re-enforces an argument like xenophobic slurs towards made up countries.

Great retort there BeeJee. Nothing re-enforces an argument like xenophobic slurs towards made up countries.

To be fair, the ridiculous argument that some adults put forward that some imaginary barrier that they perceive between the sexes correlates that strongly with their own education as children, deserves to be ridiculed. The point being of course that if other countries do things so much better than Ireland, those people are perfectly free to leave and go to those countries.

The OP assumes that it is Catholicism is predominantly responsible for this perceived barrier between the sexes, when Catholicism actually encourages mixing between the sexes as complementary to one another. Meanwhile, I’m not quite sure I would call it progress when our political representatives are waving their knickers about in the Dail, our Taoiseach is trying to use their influence to woo Kylie Minogue, and the director of the Rape Crisis Network of Ireland is suggesting that girls in school should be taught that boys are a danger to them.

A basket case of a country and we’ve come a long way you suggested earlier? I suppose it depends upon one’s own perspective and what values they want instilled in their own children.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,480 ✭✭✭Vicarious Function

This is just my opinion, but I would guess it becomes a self fulfilling prophecy. A lot of men are uncomfortable with a large majority of women in a group. I do some running and there is a local group I could join, but they are 90% women. To put it bluntly women in a large group talk too much and about topics in which i have little interest. There is also a more fussy vibe when you get a bunch of women together than with a bunch of men.

Also many older men spend most of their time with their wives so don't want to spend even more time with women.

This is more attractive to older men as they can be sure there won't be women there, and they can indulge in whatever nerdy hobbies and have a good bitching session at the same time free of judgement.

Is it just me, or does this have some misogynistic undertones?

Summing up with
    I don't see where this applies to what went before.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,516 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

That’s why as long as they’ve been around, ET schools haven’t really been very successful in this country.

This is grade A bulls**t. There is overwhelming unmet demand for places in ET schools, and for more ET schools. However ET have faced and still face massive resistance from vested interests, the catholic church and the Department of Education. They're also subject to a lot of unjustified attacks from ignorant people.

Scrap the cap!

This is grade A bulls**t. There is overwhelming unmet demand for places in ET schools, and for more ET schools. However ET have faced and still face massive resistance from vested interests, the catholic church and the Department of Education. They're also subject to a lot of unjustified attacks from ignorant people.

If you’re going to say something I said is grade A bulls**t, you could at least quote it in context -

There is an overwhelming unmet demand simply because there aren’t enough ET schools. Why aren’t there enough ET schools? Because not enough people actually care enough about wanting ET schools to campaign for them. Of course they face massive resistance from vested interests in the Church, from the DOE, and the lack of support from parents who are aware of the ET philosophy and simply don’t want to support it because they have a preference for the type of education provided by traditional educational institutions.

My own personal opinion on ET schools is that they’re fine. They’re not the type of education I would choose for my own child, but when I was asked to support the funding for the establishment of a local ET secondary school, I was fully supportive of it because I’ve always supported diversity in education models, whether it be the ET model, Gaelscoileanna, Steiner model, single-sex or mixed schools, special educational needs schools and even home schooling is becoming popular in Ireland with parents who have either become disenfranchised with the Irish education system, or their children have experienced being bullied in school, or they are simply of the opinion that their children are not thriving and realising their full potential in a mainstream school environment.

ET are competing in the education sector in a very different society to the way society was when they were originally established, and have found themselves in the rather uncomfortable position of having to accommodate a majority of Catholic children, whose parents are trying to avoid their children mixing with immigrant children in Catholic schools!

Bigoted, ignorant, blinkered nonsense with a good old racist slur thrown in. Congratulations.

If you’d care to point out what was either bigoted, ignorant or blinkered about my post that would distinguish it from your own opinions about religion, I’m all ears.

Racist slur? Where? What precisely did I say that you have somehow managed to interpret as racism on my part?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,516 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There is an overwhelming unmet demand simply because there aren’t enough ET schools. Why aren’t there enough ET schools? Because not enough people actually care enough about wanting ET schools to campaign for them.

You don't have the slightest clue. There are lots of people campaigning for ETs. They can't make the Dept of Education do their bidding, though. In my area the DoE didn't consult with parents at all, and just expanded the existing religious schools. There is no accountability for decisions such as this.

In areas where there isn't an increase in demand, the only possibility is divestment, and this is being resisted vigorously by the usual vested interests.

ET are competing in the education sector in a very different society to the way society was when they were originally established, and have found themselves in the rather uncomfortable position of having to accommodate a majority of Catholic children, whose parents are trying to avoid their children mixing with immigrant children in Catholic schools!

Parents who seek out ETs are not racists. ETs are more diverse than average. Your comment is inaccurate and nasty but par for the course.

Scrap the cap!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,495 ✭✭✭✭eviltwin

Parents choose the ET model to get away from a Catholic education not to get their kids away from Catholic kids. I like my son mixing with children of all faiths once their dogma isn't being taught as fact

• Advertisement

That comment in #93 doesn’t even make any sense. The majority of ET schools are extremely diverse. Parents choose them because they want a secular and pluralistic environment and diversity. ET doesn’t “accommodate” Catholics - it’s completely open and welcoming to them!

it’s 100% open to ALL students regardless of religious or non religious backgrounds! That’s the whole point of it. The hint is in the word “together”

You don't have the slightest clue. There are lots of people campaigning for ETs. They can't make the Dept of Education do their bidding, though. In my area the DoE didn't consult with parents at all, and just expanded the existing religious schools. There is no accountability for decisions such as this.

In areas where there isn't an increase in demand, the only possibility is divestment, and this is being resisted vigorously by the usual vested interests.

I didn’t say there weren’t lots of people out campaigning for ETs. I know bloody well there were, I met plenty of them when they came looking for funding. What I actually said was that there weren’t enough, and there aren’t enough people interested or the expansion of the ET model wouldn’t have been as hampered as it is now. Don’t try and tell me for a minute that the Irish people when they want something badly enough they aren’t able to gain support for it to bring about change in Irish society!

Parents who seek out ETs are not racists. ETs are more diverse than average. Your comment is inaccurate and nasty but par for the course.

Plenty of them are. That might not square with your own personal beliefs, and it’s still not a racist slur whatever way you want to try and paint it. Racism refers to race or ethnicity, I didn’t refer to either. I said that Catholic parents didn’t want their children mixing with immigrants in Catholic schools. There’s nothing racist on my part in that statement of fact. Not only was your claim that I made a racist slur inaccurate, but it was par for the course on your part that you would take something I said and try to make something of it that I didn’t say.

You couldn’t just accept that I myself don’t have any issues whatsoever with the existence of the ET model of education, nor do I have any issue with any model of education, because as I said there is no such thing as a one size fits all model of education. ETs btw aren’t any more diverse than average, when the majority of schools in Ireland are religious ethos schools, 70% of them coed, catering to all sociodemographics including many DEIS schools in socioeconomically deprived areas with far more ethnic mix in them than ET schools.

That’s quite the nasty and baseless accusation against parents who actually go out of their way to deliberately pick the most inclusive and open form of education out there.

So basically you’re accusing parents of being racists who opt to send their kids to a public school that’s founded on the very principle of diversity and pluralism and having a totally neutral stance on ethos.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! It’s also a slur against catholic families who opt to send their kids to secular and pluralist schools.

That’s quite the nasty and baseless accusation against parents who actually go out of their way to deliberately pick the most inclusive and open form of education out there.

So basically you’re accusing parents of being racists who opt to send their kids to a public school that’s founded on the very principle of diversity and pluralism and having a totally neutral stance on ethos.

That makes absolutely no sense whatsoever! It’s also a slur against catholic families who opt to send their kids to secular and pluralist schools.

There wasn’t so much as a peep out of you when I pointed out the comments of the director of the Rape Crisis Network Ireland suggesting that boys are a danger to girls in schools, but as soon as I say something that you find objectionable, you’re on that like a hot snot :pac:

It’s neither nasty, nor baseless. It’s reality. I’m not accusing parents when they’ve told me straight out that they don’t want their children mixing with immigrants in Catholic schools, so the alternative is to try and get them into an ET school where they’re not entirely on board with their ideas, but at least their children’s education isn’t suffering, as they see it. As uncomfortable a fact as that might be for you to have to grasp, it’s the predominant reason behind the recent upsurge in the popularity of the ET model that wasn’t there before when there weren’t as many immigrants in this country as there are now. Parents are of the impression that their children’s education is being “held back” by immigrant children whose first language is not English.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

it has been my experience that one female friend in a group of lads is grand, even a great addition. but more than one...spoils the broth. i cant really explain it. something goes wrong with the group dynamic.

this would seem to tally with the many women who say something like "i always had mostly guy friends".

my education was mixed sex schooling from age 3 to 23 and my friends have always been 99% lads so i dont buy the same sex school argument.

• Advertisement
Advertisement