Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Should cycling two abreast be allowed?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,624 ✭✭✭✭meeeeh

Weepsie wrote: »
    Then yes it should be absolutely legal. That standard of driving here is pretty crap, and there are far, far bigger issues than cyclists being 2 abreast on our roads.

Energy consumption, environmental damage, societal health issues, deaths caused by vehicular accidents are all far bigger problems.

There is an article about new puritans in Guardian atm. Apparently they are all eco warriors. You are avoiding answering very simple question with pointing to separate issues. I cycled in central Europe where one abreast is what you are supposed to do. I would much prefer that to Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,487 ✭✭✭Fighting Tao

https://www.cyclemanual.ie/manual/thebasics/width/
    this calims a cyclist to be 750mm wide

Measure your shoulders and allow for the extra layers of fat you probably have from being stuck in your vehicle. Once you subtract the amount for the fat layer pull your shoulders forward as that’s what happens when holding the hoods of a road bike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,523 ✭✭✭the_pen_turner

Measure your shoulders and allow for the extra layers of fat you probably have from being stuck in your vehicle.

im not sugesting that a person is 750mm wide.
    i dont know how they worked that out but i would asume that includes any movement side to side caused by pedalling or maybe your knees stick out as they bend .

its there for some reason.

im not sugesting that a person is 750mm wide.
    i dont know how they worked that out but i would asume that includes any movement side to side caused by pedalling or maybe your knees stick out as they bend .

its there for some reason.

And the law permitting 2 abreast is there for some reason.

And the law permitting 2 abreast is there for some reason.

i have no problem with that when its safe to do so and isnt holding up traffic

• Registered Users Posts: 4,639 ✭✭✭andekwarhola

flazio wrote: »
    Some people get out cycling as a social thing.
    Hard to be social if you can't talk to other cyclists.

True.

I can't enjoy driving myself without somebody to talk to in the passenger seat.

You just argued against yourself.

They are traffic.

Also preventing motors from overtaking dangerously is the safest thing to do.

True.

I can't enjoy driving myself without somebody to talk to in the passenger seat.

Not even with a phone held up to your ear? :p

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,315 ✭✭✭Sam Hain

Why the Lols? Lots of cubs and scouts hike on road for parts of a hike

hahha, LOLs galore whenever you post, you seem to live in an Enid Blyton book. You make out that not cycling is the sin of the century. Typical holier than thou attitude. No wonder the majority of people hate cyclists, you embody every characteristic that creates these attitudes.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

if it's holding up traffic then it isn't safe to overtake. It's not hard to understand that concept really!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,240 ✭✭✭✭Hurrache

meeeeh wrote: »
    There is an article about new puritans in Guardian atm. Apparently they are all eco warriors. You are avoiding answering very simple question with pointing to separate issues. I cycled in central Europe where one abreast is what you are supposed to do. I would much prefer that to Ireland.

Your post makes no sense whatsoever in the context of Ireland. You want to pick and choose laws from other countries to suit you?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

If you can't overtake cyclists two abreast, you can't overtake them safely if they single out. The only way would be to close pass.

I live in the Wicklow mountains. Popular with cyclists and day trippers/ tourists. I'm held up far more by slow people in vehicles than I ever am by cyclists or cycling groups.

People seem happy enough stuck km after km behind slower drivers, but wait 30 seconds to safely overtake a cyclist and they lose their minds!

Sam Hain wrote: »
    you embody every characteristic that creates these attitudes.

You'll actually find that's stupidity and ignorance, large swathes of which can be found in this thread.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 29,443 ✭✭✭✭AndrewJRenko

Then yes it should be absolutely legal. That standard of driving here is pretty crap, and there are far, far bigger issues than cyclists being 2 abreast on our roads.

Energy consumption, environmental damage, societal health issues, deaths caused by vehicular accidents are all far bigger problems.

Strangely enough, traffic laws are not built around your, or anyone's, personal preferences.

Strangely enough, traffic laws are not built around your, or anyone's, personal preferences.

And Ireland is held up in the world as great example of cycling culture... oh wait...

• Advertisement

if it's holding up traffic then it isn't safe to overtake. It's not hard to understand that concept really!

no
    its very simle to understand

it is safe and legal to overtake 1 cyclist on a road 15.5 foot wide with my van for example

that same road would need to be 19 foot wide to legally and safely overtake 2 cyclists with a foot between them.

if the road is wider than 15/5 foot but narrower than 19 foot then cyclist 2 a breast is holding up traffic and creating a dangerous situation .

Hurrache wrote: »
    You'll actually find that's stupidity and ignorance, large swathes of which can be found in this thread.

do you ride your high horses two abreast also?

no

it is safe and legal to overtake 1 cyclist on a road 15.5 foot wide with my van for example

that same road would need to be 19 foot wide to legally and safely overtake 2 cyclists with a foot between them.

if the road is wider than 15/5 foot but narrower than 19 foot then cyclist 2 a breast is holding up traffic and creating a dangerous situation .

On a blind bend, yeah?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 68 ✭✭f@steddie

no

Therefore cycling 2 abreast should be banned?

Or how about in that situation cyclists drop back for 5 seconds to let people past?

If cyclists don't then it could be argued they are being dicks. Like all the motorists who overtake in unsafe situations. Or use their phone handsets while driving.

Just because some cyclists are dicks doesn't mean all are. Same for drivers.

Go through horsie areas and you’ll often see people on horses riding 2 abreast.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 719 ✭✭✭flatface

This old chestnut? Cycling 2 abreast makes overtaking easier not harder, but most importantly safer for all. The only overtaking it hampers is bad overtaking.

both.bmp

• Site Banned Posts: 20,686 ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

https://www.cyclemanual.ie/manual/thebasics/width/

only an average but it claims 750mm wide

the maths doesnt lie. 2 cyclists are clearly wider than 7 feet.

750mm is about 2ft6. Even with the wobble room in that link it's marginally over 3 ft

They clearly are not wider than the car. They are perhaps as wide as the car, but certainly not wider.

If you can count the space outside/inside a cyclist, as that seems to do, you should be nearly counting the same for a car too.

On a blind bend, yeah?

obviously not.

your only going to overtake when its safe to do so.

i have isolated the variables down to 1 cyclist or 2 .
    the facts are that
    2 cycists are wider than one
    require a lot wider road to over take on
    hold up more traffic
    put the secod cyclist in a lot more danger than single file

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,483 ✭✭✭Macy0161

f@steddie wrote: »
    Therefore cycling 2 abreast should be banned?

Or how about in that situation cyclists drop back for 5 seconds to let people past?
    Which has happened everytime I've ever been out in a group both club, social or sportive/ audax.

But, when it's safe to do so - hold 2 abreast until you can see far enough that an overtake can be done safely (rather than on a bend or brow of a hill) - so some idiot in a van doesn't try to squeeze past when they can't see what's coming.

obviously not.

your only going to overtake when its safe to do so.

i have isolated the variables down to 1 cyclist or 2 .
    the facts are that
    2 cycists are wider than one
    require a lot wider road to over take on
    hold up more traffic
    put the secod cyclist in a lot more danger than single file

But that is not the reality when out cycling. Many motorists love overtaking cyclists on blind bends. Many drivers see cyclists and just think that they have to pass them regardless of safety. So two abreast discourages idiotic behaviour from drivers and makes the world a safer place. It’s a good thing.

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,290 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

no

How is it creating a dangerous situation?
    The reality is that they are cycling completely legally and whilst it is advisable that they allow others to overtake when safe, you're pissed off because they are slowing you down.
    Also what you percieve as a safe place to pass may not be the same as what they judge. Perhaps they are discouraging you from driving in a manner that endangers them.
    What would you do if you met a tractor or someone on a horse?

750mm is about 2ft6. Even with the wobble room in that link it's marginally over 3 ft

They clearly are not wider than the car. They are perhaps as wide as the car, but certainly not wider.

If you can count the space outside/inside a cyclist, as that seems to do, you should be nearly counting the same for a car too.

i was allowing a foot of potholes etc then the 2 ft 6".

is another foot too much to allow between cyclists. i would asume not

flatface wrote: »
    This old chestnut? Cycling 2 abreast makes overtaking easier not harder, but most importantly safer for all. The only overtaking it hampers is bad overtaking.

both.bmp

Thanks for the simplistic drawing, but two abreast hardly ever looks like that, sometimes its 3 or more abreast in a staggered fashion. Two abreast only properly works with 2 cyclists. Maybe groups larger than 2 should be illegal on roads without cycle paths.

Nope, I only need one. And he's quite tall.

i was allowing a foot of potholes
    surely the car would also have a foot on its left for potholes too?

• Advertisement

Why the Lols? Lots of cubs and scouts hike on road for parts of a hike

hahha, LOLs galore whenever you post, you seem to live in an Enid Blyton book. You make out that not cycling is the sin of the century. Typical holier than thou attitude. No wonder the majority of people hate cyclists, you embody every characteristic that creates these attitudes.
    Do you find it hard to believe that cubs and scouts use roads?

If there is anything factually incorrect in any of my posts, feel free to point it out.

i was allowing a foot of potholes etc then the 2 ft 6".

is another foot too much to allow between cyclists. i would asume not

Surely the with of the road in your calculation should be narrowed by a foot each side then if it is not available to cycle or drive on. Therefore, you are agreeing that the road is too narrow to pass on. Congrats.

If there is anything factually incorrect in any of my posts, feel free to point it out.

I have never seen a group of scouts or cubs on the far side of bend. Surely scouts would hike in an area that is not as dangerous as a bendy road.

Thanks for the simplistic drawing, but two abreast hardly ever looks like that, sometimes its 3 or more abreast in a staggered fashion. Two abreast only properly works with 2 cyclists. Maybe groups larger than 2 should be illegal on roads without cycle paths.

How would what you say affect the image? even if cyclists fully filled the left carriage the driver can overtake if safe to do so by moving into the right carriage.

I have seen cycle groups in practice both from the bike and car and never seen a group where it was not possible to overtake given some patience to wait until a suitable point to overtake.

I have never seen a group of scouts or cubs on the far side of bend. Surely scouts would hike in an area that is not as dangerous as a bendy road.

Quite a lot of hiking trails cross roads and the crossings are not opposite each other. Other hiking routes incorporate roads

Exhibit A: https://www.irishtrails.ie/maps/Tain%20Way%20-%20Overview%20Map.pdf

How is it creating a dangerous situation?
    The reality is that they are cycling completely legally and whilst it is advisable that they allow others to overtake when safe, you're pissed off because they are slowing you down.
    Also what you percieve as a safe place to pass may not be the same as what they judge. Perhaps they are discouraging you from driving in a manner that endangers them.
    What would you do if you met a tractor or someone on a horse?

im not saying its ilegal. it is legal
    but it is stupid, dangerous and selfish on narrow roads.

saying that i am very seldom held up by cyclists. and even then its only a short time. its usually larger groups that hold you up .
    i am very good to overtake cyclists. i only overtake when its safe to do so and would rather wait than risk hurting someone

i often get held up by tractors . its the selfish ones that dont pull in that is the problem. horses arnt an issue either

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 373 ✭✭oLoonatic

If you give a decent amount space while overtaking 2 abreast shouldn't be a problem. overtaking centimeters away from a cyclist shouldn't be allowed.

My point is that 2 cyclists are occupying less space than a single vehicle, yet people have no problem sharing the road with these, overtaking them, going around bends, driving in roads in which they are coming the other direction .

Single out if it's safe to do so, by all means, but if a car can't overtake 2 abreast safely, its often the case that it can't overtake a single cyclist safely either

the diference is that i can overtake a vehicle allowing 1 foot between us and its fairly safe
    No, it's not.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

Do people not get bored having the same 'discussion' over and over again?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,337 ✭✭✭Wombatman

Rush hour in most cities and towns.

470346.jpg

But that is not the reality when out cycling. Many motorists love overtaking cyclists on blind bends. Many drivers see cyclists and just think that they have to pass them regardless of safety. So two abreast discourages idiotic behaviour from drivers and makes the world a safer place. It’s a good thing.

everyone on all sides does stupid and dangerous things.

i dont think 2 abreast helps. all it does is piss off drivers and if you have one of stupid ones behind they will overtake anyway.

i would much rather be cycling closer to the ditch than 2 abreast when someone comes around a bend in the middle of the road etc.

Try the roads around Larch Hill as the weather warms up, and see what you can find.

Regardless, even if no scout troop ever does this, you still can't drive blind around bends.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,366 Mod ✭✭✭✭RacoonQueen

i dont think 2 abreast helps. all it does is piss off drivers and if you have one of stupid ones behind they will overtake anyway.

i would much rather be cycling closer to the ditch than 2 abreast when someone comes around a bend in the middle of the road etc.

Piss of *some* drivers. Most drivers have absolutely no issue with cyclists riding two abreast.

Do you cycle much in groups?

surely the car would also have a foot on its left for potholes too?

potjholes isnt the right word there sorry. i mean more small holes and roughness that would endanger a cyclist but a car wouldnt really car about.

• Advertisement

Hurrache wrote: »
    Your post makes no sense whatsoever in the context of Ireland. You want to pick and choose laws from other countries to suit you?

But the question was should two abreast be allowed. Why is Ireland so different than countries where it is not allowed. As it happens the cycling facilities in Ireland are poor and the numbers of people cycling are pretty low and yet it seems that every cycling forum activist thinks how things are done here is superior to Central Europe with 1000s of km of dedicated cycling paths and fairly strict rules how to behave on roads (including not cycling drunk, using cycle paths or obeying red lights). I don't know maybe they have it wrong and the wild west type traffic in Dublin is what we should all strive to.

Do you cycle much in groups?

no never. what diference does that make

But the question was should two abreast be allowed. Why is Ireland so different than countries where it is not allowed.

List all the countries where it's not allowed (not Germany) which proves the fact that Ireland is an outlier on this.

And you'll get bonus points if you find one cycling advocate who claims Ireland do things better than Europe when it comes to how to do all things cycling. You'll find it's quite the opposite.

How would what you say affect the image? even if cyclists fully filled the left carriage the driver can overtake if safe to do so by moving into the right carriage.

I have seen cycle groups in practice both from the bike and car and never seen a group where it was not possible to overtake given some patience to wait until a suitable point to overtake.

I've seen them weaving in and out of formation on many a sunday morning at sunrise when there are very few vehicles on the road. These erratic movements make it difficulty to safely pass, as I have seen some cross the central white line.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

What a demented poll.

So the proposal is that I should not be allowed cycle beside my 7 year old, I have to go behind them?

Did the OP not cycle to school at any point?

• Advertisement
Advertisement