Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Adults wearing sports jerseys for leisure

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,758 ✭✭✭Brock Turnpike

My wife gives out all the time about the amount of tshirts I own, it must be about 100 at this stage. I don't particularly care if its a sports jersey or a "normal" t-shirt, I'll put on whatever is comfortable and close to hand.

How many jerseys do you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,539 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

How many jerseys do you have?

25+ I would imagine. Most of which never get worn, I just don't get rid of them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

I would personally have a couple of jerseys that I’d would wear if I was going to an away match. But with rugby shirts you have the option of getting one that isn’t the same as the one the players wear. I wouldn’t wear those when I’m not going to a game. I’d have the players one that I wear when playing sports or hitting the gym.

Have to agree that it is extremely unsightly to see tradesmen or builders poured into stretched and faded Man United jerseys or some scrote in town shuffling about in a Celtic one.

With anyone over 30 walking around in a jersey who’s not attending the game or playing themselves it just conjures the image of Sundays spent sitting in a pub all day shouting at screen and then heading home in the evening for a few cans of Tennents or Carling while smoking in the living room. It’s all very sad.

The GAA jersey, Dublin specifically, wearers you see aren’t much better. The material isn’t suited to non-sporting activities and just look off.

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,024 ✭✭✭✭EmmetSpiceland

Oh, and don’t get me started on the “full kit wanker” turning up to 5-a-side soccer or elsewhere!

“It is not blood that makes you Irish but a willingness to be part of the Irish nation” - Thomas Davis

• Administrators Posts: 54,091 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

Oh, and don’t get me started on the “full kit wanker” turning up to 5-a-side soccer or elsewhere!

Or fully grown men with names and numbers printed on the back of their jersey.

I just think it's fairly sad that a man beyond his early 20s finds it acceptable to walk around in a jersey.

Inter-county jersey wearing muck Savages are the worst of all offenders. Embarrassing to see them traipsing around abroad giving us a bad name.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,055 ✭✭✭JohnnyFlash

Have to agree that it is extremely unsightly to see tradesmen or builders poured into stretched and faded Man United jerseys or some scrote in town shuffling about in a Celtic one.

There's few things more useful in telling you to avoid someone than seeing them wearing a Celtic jersey. Bonus clue if they have a neck and/or sleeve tattoo.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭Ray Palmer

One of the worst sights in the world is an overweight women wearing a team top,tucked into skin tight jeans, straw hat, wollen plated team color string while barely able to walk in high heels.
    Used to live near Croke Park and would see this every Sunday.

I just think it's fairly sad that a man beyond his early 20s finds it acceptable to walk around in a jersey.

Inter-county jersey wearing muck Savages are the worst of all offenders. Embarrassing to see them traipsing around abroad giving us a bad name.

I'm off today, I'm currently sitting in a jersey and a pair of shorts (not matching obviously). Whats the issue? I've to go to town later but will get changed before I leave.

I'm off today, I'm currently sitting in a jersey and a pair of shorts (not matching obviously). Whats the issue? I've to go to town later but will get changed before I leave.

Would you go out in public like that?

• Advertisement

Would you go out in public like that?

In shorts and a jersey, no.

In shorts and a jersey, no.

Fine. Keep that **** private.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

odyssey06 wrote: »
    After Hours has a strict no team colours policy.

Come on the pool:D

Fine. Keep that **** private.

I was wearing a jersey in public yesterday

I was wearing a jersey in public yesterday

How old are you? And were you playing a sport at the time?

• Registered Users Posts: 784 ✭✭✭kirk buttercup

is it any different than the schoolyard mums uniform of yoga pants or running gear and a latte with the sun glasses on their head (probaby already a forum on this too, I haven't checked ) but you know what if it makes them happy ,cool knock yourself out . I don't wear Jerseys even though I live and breathe sport and spend most of my time coaching and up at a rugby club, I wear rugby track tops when i'm at my club (its always funny to see kids reactions to you when your not in the club and not wearing rugby clothing , its like the recognise you but somethong is not right ) I have no objection to people wearing them if it makes them feel part of something or they just like them .

I have a far bigger issue with people wearing flip flops and wooly hats its either hot or cold you gob****e ! just kidding wear what you like . Oh and for the record I like books and Netflix that was a ridiculous statement .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

It's not exactly coming across as mature when you're responding as you are.

I'm 35 and I went from managing a team early yesterday to watching a match afterwards.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

I would rather wear my Connacht rugby top than a ralph lauren (or similar brand) T-shirt, or polo shirt that has a Polo logo 1/2 the size of a real shetland pony........the wearing of most clothes comes with some sort of social messaging..

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

Just announced on liveline: wearing of pajamas on public streets is being made illegal.

Maybe football tips & tracksuits will follow! :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 30,820 ✭✭✭✭freshpopcorn

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    Just announced on liveline: wearing of pajamas on public streets is being made illegal.

Maybe football tips & tracksuits will follow! :)

I'm not sure but remember what day Today is.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,203 ✭✭✭partyguinness

OP you mentioned that they are still in college so I am guessing they must be anything from 18-22 or thereabouts.

Yes I agree that wearing jersey when you are past being a student is just sad and downright pathetic.

But I wouldn't worry about it. I was in university 20 years ago and I can recall plenty of student friends/acquaintances who are now in responsible adult jobs and professions who wore football jerseys.

I remember one friend who lived in a Celtic top- he is now a partner is a large multinational law firm pulling in over €200k a year.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,482 ✭✭✭Gimme A Pound

No worse than a middle aged person calling themselves "woke".

Gwynplaine wrote: »
    People wearing GAA jerseys abroad is the worst. Avoid like the plague.

Nothing made me more proud of Ireland than sitting in a subway tram in NY when a bunch of pasty coloured lads in Tipp GAA attire hopped on...those snow white muscular legs accentuating the black layer of curly leg hairs...brought tears of pride to my eye.

I'm 35 and I went from managing a team early yesterday to watching a match afterwards.

So you wore it to sporting event (s)?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,156 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

I'm not sure but remember what day Today is.

It was genuinely on Liveline but yes it was their April fools joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,627 ✭✭✭Woke Hogan

No worse than a middle aged person calling themselves "woke".
    I don't know how old you are yourself but I would suggest you conduct yourself with a little more maturity rather than making passive aggressive digs towards a person's fake internet name.

• Registered Users Posts: 224 ✭✭sdraobs

I remember one friend who lived in a Celtic top- he is now a partner is a large multinational law firm pulling in over €200k a year.

i seriously doubt that. there are very few multinational law firms in ireland, and how would you know what they make. plus they dont make near 200k euros. i knew a guy doing law in college who wore celtic jersey alot of the time. he organises marketing for nightclubs last i heard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

I was in a pub last year, on a Sunday afternoon, and there were a couple of grown men watching the Formula 1, wearing McLaren and Ferrari caps, t-shirts, etc. I don't know why, but I found it hilarious.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,555 ✭✭✭Roger Hassenforder

I was in a pub last year, on a Sunday afternoon, and there were a couple of grown men watching the Formula 1, wearing McLaren and Ferrari caps, t-shirts, etc. I don't know why, but I found it hilarious.

Ahh, F1
    the sport for people who dont like sports

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

Fella I work with often wears spurs jersey on casual Fridays. Nobody bats an eyelid

He also wore a spurs official jacket (big winter coat jobbie) to the mansion house for a Christmas lunch and he got loads of compliments including from the wife of a extremely wealthy America guy

I’ve seen lads doing same watching horse racing. Wear the likes of coolmore branded bubble waistcoats, Ruby Walsh t shirts etc.

gives them a bit of self esteem. No harm in it.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

sdraobs wrote: »
    i seriously doubt that. there are very few multinational law firms in ireland, and how would you know what they make. plus they dont make near 200k euros. i knew a guy doing law in college who wore celtic jersey alot of the time. he organises marketing for nightclubs last i heard.

I know a fella who wore Man Utd jerseys, he lives part-time as a woman now.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 77,534 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

I mainly buy them to stash away and peer at whenever I want to bring back memories of some of those matches in the dim and distant past

I am currently sporting my Gary Bailey 1985 FA Cup Final goalkeepers jersey - a very snug option for the returning winter. I've got a jersey with number 6 and Paul on the back - because that's my name, and Paul Pogba looks a bit like me - OK maybe what I might have looked like 30+ years ago, and if I was of African heritage, and had a decent physique. I treasure my 1968 European Cup Winners jersey, as I do my 1999 corresponding one, with 2 stars designating the fact it was the second time we won it. Of course I then had to buy the Moscow 2008 one

Reckon I have over 30 United jerseys in my private collection. Latest addition was a no 20 "Solskjaer" one

Also have an Irish cricket jersey, but I've switched my allegiance back to England since Eoin Morgan opted for them

:pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 668 ✭✭✭Dank Janniels

As long as you dont tuck it into your jeans you're grand!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

There is definitely an age when (outside of attending a match) it just seems silly to be wearing a sports jersey. Would say it's closer to 30 than forty though.

I disagree.

Most lads are pretty fit in their 30's. I'm 31 and I wear Jerseys the odd time mostly if I'm going for a 2 mile walk or hill climbing or watching a game at a pub or at an actual game.

It's the lads in their forties plus (not all lads obvs) with a bit of a pouch or beer belly that shouldn't be wearing shirts really. I won't be wearing or buying shirts in my forties TBH because most players are retired by then.

Besides, there's load of cool polo shirt options out there for older fans irregardless of the game they follow.

But like I said before who cares really. Wear what you want.

I disagree.

Most lads are pretty fit in their 30's. I'm 31 and I wear Jerseys the odd time mostly if I'm going for a 2 mile walk or hill climbing or watching a game at a pub or at an actual game.

It's the lads in their forties plus (not all lads obvs) with a bit of a pouch or beer belly that shouldn't be wearing shirts really. I won't be wearing or buying shirts in my forties TBH because most players are retired by then.

Besides, there's load of cool polo shirt options out there for older fans irregardless of the game they follow.

This is a terrible attitude. Wearing a jersey to the pub to watch a match. WTF? And it's "regardless" BTW.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

This is a terrible attitude. Wearing a jersey to the pub to watch a match. WTF? And it's "regardless" BTW.

I don't see the big deal..

What’s the big issue?

Loads of people have a strong allegiance to their team. They want to heavily support the team.

It’s a key part of their identity. Therefore they wear the jersey to the pub to show a bit of support to their heroes

Few pints bit of banter no harm in these dark times.

It’s not just English prem either. Gaa/rugger/even horse racing and formulae 1 as I said in earlier post. Some of the Ferrari clobber is s**t cool.

It’s a self esteem and identity issue

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,006 ✭✭✭EICVD

That should be the time to wear it, you know when you’re actually watching & supporting your team

• Advertisement

sdraobs wrote: »

He is still a personal friend of mine that's how I know. Doubt it all you want. Clearly you do not know the yearly salary of partners in large corporate law firms- I do.

EICVD wrote: »
    That should be the time to wear it, you know when you’re actually watching & supporting your team

Not an ad adult. Standing in a pub.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,812 ✭✭✭✭sbsquarepants

Was in a shop at the weekend - looking at the porridge of all things. Some randomer comes up and says -

Randomer: So what do you think?
    Me, a bit puzzled: Eh, about porridge?
    Randomer: No, today I mean.
    Me: Oh, yea, it's OK not raining at least I suppose
    Randomer: No, how do you think it will go
    Me, puzzled again: Sorry - what are you talking about?
    Randomer: The match of course!

It was only then I realised I was wearing a Liverpool t-shirt!:o:o

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

I disagree.

Please don't ever use the words cool and polo shirt in the same sentence again.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

People can do what they want who cares what other people wear
    If you do then you probably need some professional help .

Personally I wouldn't wear a jersey and haven't since I hit about 20 , I leave it to my kids but I couldn't care less if someone else does,

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

What could be better than a football jersey on a roasting summers day? Its like going topless except you don't look like a knacker.

Can't see why anyone would have an issue with people wearing them, yes, even the *gasp* men in their forties who have the cheek to do so.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,814 ✭✭✭✭yourdeadwright

although I have no issue what anyone wears ,
    I would wonder about a grown man with a name and number on his back , its just a little odd for a grown up but again each to there own

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,536 ✭✭✭touts

Wearing jerseys serves a very valuable way to identify how dangerous the member of the working class who has called to your door is.

Rugby jersey - probably a decent chap, aspires to be one of us. Keep an eye on him and you'll get through the situation unharmed.
    English Premiership - His mate is probably breaking in your back door while you're talking at the front. Play it cool and you'll just lose the keys to the Beemer.
    Scottish Premiership - It's a tiger kidnap situation. Just give him whatever he wants.

Stab*City wrote: »
    Please don't ever use the words cool and polo shirt in the same sentence again.

What's wrong with polo shirts?

• Advertisement

I'm a terrible person, what can I say?

Either is acceptable BTW

Advertisement