Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Why do you throw your cigarette butts on ground you absolute scrotebag?

• 10-06-2019 1:45pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭

Here's a question, why do people think it's ok to throw cigarette butts on the ground? Whether it's from a car onto the road or outside a shop/pub/restaurant onto a footpath, why is this deemed acceptable? Is anyone here prepared to admit that they do it and if so, can you tell us why? Do you even consider it to be littering? Tell us why you're such a disgusting selfish tramp. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,450 ✭✭✭✭kneemos

Not littering.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

kneemos wrote: »
    Not littering.

How so?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 35,259 ✭✭✭✭o1s1n
    Master of the Universe

I did back when I smoked. Flicking something hot/potentially burning into a bin just seemed like a fire hazard. Always felt paranoid about starting a fire.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

Dirty smokers.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,865 ✭✭✭Deebles McBeebles

Omackeral wrote: »
    Here's a question, why do people think it's ok to throw cigarette butts on the ground? Whether it's from a car onto the road or outside a shop/pub/restaurant onto a footpath, why is this deemed acceptable? Is anyone here prepared to admit that they do it and if so, can you tell us why? Do you even consider it to be littering? Tell us why you're such a disgusting selfish tramp. Thanks.

Are you not off them long then?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Because it's really small - like if I take my glasses off it basically doesn't even exist.

Also my constant shortness of breath (nothing to do with smoking so don't even start) makes it tough for me to walk over to a bin.

Bins should be every 5-10 feet to make it possible for people like me to put our butts away tidily.

Omackeral wrote: »
    How so?

They get broken up under for or by traffic or rain.
    Never see butts,except maybe outside pubs.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

They get broken up under for or by traffic or rain.
    Never see butts,except maybe outside pubs.

That’s the greatest load of bollocks I’ve heard in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,042 ✭✭✭✭Fitz*

People that smoke while standing in a queue are up there with the worst people around. I don't want smoke being blown in my face while standing outside somewhere.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 52,136 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Omackeral wrote:

It's not acceptable, I'm a smoker myself and I don't do it. I dont smoke in the car cos of the kids and I have a cig bin at home for the butts which gets emptied periodically.

It becomes an issue sometimes when I'm out and about and there's no public bins anymore cos of the other type of scumbag who fills those with their household waste.

My secret tip is an empty extra box. Stub, ensure it's out and then deposit into the next bin I can find.

I suppose I could quit to avoid all of this but nah :P

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,736 ✭✭✭Irish Guitarist

There were potted trees on Tullow Street in Carlow a few ago. I say potted trees but nothing ever grew in the pots because the good folk of Carlow used them as ashtrays. There were hundreds of cigarette butts in every pot. They were there for about five years but the council eventually got the message that it was pointless having anything nice so they removed them.

There were potted trees on Tullow Street in Carlow a few ago. I say potted trees but nothing ever grew in the pots because the good folk of Carlow used them as ashtrays. There were hundreds of cigarette butts in every pot. They were there for about five years but the council eventually got the message that it was pointless having anything nice so they removed them.

Goes to show, if public bins or even "bins" are provided even pond scum like smokers will use them.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭FaxingBerlin

Theres no ashtrays about.

KikiLaRue wrote: »

The tobacco is biodegradable,the paper is so light it amounts to nothing.
    The filter is a fibrous material that once broken apart will blow away.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 475 ✭✭selwyn froggitt

Don't be a butt head

KikiLaRue wrote: »

I like this no-nonsense style. Plus, you're dead right.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,283 ✭✭✭KikiLaRue

Cigarette butts are the most common form of litter on earth, and after two years have only lost 37% of their mass.

I always google this stuff before I post because I hate looking stupid if I find my opinion is actually totally wrong.

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC4307979/

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I blame those who search for these butts and then smoke them. These homeless people are the real issue as they encourage it. In fact I would say that most of time people only throw these butts on the ground in hope that they will make a tramp's day.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

I wouldn't expect people who aren't concerned about polluting their lungs with a known carcinogen to be bothered by littering.

I saw this video recently. Really hammers home how much crap goes into your body from smoking:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HD__r66sFjk

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,316 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

I was at a family get together last friday at a pub in dublin. I went out for a smoke (I only smoke when I'm quite drunk, otherwise I have a little vape thingy) and was disgusted to see there were no ashtrays. Nothing at all. All the smokers had to stub them out on the ground.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 772 ✭✭✭the dark phantom

482420.jpg

RickBlaine wrote: »
    I wouldn't expect people who aren't concerned about polluting their lungs with a known carcinogen to be bothered by littering.

They probably stand around, beating their heads off walls too because they don't care about anything, the idiots.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,459 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

It's just blows away into the mists of time

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,464 ✭✭✭Ultimate Seduction

I regularly throw them on the ground, don't feel guilty about it because it's tiny in comparison to the van loads of rubbish I tip in the woods every month.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 53 ✭✭FaxingBerlin

540459-1.jpg

lawred2 wrote: »
    It's just blows away into the mists of time

Down the drains probably.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,459 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Down the drains probably.

And then they float off into the sunset

• Moderators, Music Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 25,734 Mod ✭✭✭✭Boom_Bap

Back when I was smoking, I was always walking around with a cigarette butt in my hand trying to find a bin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 607 ✭✭✭RickBlaine

They probably stand around, beating their heads off walls too because they don't care about anything, the idiots.

If I started smoking despite all the health warnings, and then developed lung cancer, I'd feel very idiotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 32,956 ✭✭✭✭Omackeral

482420.jpg

Jesus Christ he's cool AF.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,643 ✭✭✭victor8600

I think it is a tradition. Watch the reporter in this video at 0:31 throwing cigarette box wrapping casually away exiting the shop:
    https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/1960s-our-roving-reporter-woman-pipe-smoker/634962820210085/

RickBlaine wrote: »
    If I started smoking despite all the health warnings, and then developed lung cancer, I'd feel very idiotic.

We should get together and go shout this outside cancer wards.

victor8600 wrote: »
    I think it is a tradition. Watch the reporter in this video at 0:31 throwing cigarette box wrapping casually away exiting the shop:
    https://www.facebook.com/BBCArchive/videos/1960s-our-roving-reporter-woman-pipe-smoker/634962820210085/

Poor old Mary. All she has is the clay pipe.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,860 ✭✭✭Ragnar Lothbrok

I always knock the burning end off and stuff the butt in my back pocket until I find an ashtray or litter bin. The main problem with this is that I occasionally forget that I've got a stinking piece of rubbish in my pocket and it stays there for a few days. God, the smell of two day old cigarette butt is disgusting :(

I daren't even think how much I smell to non-smokers.

Advertisement