Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Catastrophic condition of roads in Cork city (pic heavy thread)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,139 ✭✭✭✭NIMAN

You have definitely highlighted something which the whole country can sympathise with OP.

But I would say you could pick any town or city in Ireland, and you would be able to find very similar examples.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,641 ✭✭✭zilog_jones

Trasna1 wrote: »
    I saw yesterday that Cork city has gotten extra funding for road repair and it looks like it's money desperately needed.

Well with the boundary extension, they're going to have a hell of a lot more roads to maintain. If it's not substantially more funding, it won't be enough to improve anything...

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

One of the local schools down my way organised a fun run recently,the evening before,some of the organisers marked the potholes on the route with yellow marking paint. They used a lot of it. As if by magic,the Monday after the run,all the marked potholes were filled.
    It's as if highlighting them shamed the council into action.
    That delay set tarmac (cold tar) that's used in many of the pictures in this thread is only for temporary repairs or not for areas of high traffic but the council thinks that it's grand for repairs on roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,543 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Diabhalta wrote: »
    Sullivan's quay

20180604_161056.jpg

Barrack st. bottom

20180604_161147.jpg

I'm noticing a lot more of this around Cork recently - drains, access covers, etc sinking 3+ inches into the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,735 ✭✭✭Diabhalta

Lia_lia wrote: »
    West Cork is desperate but you'd kind of expect it on country roads, not in the city!

Cork city is the second largest city in the country with about quarter of million people living here. Cork is very busy and the roads are not maintained properly according to this. Roads are literally falling apart and what is mentioned in this thread is only a drop in the ocean. It would take me many days to document everything in Cork.
    Trasna1 wrote: »
    I saw yesterday that Cork city has gotten extra funding for road repair and it looks like it's money desperately needed. Not to repair the road, but to train up some competent road repair men. Not sealing repairs is asking for trouble.

The root cause of the vast majority of the issues in this thread are poor remedial works, in particular the cutting and sealing of road openings for services. Potholes happen, but the chucking in of cold tar and letting the road traffic compact it is incredibly lazy and extremely wasteful since the "repair" won't hold. Potholes need to be cleaned out, stoned, compacted, tarred, compacted and finally sealed.

As you said, funding is one thing, but the other is using the money efficiently. If everything would be done properly the repairs would last much much longer and there would be no need to come back and fix the spots again (and make it worse eventually). Also money would be saved and spent elsewhere. But I guess if it's not their money they don't really treat it like their own. People are more less sensible with money they make and try to spend them wisely (well I know I do). But in this case it seems like it doesn't matter how much is spent and on what. It is utterly wrong and Cork could look much better and nicer if more effort would be put into the work done. Training and mentoring is definitely required at this stage.

Well with the boundary extension, they're going to have a hell of a lot more roads to maintain. If it's not substantially more funding, it won't be enough to improve anything...

I read about it in the news some time ago and that was the first thing that came up my mind. How the hell are they gonna be able to maintain all these extra roads if they are not able to keep current Cork roads in acceptable condition. It will be a disaster if something won't significantly change. At the moment it's already very bad.

When I read articles like this:

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/One-million-square-foot-of-new-office-space-in-the-pipeline-for-Cork-9355ec8f-9eac-4c78-8289-5b1b478efd1a-ds

http://www.eveningecho.ie/corknews/No-parking-spaces-in-planned-new-city-skyscraper-project-8361810a-2d73-4ae3-b680-3db1b8fb5c7b-ds

I always wonder if they actually will be repairing the roads to a high standard or just leave them as they are and keep repairing (I wouldn't call it repairs to be honest) them like they do now. You will have brand new shiny buildings surrounded by absolutely terrible roads. That makes no sense whatsoever. And some people commenting on facebook like "that's what Cork needs" and "wonderful news for Cork" ... they are clearly out of touch with reality. You just can't have new offices built and do nothing with the roads. Not just roads surrounding the buildings but all the roads in the whole city. New buildings with new cars on roads that resemble emmental cheese. Stupid.

• Advertisement

Harbour view rd., SuperValu

20180607_145915.jpg

20180607_145947.jpg

20180607_145937.jpg

20180607_150023.jpg

pedestrian crossing by the library

20180607_145030.jpg

20180607_145118.jpg

outside Credit union

20180607_145405.jpg

20180607_145421.jpg

20180607_145509.jpg

I wonder what would it look like if the Fire Brigade would drive over this in full speed in case of emergency.

Everything needs to be rebuilt.

2018-06-08_18.26.22.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 6,691 ✭✭✭Lia_lia

Pictures taken today. Still a mess.

20180531_120329.jpg

It's desperate here. Was driving from Western road today and right onto Sunday's Well and my car was rocking all over the place from the state of the road. Such a busy junction, as you said.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,404 ✭✭✭corkgsxr

Imo biggest issue is with repairs. They shovel out tarmac and give it a vauge Pat and away they go. If they took the Wacker out if the truck and compressed it properly it would last much longer and be flatter.

The truck they were using for a while to spray in tar and chips might as well be spraying into the air for all the good it done to potholes.

I'd prefer if they done 10000 potholes right than 100000 poorly

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,662 ✭✭✭Voodoomelon

Come to Dundalk for a day, we manufacture the highest quality potholes and poor road surfaces in the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Irish Water are presently working in Tivoli. They finish by throwing loose tar into the trench they dug and then they expect pedestrians to do the job of the steamroller by walking on it. A child would do better. Why can`t they just do the job properly? Are they being lazy? Is anyone responsible for making sure the work is done to a reasonable standard? Do they expect to get away with shoddy workmanship? Who is contracting them? Does the contractor care whether or not the job is done properly? It can`t be a money problem. A person can work hard for no pay at all, so surely, surely it is not too much to expect perfection when they are paid. Perhaps they are making a statement in modern art. Now, tell me, how does that pile of tar make you feel?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Irish Water are presently working in Tivoli. They finish by throwing loose tar into the trench they dug and then they expect pedestrians to do the job of the steamroller by walking on it. A child would do better. Why can`t they just do the job properly? Are they being lazy? Is anyone responsible for making sure the work is done to a reasonable standard? Do they expect to get away with shoddy workmanship? Who is contracting them? Does the contractor care whether or not the job is done properly? It can`t be a money problem. A person can work hard for no pay at all, so surely, surely it is not too much to expect perfection when they are paid. Perhaps they are making a statement in modern art. Now, tell me, how does that pile of tar make you feel?

Now, tell me, how does that pile of tar make you feeeeeeel?

tis terrible

• Registered Users Posts: 33,709 ✭✭✭✭Cantona's Collars

The contents of this thread have made it onto the journal.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 5,083 ✭✭✭mikeecho

Wait till this time next week, when all the roads will have melted, and flowed away.

On the n22 cork to macroom, at lissarda, just by the petrol station, the road melted the last time we had extreme heat, possibly 4 or 5 yrs ago.
    It was only properly resurfaced this year.. let's see if it holds up this coming week.

If not if could be a bumpy ride for those commuting for another 5 years.

• Registered Users Posts: 367 ✭✭pogsick

The contents of this thread have made it onto the journal.ie

http://www.thejournal.ie/roads-cork-city-4086343-Jun2018/

• Registered Users Posts: 9,605 ✭✭✭gctest50

Cutaway car - you can see the hammering your car is getting :

Let's wait and see what happens in July and August...

Let's wait and see what happens in July and August...

3 weeks have passed since I last posted here...

It seems Cork city council is focusing on painting the roads instead of fixing them.

Strawberry hill

20180705_124630.jpg

painting the lines outside Gate cinema in town in the middle of the night.

20180717_023636.jpg

Sunday's well rd. No need to tell people to go slow, roads are so bad everyone is driving slow anyway.

20180717_023931.jpg

anyway, back to the current situation in Cork city, only few bits just to remind everyone of the third world country infrastructure that we all use on daily basis.

outside AIB on Western rd. accross from UCC. Completely destroyed bit of road. Big loaded lorry driving over this slowly at around 20 km/h.. This whole part is waaay lower than the rest of the road.

20180718_185600.jpg

20180718_185608.jpg

Wandesford quay by the bridge. I can't wait for city council to fill all these and make bumps, instead of completely smooth surface.

20180716_131739.jpg

Friar's walk

20180716_141946.jpg

Lower Friar's walk between the pharmacy and the library

20180716_142136.jpg

btw. part of this road has been resurfaced like 3 years ago, guess what... it's bumpy now (that's a very short time for a brand new bit of road, it should last at least few decades?), this is an old pic from google:

Screenshot_20180718_211841_Maps.jpg

somewhere in Togher

20180716_151103.jpg

This manhole cover in Douglas... destroyed.

Screenshot_20180718_211505_Maps.jpg

and my favourite, the spot at the bottom of Strawberry hill... 2 patches appeared. Still waiting to be resurfaced. Like rest of the road from top to bottom.

20180718_185222.jpg

• Advertisement

I think tourists driving cars here must think Ireland is poor AF.

this...

20180718_202950.jpg

yeah... cos that'll do anything.

claim claim and claim for damage, that's what will make them fix things.

mikeecho wrote: »
    yeah... cos that'll do anything.

claim claim and claim for damage, that's what will make them fix things.

I would say removing and replacing that bunch of incompetent people (those in charge and those "repairing" the roads) would definitely help more.

Edit: I don't know, can somebody sue them? For being useless? That would be handy alright. It would be also handy if the government would be replaced by completely different people. By people that put interest of the citizens above everything else. I can't believe this is allowed in general by the public. I mean few hundred years back they would be hanged. No questions asked. Ok maybe that's a bit harsh but I don't think people were effing around back in the day. Today it's all white collar criminals laughing in people's faces. I'm not sure if the future is bright. Think about it next time you drive a car in Cork somewhere.

• Moderators Posts: 12,367 ✭✭✭✭Black_Knight

They did a bit of resurfacing on the Togher road (between Supervalu and Vicars road junction). Mostly just outside Supervalu at the crossroads, which was a similar to driving through Castlemartyr in quality.

Pity it was only a patchwork job. It's much better, but driving over it you can feel it's still uneven, so it's going to have puddles when the rain starts again. Looks poorly sealed at the joints too, and where it butts up against the path they didn't even compact some of it - prime for water ingress.

• Registered Users Posts: 647 ✭✭✭corcaigh1

I would say removing and replacing that bunch of incompetent people (those in charge and those "repairing" the roads) would definitely help more.

Edit: I don't know, can somebody sue them? For being useless? That would be handy alright. It would be also handy if the government would be replaced by completely different people. By people that put interest of the citizens above everything else. I can't believe this is allowed in general by the public. I mean few hundred years back they would be hanged. No questions asked. Ok maybe that's a bit harsh but I don't think people were effing around back in the day. Today it's all white collar criminals laughing in people's faces. I'm not sure if the future is bright. Think about it next time you drive a car in Cork somewhere.

Between the neverending property crisis, health crisis, homelessness, road conditions, huge taxes with nothing in return and cost of motoring increases and lots more im not disclosing, just the general crisis after crisis and corruption with no accountability I'm seriously considering leaving, I cant see it getting better ffs

corcaigh1 wrote: »
    Between the neverending property crisis, health crisis, homelessness, road conditions, huge taxes with nothing in return and cost of motoring increases and lots more im not disclosing, just the general crisis after crisis and corruption with no accountability I'm seriously considering leaving, I cant see it getting better ffs

Talking about leaving... Two of my friends actually left recently. When it comes to motoring there were two major issues that contributed to their decision. One of them is the insane insurance prices (full NCB and they want over 1000e for an older 1.8 car, that's clearly wrong) and the other is the condition of the roads. It's just not worth the effort anymore working and giving so much money away and get nothing in return. Paying 700+ euros a year in motor tax and drive a car on these roads. It's an insult.

The problem is actually bigger than it seems. It will require millions and millions of euros to make the place look good again. They obviously don't have the money or don't really care about the current state of the roads. There needs to be a major change in our society. Roads are only one of the little pieces in this big puzzle. New political party needs to be established that will have ALL the power and will to actually make everything better.

• Advertisement

Advertisement