Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

New rules re asylum seekers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Can't read the article due to pay wall but I would presume it is to do with the difficulty of obtaining accurate information from a country a person is claiming asylum from.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,063 ✭✭✭riemann

tretorn wrote: »
    Why is this chilling, is it because it might affect gravy train lawyers as in they might have to do a bit of work.

Bad news for audi dealers and cocaine dealers.

Expect an increase in compo claims to fill the hole. I'm off to buy a dashcam.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

tretorn wrote: »
    https://www.irishtimes.com/news/crime-and-law/chilling-new-direction-on-asylum-and-immigration-cases-1.3757996

Why is this chilling, is it because it might affect gravy train lawyers as in they might have to do a bot of work.

I think its very sensible to ascertain if a person has a criminal record in another jurisdiction before we give them leave to stay here.

What Am I missing.

Basically, lawyers are being asked to provide basic documentation, and to declare whether the asylum seeker has been involved in criminality - something one would have thought would have been a prerequisite for an asylum application already.

The only "chilling" thing about this is that these rules weren't in place before now.

Cue pearl-clutching and hysteria by immigration lawyers and quangos who might have to actually examine if some of those arriving are really deserving of asylum.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,166 ✭✭✭Fr_Dougal

The information required includes “every statement/representation made by the applicant or by any other member of his/her family . . . to any immigration body in Ireland or other jurisdiction”. It also requires them to produce details of criminal or civil proceedings in which their clients have ever been involved in the State or elsewhere.

About time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,204 ✭✭✭✭One eyed Jack

Can't read the article due to pay wall but I would presume it is to do with the difficulty of obtaining accurate information from a country a person is claiming asylum from.

Clear your browser cookies and try again ;)

But yeah, that’s the basic upshot if it - makes more work for the lawyers representing applicants in these types of cases.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/357404/prison-term-for-emotional-man-who-bit-gardas-arm-during-limerick-assault.html

I say fewer Mr. Baah's in the state would be good for Ireland. Not good for solilcitors' pockets, but good for Ireland.

I welcome this.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,105 ✭✭✭Kivaro

It makes complete sense for the President of the High Court to request this information. What are the numbers of asylum seekers applying in Ireland after being refused in Britain? Greater than 50% from mostly Indians and Pakistanis is one estimate.
    It's a farce and the President of the High Court is trying to rectify the obvious flaw in our asylum process.

However, this will not stop the gray-train solicitors from using words like "chilling effect" and "gravely concerned" when asked to comply with the new High Court direction.

According to the Times Article:
    One source said the entire list of immigration lawyers was “in revolt”.
    Of course they are. We might finally be getting a level playing field in the lucrative asylum industry.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 15,851 ✭✭✭✭Beechwoodspark

It is not one bit chilling.

Very necessary and in truth doesn’t go far enough.

Hopefully will have a huge effect and cut down these frivolous last minute attempts to pervert justice.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,165 ✭✭✭Captain Obvious

Kivaro wrote: »
    It makes complete sense for the President of the High Court to request this information. What are the numbers of asylum seekers applying in Ireland after being refused in Britain? Greater than 50% from mostly Indians and Pakistanis is one estimate.
    It's a farce and the President of the High Court is trying to rectify the obvious flaw in our asylum process.

However, this will not stop the gray-train solicitors from using words like "chilling effect" and "gravely concerned" when asked to comply with the new High Court direction.

According to the Times Article:
    Of course they are. We might finally be getting a level playing field in the lucrative asylum industry.

Are they not paid the same rates as legal aid for criminal cases?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

topper75 wrote: »

I say fewer Mr. Baah's in the state would be good for Ireland. Not good for solilcitors' pockets, but good for Ireland.

I welcome this.

70 previous conversations and were still keeping him here ...........

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 193 ✭✭Sonic Youth

Gatling wrote: »
    70 previous conversations and were still keeping him here ...........

Sure the poor baby might get mistreated if he was sent home.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,800 ✭✭✭tretorn

When I hear solicitors with their noses in the trough saying a new development is chilling I am inclined to think whatever they object to is a good idea.

What on earth can be wrong with digging into an asylum seekers background to see if they have criminal convictions, leopards dont change their spots and surely forewarned is forearmed. Who really wants people getting asylum if for example they are a danger to young women.

Wouldnt you think our esteemed Irish Times could at least remain biased and present some facts instead of reporting nonsense like this.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

I don't see any problem we have enough criminals in this country without inviting more in

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

Gravelly wrote: »
    Basically, lawyers are being asked to provide basic documentation, and to declare whether the asylum seeker has been involved in criminality - something one would have thought would have been a prerequisite for an asylum application already.

The only "chilling" thing about this is that these rules weren't in place before now.

Cue pearl-clutching and hysteria by immigration lawyers and quangos who might have to actually examine if some of those arriving are really deserving of asylum.

The entire system is messed up.

It should be as easy as can be.

Day 1 : hearing
    Day 2 : judgement
    Day 3 : appeal if judgement was deportation

It is not asylum that affects the majority in the process it is that they're trying to have a first world life.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,200 ✭✭✭imme

topper75 wrote: »
    https://www.limerickleader.ie/news/home/357404/prison-term-for-emotional-man-who-bit-gardas-arm-during-limerick-assault.html

I welcome this.
    How does someone from Guinea end up claiming asylum in Ireland.

Advertisement